• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Ulairi said:
The Wii is still the best selling system world wide. Dragon Quest XI won't be announced for a while and I wouldn't be surprised if it's on another handheld.

At the time XI is released, the Wii will almost certainly no longer be selling. I'm gauging its chances of releasing on Café vs releasing on a current established system that is not entirely unlikely to be selling at that unknown future point of release.

GameplayWhore said:
At the time XI is released, the Wii will almost certainly no longer be selling. I'm gauging its chances of releasing on Café vs releasing on a current established system that is not entirely unlikely to be selling at that unknown future point of release.
DQXI will likely be a 2014-2015 game given recent DQ release timetables. At that point I don't see any current gen system really being viable any longer (except maybe PS3), though 3DS, NGP & Café should be well established.

Truth101

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
DQXI will likely be a 2014-2015 game given recent DQ release timetables. At that point I don't see any current gen system really being viable any longer (except maybe PS3), though 3DS, NGP & Café should be well established.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if DQXI was a 2015-2016 title.

Dragon Quest V, September 27, 1992
-----> 3 Years 2 months
Dragon Quest VI, December 9, 1995
-----> 4 Years 8 months
Dragon Quest VII, August 26, 2000
-----> 4 Years 3 months
Dragon Quest VIII, November 27, 2004
-----> 4 Years 8 months
Dragon Quest IX, July 11, 2009

I would say we might see DQX have a shorter release between it and DQIX, because of how the Wii has been selling in Japan recently and Nintendo would push them to release it sooner.

But, I would also say that DQXI would probably release with the normal time frame in between it and DQX, which is about 4 years. So, I feel confident that we won't see DQXI till late 2015 early 2016.

Now this is assuming that DQX releases holiday 2011 early 2012, but if it releases later than that I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get DQXI till mid 2016 to holiday 2016.

These are all my assumptions of course and could easily be wrong.

Don't forget that Dreamcast was a full generational leap beyond Saturn, PS1, N64.
The Dreamcast was something like 20 times more powerful than N64 in terms of pushing polygons.

disap.ed

Appollowexx said:
I'd say expect a Dreamcast -> PS2 level jump in terms of graphics, and online is anyone's guess and I'm guessing it will be lower in quality than Xbox Live as they set the bar fairly high.

I wouldn't expect this, the first PS2 games looked worse than on Dreamcast.
My guess is a Dreamcast > Xbox thing.

I looking at the Cafe as being an Atari 2600 > Atari 5200 jump in terms of hardware with a slightly better than Skynet from T3 online system.

Barry Lightning said:
nintendo doesnt "get" internet

microsoft doesnt "get" hardware

sony doesnt "get" ui design

enjoy!
index.png

The one thing that Cafe's GPU will be missing is full DirectX11-class tessellation. The DX10 spec doesn't have this and Cae's GPU is rumored to be DX10.1 / Shader Model 4.1 class (R700). However, might AMD bolt one on? I do realise that all AMD GPUs even before DX11 (starting with Xenos) had some limited tessellator, but it would be nice if Cafe had full DX11 class tessellation.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
herzogzwei1989 said:
The one thing that Cafe's GPU will be missing is full DirectX11-class tessellation. The DX10 spec doesn't have this and Cae's GPU is rumored to be DX10.1 / Shader Model 4.1 class (R700). However, might AMD bolt one on? I do realise that all AMD GPUs even before DX11 (starting with Xenos) had some limited tessellator, but it would be nice if Cafe had full DX11 class tessellation.
Why would it be using DirectX? Nintendo will have their own developing tools for the console. There's nothing stopping Nintendo from using a modified chip that allows tesselation.

TunaLover

Christopher Seavor (conkerhimself) reply in his tweet about Nintendo raping MS and Sony:

Oh dear.. hate to disappoint, but i really know nothing, except for a huge admiration and trust in the Big N (VB aside ;))

He was kinda surprised how its followers list goes up after that Tweet =P

ReyVGM

TunaLover said:
Christopher Seavor (conkerhimself) reply in his tweet about Nintendo raping MS and Sony:

Oh dear.. hate to disappoint, but i really know nothing, except for a huge admiration and trust in the Big N (VB aside ;))

Bah... cock teaser.

Easy_D said:
Why would it be using DirectX? Nintendo will have their own developing tools for the console. There's nothing stopping Nintendo from using a modified chip that allows tesselation.

I know, I didn't mean to imply Nintendo using DirectX, only DirectX-class. Nintendo uses OpenGL I think. I should've said that, sorry.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
herzogzwei1989 said:
Well, I think you answered your own question. ATI have had tessellation + vertex texturing (aka displacement mapping) capabilities in their GPUs since C1. Now, whether the performance will be there to provide for any meaningful use of the tech in Cafe - that's an entirely different matter, and we should also consider where the desktop parts of the day will set the bar in this regard. But in principle, an R700 part can do 'dx11' tessellation just fine. AAMOF, 'dx11' tessellation was meant to be in dx10.1, but politics precluded that.

J-Rock

Banned
TunaLover said:

:(

Truth101 said:
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if DQXI was a 2015-2016 title.

Dragon Quest V, September 27, 1992
-----> 3 Years 2 months
Dragon Quest VI, December 9, 1995
-----> 4 Years 8 months
Dragon Quest VII, August 26, 2000
-----> 4 Years 3 months
Dragon Quest VIII, November 27, 2004
-----> 4 Years 8 months
Dragon Quest IX, July 11, 2009

I would say we might see DQX have a shorter release between it and DQIX, because of how the Wii has been selling in Japan recently and Nintendo would push them to release it sooner.

But, I would also say that DQXI would probably release with the normal time frame in between it and DQX, which is about 4 years. So, I feel confident that we won't see DQXI till late 2015 early 2016.

Now this is assuming that DQX releases holiday 2011 early 2012, but if it releases later than that I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get DQXI till mid 2016 to holiday 2016.

These are all my assumptions of course and could easily be wrong.
DQX was recently confirmed to be a 2012 release by the series composer, and if was going to be Q1 then Square Enix would've let us know last week when they put out that investor warning. My guess is summer 2012, probably ~3 years after DQIX.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
herzogzwei1989 said:
I know, I didn't mean to imply Nintendo using DirectX, only DirectX-class. Nintendo uses OpenGL I think. I should've said that, sorry.
No need to be sorry. I was simply saying that there's no chance of the Cafe not having tessellation.
Not that I think it will :p

It's good to know that tessellation will be there, even if it isn't full DirectX-11 class under OpenGL. Hopefully AMD will include a better one than what's in R7xx.

Moving on:

E3 2011 Anticipation: Nintendo Wii 2 [Project Café]
Innovation is upon us, but what games will come along with it?

by Louis Bedigian, May 25, 2011

With nothing more than the promise of an announcement, the gaming community has been left to speculate about the future of the Wii 2. From its unofficial codename (Project Café) to its potentially groundbreaking controller, Wii 2 is already the talk of the town.

This June, we’ll know if the sequel to the Wii (a console once known as Project Revolution) is indeed a revolution. Until then, let’s speculate on the future of the system and the amazing games and features that might be unveiled.

E3 Predictions: Nintendo Wii 2 Announcements

New Peripheral(s): Aside from the rumored touch screen controller, Wii 2 is sure to have new peripherals. Expect one of them to be unveiled at Nintendo’s upcoming press conference.

More Than One Standard Controller: If there’s one thing Nintendo hates, it’s conventional game development. When the rest of the industry replaced expensive game cartridges with compact discs, how did Nintendo respond? By releasing another cartridge-based console.

If the Wii 2 does indeed have a touch screen controller, I find it hard to believe that it will be the only controller Nintendo will make. In fact, the Wii 2 will have two default controllers at launch: one with a touch screen and one that mirrors the Wii remote.

Actually, it might not be two distinctly different controllers, but instead just one controller that features multiple attachments (such as a touch screen).

Wii Sports: Wii Sports quickly became the poster child for Wii hype. It was the game you couldn’t escape. Upon release, it became the game that wound up in schools, nursing homes, and other unexpected places.

When hyping the Wii’s long-awaited successor, Nintendo is bound to leverage the Wii Sports brand. And while the publisher could do that with an impressive tech demo, it is more likely that the Wii Sports game we see at E3 2011 will be the same game we’re playing in 2012.

pikmin.jpg

Pikmin: I already wrote about this in my Wii 2 wish list, but it is worth reiterating here. Simply put, Nintendo would be crazy not to kick off E3 with a Pikmin-related announcement for Wii 2. At this point, it would be surprising if Nintendo chose to release Pikmin 3 on the original Wii instead.

mariopredict.jpg

Mario-Related Tech Demo: Nintendo has the bad habit of not unveiling new Mario games with new consoles and handhelds. Thus, we probably won’t see the Wii 2 Mario until E3 2012. Still, you can bet he’ll star in a tech demo or two, just like the infamous 128 Marios demo that was used to hype the GameCube.

New Franchises: With nearly every new console, Nintendo introduces at least one franchise. Donkey Kong Country, Wave Race 64, Pikmin and Wii Fit all debuted on different Nintendo machines. While not all of these games proved to be retail record-breakers, they share one thing in common: they were very innovative releases.

What new franchise will debut on Wii 2? That’s impossible to predict. But whatever it is, I’m sure it will be nothing less than a groundbreaking masterpiece.

App Store Clone: Nintendo has repeatedly dropped the ball in the area of online gaming/downloads. While I am not 100% convinced that Nintendo will get it right this time around, it would be crazy for the publisher to launch another new console—especially one with a touch screen controller—without a clone of the App Store. If Nintendo is ever going to enter this market, it will do so at the launch of Wii 2.

http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/item/e3_2011_anticipation_nintendo_wii_2_project_cafe/

Busty said:
This console reveal, like every new console reveal, is never going to satisfy everyone's wants and desires.

But I have a feeling that this reveal is going to leave a lot of people broken hearted.

Roll on E3.
Those who obsess over specs might be. I'm just looking forward to some HD Nintendo games with a cool new controller and functional online play. Normal people aint gonna be broken hearted if the Ram is not 2 gb or they have to buy an extra SD card or two periodically. My life does not revolve around Nintendo world domination.

Bring it on!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The Wii Sports HD prediction is plausible in a theoretical sense. But at the same time it is beyond the realm of practicality. It is like Nintendo launching the 3DS with Brain-Age as a launch title. Different times. Different hardware. Different initial launch audience. Eventually we will see Wii type games again. But most likely new ideas and at different launch periods.

blu

I don't care about Wii Sports HD, but I care about Wii Sports Cafe's New Control Schemes ; )

Fourth Storm said:
My life does not revolve around Nintendo world domination.
I like this statement. I actually don't like the idea of a one console to rule them all. Lack of competition will probably lead to lack of innovation. Also, I really don't want Nintendo ruling the gaming world like Sony did with PS2.

I'm expecting 360 level hardware (not above)...so 2005 tech. Hopefully it'll be at a nice, low price. I don't have much time to game these days, so just want to enjoy a couple of Metroids and Marios in HD. And hopefully F-Zero. Thanks.

This is pretty far out I know, but taking into account Kinect's soaring popularity, what if Nintendo just ripped that off with Cafe in addition to the tablet controller? Would make more sense than having 2 controllers or abandoning casual gaming all together. Seems a bit shameful for Nintendo to throw in the towel on Motion controls as soon as a little competition shows up.

And before anyone says it, using an old Wii Remote + on the new system just doesn't seem very exciting or progressive, even if they release a sligtly upgraded version.

J-Rock

Banned
Fourth Storm said:
This is pretty far out I know, but taking into account Kinect's soaring popularity, what if Nintendo just ripped that off with Cafe in addition to the tablet controller?

If Nintendo is going to rip off anything from Microsoft it should be Xbox Live.

Fourth Storm said:
And before anyone says it, using an old Wii Remote + on the new system just doesn't seem very exciting or progressive, even if they release a sligtly upgraded version.
With the exception of the addition of Analogs, Sony hasn't changed the shape of the Playstation controller since it's inception, it's only improved on it's innards. What's wrong with a Wiimote with improved guts?

Grampa Simpson said:
With the exception of the addition of Analogs, Sony hasn't changed the shape of the Playstation controller since it's inception, it's only improved on it's innards. What's wrong with a Wiimote with improved guts?
There's nothing wrong with it. I just don't like the idea of there being two standard controllers. I love the Wii remote + nunchuck combo and don't see there being much support for it when there's a fancy new tablet controller. Plus, I don't want to have to choose between motion controls and the 6" screen. Both have lots of potential for innovation. I want to use them together.

Fourth Storm said:
There's nothing wrong with it. I just don't like the idea of there being two standard controllers. I love the Wii remote + nunchuck combo and don't see there being much support for it when there's a fancy new tablet controller. Plus, I don't want to have to choose between motion controls and the 6" screen. Both have lots of potential for innovation. I want to use them together.

I might eat my words (although I doubt it), but traditional controls and motion controls don't seem to go together so well. Why do you think Nintendo sold the Classic Controller separately instead of giving the Wii Remote the 4-button diamond and the nunchuk the D-pad? I'd imagine it wasn't intuitive / comfortable enough. (EDIT: Also, LOL accessory sales, I know--but why include GameCube controller support?)

A touch-screen in the middle of a traditional controller, however, they've done before - on both DS and 3DS. It's not unheard of.

This thread is dying, once again. It seems it's upto me to try to save it. I really don't have anything much to contribute as I just woke up.

I'll say this, Nintendo Cafe / Wii 2 will most likely be the most powerful console on the market for the space of 1-2 years before Xbox3/PS4 arrive. That alone should attract some degree of 3rd party support, no?

KrawlMan

herzogzwei1989 said:
This thread is dying, once again. It seems it's upto me to try to save it. I really don't have anything much to contribute as I just woke up.

I'll say this, Nintendo Cafe / Wii 2 will most likely be the most powerful console on the market for the space of 1-2 years before Xbox3/PS4 arrive. That alone should attract some degree of 3rd party support, no?

At this point is there really any difference between this thread and the Project Cafe Rumor Cafe thread?

blu

herzogzwei1989 said:
Everybody and their dog will port the shit out of their lineups to the Cafe, that much is clear.

Kenka

11 days left, right ?

I am so unexcited. But I guess it makes the wait less painful. Let's see if we have reasons to rejoice soon. I don't expect to be blown but who knows, mabe the software/launch date/specs/price will all be satisfying.

JGS

Banned
blu said:
Everybody and their dog will port the shit out of their lineups to the Cafe, that much is clear.
That woud be fine as long as Nintendo takes advanatge of the extra oomph. Hopefully that can add some incentive for the 3rd parties (Almost typed that with a straight face).

agrajag

Banned
Kenka said:
11 days left, right ?

I am so unexcited. But I guess it makes the wait less painful. Let's see if we have reasons to rejoice soon. I don't expect to be blown but who knows, mabe the software/launch date/specs/price will all be satisfying.

I thought that was one of Cafe's rumored features?

KrawlMan

Kenka said:
11 days left, right ?

It'd be nice to be blown, but Nintendo tends to pretty self centered.

With the new info from Andriasang concerning Sony's investment in the PS4 I definitely don't think that the 720/PS4 will be leagues ahead of the Cafe. I'm expecting moderation on both Microsoft and Sony's account.

Too bad i'm also expecting moderation from nintendo...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
blu said:

Maybe, but who will want to buy games such as Black Ops, Resident Evil 5 or MGS4 again, even with better texture or framerates? Worst is they're going to be sold for full price again.

Top Bottom