• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm building a new house - should I run some fiber cable to my office/gaming room?

Akuji

Wlan has Gotten pretty good and the 50year old house i bought i installed fibre Internet access and have everything done on a wifi 6 mesh. Works pretty good. That being said fibre is still the better option i can only Tell you to run as many cables as you can afford. Speaker cables for the Living room with the cables coming out in the Server/ maintanence room would be another for me. Etc pp.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You absolutely should. I bought a home, brand new construction in 2019, every room has ethernet ports in the walls and it’s a pleasure. I game online mainly save a few great AAA solo titles, and wireless never cuts it for me.

That's not really what he's asking though, it's about Ethernet vs fiber inside the house.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Wlan has Gotten pretty good and the 50year old house i bought i installed fibre Internet access and have everything done on a wifi 6 mesh. Works pretty good. That being said fibre is still the better option i can only Tell you to run as many cables as you can afford. Speaker cables for the Living room with the cables coming out in the Server/ maintanence room would be another for me. Etc pp.
Yeah put whatever shit you can think of in the walls while they are just framed. Get recessed power outlets where you might put a TV on the wall, add some HDMI or display port outlets as well and run them into closets etc if you can. Wires suck, so the more you can hide now the better.

rajkosto

Neo Member
Mind sharing why? I have a few 25gbps nics and two switches that support them. It was hella expensive but most of the items connected to the network is 10gbps or below.

I got the set up because I wanted high speed access to my servers for work but even with the 25gbps fiber cards I barely get 10 out of them and the consoles will only do south of 1 gbps.
you went too fast, 10gbps is the economical limit for home networking these days (and it being cheaper over fiber than copper is what swayed me to delve into the "unknown" territory of handling fiber cable and SFP* equipment)
since he wants future proof, OS2 will give him that though, 100gbps transcievers over a single OS2 fiber are already used in datacenters (obviously too expensive for home use), but it shows the limit on OS2 is only the electronics, not the fiber itself (while OM fiber needs a new category and cable every couple of speed generations, just like copper)
cat6 through the wall as well for older devices (without needing a switch in the room) as well as possible PoE is good to run at the same time too. then the extra fiber through the wall (and being accessible through the bottom of the wall socket) can be ignored until he actually wants to invest in 10g+ gear

RoboFu

One of the green rats
you went too fast, 10gbps is the economical limit for home networking these days (and it being cheaper over fiber than copper is what swayed me to delve into the "unknown" territory of handling fiber cable and SFP* equipment)
since he wants future proof, OS2 will give him that though, 100gbps transcievers over a single OS2 fiber are already used in datacenters (obviously too expensive for home use), but it shows the limit on OS2 is only the electronics, not the fiber itself (while OM fiber needs a new category and cable every couple of speed generations, just like copper)
cat6 through the wall as well for older devices (without needing a switch in the room) as well as possible PoE is good to run at the same time too. then the extra fiber through the wall (and being accessible through the bottom of the wall socket) can be ignored until he actually wants to invest in 10g+ gear
well the 25gb where mainly for bandwidth concerns. I have 2 unraid servers both used for NAS and running VMs.
But yeah it ended up being overkill.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I'll feed 3x OS2 duplex cables to my office. I presume OS2 is the best cable (as opposed to the OM fiber)?

That should be enough right?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If money is not a limiting factor -> futureproofing is a must. We dont know for how long fiber will be overkill. I still remember the 1080p-is-enough-days.
Was 1080p NOT enough in the 1080p is enough days?
How many 1080p titles were there for PS360?

rajkosto

Neo Member
OS2 is currently cheaper (due to use in FTTH) and has basically infinite bandwidth so shouldn't need to be replaced in 20 years
the benefit of OM is that the transcievers for it are cheaper (they are the ones marked as 850nm), but this benefit is lost nowadays when you can find companies dumping loads of used 10gbps 1310nm SM transcievers onto ebay and similar
you don't want to run OM in your walls if future-proofing is what you want though.

rajkosto

Neo Member
I'll feed 3x OS2 duplex cables to my office.
That should be enough right?
if you actually want this many fibers there are cables where the outer sheath/armor is shared and there are 4/8/12 slightly-protected 1mm thickness strands coming out of it (with appropriate connector), but i guess the thickness of running many individually-sleeved fibers isnt an issue for you so it doesn't matter

I dont understand how wifi for online gaming = bad but wifi for using a VR headset = good. Are they using a different type of wifi or something and if so, why wouldn't gaming wifi use that wifi?

Also, it's kind of been mentioned but true future proofing is not installing fiber, true future proofing is installing conduit so that you can later install literally anything you want. 10 years from now when cotton yarn becomes the hot shit networking cable you will be happy you had conduit.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I dont understand how wifi for online gaming = bad but wifi for using a VR headset = good. Are they using a different type of wifi or something and if so, why wouldn't gaming wifi use that wifi?

Also, it's kind of been mentioned but true future proofing is not installing fiber, true future proofing is installing conduit so that you can later install literally anything you want. 10 years from now when cotton yarn becomes the hot shit networking cable you will be happy you had conduit.

WiFi 6 isn't really bad for gaming at all. The only online game I really play is Rocket League, and my ping over WiFi typically shows as around 20-25ms, same as I used to get over Ethernet. This will of course depend on radio signal congestion in your particular location, how good your router is, etc, but in good conditions modern WiFi only adds a few ms of latency over a hardwired connection.

jaysius

Banned
Linus(Canadian Richie Rich) has a great video about building a home network and everything in his new home he moved into, I'm not sure if he ran fiber, but his video gives you a great idea what a kidult with no real budget puts into their home, I'd suggest his LTT youtube channel to check out what he did.

rajkosto

Neo Member
he ran OM cable through the house wall interiors though because that's what he's used to having in the office.
new deployments should always do OS2, OM is being relegated to short cables across datacenters
his newer video shows him dragging an armored OS2 8-fiber cable through the woods between two of his buildings, and achieving 100mbps per pair.

Mahavastu

no matter what your decision is, make sure you can upgrade easily later.
The computer world thinks like 3-5 years ahead, the house will (hopefully) be there for 100+ years.
Whatever you install, it will be outdated in a few years and it would be good if you do not have destroy the walls just to replace the cables.

Haint

I ran 6a everywhere and then conduit to every outlet of consequence back in 2019. Fiber didn't seem to be intended for residential use back then, might be different now.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yes!

Also try run it in some sort of roomy piping so then you can pull some new stuff through if needed in the future. You never know what cable tech might be available in the future.
When we built our new home we had this done as well they ran pvc for every room for all the wiring including the 10 gig fiber to every room of the house off the 10 gig switch even though at present our internet speed is 3 gig

If building a forever home make it super easy to upgrade in the future

OZ9000

Banned
no matter what your decision is, make sure you can upgrade easily later.
The computer world thinks like 3-5 years ahead, the house will (hopefully) be there for 100+ years.
Whatever you install, it will be outdated in a few years and it would be good if you do not have destroy the walls just to replace the cables.
To be honest CAT5E was finalized in 1999 and it still good enough for every single home network (1G) - although now we've got FTTP this will be quickly surpassed. CAT6 was introduced in 2002. It's 20 years old, yet we are such a long way until we see 10G in a house!

I think the average internet speed over here is 80mbit.

I currently only have 360mbit and that feels plenty fast in my household.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
The real advantage isn’t in accessing the internet but having your LAN be faster.

Say for a home server or NAS. Even security cameras running POE on a 10gbit network. That’s where you will find benefits.

Having multiple 4K or 8k cameras on a single 5e isn’t going to cut it. You will have to limit bitrate
I'm getting CAT6 wired throughout my entire house but I've been reading it's a good idea to also run some fiber cabling. Does anyone have any experience with this? What type of fiber should I run?
I would run 6a and yes a few fiber strands from key locations. Just in case.

Cable is cheap. Thinking ahead with putting in extra cable or conduits is a good idea.

Most houses aren’t meant to have new cable run and it’s a pain in the ass to upgrade things in a finished house.

The funny thing for streaming is that some TV’s and boxes limit their Ethernet cables to 100 Mbps (sometimes achieving much less than that :/) when WiFi could get the more than double.
You can use the USB Ethernet adapters and get higher bandwidth.

Last edited:

poppabk

Wired for VR is still better, but when you are talking wireless for VR you are talking about a PC hooked up to a router with cat 6, then using the wireless headset 6 feet from the router.
And if you don't want the occasional issue, people recommend having that router being dedicated for VR.

absolutely. i didn't build my house but still ran Ethernet through it. wifi is fine for my phone/tablet/switch etc but i want wired for my PC.

i did the best i could putting the cable along beams/ceiling to make it look tidy. if i could run it through walls i would.

not sure what version my cables are i'll check.

edit: it's cat6. not sure what that means :messenger_tears_of_joy: i have a 20m from modem to router and 15m between router to PC. could do with less but wanted to play it safe. got a bunch of it wound up but better have more than i need than less. could come in handy.

edit 2: totally misread this post lol. i dont have fiber cables. only what goes into my house to the modem from the box outside for internet. i think that's fiber...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go for Ethernet CAT-8, however WiFi is improving a lot, WiFi 7 should be capable of a theoretical full band bandwidth: 9.6Gbps, common problems such as latency, interferences and coverage will also be addressed and improved.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

I'm getting CAT6 wired throughout my entire house but I've been reading it's a good idea to also run some fiber cabling. Does anyone have any experience with this? What type of fiber should I run?
That depends on your ISP. What you SHOULD DO is to have ducts that conects your office to the outside of your home. That way, the fiber that comes from the ISP can arrive into your office. There, you can assembly your internet gear (that can perfectly rely on cat6) to you entire house. It won't matter if you spread fiber across your home, most home gear (tvs, computer, laptops) cannot connetc directly to fiber. It only needs to arrive to the ONU (the equipment that receives the internet signal and convert it to whatever, mostly RJ45), and every ISP have its own equipment and specifications for conecting the fiber to ONU (could be EPON, GPON and whatever). You should not worry about that, just make way (usind electric ducts) for the ISP fiber to arrive at the point where you want to make the adequate infrastructure (install switches and etc. I imagine that this place should be your office) and let the installer put the main equipment with their fiber there. Then, you conect the ONU to a good and reliable switch and distribute the good old RJ45 trough your home. Don't forget to put acces points at the places where you want good Wi-Fi and, if necessary, put a good router (a basic microtik could do the job) between the ONU and the Switch, it the router provider isn't enough for you management needs.

Last edited:
Wired for VR is still better, but when you are talking wireless for VR you are talking about a PC hooked up to a router with cat 6, then using the wireless headset 6 feet from the router.
And if you don't want the occasional issue, people recommend having that router being dedicated for VR.
So wait, every single VR thread is shit up by people whining about wireless headsets that require their own fucking router????

rajkosto

Neo Member
whats wrong with having a dedicated router for vr headset ? i use a 10$ unwanted isp wifi5 router (that someone sold after not needing it) for this purpose for my quest 2 airlink at 200mbps just fine
this is why oculus was planning on releasing some sort of wifi dongle, so people dont have to get a spare router to put in same room as vr headset.

rajkosto

Neo Member
most home gear (tvs, computer, laptops) cannot connetc directly to fiber. It only needs to arrive to the ONU (the equipment that receives the internet signal and convert it to whatever, mostly RJ45), and every ISP have its own equipment and specifications for conecting the fiber to ONU (could be EPON, GPON and whatever). You should not worry about that, just make way (usind electric ducts) for the ISP fiber to arrive at the point where you want to make the adequate infrastructure
why should the ISP have a monopoly on using fiber cabling ?
the same OM2 fiber cable type they use can be used with datacenter/home networking equipment, except usually telecom equipment and cables use APC connectors (green color) instead of UPC connectors (blue color).
these connector types are physically incompatible and you should never stick a green plug into a blue outlet or vice versa, this results in physical damage (APC is smaller and angled, this will scratch up the flat UPC).
however, if youre running new cable, nothing is stopping you from running LC/UPC duplex cable into the walls, and then using that along with 10$ transciever and 35$ SFP+ network card in a computer, with the other end of the cable connected to another 10$ transciever in a SFP+ port on a switch, to give you 10gbps cheaper than through cat6 (the transceivers/ports on switches for that are 50-70$). of course the switch will also have some standard 1gbps ports for you to connect your tv or console, as they wont need to access a NAS at faster speeds than that (you can even get a 1gbps fiber transciever for the switch end, and a 1gbps fiber to 1gbps rj45 converter on the other, for your tv/console, if you want 0 copper going through your walls).
btw, E/G/X/PON SFP+ MAC modules exist, allowing you to plug in the incoming cable from your ISP into a SFP switch, and thus bypass their router, and keep everything flowing through your SFP+ switches/routers, without going through the ISP supplied router and a 1gbps ethernet cable.

poppabk

So wait, every single VR thread is shit up by people whining about wireless headsets that require their own fucking router????
Well I don't have a dedicated router and it works fine but yeah you need a pretty solid connection. The whining about the wire isn't about the set-up part its just not comfotabke for room scale stuff when you are turning and walking about. It's a non issue for stuff when you are sat down.

I_D

Unless you have ungodly-fast internet, I don't see how fiber inside the house would be useful at the moment.
I ran CAT6a in my house, and it's rated for speeds way past anything reasonable hardware can actually use.

I recommend you just build conduit into the walls, with enough room to spare, so that you can run whatever cables you want in the future. It'll be way cheaper right now, and probably cheaper in the future.

marquimvfs

why should the ISP have a monopoly on using fiber cabling ?
the same OM2 fiber cable type they use can be used with datacenter/home networking equipment, except usually telecom equipment and cables use APC connectors (green color) instead of UPC connectors (blue color).
these connector types are physically incompatible and you should never stick a green plug into a blue outlet or vice versa, this results in physical damage (APC is smaller and angled, this will scratch up the flat UPC).
however, if youre running new cable, nothing is stopping you from running LC/UPC duplex cable into the walls, and then using that along with 10$ transciever and 35$ SFP+ network card in a computer, with the other end of the cable connected to another 10$ transciever in a SFP+ port on a switch, to give you 10gbps cheaper than through cat6 (the transceivers/ports on switches for that are 50-70$). of course the switch will also have some standard 1gbps ports for you to connect your tv or console, as they wont need to access a NAS at faster speeds than that (you can even get a 1gbps fiber transciever for the switch end, and a 1gbps fiber to 1gbps rj45 converter on the other, for your tv/console, if you want 0 copper going through your walls).
btw, E/G/X/PON SFP+ MAC modules exist, allowing you to plug in the incoming cable from your ISP into a SFP switch, and thus bypass their router, and keep everything flowing through your SFP+ switches/routers, without going through the ISP supplied router and a 1gbps ethernet cable.
I don't think that ISP should have monopoly on fiber, I've never said that. I said that it's a hassle of standards converting (sometimes ln both ends of a single connection) that won't bring significant gains in everyday home usage, and will cost significantly more, no matter what math you use. It's pretty ridiculous to have a fiber distribution rack inside a home, when the internet connection arrives at 10Gb (being generous) and every single device will need a converter verter form fiber to RJ45, an will conect to a GigaLan at the best scenario, excluding, of course, some high end computer, that probably will be in the very same room of the equipment and can have specific gear to it, even a 10Gb RJ45 network.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

The funny thing for streaming is that some TV’s and boxes limit their Ethernet cables to 100 Mbps (sometimes achieving much less than that :/) when WiFi could get the more than double.

I don't think any streaming service saturates 100mbps bitrate, not even remotely, and if anything the requirements are going down with new encoding. It's more about avoiding the wild fluxuations in latency and consistency on wifi.

Unless you're streaming your own rips in absurd quality or something. But then the shitty SoC on most smart TVs would probably choke.

Last edited:

rajkosto

Neo Member
I don't think that ISP should have monopoly on fiber, I've never said that. I said that it's a hassle of standards converting (sometimes ln both ends of connection) that won't bring significant gains in everyday use, and will cost significantly more, no matter what math you use.
10gbps fiber costs:
SFP+ network card and 10gbps 1310nm transciever for computer = 45$ +
SFP+ network card and 10gbps 1310nm transciever for NAS = 45$ +
2 SFP+ port and 8 gbps ports switch = 100$ +
2 SFP+ 1310nm transcievers for the switch = 20$ = 210$ for 10gbps for computer and nas, with 8 1gbps ports for other devices

10gbps rj45 costs:
10GBASE-T RJ45 card for computer = 55$ +
10GBASE-T RJ45 card for NAS = 55$ +
2 10GBASE-T RJ45 port and 4 gigabit ports switch = 270$ = 380$ for 10gbps for computer and nas, with 4 1gbps ports for other devices

OS2 duplex cable and cat6 cable cost basically the same, so the OS2 fiber setup is cheaper AND future-proof by replacing the transceivers and switches, while cat6 wont get you much past 10gbps.
cost per 10GBASE-T port is HUGE still, so its not worth doing unless you already have cable in the walls you cant replace with fiber easily.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Personally if I was building a house from scratch I’d rather do it because I know I’d spend the next 10+ years thinking ‘why didn’t I do it?’. But Ethernet is fine for me in my old arse house.

marquimvfs

I don't think that ISP should have monopoly on fiber, I've never said that. I said that it's a hassle of standards converting (sometimes ln both ends of connection) that won't bring significant gains in everyday use, and will cost significantly more, no matter what math you use. Whenever the fiber starts being necessary inside a home connection, all the investments you had to just make it work will no longer be the main standard anymore...

10gbps fiber costs:
SFP+ network card and 10gbps 1310nm transciever for computer = 45$ +
SFP+ network card and 10gbps 1310nm transciever for NAS = 45$ +
2 SFP+ port and 8 gbps ports switch = 100$ +
2 SFP+ 1310nm transcievers for the switch = 20$ = 210$ for 10gbps for computer and nas, with 8 1gbps ports for other devices

10gbps rj45 costs:
10GBASE-T RJ45 card for computer = 55$ +
10GBASE-T RJ45 card for NAS = 55$ +
2 10GBASE-T RJ45 port and 4 gigabit ports switch = 270$ = 380$ for 10gbps for computer and nas, with 4 1gbps ports for other devices

OS2 duplex cable and cat6 cable cost basically the same, so the OS2 fiber setup is cheaper AND future-proof by replacing the transceivers and switches, while cat6 wont get you much past 10gbps.
cost per 10GBASE-T port is HUGE still, so its not worth doing unless you already have cable in the walls you cant replace with fiber easily.
He's not running an office with dozens of computers inside his home, you failed to consider that, at most, most homes have 2 to 3 desktops max, and I'm talking about laptops, gaming consoles, streaming boxes and even IOT devices. All of them ALREADY HAVE it's own network interfaces, and he will not BUY THEM like you're insisting to calculate. On the opposite side, if he went the fiber route, OP will need to buy a bunch of unnecessary converters just to make them work, not to mention that they all will work at a fraction of the fiber speed. I know what's your intention with your answer, but you failed to consider that's a home network after all. No matter how future proof your solution is, it'll be underutilized 90% of the time, meaning it's not a smart decision to invest on such a infrastructure at this time. It's better to invest on quality ducts that will allow him to easily change the cabling in the future, if and only if he's in need of that.

Last edited:

rajkosto

Neo Member
ducts is what i suggested too, but for some reason he says he is unable to run them.
what i also suggested is running both cat6 for the present and os2 for the future (especially since combo wall sockets for those exist), since he cannot run ducts
and then using the os2 only for the 10gbps required links, cat6 for current 1gbps/2.5gbps devices.

TTOOLL

Run conduit.

If you're building your own home, it typically means you're living in it as your forever home.

The same way my parents 35 year old house has phone line and coax run throughout it. Eventually that is no longer used. Running cat 5e/6/8 fiber will only eventually become complete. If you leave yourself an easy way to run new cable from say the basement server area to the gaming bedroom, then you'll always be able to run whatever the best is whenever you need to. Doing anything else isn't "future proofing" it's overspending for something to buy you a little bit more runway.
That's it. Just make sure you have the space to pass whatever will be your needs in the future.

Just never do what Linus did at his new place. What a nightmare.

Last edited:

BreakOut

I don’t see why not, if you’re building the whole place you should probably run anything you think you might use. Considering how the future progresses having every cable type you can built into the foundation probably seems like a safe bet.

marquimvfs

ducts is what i suggested too, but for some reason he says he is unable to run them.
what i also suggested is running both cat6 for the present and os2 for the future (especially since combo wall sockets for those exist), since he cannot run ducts
and then using the os2 only for the 10gbps required links, cat6 for current 1gbps/2.5gbps devices.
Running both is also not cost effective. He will spent extra to underutilise fiber in maybe 2 to 3 devices. Not an smart decision, considering cost effectiveness. I stand to my opinion that fiber is overkill for home networking. It will only increase cost and complexity of his own network, without bringing anything substantial to the equation besides being "future proof".

