• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Morokh

herzogzwei1989 said:
I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I thought Project Offset was more impessive than the Samaritan demo.

In itself I found the Samaritan demo to be quite disappointing.
Showing a new engine in a cinematic-like video nowadays isn't really the best way to make it shine.

Log4Girlz

Morokh said:
In itself I found the Samaritan demo to be quite disappointing.
Showing a new engine in a cinematic-like video nowadays isn't really the best way to make it shine.

And in the past this was a guaranteed way to crap someone's pants...a nice cinematic demo. We are hitting a wall of diminishing returns.

Caramello

herzogzwei1989 said:
I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I thought Project Offset was more impessive than the Samaritan demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkoi6WCCJHY

It's clearly a generation beyond Skyrim and I doubt that Cafe will ever be able to produce these kind of graphics, but it's fun to dream.

Dat bloom.

Graphics on Cafe is going to be mind blowing if the teams developing the games have some great artists. As always, launch titles won't touch the best of the best graphically when looking back in 2018.

Krowley

Instro said:
This is so untrue its not even funny.

It may not be true on a technical level, but when I look at stuff on the screen in the context of an actual game, or look at screenshots, that's the first impression I get. It feels nothing like difference between ps1/N64 to ps2/GC/Xbox level. Not even close. That was the kind of difference that made people say "wow". This is more like icing on the proverbial cake.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Caramello said:
Dat bloom.

Graphics on Cafe is going to be mind blowing if the teams developing the games have some great artists. As always, launch titles won't touch the best of the best graphically when looking back in 2018.
Launch titles will probably push insane textures and texture variety over graphical effects due to Nintendo not being familiar with modern tech so it will take them to to learn it.

I can't wait for comparison screenshots to pop up after E3, it will probably be the biggest leap in graphics ever.

NateDrake

Caramello said:
Dat bloom.

I want to see what Retro can do. Metroid Prime 3 in full HD would have been amazing. DKC is great and all but I want to see Retro make a game like Metroid again and really create a living world.

Mr_Brit said:
Launch titles will probably push insane textures and texture variety over graphical effects due to Nintendo not being familiar with modern tech so it will take them to to learn it.

I can't wait for comparison screenshots to pop up after E3, it will probably be the biggest leap in graphics ever.

People keep saying stuff like this but Nintendo have been producing HD assets for print publication and pre-rendered scenes for years... I'm sure they've been working on target renders, games and ideas almost as long as they've been working on Cafe, maybe longer.

What exactly is it that we're accusing Nintendo's modellers and coders of being unable to understand?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mr_Brit said:

This why I'd like to see Smash shown. Brawl's character models are pretty amazing in terms of texture detail.

Log4Girlz

Mr_Brit said:

I would say the leap from N64 to Gamecube is a bigger leap. I mean, just compare Resident Evil 4 to...fucking anything on N64 LOL. Now, having said that...yea its going to be a huge, gratifying leap. Maybe...maybe we will say WOW.

Mr_Brit

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
People keep saying stuff like this but Nintendo have been producing HD assets for print publication and pre-rendered scenes for years... I'm sure they've been working on target renders, games and ideas almost as long as they've been working on Cafe, maybe longer.

What exactly is it that we're accusing Nintendo's modellers and coders of being unable to understand?
It's based on the fact that Nintendo's own 3DS games don't look as advanced as third parties which are more well versed in modern technology like Capcom or Kojima who have hands down the most technically impressive 3D games with no competitors coming close especially those who haven't been working with high end graphical techniques. Wii 2 offers even more capabilities like tesselation, global illumination, HDR, tone mapping, streaming etc. These are things that will take time for Nintendo to learn.

Most of Nintendo's employees have been working with DS, Wii and some on 3DS and you can't compare development on those platforms to Wii 2.

Gravijah

Log4Girlz said:
I would say the leap from N64 to Gamecube is a bigger leap. I mean, just compare Resident Evil 4 to...fucking anything on N64 LOL. Now, having said that...yea its going to be a huge, gratifying leap. Maybe...maybe we will say WOW.

Psh, compare Animal Forest to Animal Crossing. That's barely a jump.

As far as I am aware the only 3DS game Nintendo has made themselves so far is Steel Diver and that was made completely for the original DS and then ported over to 3DS at a very late stage.

You can hardly ascertain Nintendo's graphical prowess with the 3DS from Steel Diver...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mr_Brit said:
It's based on the fact that Nintendo's own 3DS games don't look as advanced as third parties which are more well versed in modern technology like Capcom or Kojima who have hands down the most technically impressive 3D games with no competitors coming close especially those who haven't been working with high end graphical techniques. Wii 2 offers even more capabilities like tesselation, global illumination, HDR, tone mapping, streaming etc. These are things that will take time for Nintendo to learn.

