• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Well that is exactly what I feared, run out of energy in Second son, you're essentially useless like in inFamous 2, which breaks up fights and you have to run away to drain powers to fight again. Big disappointment.

Well that is exactly what I feared, run out of energy in Second son, you're essentially useless like in inFamous 2, which breaks up fights and you have to run away to drain powers to fight again. Big disappointment.
If you're constantly running out of energy, you're playing wrong. There should be a punishment for playing poorly.

The only thing you can't do is shoot, at least with smoke. Everything else seems to be useable. If you're shooting so much that you're running out constantly then you're not getting in close enough to use your other abilities.

Hedrush

and it took me around 30 hours to get the platinum (which included beating it again on evil on expert mode).

I didn't notice you could change the difficulty until I was around an hour or so into the game. Hope this doesn't mess up the trophy. It's pretty stupid not letting you select the difficulty before the game begins.

Anyway, the game is awesome. Had so much fun in that short hour of playtime I had, really looking forward to getting back into it tonight.

Pimpwerx

Sidebar, but I waited until noon today to start playing, because I was super close to a platinum in killzone. That was a tough hour or so.

I only just got by the demo area. I did another mission that added abilities, but that's it. Did my first picture share because this game looks so good. Wow! I'm really impressed.

I like the traversal so far. Camera works well too. Assuming isn't bad, but not great. I'll get used to it eventually. This is my first Infamous game, so do the missions always flow in and out of the gameplay? I feel like I've died a few times because I didn't notice that I had a mission objective, and I was too busy rolling around.

Anyway, I paused while I came to ihop for some food, then I'm probably playing this the rest of the night. I'm going all bad right now. Feels pretty good. PEACE.

I had o intention of playing on Expert but the article on Gamespot has me reconsidering.

Should I just save it for my second playthrough or do you guys recommend Expert first.

Raven77

1. Delsin is an awesome character that you care about. He's way better than Cole.

2. There are only few of those in this game. But they are really well done.

3. The enemies are still very accurate.

4. Seattle is definitely not ugly or boring. It's dense and full of atmosphere and I really enjoyed that.

5. The enemy variety isn't great in this game, but they are fun to fight.

It took me 14 hours to beat the game on good. It took 19 hours to 100% it.

and it took me around 30 hours to get the platinum (which included beating it again on evil on expert mode).

Thank you very much, this is awesome to hear, stoked to go out and get my copy after work.

If you're constantly running out of energy, you're playing wrong. There should be a punishment for playing poorly.

I disagree, perhaps power sources should regenerate after a short period of time. I had big problems trying to clear out city centre because I had to run away, very far to get more.

Yes, I broke ammo crates etc.

I suck at aiming and said so but I shouldn't be punished above and beyond longer fire fights or more deaths. That being said, I can see it getting better when I get better. As it stands, in the early game this is a problem.

Although
when I upgrade the powers it looks like it'll be less of a problem.

Still makes combat less fun than inFamous 1 so far.
The only thing you can't do is shoot, at least with smoke. Everything else seems to be useable. If you're shooting so much that you're running out constantly then you're not getting in close enough to use your other abilities.
Shooting is the only offense I have right now at the beginning of the game, and I prefer not to get close with the machine gun on me.

bigmf

Picked it up at lunch. Four more hours of work, dinner with the wife, sexy time?, then I should be able to play for a while before I collapse of exhaustion.

I guess I can enter the pre-order DLC code from work.

PSYGN

Does anyone have before & after patch comparison of population density? I think that was listed in their changelog.

madp0k

Well everything is downloaded and updated,son is ready for bed,wife is putting on the war paint for a night on the town.

Give me half an hour GAF and then I'm going in! Tonight I'm going to be inFamous.

BashNasty

Did you change the Sound options?

I did, set it to home theater, checked all my channels, all is good. Most things like voices sound fine, I just fine some of the audio to lack punch. Who knows, maybe it's supposed to be that way. I'll try the game with headphones to see it's any better.

Still love the game, can't wait to get off work and back to playing.

532237_10203531105027805_731642888_n.jpg

I have been playing it for a while, and as far as i am concerned, this is the best inFamous game so far.

I have only gotten the Neon powers but the game so far has been a blast. I even cleared a district 100% before progressing further with the story, as i just love the exploration so much. The difficulty isn't too hard and the powers are pretty fun to use.

I disagree, perhaps power sources should regenerate after a short period of time. I had big problems trying to clear out city centre because I had to run away, very far to get more.

Yes, I broke ammo crates etc.

I suck at aiming and said so but I shouldn't be punished above and beyond longer fire fights or more deaths. That being said, I can see it getting better when I get better. As it stands, in the early game this is a problem.

Although
when I upgrade the powers it looks like it'll be less of a problem.

Then you must be wasting a TON of smoke because I have tons of sources still available after every fight, make sure to get the smoke stacks on roofs, blow up cars, blow up ammo crates, everything you can to get more smoke. Also the melee attack is very good so use that too instead of just spamming the shoot button.

I played for about 2 hours and my god this game is every bit as good as you guys lead me to believe. Starts off a little clunky until
you upgrade some powers and get some basic abilities
however, it is simply sublime after you do.

Also, looking at the thread did all the "limited editions" come with a foil cover? I really like that step up over regular paper and looks really slick.

kyser73

I haz a Delsin beanie.

Just need to get the family off to bed then it's me, Delsin & Snake til the early hours (MGSGZ also arrived today :))

I did, set it to home theater, checked all my channels, all is good. Most things like voices sound fine, I just fine some of the audio to lack punch. Who knows, maybe it's supposed to be that way. I'll try the game with headphones to see it's any better.

Still love the game, can't wait to get off work and back to playing.

Audio has never been a strong suit of the Infamous games. The first two games barely had any ambient audio at all, if I remember right.

DNAbro

My copy delivered! But I'm in class and I have to wait till I get an email from my dorm to pick it up.

Also not paying attention

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I just bought my friend this game + 3 months of PS + because he got fired from his job recently, and was bummed he couldn't get this. I was enjoying this game so much, I really wanted him to experience it too. Suckerpunch really delivered!

friend of the year award.

Sai-kun

Banned
omfg.

guys.

this. game. is. amazing!

I'm a little after mastering the third power. Holy shit, I am having such a blast with this game. Just moving around the city using powers feels so fucking cool.

My only gripe so far would be that 'natural' climbing feels a little bit sloppier/clunkier than it did in I1/I2. BUT thankfully other powers make it super easy to traverse buildings, so it's not too big a deal.

Back to the game! Huge props to Sucker Punch.

Then you must be wasting a TON of smoke because I have tons of sources still available after every fight, make sure to get the smoke stacks on roofs, blow up cars, blow up ammo crates, everything you can to get more smoke. Also the melee attack is very good so use that too instead of just spamming the shoot button.

Yeah, like I said it won't be a problem after upgrading or getting better at the game. Just early game it could be off putting to people. It's not really a "you're doing it wrong" type of scenario if it isn't intuitive.

A side note:
I did most of the things marked on the map to clear it but there were still spy missions and tagging ... do they appear on the minimap or do they unlock during the story?

Audio has never been a strong suit of the Infamous games. The first two games barely had any ambient audio at all, if I remember right.
In the short amount of time I've played so far I'd say the audio is outstanding actually. Been playing with a pretty good 5.1 setup and the Home Theater setting.

I just bought my friend this game + 3 months of PS + because he got fired from his job recently, and was bummed he couldn't get this. I was enjoying this game so much, I really wanted him to experience it too. Suckerpunch really delivered!

You're a pretty awesome friend.

cyen

Maybe i was not clear enough in my previous post, when i said poor IQ im not saying that the graphics are bad or anything, they are quite good, one of the best for all plataforms, i just said that in terms of IQ it cant compete with High End GPUs doing SSAA or MSAA, i noticed that alot of objects in game have some aliasing that in my case distracts a bit since im used to play on PC with MSAA or SSAA.

How soon can you get Cole's jacket ?

I just found first icon (part 1) with that dead drop but now I can't find the second icon to continue Cole's Legacy missions.

Because original vest is just ugly and those pre-order vests are even worse.

Maybe i was not clear enough in my previous post, when i said poor IQ im not saying that the graphics are bad or anything, they are quite good, one of the best for all plataforms, i just said that in terms of IQ it cant compete with High End GPUs doing SSAA or MSAA, i noticed that alot of objects in game have some aliasing that in my case distracts a bit since im used to play on PC with MSAA or SSAA.
That's what happens when you're on the PC for a while and you get on a console. I noticed that too after playing BF4 for a while then getting on Killzone After a little while you get used to it.

URATowel

Banned
If you have your back turned to enemies they don't recognize you. Once I faced them they said "id confirmed!" and attacked.

Pretty cool.

hal9001

Banned
Played around for a bit. The intro and the highway/bridge set piece to Seattle was stunning. However once you get there, the first couple or so missions that I played felt slightly repetitive and uninspiring. Graphically its amazing but hopefully the mission variety starts picking up later on.

What do you mean boot the game? Should take the disc out???

It will start downloading the patch as soon as you launch the game. The only sure fire way to know that it's applied is to quit the game and start it again. Pretty annoying.

Edit: Anyone else spend a good chunk of their time just trying to set up sweet screenshots?

Aesthet1c

Does this game kick up the ps4 fans for anyone else?

Yeah my PS4 gets kind of loud when playing. Hope that's normal and not an early sign of failure or anything.

Also, this is the first time in a long time that I've felt like motion and touch controls really add to the experience. They are never overbearing, just very subtle, and makes things like opening doors feel natural and something different than just pushing a button. It also free's up the rest of the face buttons for more important things.

Top Bottom