• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In your opinion, is gaming an expensive hobby or a cheap hobby?

Where would you place videogames? Is it an expensive hobby?

• Yes, it's in the "expensive" hobbies bracket

Votes: 104 39.8%
  • No, it's in the "cheap" hobbies bracket

Votes: 157 60.2%

• Total voters
Not expensive if you play on old consoles with physical games (that you were smart enough to buy back then when everything was still cheap...)

Very expensive if you want to play the last games, on whatever platform.

Last edited:

rm082e

It might seem expensive, but go look at how much money people spend on moding/restoring cars, how much gun enthusiasts spend on guns and all the gear, safes, accessories, range memberships, etc., or guitar enthusiasts spend on all their guitars, amps, pedals, etc.

You can build a top-end PC rig for $5k-ish, get a big OLED TV for $3k, and a sound system for $2k. Throw in another thousand for buying games and you've basically maxed out for the next two years. By comparison, a single purchase in cars, guns or guitars can easily run over $10k.

Pimpollo818

Cheap
-I know games will decrease in price, FAST, if not go F2P via Gamepass (gamepass can be had very cheap through deals/promos or in my case for free if you have a family member who has Ultimate and only plays on console)
-I haven't had a console since the Wii-U (I have a 1080 GTX so I'm able to emulate anything I'd want to play that's on consoles, not much admittedly, maybe just Breath of the Wild)
-even when it comes to upgrading, I'm on the market to replace my 1080GTX but streaming/GeForce Now has completely changed that. I was amazed at the quality of it. I gave it a month trial to try Cyberpunk 2077 and I was amazed at how smoothly it ran for me with all the bells and whistles on (it emulates a 4080RTX). I see no reason to go out and buy a new GPU any time soon while GeForce Now is an option. This will buy me time to wait for GPU prices to decrease, now I'm not even thinking about buying one until LATE 2025 or even wait until 2026

Topher

Gold Member
Super expensive compared to other hobbies, you guys are in denial.

It is relative to the hobbies are you comparing it to. Golf. Warhammer 40k. Archer. Guns. All that shit can get expensive.

I mean....if you are comparing it to writing, painting, etc then yeah.

saintjules

Gold Member
If you're an early adopter to hardware and someone who wants to play the latest and greatest day 1 then yes it can be expensive.

But judging how most people complain about games these days, they are the ones who hold out for sales to things. So for them it's a cheap hobby.

I fall in between to where I'm not buying a ton day 1. There are games that are good enough for me to play at some point, but can wait for a price drop on them or find a bargain.

draliko

Quite cheap actually, if you do any kind of sports as a *serious* hobby everything cost way more.. i'm into mtbing/skiing/trail running... everything cost way more compared to gaming (especially on the cost/hour ratio)

buenoblue

At first I was gonna say cheap, but I'm on like my 5th 4k TV in 10 years, my 4th PC, and loads of consoles in that time to. Add on games and subscriptions and it adds up. Plus I've been gaming 40 years so I'm in for tens of thousands at this point and I haven't spent anywhere near that on other hobbies.

Fbh

Like many other hobbies it's highly variable.
If you want the latest and most powerful hardware, hooked up to high end display/audio equipment, and to play all the new releases as soon as they come out then, yeah, it can be quite expensive. But you can also focus on playing older games on older hardware and it can be quite cheap.
You can play $70 games on your $3000 PC hooked up to your $1500 OLED TV + headset or you can buy a used Ps4 for like $150 and play F2P games on it.

Even if you want to engage with more contemporary games you can do it in a relatively affordable way.
Say you buy a $499 Ps5/SX you'll use for at least 5 years, that's around $8 a month for the hardware. If you are like me and you spend between $40 to $60 on games every other month (by waiting a bit and taking advantage of sales instead of buying everything day 1) you are looking at around $33 a month between the cost of the hardware and the software which is quite affordable, specially considering how expensive everything else has gotten in the last few years.

Lambogenie

Modern gaming, and staying in trend is expensive. New releases and tech. Outside of tech, buying games on release is kinda dumb now when they always go on sale.

But budget gaming is absolutely possible with cheap, used consoles and regular sales on even <1year old games.

Oh, but then it's expensive again because a hundred games over the course of steam sales is still suddenly a grand... that you probably didn't even play haha...

Last edited:

StereoVsn

There should be a middle option of some sort. Gaming can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.

I can build a decent Emu box that can emulate up to Xbox 360 / PS3 level (including Wii and some WiiU) for under $500 and download ROMs.

I can also get a PS2, Saturn, Dreamcast on the cheap and fairly easy mod then to play ROMs off a thrift store CRT which will still deliver awesome gaming experience. Or get Xbone/PS4/X360 and buy cheap games for them.

I can also spend $10K on a PC and another $10-20K on a virtual cockpit for racing and flight games.

Imtjnotu

what kit are you rocking? how much have you spent?
Current set up

A7Riv+A7iv

35mm sony gm
Sigma 85mm dg
Tamron 28-75 g2
Sony 70-200 gm first gen

I have my spare A7iii just sitting here as a paper weight tho. Screen took a crap but everything works fine just have to shoot with the evf.

Console gamers with a TV that cost more than a PC…
Meme Shock GIF by Evan Klar
You don't need a screen to play on a computer? Oh damn my life has been a lie! 👀

A.Romero

It's a wide range.

The way I like to experience it turns out to be expensive (OLED TV, Home Theater, PC, Consoles, games, etc). However, there have been times in my life when I've had to make it very cheap (15 inch TV, old second hand games twice a year, etc).

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
compare to what thou? in general, it's not that expensive. there are a lot of tiers for gaming and you can definitely do it for cheap. hell, unless you're going full "man cave" type setup, it really won't be that expensive.

even with PC gaming, if you're reasonable, you'll probably get a new PC or upgrade every 2 to 3 years for $2000 to $3000 or so. assuming you get maybe 20 games a year at $70 each, that's $1400 a year. so that's less than $2500 a year. if you're on console, that's going to be even less.

Filben

It scales pretty well. Want to play few indie games and you only need a low to mid range PC. Many indies also release on console.

You can have hundreds of hours if not thousands of fun.

There are many hobbies that are way more expensive (downhill mtb, race bike, sailing, motorsports, horse back riding) and of course there are cheaper ones (chess, calisthenics, football, basketball).

Gaming can get pretty expensive if you buy a 500EUR keyboard, a 1500EUR GPU and a OLED monitor and three games per months. But you don't have to in order to enjoy.

Crayon

Not the cheapest but it's not that expensive either. I've never been priced out of it and I've been on hard times. Even now, I've got everything I want and I'm looking at <$3k of hardware. Games are cheaper than ever, too. As long as your taste ranges wider than $70 flavor of the week. That can get spendy.

Sooner

Everyone crying the most powerful option for consoles is $700, while some if us are spending more than that for extra leg room for an airplane flight is hilarious.

I guess most gamers are just not financially well off. It's an extremely cheap hobby compared to just about everything else.

MikeM

Gold Member
Its whatever you want it to be. Buy a used PS4 and a cheap TV and its all you need.

Or you can be like me a splooge on a 65” LG C1, 5.1 home theatre system, and a 7900xt PC with both a Dualsense Edge and an Xbox Series controller.

marjo

It's a lot more expensive than hiking, bike riding, kayaking, or disc golf.
It's a lot cheaper than regular golf, skiing, sailing, or collecting classic cars.

I wouldn't say it's too much different than most hobbies that low or middle income people engage in where the cost is usually heavily dependent on their level of self-control.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It is relative to the hobbies are you comparing it to. Golf. Warhammer 40k. Archer. Guns. All that shit can get expensive.

I mean....if you are comparing it to writing, painting, etc then yeah.

Maybe but you buy a new set of golf clubs or a new camera lens about as or less often as you buy a new $1600 tv. 🤷‍♂️

Fess

Depends what you compare it to, I have individual guitars that cost more than all this generation of consoles combined.

But I still think it’s an expansive hobby.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The one time hit on buying a new console hurts, but games and sub plans can be cheap.

It only really adds up when you factor in:

- Buying a console at peak price, with no trade back
- Buy tons of games
- Buy tons of games at regular price
- Are an MTX junkie buying up skins and DLC
- Do sub plans on top of it at regular prices
- Dont do home sharing with a family member or friend

For me, it's negligble. I trade in my old console, dont buy lots of games, almost always buy them on deal, do sub plans at insane promo prices (by the time it runs out, I'd had 6 years of GP Ultimate for just an extra $25 over regular Gold), I do home sharing with a buddy so we split the costs of games and sub plan 50/50. Sometimes I buy a game covering it, sometimes he buys one next time. And the last MTX/DLC I bought was a map pack for MW3 (2011 game).

If you're a lone wolf gamer who buys lots of stuff at high prices and never do home sharing, you must be spending $1000s per year.

Last edited:

draliko

It's a lot more expensive than hiking, bike riding, kayaking, or disc golf.
It's a lot cheaper than regular golf, skiing, sailing, or collecting classic cars.
on the bike riding you're way off my friend, i've spent more money on mtb and road bikes than gaming all my past 30 years, let's not count bike trips to bikeparks or cool locations. No sports hobby nothing is cheaper than gaming, if it's a regular hobby, not even running if you like doing races. Running is cheaper only if you run across your block

Last edited:
I didn't vote, i think it's more then cheap or expensive... it can be both, day one games and upcoming consoles price is expensive to me, so i wait and my sweet spot is about $30, used to be $20 last gen per game. Also using services like Game Pass can give you some not so expensive way of playing.
So i would say it's expensive yet there's ways to trim it down.

FrankWza

It's all relative. We all have those CoD players on our friends list that play 2 hours every single day for a year. $70 went a long way to entertaining them compared to paying $25 to see a 2 hour movie

peek

LOL 40% think its expensive category?? Bro. Nah, not even close. Wana talk expensive? I used to be into cars, and my god now THAT was an expensive hobby. Was fun but a giant waste of money.

Kings Field

As a firearms collector, gaming is cheap. I’m the past twenty years I have $250,000ish spent on firearms and ammo. Most of the stuff sits in safes and will never be used. That’s not counting ammo that I used over the years, magazines, hearing protection, cases, or the safes themselves.

Gaming on the other hand is maybe a $500 hobby a year except for when new hardware comes out and that lasts me a whole generation unless there is a mid gen refresh.

Even my job costs as much or more a year between buying a new stethoscope, scrubs, lab jackets, shoes, etc etc.

nemiroff

Gold Member
There are more expensive hobbies

Not really per se, no. Because it's as expensive as you want it to be. That's the point, especially your main hobby; If you got the money, that's where it's generally going.

I bought rudder pedals for my flight sim setup last month:

$400

Rudder pedals.

If you really like this hobby and you got the money there's nothing to stop you from buying a $100 000 TV to play your games on.

I'm sure even if you was collecting dirt you could find a way to make it expensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom