• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys need a quick reply on this for a buddy. What's the best Nvidia card for around £300-£350 the r9 seems to slot in that bracket but he doesn't want AMD

Xisiqomelir

Comp-GAF, what are your recs for 1600p monitors? I was thinking ~30" in size. Totally willing to go Korean, would be VERY keen on tate-ing it for emulating shmups.

I have a question. Usually when I go to sleep I shut down the PC and turn off the PSU and remove the cable from the wall. Recently I noticed that when I inserted the cable in the wall, the motherboard was powered. I experimented and discovered that the PSU button must be broken, because I can turn on the pc when the button is on OFF.
Now the question is, do I risk something inserting the cable in the wall with the PSU turned on? Like fry something?

LilJoka

When I try to take out my GPU (MSI 970) it feels like I'm pulling it out of the heatsink as well. My old card (660 Ti) had the same issue but it didn't feel as hard to do. Maybe I just got used to doing it over the years. Should I do something to keep it out?

Take a photo for us

Edit seen the clip comment. Hopefully that's it.

I have a question. Usually when I go to sleep I shut down the PC and turn off the PSU and remove the cable from the wall. Recently I noticed that when I inserted the cable in the wall, the motherboard was powered. I experimented and discovered that the PSU button must be broken, because I can turn on the pc when the button is on OFF.
Now the question is, do I risk something inserting the cable in the wall with the PSU turned on? Like fry something?

Nope.

Guys.

I have to build 2 "browsing" computers for my old folks. Newegg has a deal that I have modified:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($86.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-HD2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: PNY CS1211 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Logisys CS369BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/480W Power Supply ($38.49 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($11.45 @ OutletPC)
Total: $354.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-28 08:55 EDT-0400

Is there anything horrible wrong with this? I would like this build to last them at least 5 years. They only do very basic browsing, and their systems are running on fumes right now. Maybe add a reliable PSU? I don't think they will be taxing the PSU anytime soon. I could even add some stock watercooling for extra maintenance freedom

Guys.

I have to build 2 "browsing" computers for my old folks. Newegg has a deal that I have modified:

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($86.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-HD2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: PNY CS1211 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Logisys CS369BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/480W Power Supply ($38.49 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($11.45 @ OutletPC)
Total: $354.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-28 08:55 EDT-0400

Is there anything horrible wrong with this? I would like this build to last them at least 5 years. They only do very basic browsing, and their systems are running on fumes right now. Maybe add a reliable PSU? I don't think they will be taxing the PSU anytime soon. I could even add some stock watercooling for extra maintenance freedom

Have you thought about something along these lines:
intel-hdmi-compute-stick_large.jpg

Pachimari

If I want some more internal USB ports in my desktop, is this what I should go with? Or do you have any better suggestion?
It's a brand named DeLOCK, and I don't know them.

Have you thought about something along these lines:
intel-hdmi-compute-stick_large.jpg

Nice idea but I see a couple of issues with the stick:

1. Upgrade-ability. I was able to keep their last setup running for a decade due to being able to upgrade RAM and CPUs at different points. While the Intel Stick is interesting, is an Intel ATOM going to cut it 3-4 years down the road?
2. Reliability. If something breaks in their PC, I can just buy a new one and pop it in there without loss of data.
3. Ease of use. My parents are old folks. They need their optical disks for listening to their music cds, a place to stick their usb memories, their headphones and so on and so forth.
4. Specs. 32GB of storage is not enough.

Thanks for the suggestion though :D

LilJoka

because when I put the cable sometimes I hear a "bzz" or the electricity shut off. But that last thing happens with other things too, I think it's my "electricity-safe" thing.

Also normal. There are capacitors right at the start of the PSU which deal with all this. The buzzing is just built up charge dissipating, since the PSU has very large capacitors, these can discharge some energy when you plug in the cable or flip the switch, doing either of these is the same thing.

Guys silly question but the new skylake motherboards will fit in any atx case right!? I've ordered the Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case and just wanted to make sure 😅

Also normal. There are capacitors right at the start of the PSU which deal with all this. The buzzing is just built up charge dissipating, since the PSU has very large capacitors, these can discharge some energy when you plug in the cable or flip the switch, doing either of these is the same thing.

I see, thank you very much, is it also normal that the GPU is powered for a split second when this happens?

Friend asked for some help/recommendations on a new build. He wanted to go "high-end" said he's looking to spend anywhere from $1000-$1500.

This is what I've put together so far, any recommendations/changes I should make?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97A GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Reactor 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($491.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($86.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.75 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1544.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-28 11:30 EDT-0400

ricki42

Friend asked for some help/recommendations on a new build. He wanted to go "high-end" said he's looking to spend anywhere from $1000-$1500.

This is what I've put together so far, any recommendations/changes I should make?

PCPartPicker part list

If he's not in a rush, wait a bit for Intel's new Skylake CPUs.
Also, I'd recommend trying to fit a 980ti in the budget, better bang-for-buck than 980. You can easily save on the motherboard, for example you can currently get the Asus Z97-E for $92. If you're near a MicroCenter, they have deals on CPU+motherboard combos. He could also get a i5-4690k instead of the 4790k, not many games take advantage of the extra threads.
Check if he really needs a CD/DVD drive.

Slurmp

Banned
Is there a good, cheap, M+Kb to buy off Amazon for like.. 20-40 bucks?

I don't need a "gaming" mouse or keyboard, just something that works well and looks nice.

SLX

Banned

I don't need a "gaming" mouse or keyboard, just something that works well and looks nice.
Just get a 12 dollar combo at best buy, Insignia brand. I have one when I work from home, its fine.

RGM79

Dunno what you prefer by "looks nice", but there's always the Cooler Master Storm Devastator keyboard and mouse combo for under $30. Functionally it's more than adequate and even has backlit keys.

Otherwise, $10 gets you a Microsoft or Logitech basic keyboard and mouse set. It's $20 at Amazon for the Microsoft set, but if you live nearby a Best Buy or something, I imagine you could price match the lowest offer.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/theendcat/saved/#view=WLYYcf

So I had a friend look at the stuff I posted in the last page and tried to make a build based on his stuff and the opening post. I'm kind of worried about the GPU though, it appears to be £15 cheaper than the other 960s for no apparent reason? Any recommendations or stuff I've chosen that is incompatible?

isn't that Gigabyte's ITX-specific 960? that probably explains the price difference by itself unless there's something else different about those

otherwise don't see much wrong, aside from maybe getting a Z97 motherboard if you're getting a 4690K & maybe switching out the PSU for an XFX XTR of the same wattage (cos I don't trust EVGA pre-G2)

Sheesh ... I'm a little too nervous right now ... My Monitor got separated from the rest of my final parts. It just started moving to transit starting from NJ-->TN.. Hopefully it flies out to HI soon

I'm excited and very scared at the same time as it is also a damn monitor and one with issues to boot (Acer XB270hu)

Hopefully not a single Issue when it arrives

Nice idea but I see a couple of issues with the stick:

1. Upgrade-ability. I was able to keep their last setup running for a decade due to being able to upgrade RAM and CPUs at different points. While the Intel Stick is interesting, is an Intel ATOM going to cut it 3-4 years down the road?
2. Reliability. If something breaks in their PC, I can just buy a new one and pop it in there without loss of data.
3. Ease of use. My parents are old folks. They need their optical disks for listening to their music cds, a place to stick their usb memories, their headphones and so on and so forth.
4. Specs. 32GB of storage is not enough.

Thanks for the suggestion though :D

Honestly, I would just start looking into prebuilts or even laptops at that range. I have a laptop from 2007 that I still use today for basic browsing and word processing. If you're bent on keeping that build though, you could probably drop the SSD and get an even lower powered PSU. That build shouldn't need anywhere close to 480w

power-web-avg.png

Edit : my bad, I glanced over the built in psu part. Overall it looks fine, I'd say just drop the SSD

Sheesh ... I'm a little too nervous right now ... My Monitor got separated from the rest of my final parts. It just started moving to transit starting from NJ-->TN.. Hopefully it flies out to HI soon

I'm excited and very scared at the same time as it is also a damn monitor and one with issues to boot (Acer XB270hu)

Hopefully not a single Issue when it arrives
Let us now whenever you get it. I'm waiting for the Asus pg279q but if takes too long to be released I will buy the Acer

Onikaan

What do you guiys think about the Gaming PCs available on Amazon?

I always find them to be really good offers and when I scan through the components I can't see anything that puts me off.

Missing something?

I've found someone that explains better than me my situation
Seems to do a similar sort of thing to the old one, but barely audible. I've seen this sort of behaviour with light switches where there's poor contact. The noise is at the point where the kettle cable makes contact with the pins (only happens if the plug socket is on and the PSU is on). Strictly speaking I am plugging it in the wrong way when I do that, because the PSU should be off and the wall socket should be off then I connect and then power on. Really don't want to have to be doing the same thing in a week's time :/
Exactly the same thing. I used to to the same thing (switch off -> plug in -> switch on), but as I said I just discovered that the switch apparently is broken.

Pachimari

Anyone knows which kind of internal USB 3.0 ports I should go with for my desktop? Or does the brand not matter in this case, and I can go ahead with DeLOCK?

RGM79

What do you guiys think about the Gaming PCs available on Amazon?

I always find them to be really good offers and when I scan through the components I can't see anything that puts me off.

Missing something?

Post an example or two and we'll analyze it for you.

Denali

All of my parts have arrived. Question about installing Windows 8.1 from a USB drive:

I have the ISO available. Problem is, I only have my Macbook available to me (easily available, anyways). How can I properly make a bootable USB drive with this? Will the Bootcamp Assistant work, or will that include a bunch of separate drivers and things that I won't want installed on my new machine? Anyone have experience with this?

Crisium

I'm looking to upgrade my PC.

I'm currently looking at getting an i7. (Intel Core BX80646I74790K i7-4790K Processor)
and
an intel mobo. (MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97-G45 GAMING)

I'm also thinking about getting anew gpu, I currently have Sapphire HD 6850 PCIE Video Card.

Everything else I don't think I want to upgrade. I have 8gb RAM. So any suggestions? Do I need a new GPU? Would there be anything else I would need to upgrade?

Do you intend to game on this new build? Then you will want a new GPU, especially if that's a 1GB 6850 (and even if it's the rare 2GB it's still an old architecture). Tell us your PSU and a budget and we can give recommendations.

Honestly, I would just start looking into prebuilts or even laptops at that range. I have a laptop from 2007 that I still use today for basic browsing and word processing. If you're bent on keeping that build though, you could probably drop the SSD and get an even lower powered PSU. That build shouldn't need anywhere close to 480w

power-web-avg.png

Edit : my bad, I glanced over the built in psu part. Overall it looks fine, I'd say just drop the SSD

It's already a combo from Newegg. I could just take the Combo, buy cheaper PSUs, sell the PSUs and SSDs and call it a day

LilJoka

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/theendcat/saved/#view=WLYYcf

So I had a friend look at the stuff I posted in the last page and tried to make a build based on his stuff and the opening post. I'm kind of worried about the GPU though, it appears to be £15 cheaper than the other 960s for no apparent reason? Any recommendations or stuff I've chosen that is incompatible?

You have RAM there that is a rip off, 2x4GB Kingston Fury X 1866 CL10 is around £40.

Do you really need a DVD drive?

With the saved money buy a proper GTX 960 like the EVGA version. There is a £20 cashback promotion on them too! Comes to about £145.

Do you intend to game on this new build? Then you will want a new GPU, especially if that's a 1GB 6850 (and even if it's the rare 2GB it's still an old architecture). Tell us your PSU and a budget and we can give recommendations.

I plan on gaming, but nothing super high end. I do however plan on using Unreal engine.

My psu is Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus - 500W Power Supply

Budget: looking to spend around $250 on a gpu OR around $750 total. I can go over if needed. I was looking at this gpu EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW

Crisium

I plan on gaming, but nothing super high end. I do however plan on using Unreal engine.

My psu is Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus - 500W Power Supply

Budget: looking to spend around $250 on a gpu OR around $750 total. I can go over if needed. I was looking at this gpu EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW

A GTX 960 4GB is the way to go given that PSU (1x 6pin) and budget for sure.

I don't know about the particular 960 though. It has an 8pin connector. That looks like a no-go with your PSU if its accurate. Most 960's are 1x 6pin, find another one.

A GTX 960 4GB is the way to go given that PSU (1x 6pin) and budget for sure.

I don't know about the particular 960 though. It has an 8pin connector. That looks like a no-go with your PSU if its accurate. Most 960's are 1x 6pin, find another one.

According to the Amazon questions, it has some sort of adapter so you can use a 6 pin.

Thanks for your input so far, btw.

It appears to be a 2x 6pin to 8pin adapter. Newegg says your PSU has 1x 6pin.

Yeah, I don't know about these things. I'm just going by what the Amazon questions are saying. I would buy a new psu if needed.

I have a 500w psu but it only has 1 x pci-e 6 pin connector. will i need a new psu or special adapter? it has extra peripheral (4-pin) connectors.

A: The card comes with a splitter that allows you to combine two six pin connectors to make an eight pin connection. Or, you can connect two additional four pin connectors to the card. I also believe that a Molex adapter is also included.

Crisium

Yeah, I don't know about these things. I'm just going by what the Amazon questions are saying. I would buy a new psu if needed.

Ok, I'm not gonna try be too patronizing.

1) Buy this 960 and YOLO
2) Buy this 960 and PSU, increasing the budget
3) Buy almost any other 960 and guarantee it works ex. ASUS 4GB

It's your money man, but unless you have an EVGA fixation I wouldn't do it.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
You have RAM there that is a rip off, 2x4GB Kingston Fury X 1866 CL10 is around £40.

Do you really need a DVD drive?

With the saved money buy a proper GTX 960 like the EVGA version. There is a £20 cashback promotion on them too! Comes to about £145.

I assume the Fury X is the thing listed as HyperX Fury on that site? And yeah, I'd like a cheap dvd drive for a few older games I have. I'll get the ASRock Z97M anniversary instead like Huckster said, and the EVGA version of the card- AriaPC for the cashback?

LilJoka

no I see the led of the GPU that light up for a second

Also fine. Just getting standby power from the 24 pin ATX.

Iassume the Fury X is the thing listed as HyperX Fury on that site? And yeah, I'd like a cheap dvd drive for a few older games I have. I'll get the EVGA version of the card- AriaPC for the cashback?

Those are the ones, should be about £40.
You can check EVGAs promo site to see participating retailers.

watership

I have some questions on the Motherboard choices out there. I'm looking to do some eventual OC tinkering eventually, but probably will never do any SLI/Crossfire work. Do I still need a Z97 board for socket 1150? Any recommendations?

I keep going back to ASUS Z97-A as a basic lower end z97 board. Any other candidates I should consider? I'm getting an Define R5 for ATX is my form factor of choice here for now. My main consideration outside of gaming is stability. I'll be running this box as everything from my media server to my photo/video/graphic art workstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom