• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Zomba13

The answer will almost always be yes, the the 6GB 1060 is the better choice.

1.) Most games will work with just 3gb, but you will have to adjust (lower) texture settings for a stutter free experience (in many games). IMO it's worth getting the 6GB for better textures alone. They can make a huge difference.

2.)It's not just a difference in stock clock speed (btw both cards should be able to hit 1900 MHz, i'd even say 2000 MHz) The 3GB has only 1152 shader cores (vs 1280 on the 6GB variant).
The 3GB is a 4.37 tflops card at 1900 MHz and the 6GB a 4.86 tflops. Just a 7% difference, but worth pointing out.

Thanks. Went with the 6GB. I've been fine with stuff I play on my 780 (3GB) but did notice in newer stuff needing to balance some settings (in games that give you the handy memory cost bar thing). I was honestly still happy with my 780 so I'm ok going for a more mid-range card this go round (for now at least) especially seeing prices rise and stocks getting low. I do wish if my card was going to go it'd have gone a few months back though.

kiaaa

Ran into some issues with my new build. Mobo speaker is on the way so I don't have an error beep yet, but I'm running into the problem where everything seems to start fine, but I'm not getting any peripheral power or signal to display.

RMA'd my mobo because I thought that was the problem. Got the replacement today, put everything back together and the same thing happened. Tested ram in every different configuration and still nothing. I ordered some new sticks and I'm really hoping that's the solution, but getting 2 dead sticks doesn't seem super likely.

According to some research, there might be some bios issues and incompatibility, but aside from clearing CMOS, I've never really had to do much there, so I don't want to have to deal with that.

Just had to vent. Only had problems with a build one other time and that was because I fried a mobo being way too impatient

3x0

Neo Member
According to some research, there might be some bios issues and incompatibility, but aside from clearing CMOS, I've never really had to do much there, so I don't want to have to deal with that.

What components do you have?

kiaaa

What components do you have?

Asus B350F mobo
Ryzen R5 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8 ddr3000

Apparently some of the Ryzen mobos have some issues before bios updates, but I'll find out tomorrow if the ram is just dead. I mean, it's possible I got 2 DOA motherboards, but the ram seems more likely at this point.

3x0

Neo Member
I like how Asus didn't bother to put a Q-code display on that motherboard, but did bother with the aesthetics. It would help you in this case, since it would display an error code you can look up and see what's the problem.
Form over function I guess.

Really not happy with overclocking my R5 1600 thus far. Had the voltage down as low as 1.2v at 3.6Ghz, it runs stable through multiple cinebench tests and only hits around 75c.
CPU-Z on the other hand has it reaching 80c+ after just a minute or so.

I've got two case fans in a well ventilated case. A 120mm blowing hot air out at the back and a 200mm pulling cool air in at the front.

Will changing out the stock thermal paste be worthwhile?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Really not happy with overclocking my R5 1600 thus far. Had the voltage down as low as 1.2v at 3.6Ghz, it runs stable through multiple cinebench tests and only hits around 75c.

I've got two case fans in a well ventilated case. A 120mm blowing hot air out at the back and a 200mm pulling cool air in at the front.

thermal paste is not gonna change much. maybe a couple degrees cooler at best.

also different stress tests will push it harder. i used to always use Prime95 and never went over 74C (6700K) but if i use Intel Burn Test it will be 10C hotter! cinebench is more of a benchmark tool. it's not designed to fully stress your system that's why it won't run as hot.

XMP isn't garunteed to work.
4000mhz XMP is only going to work in 1% of cases.
You need to set these up manually, by tweaking VCCSA/IO. A lot of CPUs just won't run 4000mhz memory regardless of voltage.

So then how the hell are RAM manufacturers getting away with this?

If the RAM is advertised at 4000mhz XMP, the mobo is on the QVL of the RAM's website, and the RAM is on the QVL of the mobos website, it's ridiculous that it would only work in "1%" of cases. That's blatant false advertising.

Not sure why everyone seems to just accept that the 4000mhz RAM that they just spent $250 on doesn't work at advertised speeds.

thermal paste is not gonna change much. maybe a couple degrees cooler at best.

also different stress tests will push it harder. i used to always use Prime95 and never went over 74C (6700K) but if i use Intel Burn Test it will be 10C hotter! cinebench is more of a benchmark tool. it's not designed to fully stress your system that's why it won't run as hot.

I tried Prime95 a week or two ago and noped out of the test as it blazed past 80c.

Arex

Anyone have any thoughts between these two builds?

200~$ price difference between intel vs amd.

AMD (1700 stock cooler + OC to 1700X)
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Timan/saved/tMcZLk

Intel
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Timan/saved/r9ysYJ

Plan on using it for VR + 4k gaming of some sort. I'm sure the 1080 TI is an overkill but might as well go big now instead of worrying about it later.

Just torn between which route is better to go.

If you do streaming or content creation, I'd go Ryzen, but if you're not rushing, you can wait and see coffee lake I suppose? Supposedly debuting on 21st this month.

Also from what I've read, the EVGA G3 is better (and newer) than NEX.

For the GPU though, considering you're using it for VR, I'd probably go for the Aorus, it has 3 HDMI ports (2 back + 1 front) and 3 Display ports lol.

Anyone have any thoughts between these two builds?

200~$ price difference between intel vs amd.

AMD (1700 stock cooler + OC to 1700X)
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Timan/saved/tMcZLk

Intel
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Timan/saved/r9ysYJ

Plan on using it for VR + 4k gaming of some sort. I'm sure the 1080 TI is an overkill but might as well go big now instead of worrying about it later.

Just torn between which route is better to go.

If you are mainly gaming and are OK with having a more limited CPU upgrade path, go for Intel. If you want to do multi-tasking stuff (streaming, rendering, etc) and want a better upgrade path for your CPU, go for Ryzen. I'm not super familiar with VR benchmarks, but I believe the 1700 has the edge over the 7700K for that very slightly. Double-check benchmarks.

If you're undecided, my vote is to go for the one that's cheaper and has a better upgrade path (Ryzen).

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
What you reccomend doing about the temps? Just upgrade the stock cooler to something better like a Noctua?

yeah that's all you can really do apart from reapplying thermal paste or lowering the overclock to make sure it's not just the application of paste/settings. if you want lower temps then the most effective thing to do is get a better cooler.

noctua's are good..arguably the best but i don't like the look of them. i have a Cryorig R1 but I see the H7 mentioned a lot. might be worth checking out.

Timan

Developer
If you do streaming or content creation, I'd go Ryzen, but if you're not rushing, you can wait and see coffee lake I suppose? Supposedly debuting on 21st this month.

Also from what I've read, the EVGA G3 is better (and newer) than NEX.

For the GPU though, considering you're using it for VR, I'd probably go for the Aorus, it has 3 HDMI ports (2 back + 1 front) and 3 Display ports lol.

Its mostly gaming, trying to order it all today. I'm sure I can wait on the intel cpu's but they'll be priced more at premium day one anyway.

I've updated the the gpu on both lists. How are these in terms of noise? Problem right now with our current rig, we have an AMD r9 290X and that thing sounds so f'n load you can hear it downstairs.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Its mostly gaming, trying to order it all today. I'm sure I can wait on the intel cpu's but they'll be priced more at premium day one anyway.

I've updated the the gpu on both lists. How are these in terms of noise? Problem right now with our current rig, we have an AMD r9 290X and that thing sounds so f'n load you can hear it downstairs.

if you're mostly gaming then intel is better. i'd hold off and wait and see what coffeelake is like.

If noise is a concern, you might want to look into EVGA's 1080 Ti Hybrid. I ripped my 1080 Ti apart and attached a liquid cooler to it because of the noise and it's so much quieter and also runs cooler; the easier option would have been to buy the factory-built hybrid from EVGA, but I didn't realize just how loud the fans on the model I bought would get at 1440p gaming when I first purchased it. I'm not sure how quiet that hybrid gets, but I suspect it's noticeably quieter than the stock fans on the Aorus model.

Timan

Developer
If noise is a concern, you might want to look into EVGA's 1080 Ti Hybrid. I ripped my 1080 Ti apart and attached a liquid cooler to it because of the noise and it's so much quieter and also runs cooler; the easier option would have been to buy the factory-built hybrid from EVGA, but I didn't realize just how loud the fans on the model I bought would get at 1440p gaming when I first purchased it. I'm not sure how quiet that hybrid gets, but I suspect it's noticeably quieter than the stock fans on the Aorus model.

Good to know, will look into that GPU.

Anyone have thoughts on the motherboard for the AMD build? they're so much cheaper than the intel ones and I'm not sure why.

kevin1025

Banned

if you're mostly gaming then intel is better. i'd hold off and wait and see what coffeelake is like.

Yeah, the Coffee Lake announcement is on the 21st I believe, I would honestly wait and see what that will be. Sounds like it's their answer to six and eight cores for the same price as their current lineup, if rumours and leaks are to be believed!

I just got a new pc, I have the ASUS Maximus IX Hero motherboard. So yeah the thing has internal lights it's cute and all but when I turn the system off the lights are still messing about!! Lol is there a way to turn those off?

Branson

Yeah, the Coffee Lake announcement is on the 21st I believe, I would honestly wait and see what that will be. Sounds like it's their answer to six and eight cores for the same price as their current lineup, if rumours and leaks are to be believed!
And then waiting a couple of more months for it to release probably? The cycle never ends on waiting.

kevin1025

Banned
And then waiting a couple of more months for it to release probably? The cycle never ends on waiting.

Haha, very true. The press release worded it like it might also be a soft launch on the same day, though, so you never know.

But it probably won't keep me from going with the Ryzen 1600 in the fall like the plan currently is.

Timan

Developer

Right thats what I'm worried about, i'm looking at prob 2+months before I have a cpu.

Leaning towards Ryzen, with it just being newer, and someone will be supported in the future where the intel 7700k while king atm, is on a dying platform.

Branson

Haha, very true. The press release worded it like it might also be a soft launch on the same day, though, so you never know.

But it probably won't keep me from going with the Ryzen 1600 in the fall like the plan currently is.
I personally got tired of waiting for shit and just ordered my pc yesterday on a 7700k 1080ti build. I have been waiting for a while and just decided to bite since I don't have a pc at the moment. I'm sure it will last me a couple of years right?

Wozzer

Looking to replace my current hard drives for more storage, ideally around ~10gig of capacity and utilizing as few SATA ports as possible.

Any concerns with picking up a high capacity drive, like these 6TB Toshiba X300's? Had a few issues with hard drives failing in the past few years -_-.

Arex

Right thats what I'm worried about, i'm looking at prob 2+months before I have a cpu.

Leaning towards Ryzen, with it just being newer, and someone will be supported in the future where the intel 7700k while king atm, is on a dying platform.

I feel you, I waited almost 2 months for good AM4 ITX boards (from Gigabyte/Asrock) to come out for my build lol. I'm using Ryzen 1700 right now, and everything seems good so far.

Anyway, I think between the two 1080ti, Asus Strix might be quieter. Gigabyte's cards aren't really known for silence. Maybe you can look into MSI's Gaming X, but the red color might clash though.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Do we know when the 11 series will release?

Might actually hold off on a 1080 and keep my 970 until the 1170 is out

3x0

Neo Member

Which program are you using for monitoring the temps? I'd recommend HWiNFO.

£8 LED strip illuminating a £500 GPU.

DG4jKWJXYAAJVFX.jpg

Which program are you using for monitoring the temps? I'd recommend HWiNFO.

Ryzen master, I was under the impression that that's still the only/most accurate way to monitor them with Ryzen CPUs.

Do we know when the 11 series will release?

Might actually hold off on a 1080 and keep my 970 until the 1170 is out

"Early" 2018.

If you've waited this long with a 970, I'd wait until the 11 series.

I just got a new pc, I have the ASUS Maximus IX Hero motherboard. So yeah the thing has internal lights it's cute and all but when I turn the system off the lights are still messing about!! Lol is there a way to turn those off?

There's a setting in the BIOS but there's also a known bug where that doesn't help and you have to play with some other settings. If it doesn't work just do a search, plenty of posts on other forums about it with suggestions.

Frostman

if you have an old windows 7 or windows 8 key, just use it, it is still working for windows 10. I just finished a new build last week and I was able to use a windows 7 key from my broken laptop

I don't have access to an older key. I'll have to either fork out the extra for the retail version, or go OEM. I just don't know which one to go for.

I know I would have to buy another key after changing MB with OEM due to its licensing, so maybe in the long term it would be cheaper to go full retail.

kevin1025

Banned
I personally got tired of waiting for shit and just ordered my pc yesterday on a 7700k 1080ti build. I have been waiting for a while and just decided to bite since I don't have a pc at the moment. I'm sure it will last me a couple of years right?

Not sure what's on the horizon, but by how slowly it's been since 2011-2012 when I got my first PC, I think you'll be good for quite a few years!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man... Ryzen overclocking and getting RAM to work at its advertised speed seems a bit complicated/finicky. Been spending a couple of hours doing research and watching YouTube videos. I probably should have done this before buying my parts!

