• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "[Wii] runs a distant second to 360 in annual profits"

dejay

Banned
RandomVince said:
This.

I was always amazed when Australian EDGE managed to do alright, even when it wasnt quite as good as the UK one (still, they seemed to kick off the trend of dishing out 10s willy-nilly).

And now the Australian IGN has managed to out-stupid the original version. Thats quite an achievement.

Nobody out-stupids us Aussies!

Now I think I'll go to Cronulla with an Australian flag wrapped around me.

RagnarokX

2qno2mf.gif

This was going to be a sarcastic response in which I was going to pretend to agree with the article in the OP, but then I decided against it.

legend166

Vorador said:
^^^^^^ Never get's old :lol

It's even the same poster!! :lol :lol :lol

Holy crap! I don't even remember that :lol

The similarities are truly frightening.

I even made the same "paid content" observation! Spooky.

legend166

Dax01 said:
Don't try to play this off, Rus McLaughlin. We know it's you.

Hahaha, if only.

I do feel vindicated that the 2008 article wasn't an April Fools joke. I demand an apology from Y2Kev.

DEMAND.

AppleBlade

To say Sega Bombed 3 times in a row with House of the Dead: Overkill, Madworld, and the Conduit I think is hyperbole. I mean House of the Dead: Overkill has already turned a profit and Conduit not only turned a profit but has done fairly solid.

I think a lot of these guys ignore the fact that development costs are a lot lower on the Wii. Most PS3/360 game would lose several million dollars if a mid-profile game sold the way House of the Dead did, but on the Wii it is profitable.

Doc Evils

that Wiis are now readily in stock at Babies R Us, a.k.a. the pastel circle of hell. That's just depressing. The Wii is common. The shine is off. Natal is the new hotness.

As soon as I saw this line, I wondered why IGN started to recruit from N4G.

the thoroughbred said:
He did end on a positive note.
Yeah, and it came off as a futile attempt to prove he's not a fanboy.

Look guys, I ended with a few obligatory lines blowing smoke up the Wii's ass. Fair and balanced! You can't call me out on the buggery that was the first 85% of the article now!

Corto

I'm the guy who's been known to lead off a column by typing "the Wii is a fad" several times in a row. Not because I personally believe it, but because it's fun to watch Nintendaddicts get Hulk-mad (complete with humorous color changes) and the very notion raises interesting questions.

I stopped reading from this paragraph... Hey, but at least no one can accuse him of being deceptive. :D

andthebeatgoeson

hamchan said:
Why the heck didn't you mention the positive stuff he has to say about the wii in your OP? the stuff about how people calling it a toy should reevaluate their need for playing games. How "more is coming. Alot more." He also said that the Wii does have hardcore games, just that they didn't sell as well as expected, which he isn't wrong about.

You wanted an ign bash thread?
Because he spent the first few paragraphs pulling out the old troll arguments. You can't start a good Queen Elizabeth article by calling her a whore. Then he let's loose with this one:
N-fans love to shout Wii sales numbers (52.3 million units at this writing) and its total market domination (almost half of all consoles sold is a Wii) and call it good. It is good... it's just not good enough. The real money's made in software, and that's where the Big N's had a ton of trouble reconciling two distinct classes of consumer: casual players and hardcore gamers.

He calls 52 million units at this time in the lifecycle 'not good enough'. He never quantifies or directly addresses the difference between Nintendo producing software and it's rivals. I thought MS retreated behind the goal post of 'most 3rd party software' a long time ago. If they leaped frogged Nintendo for total software sold each month, then it would have shirley been news. Am I missing something or did he just dismiss 1st party Nintendo software sales, which, shirley, are more profitable than an equal number of 3rd party titles? And he pulled out the old argument of selling more expensive equipement for more revenue as an indicator that Nintendo is somehow losing. Revenue doesn't matter if you're losing money hand over fist.

So, this article is more schizo than Nintendo by starting with shit, than giving us unsubstantiated opinion, followed up with a few positive thoughts still unsubstantiated by anything reasonable.

Aside: Redsteel 2 is really the best 3rd party hardcore title available that he could think of? Really? RE4Wii isn't at the top of your list? Giving people a great game with markedly improved controls? No wonder devs can't get it right. They dev for this industry 24/7 and this guy covers this industry and they still have no fuckin clue what dedicated gamers want out of the Wii. Look at the controller. Improve the controlling experience. I don't need new or inventive or revolutionary every single time. Give me a solid performance, similar to 360/PS3. Give me regular Dead Space. I accept the graphics won't be the same. Or the AI won't be the same. But I've seen all the 'power' you put into the AI and it still involves a bug crawling directly toward me after I shot it's legs off. I'm not fooled. The overwhelming majority of the extra effort is visual and I'm over that. Give me similar and not gimped or re-imagined and give it to me day and date as the others. I don't necessarily care about online.

It's not merely the journalist's job to just give an opinion. He has to do more. Than again, these are not journalists. What you have noticed is just informed members dismissing his piece as nothing more than a glorified forum post.

Neki

From other article said:
My personal 360/Wii ratio is about 3 to 1. And I blame the Wii for that.
Yes, more statistics that I can get behind, now it's up to 4:1! Keep on chugging, btw, where is the stats for the annual profits?

RandomVince said:
This.

I was always amazed when Australian EDGE managed to do alright, even when it wasnt quite as good as the UK one (still, they seemed to kick off the trend of dishing out 10s willy-nilly).

And now the Australian IGN has managed to out-stupid the original version. Thats quite an achievement.
Is it really that bad? Like, Joy "to the" stiq bad, or worse than that?

Zenith

Banned
I'm the guy who's been known to lead off a column by typing "the Wii is a fad" several times in a row. Not because I personally believe it, but because it's fun to watch Nintendaddicts get Hulk-mad (complete with humorous color changes) and the very notion raises interesting questions.

Did an IGN editor just confess to purposely skewing articles to troll the Wii?

farnham

Banned
In 2008 most of the third party software sold on the Wii

Not to mention first party software...

i dont get the point of this well written article

Sipowicz

Banned
Amir0x said:
*scribbles down notes for 'do game "journalists" hate wii?' thread*

i dont think this guy hates the wii, the only ign guy who hates the wii is deamon hatfield. i think this guy is just really, really stupid and he works for a terrible site

SamBishop

Banned
Holy shit, aren't you a reactionary lot. Aside from the whole one-off "Nintendo fans are a third-party-cautious lot" comment, nothing about what he wrote was wrong in what is clearly an editorial. Stop harping on the knee-jerk things that offend you to the soul and concentrate on the talking points. Sorry, legend166, but you've failed as an OP:

I honestly couldn't be bothered reading through again to bold things, it's too painful. So I'll give a quick summary:

- Wii only sells because of Wii Fit and Wii Play
- Wii does not sell software
- Wii has no hardcore games
- Contrary to point one, Mario Kart sells really well (he doesn't acknowlegde the contradiction, however)
- Oh yeah, the point in topic: apparently the Wii's high sales are moot because the Xbox 360 makes more money than it. what is this I don't even

So basically, stock standard for IGN

I cringe when I see some of the stuff that goes up on IGN sometimes, but I'm not a full-time employee and I can point and laugh with the rest of you, but... seriously?

-He said the casual market is attached to Wii Fit/Play and consistently reward Nintendo with sales month after month. There was absolutely no link to it being why the system sells.
-He said the system doesn't sell hardcore software on the level of first-party, all-encompassing (or "casual" if you want to be that blind) titles, and he is absolutely right. He also specifically called out the "failure" of Wii Music as a multi-million seller to be a clear example of the fallacy of even Nintendo software somehow doing "poorly" when the poor PS3 is struggling to hit a million copies sold on some of their first-party efforts.
-He said the hardcore games sell like shit compared to the monolithic first-party efforts. He also mentioned that the hardcore efforts from Nintendo themselves sell like shit compared to their casual-friendly titles. He is correct. Though his lack of luv for HotD: Overkill makes me sad. The Conduit can eat a dick, but the other two games he mentioned are awesome and deserved better sales.
-He mentions that exact contradiction and makes a point of it being a crossover title in the article, what the hell, man? Re-read it not for bolds but for comprehension.
-The entire point of the article was that Nintendo is in a rare place to serve both segments of their fanbase: the classic hardcore that ask for multiple games a year (yes, please) and those that will happily just buy the casual Fit/Play/Resort stuff and keep those games selling on legs no title has ever enjoyed in the past aside from perhaps some first-party DS stuff and Monster Hunter in Japan.

Did you link to a different article or something?

A few developers stepped up to fill the hardcore void Nintendo left, and the results have been shaky to say the least. Capcom's done well porting its popular Resident Evil series to the Wii, but tanked badly doing the same to zombie apocalypser Dead Rising. Sega's bombed three times in a row with Madworld, House of the Dead: Overkill, and The Conduit.

All these games put together wouldn't match the sales figures of Wii Music, which (at 2.6 million sold) is the comparative "failure" of the Wii Game imprint. No lie, some of them are well deserving of their abysmal fate, but Madworld and Conduit are good games that could have and should have done better.

yeah conduit should have sold well, not house of the dead

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's IGN desperate for hits.

In the short term it does work, long term who knows. They've been doing this periodically for a long time already.

SamBishop

Banned
Azelover said:
It's IGN desperate for hits.

In the short term it does work, long term who knows. They've been doing this periodically for a long time already.

An article on, say, Mass Effect 2 or God of War III or Mario Galaxy 2 (even just a speculation "what we wanna see" shitfest) would garner 50 if not 100 times more hits than this article ever will on the local site -- to say nothing of the differences between AU/US/UK. IGN isn't desperate for any kind of traffic; it's not a fucking blog, and even if it was, this kind of thing wouldn't make a lick o' difference. Try again.

EmCeeGramr said:
yeah conduit should have sold well, not house of the dead

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Gonna hug ya if I ever see you. Just sayin'.
\

rvy

Banned
Oh... what in the name of fuck? Whoever came up with that "You can't spell ignorant without IGN." is a genius.

PaNaMa

Banned
The OP's arguments are filled with flaws (52 million not enough, etc) however he does make some valid points as well. I will say this: Myself and maybe 7 of my friends have all had Wii's since launch. None of us have turned them on, nor have even our girlfriends turned them on, since the launch of Mario Kart. Even then, my GF played that for just a couple days.

Everyone I know with a Wii simply does not play it. No one even turns it on, let alone buys any new games for it. Granted, we're all core gamers who play on XBL every night.

Our GFs could be described as casuals, however. Like the OP said, we have Wii Play, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart all sitting on my entertainment center gathering dust. Oh and Zelda too, cause I picked it up used.

Anyways, Wii is still megapopular and that's great. I may even try this Conduit game he takled about. And I'm going to get Tiger Woods 10 cause I played it at a friend's house (he has three kids under 6) and I actually really enjoyed it. But Nintendo's $250 console is feature-barren and performance challenged compared to PS3 and 360, and now that Microsoft and Sony have acheived price parity with Wii (just about) Nintendo has to consider either dropping its price or kicking out some MAD GAMES to get those 50 million people buying software.

SamBishop

Banned
Shikashi said:
Oh... what in the name of fuck? Whoever came up with that "You can't spell ignorant without IGN." is a genius.

It was IGN. IGNorant sluts, actually. There were shirts made. For the company. Did I just blow your mind?

I fucking give up. This thread isn't interested in discussion. Thanks for being thread 23940809284 that counter-balances all the awesome that was in the unfortunately-titled "Do games 'journalists' hate the Wii?" thread.

Nope, editorial folks just hate you and get off on seeing reactions like this.

PaNaMa said:
The OP's arguments are filled with flaws (52 million not enough, etc) however he does make some valid points as well. I will say this: Myself and maybe 7 of my friends have all had Wii's since launch. None of us have turned them on, nor have even our girlfriends turned them on, since the launch of Mario Kart. Even then, my GF played that for just a couple days.

Everyone I know with a Wii simply does not play it. No one even turns it on, let alone buys any new games for it. Granted, we're all core gamers who play on XBL every night.

Our GFs could be described as casuals, however. Like the OP said, we have Wii Play, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart all sitting on my entertainment center gathering dust. Oh and Zelda too, cause I picked it up used.

Anyways, Wii is still megapopular and that's great. I may even try this Conduit game he takled about. And I'm going to get Tiger Woods 10 cause I played it at a friend's house (he has three kids under 6) and I actually really enjoyed it. But Nintendo's $250 console is feature-barren and performance challenged compared to PS3 and 360, and now that Microsoft and Sony have acheived price parity with Wii (just about) Nintendo has to consider either dropping its price or kicking out some MAD GAMES to get those 50 million people buying software.
I don't know what it is, but this post just made me smirk. Probably because of all the stereotyping and "anecdotal evidence". I also like the irrelevant "he has three kids under 6" comment. However, I'm not that dense to deny that the Wii has an image (and game library ?) problem with a certain demographic.

upandaway

PaNaMa said:
You are the best examples ever of the Wii user base and your condition stands as the best example of Wii users as a whole.

(stop being silly)

Ever since summer of 2008, no major Wii games have come out, up until Wii Sports Resort this year. Of course your girlfriends won't use it if there aren't any games to use it with, when they're mostly playing it with you or by themselves.

SamBishop said:
It was IGN. IGNorant sluts, actually. There were shirts made. For the company. Did I just blow your mind?

I fucking give up. This thread isn't interested in discussion. Thanks for being thread 23940809284 that counter-balances all the awesome that was in the unfortunately-titled "Do games 'journalists' hate the Wii?" thread.

Nope, editorial folks just hate you and get off on seeing reactions like this.
What do you want people to say to an article like this? "Well he does have some points?"

I could write an "article" that only consists of "THE PS3 SUX THE PS3 SUX THE PS3 SUX" and somewhere in the middle I say that "there is a new slim PS3 coming for a price of 299$ that will probably spur sales", and you'd have to say that "I do have a point".

I think it's more than fair to call a journalist out on article that is pretty blatant fanboyism. And as I already stated, even if you consider it an editorial, you still have to use correct numbers and facts, which he doesn't.

jay

It's strange that people see Sony and MSs motion controllers as Wii killers instead of desperate moves into "me too" space.

Top Bottom