• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Hopeford

Well, you can flash the BIOS to the newest and see if that makes a difference but as Soka said there can be other considerations including PSU. It'd have to be a truly shitty power supply not to be able to run a 1060 but with some of those older pre-built things I wouldn't be surprised.

If you go into your BIOS, does it show any info about the video card? At least that there is one present?

I assume it's PCI-E 2.0 but that shouldn't present a problem.

And what's the ultimate issue? The computer doesn't boot? Or boots but nothing being displayed?

Boots to the "Hit delete to enter bios/f12 to select boot options" screen. Beeps and restarts like crazy, eventually reaches windows but only through integrated graphics.

Going into the BIOS, it does recongize the GPU. It's also recognized under the Device Manager, but it's not working properly.

Nevermind up there then but what are you returning? This thing sounds old.

The graphics card. Figure if I can't use it and it's still returnable I should do that.

That sucks... part of the issue with pre-builts from HP/Dell and the like. They are great for basic things but you start to look at minor modifications and it gets messy. If follow the suggestions in the first post and fill out what you are looking for detective/pc GAF can point you in the right direction within the costs and needs you specify.

Getting a basic gaming PC up and running that does not play current games at ultra settings is actually easily achievable within a limited budget as long as you are realistic about what you are trying to do.

I figured it shouldn't be too much of a problem to upgrade because the first time I upgraded everything went fine(replaced the old gpu with the 660ti and then replaced the power supply as well). But evidently I was wrong haha. Guess I can only upgrade a prebuilt so many times?

Honestly, I just wanted a 1060 to be able to play games at a decentish framerate. Didn't want anything crazy. Canadian prices being what they are though...eh. Probably not worth it at this point to be honest.

Think I'll give up on this whole upgrading PC thing once I return the GPU, looks like it would be way more expensive to get this PC up and running then I anticipated. Like I'd be up for replacing the motherboard even, but if I have to replace the CPU and RAM at the same time I think I'm gonna tap out.

(Listed specs before, but for the new page...

Windows 10
Old GPU: 660ti
New GPU that is the issue: 1060
Processor: i5-3450 @ 3.1
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. P03-3, 4/18/2012
16GB Ram
PSU is CORSAIR HX series HX650 650W.
Motherboard Gateway DX4860 (Socket 0)

)

I wouldn't mind building a new PC at some point, but if the only salvagable thing from that would be the hard drive I think it's not the time for me. No chance on reusing CPU and ram huh?

Bloodember

Boots to the "Hit delete to enter bios/f12 to select boot options" screen. Beeps and restarts like crazy, eventually reaches windows but only through integrated graphics.

Going into the BIOS, it does recongize the GPU. It's also recognized under the Device Manager, but it's not working properly.

The graphics card. Figure if I can't use it and it's still returnable I should do that.

I figured it shouldn't be too much of a problem to upgrade because the first time I upgraded everything went fine(replaced the old gpu with the 660ti and then replaced the power supply as well). But evidently I was wrong haha. Guess I can only upgrade a prebuilt so many times?

Honestly, I just wanted a 1060 to be able to play games at a decentish framerate. Didn't want anything crazy. Canadian prices being what they are though...eh. Probably not worth it at this point to be honest.

Think I'll give up on this whole upgrading PC thing once I return the GPU, looks like it would be way more expensive to get this PC up and running then I anticipated. Like I'd be up for replacing the motherboard even, but if I have to replace the CPU and RAM at the same time I think I'm gonna tap out.

Windows 10
16GB Ram

)

I wouldn't mind building a new PC at some point, but if the only salvagable thing from that would be the hard drive I think it's not the time for me. No chance on reusing CPU and ram huh?
Just to clarify, you are plugging the GPU into the psu also?

Bloodember

Yeah, I am. It works fine when I plug in older GPUs but not the 1060. Figure it's the motherboard because even a fresh install didn't solve the GPU issues, so probably not drivers.
How old the psu, it might work for the older one because it's not using as much wattage as the new one when at idle. Have you tried a different psu?

Hopeford

How old the psu, it might work for the older one because it's not using as much wattage as the new one when at idle. Have you tried a different psu?

I tried a separate psu, same result. Both psus I tried are fairly old, I suppose. Couple years on both, I think. Is there a way to test my psus? Guess I can take it to a friend's house and try it with his before returning the GPU.

I went vertical with my motherboard on that case. Love the case overall. I forget why I went vertical, but I think I decided that it'd allow hot air to escape out of the top easier.
I was considering it, but I like having it horizontal to show off the GPU through the side window.
Airflow-wise. I'm considering ripping out the 200mm stock fan and putting 2 120mm RGB fans in the front instead.

Do really like the case though, don't think i'll ever go back to a standard tower case.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
What's the best Wifi card? Internal or USB works for me. My current one is a lot slower on W10 since it's not officially compatible.

Windows 10
16GB Ram

)

I would try updating it to newest BIOS.

Also see what you can find about the PCI-E slot/s on that board and what it does and doesn't support.

Unless it's strictly compatibility/support-related, I feel like this is a fixable issue.

Hopeford

I would try updating it to newest BIOS.

Also see what you can find about the PCI-E slot/s on that board and what it does and doesn't support.

Unless it's strictly compatibility/support-related, I feel like this is a fixable issue.

I tried updating to the newest BIOS...as it turns out, it's an old motherboard with no UEFI support(or anything windows 10 related, really. Support stopped at windows 8). So I feel like the issue is just that the motherboard is too old.

I was planning on just getting a new one, but people here mentioned that I wouldn't be able to reuse the CPU or the RAM, which I wasn't expecting so I figured it would be easier to just stick with my old GPU and return the new one. I'll keep trying to troubleshoot for a day or two before tapping out but yeah.

I tried updating to the newest BIOS...as it turns out, it's an old motherboard with no UEFI support(or anything windows 10 related, really. Support stopped at windows 8). So I feel like the issue is just that the motherboard is too old.

I was planning on just getting a new one, but people here mentioned that I wouldn't be able to reuse the CPU or the RAM, which I wasn't expecting so I figured it would be easier to just stick with my old GPU and return the new one. I'll keep trying to troubleshoot for a day or two before tapping out but yeah.

Well, meaning if you got a new board. Of course you could reuse the CPU and RAM; you just need to purchase a board that supports them, likely "re-certified" or used. Then it's a matter of what's out there and how much you're willing to pay for it.

I was considering it, but I like having it horizontal to show off the GPU through the side window.
Airflow-wise. I'm considering ripping out the 200mm stock fan and putting 2 120mm RGB fans in the front instead.

Do really like the case though, don't think i'll ever go back to a standard tower case.

I put a 230mm exhaust in the top of mine using zip ties. Super goofy but works great in combination with the 200mm front intake.

SRG01

I'd go with the IPS over the VA panel. But that's just a personal preference because I like pretty colours.

Cool, thanks! I'm not seeing any affordable 24" panels out there, so I guess I'll have to go with these ones...

RbgYhzI.gif

LOL :D

I just caved, ordered a EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 for £550. I was eying up a 1070 instead, but the difference was less than £100. Plus, this PC I built went from budget upgrade to vanity project real fucking fast.
First time buying a high end card and I cannot wait to get it in my build on Thursday.

Brackets don't have spacing for a 200 or 230 mm. No way that I could figure out how to manage it with the brackets.

Fair enough. I thought you could take out the inner two, bring the outer two closer and mount to them.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So i have a PC with a 7600k and i need a videocard because right now i'm using the Intel HD 630. I want a GTX 1060 6gb but it's pretty expensive right now in Chile, so i'm wondering if i can get away with getting a GTX 1050 TI for awhile, i honestly just want to play overwatch and battlegrounds and i read that card can play those games decently in 1080P. Would you guys recommend to bite the bullet and just get the 1060 6gb? To put things in perspective the 1050 ti is going for 140000 -150000 CLP the the gtx 1060 6gb double fan is selling for 250000 -260000 CLP.

bomblord1

Banned
So i have a PC with a 7600k and i need a videocard because right now i'm using the Intel HD 630. I want a GTX 1060 6gb but it's pretty expensive right now in Chile, so i'm wondering if i can get away with getting a GTX 1050 TI for awhile, i honestly just want to play overwatch and battlegrounds and i read that card can play those games decently in 1080P. Would you guys recommend to bite the bullet and just get the 1060 6gb? To put things in perspective the 1050 ti is going for 140000 -150000 CLP the the gtx 1060 6gb double fan is selling for 250000 -260000 CLP.

Is this RX 4/580 not an option? Seems like it would be the better compromise for you.

If you're a person who doesn't plan on upgrading cards often, and it doesn't sound like you do, getting the best card within in your budget now is the best option.

Thus, a 1060 6GB or 580. Latter is a better value and performance is similar, plus both will be better future-proofed than a 1050Ti.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
If you're a person who doesn't plan on upgrading cards often, and it doesn't sound like you do, getting the best card within in your budget now is the best option.

Thus, a 1060 6GB or 580. Latter is a better value and performance is similar, plus both will be better future-proofed than a 1050Ti.

No i don't think i'm gonna upgrade that often, you are probably right i should go for the 1060 6Gb. too bad the 580 is the same price than the 1060.

Is this RX 4/580 not an option? Seems like it would be the better compromise for you.

Over here the 480 is out of stock and the 580 is at the same price that the gtx 1060 so no i don't think so.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I just caved, ordered a EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 for £550. I was eying up a 1070 instead, but the difference was less than £100. Plus, this PC I built went from budget upgrade to vanity project real fucking fast.
First time buying a high end card and I cannot wait to get it in my build on Thursday.

Nice, I just built my first high-end system after a lifetime of playing on mid-tier systems, and it's pretty sweet. I probably overshot my anticipated budget by like 500 CAD, but that was mostly due to going for a 1080ti and an m.2 drive.

Ya know, I played the Overwatch beta with a GTX 770 and it ran pretty well. Any 10 series card should be fine. Can't speak to PUBG, never tried it.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
GB finally gave me an RMA number. Had to google for their shipping instructions cause of course they're not included with the email o_O

I know I need to pay shipping TO Gigabyte (which is pretty sad tbh), but do I need to pay for RETURN shipping? (that'd be maximum sad)

Should I bother paying for postal insurance? I've read the horror stories of gigabyte damaging the PCB and refusing to repair the board, blaming the user/postal company.

Bloodember

GB finally gave me an RMA number. Had to google for their shipping instructions cause of course they're not included with the email o_O

I know I need to pay shipping TO Gigabyte (which is pretty sad tbh), but do I need to pay for RETURN shipping? (that'd be maximum sad)

Should I bother paying for postal insurance? I've read the horror stories of gigabyte damaging the PCB and refusing to repair the board, blaming the user/postal company.
You only have to pay shipping to them, and I always get the insurance. I also make them sign for it.

Hi Guys

I am planning on getting a new Dekstop for gaming at the end of the year. Been using a gaming laptop and then alienware alpha for past 4 -5 years so I am a bit out of the loop with regards to upcomming tech. I am think if getting a machine with roughly the following

• i5 (quad 3-3.5ghz range)
• 8 gig ram
• 6gig 1060 (or maybe 1070)
• Then other typcal bits like an SSD and larger HDD etc etc

I will then prob ride the rest of this console gen out on that with a plan to upgrade once new get arrives.

Is there any info about new socket CPU's coming so when I do upgrade in 3 years or so I would have to get a new MB or is the current i series here to stay for a while yet? Is 8 gig of ram still plenty? I am pretty confident in the graphics card easily carrying me through the rest of the gen but any info on that would also help.

So any tips out side of that are always welcome. Will be using a 1080p 60hz monitor as well. Might upgrade that down the line to a gsync one but will see.

ISee

Hi Guys

I am planning on getting a new Dekstop for gaming at the end of the year. Been using a gaming laptop and then alienware alpha for past 4 -5 years so I am a bit out of the loop with regards to upcomming tech. I am think if getting a machine with roughly the following

• 8 gig ram

I will then prob ride the rest of this console gen out on that with a plan to upgrade once new get arrives.

Is there any info about new socket CPU's coming so when I do upgrade in 3 years or so I would have to get a new MB or is the current i series here to stay for a while yet? Is 8 gig of ram still plenty? I am pretty confident in the graphics card easily carrying me through the rest of the gen but any info on that would also help.

So any tips out side of that are always welcome. Will be using a 1080p 60hz monitor as well. Might upgrade that down the line to a gsync one but will see.

Ryzen 5 1600/x is pretty much the best performance/money CPU if you want to buy new right now. The ryzen platform has everything you want, DDR4, USB 3.1, m2 slots, plenty of pci lanes etc.
But we will get Intels coffee lake CPUs later this year (late fall?). The i5 variant is supposed to be a 6 core CPU with the ability to boost to 4.5 GHz (k variant), which isn't bad at all and I expect it to be the new go to CPU in the 250€ bracket. It'll be a socket 1151 CPU (just like sky- and kabylake), but you'll need a new z370/90 MB for it.

8 GB of Ram are still enough, but games started to utilize 16 GB about 2 years ago. I'd recommend getting 16 GB when buying/building a new PC.

If it is in your budget get the 1070 over the 1060, even for 1080p/60. Extra GPU power is always helpful. AMD Vega 56 has the potential to be faster than a 1070, but it will probably sell out rather fast because of the mining craze.

SSDs are great and will significantly shorten loading times in games, definitely get at least one.

Ryzen 5 1600/x is pretty much the best performance/money CPU if you want to buy new right now. The ryzen platform has everything you want, DDR4, USB 3.1, m2 slots, plenty of pci lanes etc.
But we will get Intels coffee lake CPUs later this year (late fall?). The i5 variant is supposed to be a 6 core CPU with the ability to boost to 4.5 GHz (k variant), which isn't bad at all and I expect it to be the new go to CPU in the 250€ bracket. It'll be a socket 1151 CPU (just like sky- and kabylake), but you'll need a new z370/90 MB for it.

8 GB of Ram are still enough, but games started to utilize 16 GB about 2 years ago. I'd recommend getting 16 GB when buying/building a new PC.

If it is in your budget get the 1070 over the 1060, even for 1080p/60. Extra GPU power is always helpful. AMD Vega 56 has the potential to be faster than a 1070, but it will probably sell out rather fast because of the mining craze.

SSDs are great and will significantly shorten loading times in games, definitely get at least one.

THanks for the response. So the next series of intels will need new MB's? Things like RAM I will almost defintaly start at 8gig because they are so easy to upgrade if i need it.

My laptop has 16gig and 2 SSD's, So i know the advantage of its loading speeds. What I will do though is have one SSD for OS and bigger games (i dont tend to keep more than 1 or 2 installed at a time) and then a larger normal HDD for files and smaller games that load fast anyway.

The CPU stuff is what most concerns me I think because of having to upgrade the MB with certain new ones. I may just have to wait till the new chips are out and start with those. That is unless its likely that the current i5's will last the next generation as well. We all know how consoles like to skimp on the CPU's.

ISee

THanks for the response. So the next series of intels will need new MB's? Things like RAM I will almost defintaly start at 8gig because they are so easy to upgrade if i need it.

My laptop has 16gig and 2 SSD's, So i know the advantage of its loading speeds. What I will do though is have one SSD for OS and bigger games (i dont tend to keep more than 1 or 2 installed at a time) and then a larger normal HDD for files and smaller games that load fast anyway.

The CPU stuff is what most concerns me I think because of having to upgrade the MB with certain new ones. I may just have to wait till the new chips are out and start with those. That is unless its likely that the current i5's will last the next generation as well. We all know how consoles like to skimp on the CPU's.

We can only speculate about future CPU performance. My guess: Even if xbox next and ps5 are going to get a CPU that is equivalent to a current i5 in power, developers will still just utilize it for 30 fps anyway. So in the end you'll need something more powerful than a current gen i5 to go for 'easy' 60 fps in 2-3 years.
The safest bets are the upcoming i7 6c/12t 8700k and the current R7 8c/16t 1700/x if you want to have something that will last through next generation, but there are no guarantees. If you don't want to buy a new MB for your next CPU go the ryzen route. Intels Canonlake (maybe early 2019) will 100% be incompatible with coffee lake mb (late 2018). While there is at least a chance for Ryzen 2 to be compatible with current Ryzen MBs.

Dibbs

I need some advice here guys. 2x8 3000 or 2x8 3200 RAM for Ryzen 5 1600? The mobo is a MSI Mortar Arctic.

Hi Guys

• 8 gig ram

Ryzen 5's are probably the better value but for you. AMD stated they're sticking with the AM4 socket for 4 years. The Ryzen 5 1600 is comparable to a i5 7600K, better in some games (Crysis 3), slightly behind it in other games (Far Cry Primal).

Edit: Some good comparison from DF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RMbYe4X2LI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_fAzBB_oAQ

Nice, I just built my first high-end system after a lifetime of playing on mid-tier systems, and it's pretty sweet. I probably overshot my anticipated budget by like 500 CAD, but that was mostly due to going for a 1080ti and an m.2 drive

I overshot my initial upgrade budget of £400 by about £1000 haha, but I did go from upgrading CPU/MoBo/RAM to brand new everything, plus a 144Hz monitor.
I'll get £100 back off the 1080 once I sell my 1050Ti, so that softens it a bit. Plus I've got some old parts to sell off from my old system still.

Plus, I'm thinking the 1080 will last a good five years if not more since I'll be playing at 1080p, the R5 1600 should be fine for a good 4 years and I'll likely upgrade it if neccesary to the latest AM4 socket CPU in the future.

Gonna post some pics up when it's all finished.

We can only speculate about future CPU performance. My guess: Even if xbox next and ps5 are going to get a CPU that is equivalent to a current i5 in power, developers will still just utilize it for 30 fps anyway. So in the end you'll need something more powerful than a current gen i5 to go for 'easy' 60 fps in 2-3 years.
The safest bets are the upcoming i7 6c/12t 8700k and the current R7 8c/16t 1700/x if you want to have something that will last through next generation, but there are no guarantees. If you don't want to buy a new MB for your next CPU go the ryzen route. Intels Canonlake (maybe early 2019) will 100% be incompatible with coffee lake mb (late 2018). While there is at least a chance for Ryzen 2 to be compatible with current Ryzen MBs.

Ryzen 5's are probably the better value but for you. AMD stated they're sticking with the AM4 socket for 4 years. The Ryzen 5 1600 is comparable to a i5 7600K, better in some games (Crysis 3), slightly behind it in other games (Far Cry Primal).

OK thanks guys.

I think I will just buy what ever I can once I have the money and If I need to upgrade my CPU and MB in 2-3 years then so be it I will just do that. I just mainly want a PC gaming tower again that I can upgrade. Havnt really done that since last Gen where I played a lot of Xbox as well as my PC.

Yeah makes no sense people getting a 7600K especially over a 1600 right now. The 7600K is now on a dead platform and when this lowly 4-core/4-thread CPU is chugging in 2+ years' time there will be no upgrade option to you other than a (by then) old and overpriced 7700K. Whereas with Ryzen and AM4 you can buy a 6-core 12-thread CPU that will A; last you longer because of its ample cores/threads and B; can be upgraded with the latest Ryzen+ or even Ryzen 2 CPUs that will drop into your AM4 mobo.

The 7600K (and 7700K) is quickly going to become obsolete as Intel introduces CoffeeLake and moves more cores/threads down the product stack for the same prices (i3 SKU rumoured to be 4-core 8-thread, which will blow the i5 7600K out the water in terms of price/perf). By the time these all arrive though we'll be close to Ryzen+ (R5 2600 etc) which of course can be dropped straight into your current mobo and not require a new expensive one like is Intel's horrible custom.

I need some advice here guys. 2x8 3000 or 2x8 3200 RAM for Ryzen 5 1600? The mobo is a MSI Mortar Arctic.

There is not much of a difference. If it's only like a $5 difference in price go for the 3200 (check if it's on the compatibility list and/or known to work with Ryzen).

asdad123

Looking to build a small HTPC/Gaming rig.

Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)

None for this PC. I do have an ATX 600Watt Bronze PSU I'd like to reuse if possible to save some cost.
Budget: Price Range + Country

$600, USA
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii/Wii U), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).

Used as a plex server for videos, video playback @ 4k, LIGHT gaming

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? (1080p, 1440p, 4K (2160p) Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?

4k on my E6 Oled

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA / GSYNC / FREESYNC to you?

Nothing specific. Would like to play recent games at 1080p high settings or 4k low settings

Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 750TX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)

Just an older 600W Bronze PSU ATX. PC Power&Cooling Silencer MKIII

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? How long can you wait?

No real rush
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

Would like it for the future

Thanks in advance! I would like to keep this as small/compact as possible.

Yeah makes no sense people getting a 7600K especially over a 1600 right now. The 7600K is now on a dead platform and when this lowly 4-core/4-thread CPU is chugging in 2+ years' time there will be no upgrade option to you other than a (by then) old and overpriced 7700K. Whereas with Ryzen and AM4 you can buy a 6-core 12-thread CPU that will A; last you longer because of its ample cores/threads and B; can be upgraded with the latest Ryzen+ or even Ryzen 2 CPUs that will drop into your AM4 mobo.

The 7600K (and 7700K) is quickly going to become obsolete as Intel introduces CoffeeLake and moves more cores/threads down the product stack for the same prices (i3 SKU rumoured to be 4-core 8-thread, which will blow the i5 7600K out the water in terms of price/perf). By the time these all arrive though we'll be close to Ryzen+ (R5 2600 etc) which of course can be dropped straight into your current mobo and not require a new expensive one like is Intel's horrible custom.

I have never used AMD CPU's. Am I righting in thinking that If I went with one in a new build I wouldn't need to bother with a MB upgrade down the line?

So if i built a system with
- AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six Core CPU (3.4GHz-3.6GHz/19MB CACHE/AM4
- ASUS® PRIME X370-PRO (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!

I would easily be able to upgrade the CPU and GPU next gen and be done?

Oh and how powerful a powersupply should I get. Is 550W enough these days?

I have never used AMD CPU's. Am I righting in thinking that If I went with one in a new build I wouldn't need to bother with a MB upgrade down the line?

So if i built a system with
- AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six Core CPU (3.4GHz-3.6GHz/19MB CACHE/AM4
- ASUS® PRIME X370-PRO (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!

I would easily be able to upgrade the CPU and GPU next gen and be done?

Oh and how powerful a powersupply should I get. Is 550W enough these days?

Yes you can do exactly that, buy a relatively cheap but powerful 1600 now and shpuld you feel the need to you have the option to drop an 8-core Ryzen+ 2700 in there next year, for example.

So not only is the performance per dollar better currently with Ryzen, it also makes sense in terms of longevity too.

I would opt for a 650W PSU personally but 550W is fine for most builds.

Yes you can do exactly that, buy a relatively cheap but powerful 1600 now and shpuld you feel the need to you have the option to drop an 8-core Ryzen+ 2700 in there next year, for example.

So not only is the performance per dollar better currently with Ryzen, it also makes sense in terms of longevity too.

I would opt for a 650W PSU personally but 550W is fine for most builds.

Excellent thanks.

bomblord1

Banned
I've had my curiosity peaked to Desk PC cases after seeing a couple videos about them. However I only know of 2 brands and both are $1500 (Vector and Lian Li). Although one does have a cheaper $500 "mini" version coming.

Is there any competition or choice in this market or are Vector and Lian Li the only options here?

Jezbollah

For 1080p 144hz play, is a 1080/ti overkill?

I have a G-Synz monitor and an OC'd i5-6600k

It is most certainly like hitting a wallnut with a sledge hammer. I think a standard 1080 would do well for you, maybe a 1070.

I have a 1080ti Strix with a i7-7700k and it's like grease lightning (1440p/144hz, Gsync)

Top Bottom