Last edited:

rajkosto

Neo Member
the cost of CABLE is NOTHING compared to the cost of actual WORK going to put it into the wall/socket, or the cost of changing the cable LATER.
this is why he wanted to future-proof himself now, and an extra OS2 in the wall will let him have 10gbps cheaper now (if he needs it) than 10GBASE-T over copper, as well as future speeds past 10gbps when they become economical for home use. the cat6 in the wall wont be unused then either, in case he needs PoE or to support older devices through the same wall without having a switch on the other end.

OZ9000

Banned
Run conduit.

If you're building your own home, it typically means you're living in it as your forever home.

The same way my parents 35 year old house has phone line and coax run throughout it. Eventually that is no longer used. Running cat 5e/6/8 fiber will only eventually become complete. If you leave yourself an easy way to run new cable from say the basement server area to the gaming bedroom, then you'll always be able to run whatever the best is whenever you need to. Doing anything else isn't "future proofing" it's overspending for something to buy you a little bit more runway.
I wish I ran conduit however much of the electric work is complete and the builders are moving quickly. Furthermore trying to run conduit along brickwork is going to require a lot of work.

So I ended up ordering OS2 cable and will essentially wire it from my network closet to the office.

Edit: I suppose the alternative would be to scrap the idea of OS2 fiber cable. If we ever get 20 or 40G internet I could always ask the engineer to install the modem and router in my office by routing it via the outside walls.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

rajkosto

Neo Member
but then you wont have such speeds anywhere other than there (barring magical wifi).
also if you put 2 duplex of OS2 in your wall now (or even just one duplex, there are bidi transcievers so you can use one fiber for your home network, and one for the ISP line coming in), you wont have to route the ISP cable through the outside walls to your room, you can use one fiber of one duplex for the ISP connection (using a SC-APC to LC-UPC patch cable)

marquimvfs

the cost of CABLE is NOTHING compared to the cost of actual WORK going to put it into the wall/socket, or the cost of changing the cable LATER.
this is why he wanted to future-proof himself now, and an extra OS2 in the wall will let him have 10gbps cheaper now (if he needs it) than 10GBASE-T over copper, as well as future speeds past 10gbps when they become economical for home use. the cat6 in the wall wont be unused then either, in case he needs PoE or to support older devices through the same wall without having a switch on the other end.
I agree he could pass the OS2 and let it just sit there, not utilizing it unless he needs in the future, but not making any double standards network right now. I agree that the cable itself is cheap, if he can, pass it and let it rest until it's really needed, don't invest any extra penny on optic network for now.

Last edited:

rajkosto

Neo Member
btw i speak from personal experience, as i have a NAS upstairs that i wanted 10gbps to and the cat5e in the walls from upstairs to downstairs is bricked in (no conduit), and it was just old/long enough that 10GBASE-T wouldnt work over it (its not specced to work at anything < cat6 mind you), so i HAD to eventually rip the whole thing out of the wall and run proper conduit then re-do the insulation and finish and everything, and at that point i just ran both cat6 (for PoE and 1gbps wifi AP/switch downstairs) and OS2 through the new conduit (for connecting my downstairs PC to the upstairs NAS/ISP via 10gbps), because it was STILL cheaper to get SFP+ switches, fiber transcievers, and SFP+ cards rather than to get 10GBASE-T capable switches and network cards.

marquimvfs

rajkosto rajkosto It's interesting that you had to break your walls to pass conduit trough. I also think that op should reconsider and also pass some, it's the most future proof thing he could do. After all, breaking everything after living in the house is harder, messier and more expensive than doing it now.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
but then you wont have such speeds anywhere other than there (barring magical wifi).
also if you put 2 duplex of OS2 in your wall now (or even just one duplex, there are bidi transcievers so you can use one fiber for your home network, and one for the ISP line coming in), you wont have to route the ISP cable through the outside walls to your room, you can use one fiber of one duplex for the ISP connection (using a SC-APC to LC-UPC patch cable)
I did not know that.

I figured the OS2 cables would just add an extra step requiring more hardware eg new switch and optics.

The ISP can route some cable from the outside and in quite easily to my office.

I was only planning to run the fiber to my office because that's where I would want maximum internet.

Top Bottom