• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

OK thanks for explaining this. If that's the case then is there any point going sli for 4k 60fps as you need to lower settings to achieve this? Wheras one 980ti can hit 30fps 4k on ultra. It sounds as if the gains from sli are not worth it for 4k?

Do you think it would be wiser to wait for new technology in a year or so than go for two 980tis? Just trying to find out how future proof having two 980tis would be.
For 4K, you need SLI or CF. A single 980ti may average ~30fps, but there may be times it hits ~20fps which would be terrible. Go SLI / CF or don't do 4k.

I highly doubt even next year's card will be able to do 4k @ 60fps on a single GPU.

Rolfgang

Just bought parts for my new PC. I went with a 980 GTX Ti. The reviews and benchmarks seem good. Anybody here have one? How does it do for you with maxing out games?

Which one do you have? I have the Gigabyte 980 Ti Gaming G1 and I can play every game 'maxed out' (just disabling some fucked up settings sometimes, that almost do nothing, but are butchering your framerate) on 1440p. Currently playing The Witcher 3 on Ultra (Hairworks disabled) with 75-80 FPS. I have overclocked my 980 Ti to it's maximum on the stock BIOS tough.

ElTopo

Banned
There's still quite a bit of time until SF5 comes out, you may want to wait closer until then unless you really want to upgrade now. A good Intel i5 processor and motherboard will cost you about $300+ already, so that doesn't leave a lot for a graphics card. For a graphics card alone in the $200~300 range, I'd recommend an R9 290 for best performance, It's better than both a GTX 960 or R9 380 and costs around the same, the lowest priced models are a little over $240 after rebates.

Wait, do you currently have 4GB or 8GB of RAM? You said 2x2GB in the first post.

Anything cheaper with better performance? I ordered it off Amazon and cancelled the order once I read the reviews off Newegg with over half of them reporting that the card was faulty. Also, I read that that card requires 750 PSU which I only have a 550 currently.

For the record, I have 12 gigs of RAM now.

Wouldn't this card be better? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202099

I have sort of an odd request here.

My main PC has decided to kick the bucket, and I've had it for years.

But the only game I play is Counter Strike:Source. Yeah I know its a 10 year old game.

What would the cheapest computer build look like if I can get at least a max of 144 fps?

I would need the usual components into the tower.

I know my request is far below the scope of this thread but just wondering.

Thank you.

EDIT: Prefer a micro atx or smaller so its less weight to carry around. Need at least a PS/2 input in the back.

Anything cheaper with better performance? I ordered it off Amazon and cancelled the order once I read the reviews off Newegg with over half of them reporting that the card was faulty. Also, I read that that card requires 750 PSU which I only have a 550 currently.

Wouldn't this card be better? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202099

Yeah and they said the R9 290 gets really hot and loud too. I'm in the market for a $200 video card, and I'm leaning towards the R9 380 4GB version. All the benchmarks I've seen peg it better than the GTX 960. Newegg has a few R9 380 4GB models that are $219.

Out of these monitors which should I go for a Asus PB287Q (TN) or a Dell P2715Q (IPS)?

I think the Asus monitor has a shorter response time of 1ms (Gray-to-Gray) whereas the Dell has a response time of 6ms?

Will this make much of a difference in gaming?

Also I'm going to get a 980Ti and I wanted to know which brand/edition is coming out on top of the others at the moment.

I have my eye on the EVGA 980Ti Hybrid at the moment.

Two Words

Which one do you have? I have the Gigabyte 980 Ti Gaming G1 and I can play every game 'maxed out' (just disabling some fucked up settings sometimes, that almost do nothing, but are butchering your framerate) on 1440p. Currently playing The Witcher 3 on Ultra (Hairworks disabled) with 75-80 FPS. I have overclocked my 980 Ti to it's maximum on the stock BIOS tough.
That's good to hear. I haven't ever done overclocking before. Are they better nowadays at keeping you at a safe speed?

paskowitz

Just bought parts for my new PC. I went with a 980 GTX Ti. The reviews and benchmarks seem good. Anybody here have one? How does it do for you with maxing out games?

EVGA 980ti Classified here.

1080p: Max settings, >100fps every game
1440p: Max settings, >75fps every game
4K: Max settings, 45-60fps. High settings, 60fps every game.

My Classified is a bit of a pain to overclock, but otherwise is a beast.

Rolfgang

That's good to hear. I haven't ever done overclocking before. Are they better nowadays at keeping you at a safe speed?

If you invest some time in the overclocking, it's safe to overclock and quite easy to achieve. Just put your core clock and memory clock higher step-by-step and watch if you see any artifacts or - that's really easy to spot - if your driver crashes. In that case, dial it down a bit and do a stress test in a taxing game, such as The Witcher 3 or GTA V for an hour or two. If it's stable (no artifacts and no driver crashes), you are golden.

I have one. I can max out every game and they run at 60fps. Bare in mind I am playing games at 1080p resolution. I haven't found a game that I cant have max settings and achieve 60fps at 1080p.

EVGA 980ti Classified here.

1080p: Max settings, >100fps every game
1440p: Max settings, >75fps every game
4K: Max settings, 45-60fps. High settings, 60fps every game.

My Classified is a bit of a pain to overclock, but otherwise is a beast.

probably a noob question but what is the difference between the classified and my card? I have EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+. Is that not the same as yours?

Rolfgang

probably a noob question but what is the difference between the classified and my card? I have EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+. Is that not the same as yours?

No, it's a different card. The SC+ AXC 2.0+ is a reference card with a custom cooler, while the Classified has a custom cooler and custom pcb, so it will achieve a higher overclock.

For 4K, you need SLI or CF. A single 980ti may average ~30fps, but there may be times it hits ~20fps which would be terrible. Go SLI / CF or don't do 4k.

I highly doubt even next year's card will be able to do 4k @ 60fps on a single GPU.

Ah so it will be a long time before single cards can handle 4k @60fps on Ultra settings. Seems like sli is the way to go.

No, it's a different card. The SC+ AXC 2.0+ is a reference card with a custom cooler, while the Classified has a custom cooler and custom pcb, so it will achieve a higher overclock.

Ahh ok. thanks for clarifying. What difference would overclocking make to my card? As I haven't found a game it cant handle at the moment. Maybe its because I am only gaming at 1080p though.

Rolfgang

Ahh ok. thanks for clarifying. What difference would overclocking make to my card? As I haven't found a game it cant handle at the moment. Maybe its because I am only gaming at 1080p though.

Well, overclocking is meant to squeeze every little bit of power out of a card, so if you can run everything fine (as I would expect on 1080p), then you don't have to. On 1440p it's worth it to overclock tough.

paskowitz

I can overclock to roughly 1480/7800Mhz Boost/Memory on my Classified. I would say framerates are only marginally improved at 1080p but at 4K there is a noticeable positive difference. There is also a LOT more heat and a fair bit more noise. At 1080p an overclock is not not really necessary. I just like pushing things to the limit.

Soooooo
overclocking an i5 4690k

How high can they go without having to up voltage?
I've not overclocked yet (just got it 2 days ago) but wouldn't mind trying.

How much more heat do they produce when overclocked? I do enjoy how cool and quiet it stays atm.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Dear PC GAF:

My video card seems to be dead and I am wondering if I should scrap the system and buy something new or just get a new video card. Another option is to try to sell the parts or something.

My system:

-- Processors -- Intel Corei7-920 Processor (8MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz)
-- Memory -- 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs
-- Video Card --ATI Radeon HD 4670 512MB

I'd be willing to get a new card for $50-100 bucks. Don't need to play new games on high settings. "Last gen" games and indie titles with decent performance is fine.

SLX

Banned
OK I set the voltage to negative offset, here is what it looks like under load using AIDA64:

OlvWT9H.png

After I did the test, here is idle:

qZhyZUd.png

How do my voltages look now?

Temps:

9jkFgG2.png

Smokey

Yeah I've played with it at my local Best Buy a few times and hate the squishyness of it (compared to my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate). Doesn't really feel like a mechanical keyboard.

Can comment on this. I own 3 mechanical keyboards:

1. DAS Keyboard 4 Ultimate (blue)
2. Razer BlackWidow (blue)
3. Logitech G710+ (brown)

I much prefer the feedback from the Das and Razer. Read on this page that the g710+ uses dampers which makes perfect sense. It just feels...different. Think I want to try Red switches next tho.

For general typing the Das is gdlk.

RGM79

Which model of the R9 290 did you order? I don't remember recommending a specific one to you, I just linked you a price list of various R9 290 models as an example. The 750 watt requirement is just overblown, any normal R9 290 by itself will only consume around 250~300 watts. Guru3D's test system with R9 290 consumed around ~400 watts total.

The R9 280 like the one you linked is also an option, but I don't consider it as attractive as the R9 380 or GTX 960 because it's an older graphics card that won't benefit as much from future updates. It's already nearly three years old, but it is somewhat on par with the GTX 960 and R9 380 as well as being cheaper (as low as $150).

Yeah and they said the R9 290 gets really hot and loud too. I'm in the market for a $200 video card, and I'm leaning towards the R9 380 4GB version. All the benchmarks I've seen peg it better than the GTX 960. Newegg has a few R9 380 4GB models that are $219.

What was the context? They're probably thinking of the reference model R9 290, which you should never buy. Most of the AIB partner R9 290s are quite normal in terms of temperatures, maybe uncomfortably high if the graphics card is overclocked and/or the case doesn't get enough ventilation and airflow.

HDD starts rattling while I'm gaming.
20 mins later it's still going.

Turns out windows 7 is installing 151 updates-.-
I know auto update was on but I wish it wouldn't start while you're gaming, so annoying.

SRG01

Oh, it's still on Auto for offset. I suppose that works too? I manually defined (that is, typed) mine as 0.08 as shown in the screen shot below. I think the numbers turn red if you set it below 0.05 or so.

Be careful when you do this, because my system entered boot loops when I entered too low of a number. The only way I got out of it was to reset my BIOS through the jumpers. Try a moderate undervolt of 0.04 or so first.

dsWbyTx.jpg

Which model of the R9 290 did you order? I don't remember recommending a specific one to you, I just linked you a price list of various R9 290 models as an example. The 750 watt requirement is just overblown, any normal R9 290 by itself will only consume around 250~300 watts. Guru3D's test system with R9 290 consumed around ~400 watts total.

The R9 280 like the one you linked is also an option, but I don't consider it as attractive as the R9 380 or GTX 960 because it's an older graphics card that won't benefit as much from future updates. It's already nearly three years old, but it is somewhat on par with the GTX 960 and R9 380 as well as being cheaper (as low as $150).

What was the context? They're probably thinking of the reference model R9 290, which you should never buy. Most of the AIB partner R9 290s are quite normal in terms of temperatures, maybe uncomfortably high if the graphics card is overclocked and/or the case doesn't get enough ventilation and airflow.

Context was the Newegg reviews for the 2 cheapest models.

3 Days guys.

The evga GTX 960 is looking more and more likely.

Free copy of Metal Gear, price is down to $229 on Amazon, free shipping (Amazon Prime), full 4GB...

And most of my gaming is going to be at 900p.

The cheapest 970 is $100 more and is not eligible for the free copy of Phantom Pain. Plus, from everything I've read about the MSI blower, it runs 80c under load...could get a little hotter...

I've flip flopped for weeks...but the 960 is looking like the winner.

Dammit...this is killing me. I want the 970.

SRG01

3 Days guys.

Free copy of Metal Gear, price is down to $229 on Amazon, free shipping (Amazon Prime), full 4GB...

The cheapest 970 is $100 more and is not eligible for the free copy of Phantom Pain. Plus, from everything I've read about the MSI blower, it runs 80c under load...could get a little hotter...

I have the 960 4GB from EVGA. I ran TPP just fine, though windowed for personal preferences. Never went above 70C either, but my case is well ventilated.

Performance wise, you should get the 970 if you can justify the price difference. Or just go all out and get a 980 ;)

3 Days guys.

I have the 960 4GB from EVGA. I ran TPP just fine, though windowed for personal preferences. Never went above 70C either, but my case is well ventilated.

Performance wise, you should get the 970 if you can justify the price difference. Or just go all out and get a 980 ;)

The 960 and 980 are not the best in term of price/perf ratio.

Get a 970 (not the reference cooler version though) or a 980ti instead. If fund allows of course.

Why do you say that? If I go with the 960 or the 970, I'm never going to overclock, and this is my system. I'd get the reference design to keep the rest of my system cool.

Well, if you are not going to overclock then it is fine. The heat with custom cooler is not much of a problem provided that your case has a good airflow, which it does seem to according to the pictures.

But yeah, in your case and preference, a ref card is not a bad choice.

Seems i am getting 2 boxes on wednesday! And I can finally start building my pc after I come back from work and get the boxes in my room ...

I'm very excited!!!!

Does anyone have experience with building a gaming Silverstone FT03 Mini?

I am worried about the temperatures.

Sure Ill get a blower GPU but that still leaves some doubt in me before buying.

GPU I am thinking about is the 980Ti

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why do you say that? If I go with the 960 or the 970, I'm never going to overclock, and this is my system. I'd get the reference design to keep the rest of my system cool.

Does the GPU fit on the left of the case where that long grille is? If so then you should have ok airflow in for the GPU, and although some heat will vent into the case, it isn't too bad especially if you have a good CPU cooler - and it'll be much quieter under load (and silent when not gaming as an MSI 4G 970 will shut the fans off)

A lot more money though - if a 960 is $100 less than a reference it's probably $150 less than a 4G, plus MGS it's almost double the effective cost.

Think positive - if you save money now with the 960, you'll have a great performance bump in a couple of years when you upgrade :)

LilJoka

Because reference cooler is a lot louder and due to low TDP of maxwell the non reference is the way to go in the Node 304. Do not buy reference.

I have the MSI gamer in my Node, and it's overclocked to the moon along with my CPU, it doesn't cause any issues to the rest of the system.

Sorry, how much did you negative offset by?

It's trial and error, try negative offset of 0.05v. Use Aida to test stability each time.

Arkanius

Guys, I just bought a miniDisplayport cable for my 280X, 1.2 this time around, and I still can't go over 120hz (144hz is not available)

What could be wrong right now?

EDIT:

Will installing display drivers solve anything? My display is recognized as Generic PnP monitor (Acer Predator XB270HU)

Maniac

Banned
Don't worry about that, you are moving out of the budget zone into the "dependable and awesome" tier of power supplies. That realhardtechx site is also handy if you want to see more reviews from other sources, they list reviews for Seasonic and Super Flower as well. In non-NA countries I think XFX can be found for good prices, and they do offer higher end models with better efficiency and semi or full modularity, you may want to look at that. And depending on the model some power supplies from Antec, Be Quiet!, Cooler Master, Corsair, Fractal, Rosewill, and Silverstone are quite good as well. I have no idea what kind of availability or company support exists in your country from these brands, though.

Having done some more research and having done some math, I think I'll try and get a 800w~ PSU to allow for possible SLI use in the future. Now I just have to figure out which one. I'm gettin' there though!

Chipset heatsink. The GPU shouldn't touch that since it's just as tall as the PCIE slot. Might be very close but that's fine.

When I try to take out my GPU (MSI 970) it feels like I'm pulling it out of the heatsink as well. My old card (660 Ti) had the same issue but it didn't feel as hard to do. Maybe I just got used to doing it over the years. Should I do something to keep it out?

Godan

This morning i went to play a game but a game i was getting 60+ fps in i seem to be getting like 25 to 30. I have tried other games and its the same with them.

So i ran Unigine Heaven benchmark i am am sitting at like 30 to 40 on this when i would get very high fps when running it.

Now i check precision X to see what the speed of my card was at and this is what it was at.

http://i.gyazo.com/aeb5544b5afc3dc486c57ab7508ccfc8.png

Now normally when i play games or run that benchmark i would get 1150+ mhz but for some reason it isn't doing anything. Its like its not use this card at all for some reason.

Anyone know what might be the issue here?

jorkila

When I try to take out my GPU (MSI 970) it feels like I'm pulling it out of the heatsink as well. My old card (660 Ti) had the same issue but it didn't feel as hard to do. Maybe I just got used to doing it over the years. Should I do something to keep it out?

Obvious question but you are releasing the clip that holds the card in aren't you?

jorkila

Does anyone have experience with building a gaming Silverstone FT03 Mini?

I am worried about the temperatures.

Sure Ill get a blower GPU but that still leaves some doubt in me before buying.

GPU I am thinking about is the 980Ti

I have the FT03 mini and I have to have the front cover off even with the fan ramped up, I've used a gtx 760 and 970.
Currently waiting for my new evga gtx 970 ftw+ to arrive then hope I can get it in!! Silverstone say 10" and evga say 10.1"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom