• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

big_z

Score predictions:

IGN: 8.8/10
Gametrailers: 8.4/10
Gamespot: 6.5/10
Polygon: 6/10
Giantbomb: 3/5
Edge: 5/10
Famitsu: 10/09/09/10

Krisprolls

Banned
After completing the game on 100% Good Karma, my Meta predictions went down from 85-90 range to 80-85.

Weaker narrative albeit good in-between skit dialogues + story took a nose dive near the end, typical Hollywood cliché-ic, predictable.

Started Evil Karma path, let's see if it's any better.

Detailed impressions:

+ Amazing detailed visuals with highly impressive, jaw-dropping, lighting effects.
+ Extremely impressive facial mo-cap that the characters look and deliver emotions more like a human being.
+ Awesome soundtrack that fits right in the world of inFamous.
+ Gameplay is truly next-gen, super smooth, haven't even felt one hiccup in the open world of Seattle.
+ Dialogues in-between skits during cutscenes and out of them are well written and executed and funny.
+ Great implementation of DS4's Touchpad and innovative and creative use of motion controls.
+ Amazingly superb stencil art.
+ Whatever AA Sucker Punch used NEEDS to be used by everyone! I mean AA was completely superb!

- Story started off great but towards the end felt a bit of Hollywood cliche type (this is only for Good Karma side, might be more better on the Evil Karma side)
- Facial mo-cap was so well done that sometimes it felt pretty overdone.
- In some of the scenes, the characters looked like they were super imposed on to the background.

Your review doesn't read like a 80 according to gaming "journalism" standards.

If all you have against this action game is its story and facial mocap, it seems pretty good...

harkens back to,
8773_7468.jpeg

skybald

So what time should I look at being able to download my digital PSN preorder tonight? Will it be right at midnight EST or whenever the store updates?

AttamisZero

Neo Member
After Halo 4, reviewers went right out the window for me. I try to find as much spoiler free gameplay, Interviews/articles etc.. Take notes, and then decided if it's worth my money or not.

I just got to play it for half an hour. A friend of mine got his copy today.
Man... I can't say much about the story or pacing or anything, but the gameplay just feels perfect. Thats not only a small improvement over previous Infamous games. Thats actually much better.
And it looks absolutely ridiculous. The image quality is by far the best we've seen on NextGen consoles. Everything looks so crisp and evrything is shiny and sharp and beautiful. The city... grass grows out of the sidewalk... leaves everywhere... the lighting!

I'm going to pick this up right after work tomorrow.

Pop

Score predictions:

IGN: 8.8/10
Gametrailers: 8.4/10
Gamespot: 6.5/10
Polygon: 6/10
Giantbomb: 3/5
Edge: 5/10
Famitsu: 10/09/09/10

Not that I care about reviewer scores. But why are some of you expecting the worst. 5's and 6's c'mon man. We've had people here, members of GAF praising it and yet still some see it failing hard. Not that I take these scores serious but a 7 or below would cause GAF to mass riot.

Your review doesn't read like a 80 according to gaming "journalism" standards.

If all you have against this action game is its story and facial mocap, it seems pretty good...

Well I just took into account the story incase reviewers use it as well. Facial mo-cap is awesome, like so awesome that it sometimes felt pretty overdone and being forced...

If reviewers do look past the weak narrative than this game will chart higher than 85.

Dinjooh

Well I just took into account the story incase reviewers use it as well. Facial mo-cap is awesome, like so awesome that it sometimes felt pretty overdone and being forced...

If reviewers do look past the weak narrative than this game will chart higher than 85.

Haven't played this one, but when I think about inFAMOUS 1 & 2, the story is definitely not one of the points I focus on. Gameplay and graphics is pretty much what I remember from them.

Haven't played this one, but when I think about inFAMOUS 1 & 2, the story is definitely not one of the points I focus on. Gameplay and graphics is pretty much what I remember from them.

inFamous 1's story was also pretty good as well as the gameplay, I mean the twists and everything, I didn't see them coming

The choices were pretty rad!

Dinjooh

inFamous 1's story was also pretty good as well as the gameplay, I mean the twists and everything, I didn't see them coming

The choices were pretty rad!

I played the game a second time in ... 2010 I believe - I honestly can't remember much from the story at all. I saved some doctors at some point, or something. Mjeh.

Vitor711

Brad loves Infamous, right? If he reviews, I predict higher than a 3.

But Jeff mentioned on the BombCast that he was playing through it. I think he's reviewing it not Brad which, while I agree with the sentiment that they don't want to just have people who are predisposed to liking certain games always being the ones to review them, means that we're probably not looking at a 5/5 here judging by comments coming out of this thread.

big_z

Brad loves Infamous, right? If he reviews, I predict higher than a 3.

I don't think he loves it but he found the previous two enjoyable enough that hes interested in this one. the rest of the giantbomb guys don't seem to care outside of alex and Patrick who are curious.

that's the impression I get on various podcasts. there are some people interested in this game and a bunch that aren't really into the series.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I don't think he loves it but he found the previous two enjoyable enough that hes interested in this one. the rest of the giantbomb guys don't seem to care outside of alex and Patrick who are curious.

that's the impression I get on various podcasts. there are some people interested in this game and a bunch that aren't really into the series.

I don't think "I don't care about this game so I'm not going to even try judging it objectively" is good journalism :|

Alright, so if I buy the Euro disk version, would I be able to download any future DLC from my American account to use on it?

How have other PS4 games handled this thus far?

I thought I read somewhere in this thread last night that it should be up around 3 a.m. EST. It won't preload either from what I recall.

Yes, this is true. He meant 12am PDT, 3am EDT.

Alright, so if I buy the Euro disk version, would I be able to download any future DLC from my American account to use on it?

DLC DRM works on PS4 the same as on PS3. It does not support cross region DLC. So your Euro disk only supports Euro DLC.

Yaster

Cant talk for EU/US compatibility of games. But I do know that discs for Killzone and CoD Ghosts bought in the UK won't run Russian or Polish DLC, but will work with UK/French/German/Italian and Spanish DLC.

So it looks like regional locking for DLC is still a thing.

ron_bato

Sony region locks DLCs for their games. So if you buy a region 2 disc, you need to buy it from your EU account.

If you want to buy DLC from your US account, you have to buy a Region 1 copy of the game.

keuja

After completing the game on 100% Good Karma, my Meta predictions went down from 85-90 range to 80-85.

Weaker narrative albeit good in-between skit dialogues + story took a nose dive near the end, typical Hollywood cliché-ic, predictable.

Started Evil Karma path, let's see if it's any better.

Detailed impressions:

+ Amazing detailed visuals with highly impressive, jaw-dropping, lighting effects.
+ Extremely impressive facial mo-cap that the characters look and deliver emotions more like a human being.
+ Awesome soundtrack that fits right in the world of inFamous.
+ Gameplay is truly next-gen, super smooth, haven't even felt one hiccup in the open world of Seattle.
+ Dialogues in-between skits during cutscenes and out of them are well written and executed and funny.
+ Great implementation of DS4's Touchpad and innovative and creative use of motion controls.
+ Amazingly superb stencil art.
+ Whatever AA Sucker Punch used NEEDS to be used by everyone! I mean AA was completely superb!

- Story started off great but towards the end felt a bit of Hollywood cliche type (this is only for Good Karma side, might be more better on the Evil Karma side)
- In some of the scenes, the characters looked like they were super imposed on to the background.

Thanks for the review. It reads like a 9.

Replicant

If you buy Euro disk, you must buy Euro DLC. But you can use it on any country's account after download as long as you set your PS4 as the primary PS4 for that account.

Top Bottom