• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm building a new house - should I run some fiber cable to my office/gaming room?

OZ9000

Banned
I'm getting CAT6 wired throughout my entire house but I've been reading it's a good idea to also run some fiber cabling. Does anyone have any experience with this? What type of fiber should I run?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No idea what type, but you absolutely have to run fibre into your office/gaming room, trust me, you don't want to rely on WiFi for gaming, you'll thank me later.

It's impressive that you're building your own house!

The funny thing for streaming is that some TV’s and boxes limit their Ethernet cables to 100 Mbps (sometimes achieving much less than that :/) when WiFi could get the more than double.

OZ9000

Banned
No idea what type, but you absolutely have to run fibre into your office/gaming room, trust me, you don't want to rely on WiFi for gaming, you'll thank me later.

Is this cable what I need to run:

BabyYoda

Banned
The funny thing for streaming is that some TV’s and boxes limit their Ethernet cables to 100 Mbps (sometimes achieving much less than that :/) when WiFi could get the more than double.
It's more ping I'm thinking about, but I suppose you have a point also, I guess having the choice of both is the best option.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Build a wooden house in a remote forest and go back to basic.

Tin Foil Hat GIF by Big Brother

Yes!

Also try run it in some sort of roomy piping so then you can pull some new stuff through if needed in the future. You never know what cable tech might be available in the future.

Zug

I would say : put some good quality copper (cat 6a), and make it possible to put something else in a decade if needed.
Fiber isn't really usable for private use at the moment (expansive and specific hardware), nor necessary (10GB is plenty enough, and latency difference must be less than 1ms between fiber and copper in a house). Also standards change and the best fiber available might be useless in a few years.

Last edited:

Three

I'm getting CAT6 wired throughout my entire house but I've been reading it's a good idea to also run some fiber cabling. Does anyone have any experience with this? What type of fiber should I run?
Which fiber did you use? OS2? OM3? OM4? OM5?
What equipment do you plan to connect? If you are just doing it to futureproof your house without a given need I would just concentrate on laying out a cable conduit designed with fibre in mind (ie no sharp bends in your build). That way cabling for any future needs becomes simple.

Last edited:

duck_sauce

Fiber is overkill, ethernet speeds are more than sufficient. Does your local isp even do fiber straight to the home?
If money is not a limiting factor -> futureproofing is a must. We dont know for how long fiber will be overkill. I still remember the 1080p-is-enough-days.

rajkosto

Neo Member
Fiber actually costs less for the cables and less for the SFP modules/ports than 10gbps over cat6/a
For the fiber type, run Bend Insensitive OS2 G657A2 fiber, which is actually cheaper than multimode stuff (which is becoming deprecated, and only used in datacenters) with LC-UPC connectors (you need a duplex for each link)
Best would be to have a nice high diameter conduit in the walls instead you can run anything through
For the switches, CSS610-8G-2S+IN (2 SFP+, 8 gigabit) or CRS305-1G-4S+IN (4 SFP+, 1 gigabit) are your cheapest options
If you have access to fs.com you can get 1310nm SM LC-UPC duplex 10gbps transcievers pretty cheap, i don't so i use some 9$/ea ones from ebay.

Best advice I got when building my own home was to put twice the amount of power outlets and cable runs as you will think you will lead. It's 90% cheaper to do it when building than afterwards.
In other words, do it op.

OZ9000

Banned
What equipment do you plan to connect? If you are just doing it to futureproof your house without a given need I would just concentrate on laying out a cable conduit designed with fibre in mind (ie no sharp bends in your build). That way cabling for any future needs becomes simple.
Putting conduit to the office will be impossible tbh. So I'm thinking ahead with some fibre cable - I think OS2 is rated up to 400 gigabit so may just buy that.

Fiber is overkill, ethernet speeds are more than sufficient. Does your local isp even do fiber straight to the home?
Yes we have 1 gigabit fibre to the premises.

CAT8 carries 40 gigabit but it also costs an arm and a leg. I've settled with CAT6 (costing me £40 per ethernet port - have gone for 12x connections in total - still seems very pricey just to lay and crimp some ethernet cables to be honest). CAT6 should be fine for 10 gigabit but fibre for the possibility that I need more.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Best advice I got when building my own home was to put twice the amount of power outlets and cable runs as you will think you will lead. It's 90% cheaper to do it when building than afterwards.
In other words, do it op.
This is what I've done but I can't believe how expensive it is to install light fixtures / wall outlets / Ethernet outlets. However might as well do it right the first time....

You only need fiber coming in the house. If it's purely for networking/ domotica, then use Cat6 ethernet to get higher bandwith.

I just moved into a brand new apartment and also with wall outlets. Its all Cat6 for high throughput.

TheBreezyBB

Isn't CAT8 much better and future proof?!
Equipment for ethernet is available everywhere.
No point in going fibre for at least 15-20 years

REDRZA MWS

You absolutely should. I bought a home, brand new construction in 2019, every room has ethernet ports in the walls and it’s a pleasure. I game online mainly save a few great AAA solo titles, and wireless never cuts it for me.

Does fiber add much to the costs? Sounds like goldsomethingsomething for the audio enthusiast or some other extreme crew. In theory better but actually wasted money.
Proper G5 (and G6 in a far away timeframe) is probably the future for most homes (actually most will not need more than current copper cables and 4G for years or maybe decades), with fiber to the radio towers, and within the house newer WiFi standards should also suffice. Wi-Fi 7 aims at 40Gbit/s or something...the ballpark of cat8 I guess. So I woud not even necessarily do any cable. But a few single "standard" outlets at a couple of rooms probably is affordable. But if fiber doesn't multiply the cost to astronomous numbers, why not... doing it afterwards would of course be dumb if you already know that you have insane pro gamer or whatever requirements.

Celcius

°Temp. member
You absolutely should. I bought a home, brand new construction in 2019, every room has ethernet ports in the walls and it’s a pleasure. I game online mainly save a few great AAA solo titles, and wireless never cuts it for me.
How much does it cost to get an Ethernet port wired into every room?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't know if you will need it if you already have ethernet, but the more shit you can put in the walls while building the better as its a 1000 times easier when the walls aren't built.

Run conduit.

If you're building your own home, it typically means you're living in it as your forever home.

The same way my parents 35 year old house has phone line and coax run throughout it. Eventually that is no longer used. Running cat 5e/6/8 fiber will only eventually become complete. If you leave yourself an easy way to run new cable from say the basement server area to the gaming bedroom, then you'll always be able to run whatever the best is whenever you need to. Doing anything else isn't "future proofing" it's overspending for something to buy you a little bit more runway.

K' Dash

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

You make it sound like it was a life or death situation, unless OP is into competitive gaming, Wi-Fi is more than enough for 99% of people.

Gamerguy84

I probably have 50 to 60 things connected.
All computers, PS, PS5, home hub, etc are hardwired. My cable tv is YTTV so the old rg6 is worthless except for one moca connection.

I have fiber running to the home and cat 6 with some cat 5 throughout. Using network monitoring software im not close to maxed at any point with lots of room to spare.

Should my fiber connect go down most of it is connected to 5g.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
when i rewired my house i ran dual CAT6 to every room... everything is connected via wifi ffs, as a poster stated most consumer electronics are 100mb ethernet

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
There is no practical reason to run fiber unless your gaming room is more than 100 Meters away from the ISP Network equipment. Cat6 cabling is capable of very high speeds on and of itself. If you wanted to get fancy you could use shielded Cat6 which is slightly sturdier, and which can potentially cut down on (unlikely) EMI interference. But even that is probably overkill.

rajkosto

Neo Member
This. That cat 6 is capable off 10Gbps
At about 3-4x the cost for the electronics (and similar cost of the cable) than SM fiber.
The only reason to stay on copper ethernet is
1. compatibility with older 1gbps and slower devices
2. you have cables in your walls already so you are ok paying the higher electronics cost to not run new cable

since he is running NEW cable, it makes sense to run OS2 fiber because
1. glass is cheaper than properly twisted and shielded pure copper (especially since the same cabling type is used for FTTH, making it extremely mass produced)
2. fast lasers and simple transcievers are cheaper at 10gbps+ speeds than equivalent analog modulation/DSP circuits needed to run the same speeds over copper
3. switching equipment/network cards are about the same price (if the switch/network card has a rj45 10gbps port instead of a SFP+ port though, the cost will be 3-4x more per port)

the downside of running fibre is that its unlikely you will be able to terminate it yourself without lots of equipment/training (although properly terminating cat6a/7/8 so it ACTUALLY passes certification and run the speeds it needs to is increasingly finnicky and likely to be done wrong)
the only reason to still have cat cabling around is compatibility with older 1gbps devices, so my recommendation is to run both cat6 and bend insensitive duplex fiber through the wall, especially since combo wall plates exist that have a rj45 keystone hole in the middle, with a spool for excess fiber around it, and 2 spots on the bottom to put fiber female to female couplers

It’s really not going to matter? Because it depends on the wire running from the road to the house.
so you dont have any devices on your LAN that you would like to access faster than whatever speeds you are getting through your ISP ?
in a home office you might want to have a NAS, and having your storage limited to only 115MB/s over conventional cheap ethernet is a drag.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I say no , cat 6 can support 10gbps. you wont need anymore than that for a long time for networking.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Michael Jordan Lol GIF

You make it sound like it was a life or death situation, unless OP is into competitive gaming, Wi-Fi is more than enough for 99% of people.
As someone who has been gaming exclusively on WiFi in 2022, I don’t wish this on anyone. Next year I hope to go back to hard wired forever.

Pagusas

Elden Member
when we built our house 5 years ago the contractor wanted an obscene amount of money to run fiber, so instead I had them run empty orange flex conduit to every room up into the attic. Then once the house was done I ran all my fiber lines myself through those. It took a few hours but saved me tons. Plus I've used those same conduits to run other things now too, such as a 200 ft fiber HDMI cord from my office to theater room to play PC games in there easily.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Overwhelmingly positive.....yes...fuck yes..do it. Do not....I repeat do not skip fibering your setup
Mind sharing why? I have a few 25gbps nics and two switches that support them. It was hella expensive but most of the items connected to the network is 10gbps or below.

I got the set up because I wanted high speed access to my servers for work but even with the 25gbps fiber cards I barely get 10 out of them and the consoles will only do south of 1 gbps.

TrueLegend

Mind sharing why? I have a few 25gbps nics and two switches that support them. It was hella expensive but most of the items connected to the network is 10gbps or below.

I got the set up because I wanted high speed access to my servers for work but even with the 25gbps fiber cards I barely get 10 out of them and the consoles will only do south of 1 gbps.
It's nothing to do with the internet connection, more to do with adapters both inbuilt and plugged as they all are prone to malfunctioning and lags even if they are perfectly made because of driver issues because drivers are exposed to software updates at system level. Wifi drivers breaking issues are common and widespread when operating system go through major iterations.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's nothing to do with the internet connection, more to do with adapters both inbuilt and plugged as they all are prone to malfunctioning and lags even if they are perfectly made because of driver issues because drivers are exposed to software updates at system level. Wifi drivers breaking issues are common and widespread when operating system go through major iterations.
I did not say anything about internet or wifi. This topic is about copper or fiber optic LAN.

Top Bottom