I think I'm going to have to return my current RAM and get some G.Skill stuff that has been explicitly tested for Ryzen.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still on a GTX780 and a 24" 60hz monitor.

Should I upgrade the GPU or to a 180hz G-sync monitor first?

Might be worth waiting a couple of days or weeks to see how the Radeon Vega cards affect the market (if at all), especially if you are planning to get a card that isn't a 1080/1080ti. My understanding is that a lot of the mid-range Nvidia cards are selling for a premium because A) they are better value than the current AMD Polaris cards for gaming and B) the AMD cards are being gobbled up by Bitcoin miners.

So, maybe the monitor first? You could at least play with settings and lower them enough so that you can get a feel for what it's like to have a G-Sync monitor and play at 100+ FPS.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Man... Ryzen overclocking and getting RAM to work at its advertised speed seems a bit complicated/finicky. Been spending a couple of hours doing research and watching YouTube videos. I probably should have done this before buying my parts!

I think I'm going to have to return my current RAM and get some G.Skill stuff that has been explicitly tested for Ryzen.

Yeah, I got a set of 3000s that I can only run at 2667 at the moment. It's hard finding affordable RAM on my mobo's QVL, or finding my mobo on many RAM QVLs. I'm just going by the AMD QVL and message boards and I they said my sticks should be alright, but... Ah well, 2667 is good for now. It's 16 gigs. Maybe in a few years my mobo will be patched up and more ram kits for Ryzen will be available and prices come down and I can just plunk in 32 gigs for a hundred bucks.

FireCloud

Looking to replace my current hard drives for more storage, ideally around ~10gig of capacity and utilizing as few SATA ports as possible.

Any concerns with picking up a high capacity drive, like these 6TB Toshiba X300's? Had a few issues with hard drives failing in the past few years -_-.

I've only had my X300 drive for a couple of weeks now and it seems fine. I use it as a secondary data drive keeping Windows 10 OS on a Samsung 850 Evo SSD.

One thing I've noticed is it is not very quiet. It's not as bad as some I've heard but I can definitely hear every disk write with my computer case sitting on my desk next to me. It was a good price per TB so I can live with it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You need the GPU to take advantage of the monitor...

Get a new GPU and a 144hz. 180 isn't necessary.

Well, neither is 144hz.

Someone could just as easily say go for 120hz or 100hz. Other crazy people will argue that 60hz is all you need!

All else being equal, higher possible refresh rates are always better.

Well, neither is 144hz.

Someone could just as easily say go for 120hz or 100hz. Other crazy people will argue that 60hz is all you need!

All else being equal, higher possible refresh rates are always better.

There's a cutoff point though. If you've already bought a 1080ti then your probably don't need to worry about spending the extra $$$ on a HRR monitor. But for most people, 100 would be enough, and if you can squeeze out 120 or 144 that's great. After 144 you might as well just jump to 240

On that subject, I wonder how high monitor manufacturers will go. Will we see above 300? 500? 1000?!!!

WOW that question was partially answered very fast

There's a cutoff point though. If you've already bought a 1080ti then your probably don't need to worry about spending the extra $$$ on a HRR monitor. But for most people, 100 would be enough, and if you can squeeze out 120 or 144 that's great. After 144 you might as well just jump to 240

On that subject, I wonder how high monitor manufacturers will go. Will we see above 300? 500? 1000?!!!

WOW that question was partially answered very fast

We'll get to 1kHz. It's just a matter of having the display standard with enough bandwidth and hardware to push it.

VR running at 1000fps with 1kHz would be a pants-shitting experience.

LilJoka

So then how the hell are RAM manufacturers getting away with this?

If the RAM is advertised at 4000mhz XMP, the mobo is on the QVL of the RAM's website, and the RAM is on the QVL of the mobos website, it's ridiculous that it would only work in "1%" of cases. That's blatant false advertising.

Not sure why everyone seems to just accept that the 4000mhz RAM that they just spent $250 on doesn't work at advertised speeds.

Because go and read your CPU spec, the memory controller is rated at 2400mhz.
The ram will work at 4000mhz as long as the CPU memory controller is good enough. That's the lowest common denominator, not the ram or the mobo.

QVL can just be ignored. I've never used it in years of building. RAM is the same, the memory chips are from just a few brands and the rest of marketing/binning.

Top Bottom