• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
this is my first infamous game, and to be honest it's not living up to the neogaf neckbeard hype. I understand that we're all thirsty for quality games on the PS4, and in terms of graphics this game delivers.

However, I feel like gameplay falls short. I'm only 15% or so of the way into the campaign but already enemies are starting to feel repetitive in their attacks, and they all look the same as well. I don't have the neon power allowing me to run up walls yet, but climbing up the sides of buildings is slow and cumbersome. In fact, the way cole moves in general feels kind of off when he isn't flying. I haven't done many sidequests yet, but from what I've read they're pretty repetitive. Of course I'll keep playing, but as of now my plan is to finish it by the end of the week and sell it off for credit towards something else.

You can play as Cole in this game?

Hype deflated if so. Hated that dude

this is my first infamous game, and to be honest it's not living up to the neogaf neckbeard hype. I understand that we're all thirsty for quality games on the PS4, and in terms of graphics this game delivers.

However, I feel like gameplay falls short. I'm only 15% or so of the way into the campaign but already enemies are starting to feel repetitive in their attacks, and they all look the same as well. I don't have the neon power allowing me to run up walls yet, but climbing up the sides of buildings is slow and cumbersome. In fact, the way cole moves in general feels kind of off when he isn't flying. I haven't done many sidequests yet, but from what I've read they're pretty repetitive. Of course I'll keep playing, but as of now my plan is to finish it by the end of the week and sell it off for credit towards something else.

Neckbeards! This isn't 4chan, also I think you're playing infamous one or two as cole isn't in this one

Nuke Soda

The morality system in this game is weird. Beat up drug dealers get good karma. Beat up thugs preying on the weak get bad karma. Beat up on punks beating a helpless conduit and it counts as a civilian kill. I like the game, but some of the design decisions are weird.

Finally finished watching a playthrough of this and apart from the amazing graphics, i honestly think Infamous 2 is the much better game.
From the imo better characters and story in Infamous 2 to the far better city in New Morais (sp?) and much better and varied enemies in Infamous 2 (why did they get rid of the monsters and mutants etc?).
I much prefered the electric powers and i missed the electric grenades that came in so handy and of course the inventive power moves like the tornado.
All the side content in SS seemed really basic and bland compared to the older games as well (Spray painting with the silly touch pad?, really?)
Where were the cool characters like Nix and Zeke and the rest?, the characters in SS don't come close and the story seems barely there compared to Infamous 2 and actually doesn't seem to be half as many cut scenes in SS.

Infamous SS reminds me more of a tech demo that a true follow up to Infamous 1 ans 2.
Thats not to say this isn't a good game because i had fun watching it and will definately pick it up when i get my PS4 but it just wasn't as good a game as Infamous 2, not from a viewer looking in from the outside anyway.

play the game dude...

So I will be stuck with the current time of day forever? That really sucks! Cmon SP, give us an option to change it anytime after the story is completed.

I expect this to be patched in somehow... seems like an odd decision to make considering almost every power looks better at night.

Calabi

Wtf does this even mean

Well as in compared to something like Batman or DmC, where you have a wide variety of abilities and they all flow together and have a point where its clear they are used

This you have a three button melee system where you spam the same three moves over and over(which looks more basic than infamous 2). You spam the standard attacks, some attacks being slightly more powerful versions, till the enemy is dead. I'm not going to go on though, its just my opinion, dont want to rain on the parade.

My DLC still isn't showing up for some reason, are there any sort of troubleshooting tips for this?

I redeemed both Cole's Legacy and the pre-order Jacket codes on the web, but they don't show up in-game.

When I try to manually download the DLC through the dashboard it adds it to Downloads and then says there was an error.

.GqueB.

Banned
Finally got to the third power and I gotta say... Still love neon. Smoke is completely terrible but neon makes me feel like I'm cheating. So fun to use.

SeanR1221

Finally got to the third power and I gotta say... Still love neon. Smoke is completely terrible but neon makes me feel like I'm cheating. So fun to use.

Yeah neon is by far the best.

I almost don't want this to end. Nothing is coming out until May :(

Maybe I'll play my ps3 backlog

Pop

edit: i have idea why i wrote down cole's name instead of delsin. guess i was distracted by the ky game.

So you come in here to insult us first then tell us the game stinks. But yet you don't even know how to play the game. And lastly, there's plenty of games on Ps4. Quit spewing that mess.

Yeah neon is by far the best.

I almost don't want this to end. Nothing is coming out until May :(

Maybe I'll play my ps3 backlog

I hate neon with a passion except for the dash but with the 3rd power I'll never use neon again unleased forced to

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Okay my final opinion: Game is boring and I'll probably never finish it.

I now have zero hype in SP's next game.

Bring on Naughty Dog, and soon. Please.

mishakoz

I think heavy ammo is limited because they're really powerful. If you could spam it then the game would be too easy. Balance.

Well yeah, they made them more powerful. They didnt have to do that. I rather them be less powerful and tied to my power gauge than what happens now.

Haven't finished the game, had to work this weekend and i want to clear the first island of DUP.

IMO, Karma Bombs o streaks as they are called now i believe, are better balanced this way, they give you an incentive in the way you play, be famous and you have to be careful and preccise, be infamous and you have to be fast and deadly.

Yeah, but like you said the first game had that. Grenades would automatically retrain enemies past their damage point.

I dont mind having to work toward karmic streaks, and I like being forced to play carefully and subdue enemies, but i dont like how they are once in a while and ridiculously OP. Again, id like something i can use more, but be less powerful, like the ionic vortex.

You are wrong about your assumption, game development isn't done the way you think it is done. How do you think having a separate meter for bombs and karma power allows them to achieve better graphics?A graphics programmer won't work on the gameplay, so there is no way focusing on graphics would affect the gameplay features in any way.

The only time they affect each other is when they are tied to each other, like the torch in Dark Souls 2 and how it became useless after the downgrade.

Yet, every power in Second Son is less explosive than it has been before. Grenades dont explode, missles are limited, there is no shockwave power than you can unleash constantly, only a chargable one.

Having a separate meter allows them to pace the powers the player uses. You can only do a few missles at a time to max of 6 or so. Its good at limiting you without you realizing that. Compared to when you could unleash 3 ionic vortexes in a row and 10 missles in all directions. (also, the game doesnt have a infinite power section like the lighting storm from infamous)

Less explosions means less taxing on the engine, more room for visuals. Maybe I am crazy, i accept that, but i cant help but feel the powers were limited to ensure the chaos onscreen never got too much to affect frame rate.

Also, vague end game spoiler in regards to the technical design (you wont know what i am talking about unless youve played it)
There is a fight somewhere in the game that takes place in an enclosed space because the boss was clearly too complex to render it and the world too. A poor decision since an open world game should use the open world, and this fight didnt.

T.O.P

Banned
This game can be freakin amazing once you understand how to move and get the better out of you abilities

I'm amazed so far

How enjoyable is it for you guys playing good. I'm going through on evil having a blast just wrecking shit. Do you have to approach situations differently and think before you act? I just hope it's as fun as evil.

This game can be freakin amazing once you understand how to move and get the better out of you abilities

I'm amazed so far

Once you understand the traversal the game is bliss when combining powers along with it. Game didn't click with me right away but once it did I was more than happy with my purchase.

Some stuff this game needs which hopefully wouldn't be too hard to implement

- "screenshot mode" which removes the HUD and lets you either make Delsin invisible or give you a free camera

- option to change the time of day

- option to replay missions once you've finished a playthrough. The missions featuring
angels
were freaking awesome.

LegoArmo

When you upgrade the
third
power, it's head and shoulders above the rest. You feel like a God, getting across huge sections of the map in seconds.

The morality system in this game is weird. Beat up drug dealers get good karma. Beat up thugs preying on the weak get bad karma. Beat up on punks beating a helpless conduit and it counts as a civilian kill. I like the game, but some of the design decisions are weird.
Something else I find weird is that when you help the conduits, the people previously beating him up also cheer you. LOL, Wut?

So having upgraded all the powers, nothing uses the click-in sticks, which makes the lack of shoulder-switching all the stranger.

I feel like Sucker Punch didn't do really simple, obvious things (things they did in previous inFamous games, even!) to get this game out on time.

le.phat

Finally finished watching a playthrough of this and apart from the amazing graphics, i honestly think Infamous 2 is the much better game.
From the imo better characters and story in Infamous 2 to the far better city in New Morais (sp?) and much better and varied enemies in Infamous 2 (why did they get rid of the monsters and mutants etc?).
I much prefered the electric powers and i missed the electric grenades that came in so handy and of course the inventive power moves like the tornado.
All the side content in SS seemed really basic and bland compared to the older games as well (Spray painting with the silly touch pad?, really?)
Where were the cool characters like Nix and Zeke and the rest?, the characters in SS don't come close and the story seems barely there compared to Infamous 2 and actually doesn't seem to be half as many cut scenes in SS.

Infamous SS reminds me more of a tech demo that a true follow up to Infamous 1 ans 2.
Thats not to say this isn't a good game because i had fun watching it and will definately pick it up when i get my PS4 but it just wasn't as good a game as Infamous 2, not from a viewer looking in from the outside anyway.

What a dumb fucking post. The gameplay is ace, your view of this game is simply the limited extent of your imagination.

AGoodODST

How enjoyable is it for you guys playing good. I'm going through on evil having a blast just wrecking shit. Do you have to approach situations differently and think before you act? I just hope it's as fun as evil.

I'm finding a good playthrough pretty fun. You just have to be careful with your attacks to make sure you don't harm civillians otherwise your karma streak resets.

It's a playstyle that fits in with being a "hero" character, which is pretty cool. You can't just go on a rampage around the city. I do imagine a evil playthrough will prove to be more fun as you can just let loose. Looking forward to it after I finish up the good one.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So having upgraded all the powers, nothing uses the click-in sticks, which makes the lack of shoulder-switching all the stranger.

I feel like Sucker Punch didn't do really simple, obvious things (things they did in previous inFamous games, even!) to get this game out on time.
When is shoulder switching ever needed? In the previous games the camera zoomed in a lot but in this game the camera, even in zoomed in is quite far away.

If there is criticism about the lack of click-stick assignments then that button should have been used for an additional power or something.

I'm finding a good playthrough pretty fun. You just have to be careful with your attacks to make sure you don't harm civillians otherwise your karma streak resets.

It's a playstyle that fits in with being a "hero" character, which is pretty cool. You can't just go on a rampage around the city. I do imagine a evil playthrough will prove to be more fun as you can just let loose. Looking forward to it after I finish up the good one.
Yup. The good guy playthrough and not messing up by causing too much havoc when civilians are around is a fun mechanic.

Once you understand the traversal the game is bliss when combining powers along with it. Game didn't click with me right away but once it did I was more than happy with my purchase.

I'm playing the good story and it's rewarding. You still do a lot of damage, but it's tactical and more precise. It took some time to get used to aiming at feet after years of games explicitly training me to aim for heads - but it's fun slowing time and subduing four or five enemies in rapid succession.

Sometimes I find myself clicking R3 when I go to drain a power as just a muscle memory reflex from the first two games. Also, L3 was the EM-Sense ability where Cole would cause sources of electricity and blast shards to light up and display on the map. Now that power sources and blast shards are always on the map it seems they found this ability redundant and left L3 blank.

Oh whoops, I have to start over again because I didn't click in to Expert mode before I moved Delsin, thus poisoning the entire playthrough, because Sucker Punch neglected to put in any sort of front menu screen.

Good thing there's a skip cutscene option because otherwise this would be incredibly annoying and unpolished.

I tried to play as evil initially, but I couldnt harm Betty...

Lol. I felt the same way. I have played all three previous games (I count the Halloween DLC as a separate game) and with the first two, I always play through good first then bad on hard second. I thought about switching it up yesterday when I first got the CE of SS in the mail. As soon as I saw they had Betty, I couldn't do it :( Even my wife (who was half watching while playing Professor Layton) thought that was a tough decision.

I am loving these game so far (which is not a huge surprise since I love the series) and can't wait to play some more.

Sorian

Banned
Oh whoops, I have to start over again because I didn't click in to Expert mode before I moved Delsin, thus poisoning the entire playthrough, because Sucker Punch neglected to put in any sort of front menu screen.

Good thing there's a skip cutscene option because otherwise this would be incredibly annoying and unpolished.

I see what you did there! I'd have more sympathy if you didn't already need to play the game through twice. If this was your first run then its no biggie, you can get the expert trophy next time, if this is your second run then you should have known better.

Just came out of the 2nd main battle battle with the
giant rock dude that Augustine sends down

I think the cinematic where you get out is a hint of the 3rd power. The ability to fly???! Maybe? Woo can't wait to see it!

That battle was intense!

Playing on expert throughout. Good side first.

Top Bottom