• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Some quick thoughts on the game. About half thorough...

Pros:
*Early on the game does a good job of introducing you to how powers work by slowly
giving you access to them in sequence with the story.
*Graphics are great, I think it's the image quality that makes this game shine though.
*Love the main character, love his attitude, really believable as an average guy who just acquired super powers.
*Facial animations are on point
*I'm liking the story so far, but i won't spoil it for others.

Cons:

*Climbing up buildings and stuff just feels off, i'm starting to wonder if some of the
powers were designed to hide this.
* The touch-pad stuff is alright for draining smoke and stuff, but feels tacked on for other things. Hold up while tapping r2, really ?
* Enemy A.i can be pretty oblivious sometimes.
* Hate how they do blast shards, huge step back.
* I find myself constantly getting caught on stuff while fighting enemies. Being pulled onto poles, fences ect is kind of annoying. It's very similar to assassins creed in that regard. Not as bad though..

You mentioned the Paper Trail stuff, did you do anything past the 1st mission? What "things" are you referring to, then?

You have to upload the evidence from the first mission, go through the evidence on the website and use that to unlock the next part of the mission which I am about to go do right now.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
You have to upload the evidence from the first mission, go through the evidence on the website and use that to unlock the next part of the mission which I am about to go do right now.

That's what I was asking about, most people can't get the website to load the evidence / show that they've viewed it so they can continue.

lantus

This game people. Absolutely a blast to play, miles ahead of both previous games. I think it's mainly due to the much improved traversal, but the combat, story and characters are sooo much better as well. This game is just pure joy!

davidjwallace

Neo Member
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but is anyone else having trouble uploading the evidence for the paper trail mission to their online profile? Seems like I can't continue the mission without performing that step, but I've tried multiple times to upload the evidence and it won't let me.

Sorian

Banned
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but is anyone else having trouble uploading the evidence for the paper trail mission to their online profile? Seems like I can't continue the mission without performing that step, but I've tried multiple times to upload the evidence and it won't let me.

GTA Online had a better first showing than paper trail.

Zing!

KORNdoggy

The website it says to go to if the problem persists doesn't even work for me.

Bookoo

This game looks really good but I have to admit it drives me absolutely insane that there is no splash effects when you're walking in puddles. Such a strange oversight...

Makes me feel like I'm walking on a sheet of glass above the puddle.

Ha ya I noticed that as well. When I was running on the beach in the very beginning I stopped to see if it made footprints...
sadly it does not.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This game people. Absolutely a blast to play, miles ahead of both previous games. I think it's mainly due to the much improved traversal, but the combat, story and characters are sooo much better as well. This game is just pure joy!
I personally don't think it's any better than the last two. Prettier sure, but it just seems like more of the same.

More than halfway through btw

That's what I was asking about, most people can't get the website to load the evidence / show that they've viewed it so they can continue.

I keep clicking refresh and it works at the 4th or 5th try, just did the second part of the mission in game and now back to the website to figure out the other clues and do the last part for week 1

I personally don't think it's any better than the last two. Prettier sure, but it just seems like more of the same.

I didn't care much for the previous ones, yet I love this one. It's clear as day that whatever it is that they did, it made it a much better game.

BashNasty

Gotta be honest, I much prefer the traversal in the first two Infamous games to this one. Quickly moving from power-line to power-line was a lot of fun and forced you to come up with unique paths through your environment. This made exploring the cities a lot of fun because there was a good reason to keep your eye out for new routes across the rooftops. In Second Son, despite the movement powers looking cool and being very effective, this environmental interaction is lost. I can dash up the side of any building easily with neon, so my incentive to look around the city for clever paths is far diminished. A real shame given how much care was put into this Seattle. The game looks great and has plenty to see, it's just a shame moving around the fantastic city is less fun.

i tried a few more times, and its not working for me still either. Guess u just have to be extremely lucky. When I almost get the wallet to load, it just loaded infinitely and never did anything

hydruxo

Yeah once you get neon, it REALLY gets fun. I think I killed like 11 or 12 DUP with a single
radiant sweep attack.
Wish you had a little more control during that, but still really freakin cool!

Lingitiz

I think for me it's a lot more exciting just because there's at least that carrot-on-a-stick of getting the new powers. The way you progressed through powers in I1 or I2 was pretty poor tbh.

george_us

Just finished it. Final boss fight was a bit lackluster and I wish there were more character specific missions, but overall I had a blast.

I don't think so, I'm further in and no signs. Good news for me, they were just big and frustrating in inFamous 2

what?! i loved them in infamous 2. they weren't frustrating at all. they made the game better because all the smaller enemies sucked and were no challenge compared to them.

and they're easier to target.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think for me it's a lot more exciting just because there's at least that carrot-on-a-stick of getting the new powers. The way you progressed through powers in I1 or I2 was pretty poor tbh.
That much about it is better. This game makes me want to get more powers and it's easy!

So pissed my infamous didn't arrive from gamefly for the weekend. Pretty much always get games on release from them since the Pittsburgh warehouse is only 4 hours from me. Guess I'll get it monday then.

gsethi523

Neo Member
I keep clicking refresh and it works at the 4th or 5th try, just did the second part of the mission in game and now back to the website to figure out the other clues and do the last part for week 1

Is the signal tracker supposed to do anything after you inputted the code? I typed in the number given to me from the detective files, but after I hit enter it just says fills up the bar saying locating signal and then stops; and checking in-game and the online profile shows no changes.

hoss

Loving this game. If this is the type of experience we have to look forward to with exclusive PS4 games then this is going to be a great generation.

lantus

I never said it wasn't more of the same, it clearly is fundamentally like the first two games. But everything about it seems more well put together. I don't recall liking any of the characters from the previous games, and I've enjoyed all of them in second son up to when you get neon; I've even chuckled at some of the jokes they've made which surprised even me. The dash abilities also make the pacing during combat much more enjoyable I think.

FeD.nL

One thing I always wondered, for a game called Infamous why are the good endings always canon so far?

Just finished the story line and I must say I had a blast playing through it but I did expected something more out of the story. The powers are great and i'm now going for the 100% before starting my evil playthrough.

I have to reiterate how good the controls are. It makes traversal and combat so fun and satisfying. MASSIVE improvement over the past games. I'm absolutely loving this game.

My only gripe is the somewhat repetitive side missions, beyond that that this game is gold. So far it's an 8.5 in my mind.

Is the signal tracker supposed to do anything after you inputted the code? I typed in the number given to me from the detective files, but after I hit enter it just says fills up the bar saying locating signal and then stops; and checking in-game and the online profile shows no changes.

Keep clicking send it will eventually say location found, then the next part should be unlocked in game.

God, the lighting at nighttime is *DROOL*. The lack of dynamic shadows on more light sources hurts just a bit, but the look overall is great, especially when you start messing around with neon + motion blur

GltvzST.jpg

CSmE1V9.jpg

42UjCZV.jpg

qyKvOyc.jpg

PQUg7Ys.jpg

Blown out to hell and back
1ljlxIr.jpg

yD9A1oO.jpg

2NaCV5t.jpg

a7Z57d0.jpg

4oXZwp3.jpg

Sorian

Banned
Sitting at work for another 4 hours salivating about digging right back in when I get home. The side content really does feel repetitive like last infamous games but there is something about it this time that makes me constantly say "oh just one more thing to clear" *clears it* "oh I can just get that last blast shard real quick" *rinse and repeat until I don't know where the time went*

TEH-CJ

Banned
Not feeling this game. Damn, and I really wanted to enjoy it..

Its missing something and I can't put my finger on it. Its also a just tad repetitive with the same scenario taking place over and over. Kill the yellow marine dudes, rinse and repeat.

Looks amazing though and the controls are fluid.

AGoodODST

Came home from work today to find the PS4 + Infamous bundle waiting for me curtesy of my girlfriend. Nice little surprise!

Reading through this thread over the last few days has got me pretty hyped to play this! Not played the first two games but I gather they aren't required for this one.

I just got Neon but i'm very happy with Infamous SS. Have played through 1 and 2 and wasn't the biggest fan (mostly due to story and characters)... much bettter in this one I am finding.

As mentioned I am most impressed with the graphics for how early in the gen this is. Bodes well for those games a couple years away.

Namikaze1

I don't know why but to me it seems like Delsin's attacks are stronger if you go down the Evil path. I've been taking out D.U.P soldiers with ease since starting my expert run through. Perhaps it's because I no longer have to hold back. Anyway, back to murdering civilians and soldiers.

what?! i loved them in infamous 2. they weren't frustrating at all. they made the game better because all the smaller enemies sucked and were no challenge compared to them.

and they're easier to target.
There are two types of enemies that you'll encounter later in the story that are a much bigger challenge than the grunts, jumpers, and even the minigunners.
Especially the big brutes that body check you.

Not feeling this game. Damn, and I really wanted to enjoy it..

Its missing something and I can't put my finger on it. Its also a just tad repetitive with the same scenario taking place over and over. Kill the yellow marine dudes, rinse and repeat.

Looks amazing though and the controls are fluid.

Uh, that's the same for all infamous games, and assassin's creed games, and saint's row, pretty much all sandboxes.

Sanke__

Just beat it as infamous and 100 percented it

The third power set is a blast, glad they didn't spoil it

Kinda wish they would have kept neon hidden too but at least they kept the neon ultimate attack hidden
Most visually impressive thing in the game I think

Top Bottom