• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones 5 for July 19th, 2019 with Spielberg and Harrison Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill0527

What's up with the age-ism in this thread?

Did anyone see him in this little movie he was just in called The Force Awakens? He was excellent and looked more dialed in than I've seen him in years.

So what if the guy has to use a stunt double now? Most actors in their 20s use stunt doubles. Very few do their own stunts.

The issue with this film is not Harrison's age. The issue will be not letting George Lucas get into Steven Spielbergs ear and ruining the whole damn movie.

Kazuhira

I think it's time to pass the torch tbh,didn't he get married in the last movie? Settle down indy,that boulder will kill you this time.

jelly

I hope Spielberg is using a more natural look for this, his films sometimes look weird, well shot but fake and pristine.

Don't bring back Marion in anything but a background, farewell on your adventure moment.

I hope Spielberg is using a more natural look for this, his films sometimes look weird, well shot but fake and pristine.

Don't bring back Marion in anything but a background, farewell on your adventure moment.

Yeah the look of Crystal Skulls bothered me more than anything about else about the movie. Everything had a green tint and it felt so claustrophobic compared to Raiders or Crusade.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, this is nice. I liked the last movie, so I'm excited for this. 3 years though, that's a long wait...

So what if the guy has to use a stunt double now? Most actors in their 20s use stunt doubles. Very few do their own stunts.

He shouldn't use a stunt double because the character shouldn't be doing stunts. As a man approaching his eighties, Indy should be past all this by now; globetrotting adventures are a young man's game. Watching an old grey man quipping it up and then turning his back to the camera so the obviously younger and sprier stuntman could take over whenever an action scene broke out was dumb in the fourth movie, and can only be dumber now that he's even older.

I mean, if they go the Force Awakens route and he takes a back seat to a younger protege, fine, but they have to actually commit this time. Indy 4 was supposed to be the same thing, but they couldn't resist having Indy still be the big save-the-day action hero anyway.

Red Devil

So it's a sequel and not a "reboot" starring Chris Pratt as it was rumoured last year, well not sure what could turn worse.

We are going to have Indy movies with him in a wheelchair before long.

Well, he could reprise the role of the 93 years old Indy from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, see this other post:

Old_Indiana_Jones_by_George_Hall.jpg

That show was underrated.

Red Devil

It's going to be fate of Atlantis.
And you'll be hyped as fuck.

Since the turn of the century I've reconcilled with the fact that's never going to happen sadly.

Dolph Lundgren as Klaus Kerner?

Weren't there aliens at the end of Atlantis? Might not be a good idea to bring that to the big screen, after KotCS.

Nope, no aliens at all.

Björn Heimdall thought Atlantis was a colony formed by "beings not of this Earth" which was quickly dismissed by Indy and Sophia, and wasn't true at all, but that as far as aliens being mentioned goes.

Chriss Pratt is taking the hat from Ford at the end of 5 isn't he? I thought he has been ear marked as the new Indiana Jones for awhile now.

It will be like a passing of the torch type movie .

Russ T

Banned
Hell yeah

Fuck no. Certainly better than 3 and obviously 4 tho

Hehe.

I genuinely do prefer Temple of Doom to the rest, but I totally admit it's probably nostalgia more than anything else. I watched that one more than the other two as a kid. Way more. The scene where he's getting his heart pulled out will never, ever leave my mind. I also loved Short Round! That's right! I did!

That said it's probably the most culturally offensive of the movies, so, uh, there's that, too.

MGS1 is awesome
MGS2 is awesome
MGS3 is awesome
MGS4 is awesome (I know some will shoot this down but reviews and general consensus say otherwise)
MGS5 is shit

There is no MGS law. lol

Reviews of 5 say otherwise too. It's incomplete and has a barren open world but it's so much better than garbage mgs4. That game actually made me sad and embarrassed about how much I used to love the series lol

5 had great gameplay going for it. And a few cool cutscenes.

I will say 4 had a great soundtrack tho that's the case for the whole series tbh

Russ T

Banned
MGS1 is awesome
MGS2 is awesome
MGS3 is awesome
MGS4 is awesome (I know some will shoot this down but reviews and general consensus say otherwise)
MGS5 is shit

There is no MGS law. lol

I legit like every single one of them and it's hard for me to pick a favorite (I often lean toward 2, as I love what that game did to the expectations, it was great). Except V is definitely the worst. Great gameplay, but...

MGSV has the worst story. Every game prior to V did an excellent job of clearly explaining things and filling gaps from previous games (often gaps you didn't know existed, so basically retcons, but hey it worked).

V then shat all over that pattern with a literally unfinished story. Also a distinct lack of That MGS Goofiness. I mean, it existed in the gameplay, yeah, and some of the tapes, but basically none of the cutscenes embraced the cheese like previous games. It was all so self-serious. Huge tone-shift.

Also just gonna take a moment to emphasize that I'm with you on 4. It's basically two old men being angry at each other for the entire duration. I goddamn love it so much. Plus, that final fight? Oh man, so good.

Wait what thread is this again?

quesalupa

Dude kept getting hurt on the set of Star Wars and he didn't even do that much in the movie. I hope Ford doesn't kill himself filming this.

Reviews of 5 say otherwise too. It's incomplete and has a barren open world but it's so much better than garbage mgs4. That game actually made me sad and embarrassed about how much I used to love the series lol

MGS4 wasn't soulless and actually had a narrative so for me yeah it's definitely way fucking better than 5 even with all its problems. 4's biggest problem was being bloated cutscene wise (like more so than usual) and having some lame story decisions but again I'll take that over 5 just being a slog of absolute nothingness.

but hey different perspectives and don't wanna get off topic :p

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
Anyone care the speculate about the Macguffin? Psychically i think that the villians might be a chinese drilling corporation.

Everything bad about Crystal Skull (and the entire series in general) was Lucas' fault.

Remember that scene in 4 where Indiana Jones survived a nuclear blast in a fridge? Of course you do. It was awful. And, guess what? It was also Lucas' fault. He twisted Spielberg's arm behind his back and made him film it.

Swinging monkey scene? Lucas. He personally directed those scenes and spliced them into the final cut without anyone knowing until it was in theaters.

He also told Spielberg that Marion should be a CG character but, thankfully, Spielberg managed to sneak Karen Allen on set and film her scenes while Lucas was sleeping!

Everything bad about Crystal Skull (and the entire series in general) was Lucas' fault.

While I know your post is mostly in jest (I laughed) he wasn't responsible for everything that was bad. I want to clarify, a few pages back or so I said multiple times that Lucas made Spielberg shoot it digitally but it was shot on film as a friend pointed out to me.

Spielberg was the director of the movie, after all, but Lucas definitely impacted production. I like George Lucas a lot, have a ton of respect for the guy and even enjoyed Episodes I-III (though my appreciation for Episode I has dwindled a lot lately) but I do think that his influence on Crystal Skull production was mostly detrimental to the quality of the movie. The actual direction was fine as usual from Spielberg, but some of the ideas, some of the scripting, use of CGI, and so on are shared flaws between Spielberg, Lucas and David Koepp.

I think it's a very fun adventure movie and do not go along with the hate whatsoever, same with the prequels, but I do long for something closer to Raiders of the Lost Ark than Crystal Skull. I think especially with Ford up there in age as well as Spielberg himself, in addition to the probability that Kennedy/Lucasfilm/Disney will treat it with the respect that they've already shown to be giving to Star Wars, that we can expect something of better quality than Crystal Skull. I don't think Spielberg or Ford will want this next one to have similar problems as that or have that weird CGI sheen that permeated a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom