• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Metacritic Prediction - 88

IGN - 9.2 (the reviewer has been going on about how good it is for weeks)
GT - 8.6
Polygon - 2.0 (I mean 7.5)
GS - 8
GI - 8.5
EG - 9
PSOM - 9

1 million preorders is pretty damn good for Infamous

Can we get the OP updated (by a mod if necessary) once the digital download is available on the US (and other) Playstation Stores? It will save every second post from becoming "is it up yet?"

rdrr gnr

My guess is 83 - 85.

Think most reviewers will have to concede that the graphics and gameplay are good, but they will ultimately feel that there's just not enough to do when you compare the game to others like GTA V and Assassin's Creed IV.
I think I agree with your range. But to note, I absolutely hate the unqualified emphasis on stuff to do, yeah, there is plenty of extra content in ACIV but it's boring, monotonous, repetitive garbage. I don't know why people are so accepting of substandard side missions just because they happen to be side missions -- the disparity between those and main story quests should be minimal even if that means fewer side missions. Playing some of these open-world titles sometimes feels like doing chores.

Said it before, I'll say it again - 84, nestled right inbetween the other two games. And then we'll all scratch our heads and our minds will boggle as to how the first inFamous is still the top-rated game in the series.

Call me pessimistic but I don't think reviews are going to give games that high of a score if it sticks to "last-gen-mechanics-next-gen-graphics" development. This being supported by many of the reveals/interviews/impressions. Same thing happened to KZ: Shadowfall: Good Graphics, Bigger Levels, More set-pieces -- same game, bad to worse story. No true evolution of the franchise.

*Note: Before people rag about how you don't have "reinvent" the wheel excuse. It still does affect the way expectations and scores to be required of.

7.5 from IGN. 8 being the extreme end.
7.0 - 7.5 from Gamespot.
8 or so from Gametrailers.
3-4/5 from Rev3Games.
6/10 from Ar***r Gi**
3/5 from Escapist.
8 - 9/10's from up-and-about bloggers who want to look good.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I've gotta say, this is the last game I'm hyping up with GAF. It's made the wait absolutely unbearable.

Suzzopher

My predictions:
Metacritic score: 81

Edge - 7
Eurogamer - 7
IGN - 9.0
Usagmer - 3/5
Polygon - 6.5
CVG - 6
OPM - 8
GI - 9
Gamespot - 7.7
Giantbomb - 3/5

newsguy

If it weren't for Titanfall and South Park occupying my time, I would be rabidly anticipating this game. I'm hyped, but at least I have stuff to play to pass the time. After tomorrow I don't think I'll be playing anything but Infamous though.

Into

My prediction for Titanfall was 85 Metacritic score: its at 86, so i almost got it

Prediction for Second Son is 82 Metacritic score.

Not really basing it off anything tangible, havent played the game obviously, 82 is around main series ballpark. Reason i put it slightly lower than original and 2 is that launch games and games around launch, generally tend to have clear flaws, as they are often pushed harder to come out in regards to the schedule. One of the reasons Titanfall is not packed with content which really dragged that game down

Thats it for my prediction, back to your regular scheduled programming!

Dahaka

I decided not to pick up the retail version for 64,99€ and bought it from the US PSN. Can I expect to start the download tomorrow morning around 7am? (GMT+1)

TheMan

I'm not gonna lie...if reviews are middling I will strongly consider canceling my preorder. Fancy graphics are great, but I haven't been super impressed with the actual gameplay we've seen so far.

I decided not to pick up the retail version for 64,99€ and bought it from the US PSN. Can I expect to start the download tomorrow morning around 7am? (GMT+1)

I've done the same and expecting the download around 6-7am. Cannot wait for this to launch, loving the digital age and hoping I get some decent speeds for this, Tomb Raider was purchased and downloaded in about 35 minutes.

Bundy

Banned
I'm not gonna lie...if reviews are middling I will strongly consider canceling my preorder. Fancy graphics are great, but I haven't been super impressed with the actual gameplay we've seen so far.
If you like sandbox games / inFAMOUS 1 + 2 --> You're gonna like it :)

pelican

Will be playing tonight...Shopto popped my copy in the post yesterday along with MGS.

A slow day in the office waiting to get home. Buggering off at 4pm mind you;p

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
DS teases with this and I think the blurred text reads:
The Next Gen Has Finally Arrived.

BjIXQ7iIUAA_qDF.jpg:large

Dahaka

I've done the same and expecting the download around 6-7am. Cannot wait for this to launch, loving the digital age and hoping I get some decent speeds for this, Tomb Raider was purchased and downloaded in about 35 minutes.

Starting the download in the morning (only got 18mbit connection), going to work, getting back home, doing a bit shopping (drinks, fruits, 0-alc beer, will order food ), phoning my girlfriend like "ah, well, I'm so tired tonight, work has been hard, stressful, will sleep very early methinks imo tbh" and then shortly after the call I'll turn on the TV and HT and be UNREACHABLE, ISOLATED AND CUT-OFF FROM THE REST OF THE WORLD. Walls shall be shaken, the screen shall be splintered, a new night, a red night, ere the sun rises!

Call me pessimistic but I don't think reviews are going to give games that high of a score if it sticks to "last-gen-mechanics-next-gen-graphics" development. This being supported by many of the reveals/interviews/impressions. Same thing happened to KZ: Shadowfall: Good Graphics, Bigger Levels, More set-pieces -- same game, bad to worse story. No true evolution of the franchise.

*Note: Before people rag about how you don't have "reinvent" the wheel excuse. It still does affect the way expectations and scores to be required of.

7.5 from IGN. 8 being the extreme end.
7.0 - 7.5 from Gamespot.
8 or so from Gametrailers.
3-4/5 from Rev3Games.
6/10 from Ar***r Gi**
3/5 from Escapist.
8 - 9/10's from up-and-about bloggers who want to look good.

I think you'll be surprised.

Dawg

I am really surprised how quickly this thread changed from a hype thread into a thread where everyone is worried about review scores and people thinking about cancelling their pre-order.

:p

Krisprolls

Banned
One big website mark is known, it's 9.5. And this tweet on this page says "Next gen has finally arrived", so reviews will probably be great.

Is this going to be like the Titanfall review thread where people will discount any site that gives a positive review and is carrying adverts for the game?

After completing the game on 100% Good Karma, my Meta predictions went down from 85-90 range to 80-85.

Weaker narrative albeit good in-between skit dialogues + story took a nose dive near the end, typical Hollywood cliché-ic, predictable.

Started Evil Karma path, let's see if it's any better.

Detailed impressions:

+ Amazing detailed visuals with highly impressive, jaw-dropping, lighting effects.
+ Extremely impressive facial mo-cap that the characters look and deliver emotions more like a human being.
+ Awesome soundtrack that fits right in the world of inFamous.
+ Gameplay is truly next-gen, super smooth, haven't even felt one hiccup in the open world of Seattle.
+ Dialogues in-between skits during cutscenes and out of them are well written and executed and funny.
+ Great implementation of DS4's Touchpad and innovative and creative use of motion controls.
+ Amazingly superb stencil art.
+ Whatever AA Sucker Punch used NEEDS to be used by everyone! I mean AA was completely superb!

- Story started off great but towards the end felt a bit of Hollywood cliche type (this is only for Good Karma side, might be more better on the Evil Karma side)
- Facial mo-cap was so well done that sometimes it felt pretty overdone.
- In some of the scenes, the characters looked like they were super imposed on to the background.

pronk420

Dispactched this morning at 5am, I live 30 minutes drive from the amazon warehoise..

holding out hope that based royal fail deliver unto me my famous 2 and ground zeroes this morn

Top Bottom