Most of Nintendo's employees have been working with DS, Wii and some on 3DS and you can't compare development on those platforms to Wii 2.

I'll again reiterate from the last time we had this discussion, that Pilotwings Resort is pushing nearly all the exact same shaders and effects that the likes of MGS and SSFIV are, and likely gets a bad rap due to it's art style. It's not far and away amazing, but it's still making pretty decent use of the GPU's capabilities.

Though this might be an unfair example, as it was made by Monster Games and not an internal Nintendo team.

Mr_Brit said:

As has already just been pointed out - the only internally produced 3DS game we've seen is Steel Diver - and that was a tech demo for the original DS! Even Ocarina of Time was farmed out to Grezzo.

I guarantee you that the modellers and engine programmers at Nintendo, rivalled in size only by other big publishers like EA and Activision Blizzard, know their shit. You don't work for one of the best game developers and publishers on the planet and not keep your skillset in check.

Log4Girlz

radioheadrule83 said:
As has already just been pointed out - the only internally produced 3DS game we've seen is Steel Diver. Even Ocarina of Time was farmed out to Grezzo.

I guarantee you that the modellers and engine programmers at Nintendo, rivalled in size only by other big publishers like EA and Activision Blizzard, know their shit. You don't work at one of the best game developers and publishers on the planet and not keep your skillset in check.

We will see come e3.

[Nintex]

Nintendo would just hire people to fill in the gaps. It's not like they had extensive knowledge of motion gaming when the Wii hit so they just hired experts in that field.

Also Chris Seavor seems to think that Nintendo will 'rape' the backstabbing devs he was once part of:
conkerhimself
So, i'm quite excited about E3 this year, ironic really now i'm out of the backstabbing grind that is the majority of dev these days.
conkerhimself
Nintendo will rape them...RAPE. Hare, meet tortoise. Tortoise, this is hare. 'Hare.......', said the tortoise. 'Here's a big fuck you!'

[Nintex] said:
Nintendo would just hire people to fill in the gaps. It's not like they had extensive knowledge of motion gaming when the Wii hit so they just hired experts in that field.

Also Chris Seavor seems to think that Nintendo will 'rape' the backstabbing devs he was once part of:

Hmm.. I like my industry commentary replete with violent sexual imagery.

*Follows Chris Seavor*

JonCha

[Nintex] said:

That was hilarious. I hope Nintendo do get some good third-party developers on-board though. They need it.

Busty

Banned
[Nintex] said:

So...he thinks that Nintendo will .....badly at E3?

I have no idea how to interpret this information.

EatChildren

Busty said:
So...he thinks that Nintendo will .....badly at E3?

I have no idea how to interpret this information.

In that context substitute 'rape' for 'own'. Especially with his hare/toitoise analogy, he is implying that Nintendo will be giving the middle finger to everyone. "Slow and steady wins the race".

Is Nintendo the tortoise for taking a while and finally coming along with a powerful HD console?

Or are they the hare for jumping into the next-gen with a half step rather than the full leap that the PS4/Xbox720 will take?

Analogy doesn't hold up.

And for all this talk about graphics, I'm finding that the only thing I care about at this moment is finding out if there's going to be a new remote, which is unfortunately looking less likely than a mediocre dual analog pad.

Truth101

Banned
Freezie KO said:
Is Nintendo the tortoise for taking a while and finally coming along with a powerful HD console?

Or are they the hare for jumping into the next-gen with a half step rather than the full leap that the PS4/Xbox720 will take?

Analogy doesn't hold up.

And for all this talk about graphics, I'm finding that the only thing I care about at this moment is finding out if there's going to be a new remote, which is unfortunately looking less likely than a mediocre dual analog pad.

I honestly thought he meant it as the tortoise eating the hare.

Along the lines of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8rU-bLYM7Y

Nintendo too gobble up all 3rd party developers confirmed

Freezie KO said:

There will be a new remote. The system will come with a remote, a new pad + screen, but no nunchuck.

Wolves Evolve said:
There will be a new remote. The system will come with a remote, a new pad + screen, but no nunchuck.

I'd be okay with this. as long as I don't have to give up the pointer and give third parties an incenitve to include pointer controls

NateDrake said:
I want to see what Retro can do. Metroid Prime 3 in full HD would have been amazing. DKC is great and all but I want to see Retro make a game like Metroid again and really create a living world.

I feel exactly the same. Metroid Prime 3 would look amazing in HD, I cannot wait to see what Retro can do on a game that is not DKCR2.

EatChildren

Truth101 said:
I honestly thought he meant it as the tortoise eating the hare.

His 'slow and steady wins the racer' analogy is likely referring to the path Nintendo took with the Wii. They played it slow, and they 'won the race', much to the surprise and ignorance of a lot of third parties.

big_z

BY2K said:
I keep saying, F-Zero would be the perfect game for Retro's first HD title. They have the talent!

i would let sega do f-zero again providing the GX team still exists. give retro zelda, that series needs a fresh take because right now all nintendo can do is remake the same damn game over and over.

I agree, Sega's Amusement Vision should do another F-ZERO. Make it 1080p 120fps 3D (60fps for each eye, if PS3 can do it in Super Stardust then Cafe can for F-ZERO) ^__^

Nessus

runnin_blue said:
As far as I am aware the only 3DS game Nintendo has made themselves so far is Steel Diver and that was made completely for the original DS and then ported over to 3DS at a very late stage.

You can hardly ascertain Nintendo's graphical prowess with the 3DS from Steel Diver...

Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

Steel Diver clearly didn't have a huge budget.

Seems to me Super Mario 3D is probably going to be the first big budget Nintendo game on the system (even the Ocarina remake isn't being handled by Nintendo, and Kid Icarus is being made by Project Sora), but even that isn't going to be the best to gauge by since it's being made by EAD Tokyo, one of only 2 Nintendo studios (along with Retro) actually known for really pushing high end graphics.

All this is a convoluted way of saying I'm genuinely curious to see what Nintendo's other teams (Zelda team, Intelligent Systems, etc.) manage to pull off with the more powerful hardware of the 3DS and Cafe.

EatChildren said:
There's absolutely nothing impressive about Skyrim beyond what one would expect from a game built for this generation's consoles. The art is a huge improvement, and it's technically superior to the last Elder Scrolls title, but it's next to nothing beyond Oblivion's scope and other games of it's kind. People are hyped for it, and it will look nice on PC, but it's nowhere close to being a graphical benchmark.

So yeah, it's not surprising stuff like Offset looks a generation ahead. These are games built for PC and built to push the crazy good hardware we've got to the limits, so you get an abundence of awesome shaders, textures, physic and geometry calculations.

I cannot imagine the future Elder Scrolls VI looking as good as, if not better than, Project Offset, on Xbox3/PS4.

Wii 2 wont push close to that, but I'm one of the bitterly cynical lot who dont expect the Wii 2 to be much more than an Xbox 360.

I'm hoping for at least 2x the Xbox 360 at the very least. I'm cautiously opptimistic.

herzogzwei1989 said:
I agree, Sega's Amusement Vision should do another F-ZERO. Make it 1080p 120fps 3D (60fps for each eye, if PS3 can do it in Super Stardust then Cafe can for F-ZERO) ^__^
Too bad Sega heard nothing from Nintendo regarding F-Zero. Unless they are lying......

Log4Girlz

herzogzwei1989 said:
I cannot imagine the future Elder Scrolls VI looking as good as, if not better than, Project Offset, on Xbox3/PS4.

I'm hoping for at least 2x the Xbox 360 at the very least. I'm cautiously opptimistic.

There is very little in that video I wouldn't imagine the Xbox3/PS4 not matching.

EatChildren

Didn't pretty much all of the GX team get gobbled up by Nintendo anyway?

Busty

Banned
This console reveal, like every new console reveal, is never going to satisfy everyone's wants and desires.

But I have a feeling that this reveal is going to leave a lot of people broken hearted.

Roll on E3.

radioheadrule83 said:
As has already just been pointed out - the only internally produced 3DS game we've seen is Steel Diver - and that was a tech demo for the original DS! Even Ocarina of Time was farmed out to Grezzo.

Internally 'produced' and directed, but it sounds like the art and code for Steel Diver were done by Giles Goddard's Vitei Inc. http://www.vitei.com/games/
Nintendogs + Cats might be completely internal, maybe?

big_z

Log4Girlz said:
There is very little in that video I wouldn't imagine the Xbox3/PS4 not matching.

there's very little in the offset video that cant already be done on current gen hardware.

Busty said:
This console reveal, like every new console reveal, is never going to satisfy everyone's wants and desires.

But I have a feeling that this reveal is going to leave a lot of people broken hearted.

Roll on E3.

together we will taste the tears of sadness.

Log4Girlz

Busty said:

Roll on E3.

Shut your whore mouth.

;)

big_z

Log4Girlz said:
Current gen hardware struggles to render dwarves.

yeah beard tech is lacking this gen. however if you model them so the look like mini space marines with axes, you get a rock solid 60fps.

Busty said:

Roll on E3.

The only people that will be broken hearted are you and big-z, thankfully.
:)

Top Bottom