• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Strider

Another sly sighting!

Nice to know the kids hanging out at the play zone have some artistic skills ;)

RGjrp5u.jpg

Jrmint

Just got the third power. Does this thing have a "find the weakness" ability?

I love the flying thing but I don't wanna dump Neon for this because I can't leg shot people
Yea this is a big downer after getting used to neon. I really don't see myself using this power more than Neon. The traversal ability is nice, but not sure it's better than Neon either.

The 3rd power is my favorite. I haven't used smoke or neon at all since I got it, save for the secret agent missions.

Almost makes me wish there was a whole game centered around it lol

Hazanko

Banned
I liked the story. It doesn't have crazy twists and turns but more to do with the two brothers so thought it was a nice change. I played as hero though, im playing evil now but don't really think it suits the character.

cjp

Looks like I've got a bug. Got an icon for a hand scanner in downtown but there's nothing at the location and definitely no underground section.

Guess that means I'll be missing a shard for upgrades and trophy.

:(

McLovin

Anyone else super disappointed that you can't climb the space needle outside of the story mission? Whenever I finished an AC or Infamous game I find the highest point to jump off of. I was so disappointed when I hit th a t invisible wall:(
I also miss the shield option but Delsin is super mobile and doesn't really need it.

kanuuna

I got my hands on the game. It really grinds me that they didn't include any HUD options. Especially after the first two games that shipped with HUD opacity options, and as a plasma owner. I really feel like refraining to play much more of the game until they patch those options in - I really don't want to get lost in the game for a 3 hour sitting to have all of that tacky HUD get sticky. Options included most of the PS4 titles I've played should really become the norm. Battlefield let you set up the opacity, margins and size, Assassin's Creed let you disable individual elements, and recently Ground Zeroes had a plethora of options in the same vain - to disable crosshairs, item menus unless using said items and so forth. All of those games look better, too, without these elements. I don't hate information and feedback: I just want them to be visible at my convenience.

That issue aside, the game looks gorgeous. Sound is great, too - and at least there you had options to set it to the appropriate space and system setup.

/rant

Sulik2

My impressions so far.

My eyes weep for joy at the visuals in this game. Its gorgeous.

Combat is a blast. Love the first two powers. Especially the second one. Its Incredible Hulk's movement again. So happy. I really like Deslin so far. I am still not sure how it links to the ending of infamous 2, hope that is explained. Combat feels harder, more fluid and is a joy.

My complaints are that movement jankiness still persists. I still get stuck on walls or fall through the world on occasion. Same problem all the Infamous games have had with the free running.

The painting minigame is stupid. The art looks cool but the pointless sixaxis minigame is a waste of time. How did this make it into the shipping game?

Namikaze1

I didn't used the 3rd power that much during my Good run since it tended to give me Bad Karma points. Plus, I loved Neon's slow-mo upgrade, something I greatly miss as I'm going through my Evil run. Once I get the 3rd power, I'm sticking with that for the rest of my Evil run.

Kyoufu

Looks like I've got a bug. Got an icon for a hand scanner in downtown but there's nothing at the location and definitely no underground section.

I think I had that happen to me. It fixed itself after a re-load.

I didn't used the 3rd power that much during my Good run since it tended to give me Bad Karma points. Plus, I loved Neon's slow-mo upgrade, something I greatly miss as I'm going through my Evil run. Once I get the 3rd power, I'm sticking with that for the rest of my Evil run.

Can easily subdue with it though.

Hazanko

Banned
Anyone else super disappointed that you can't climb the space needle outside of the story mission? Whenever I finished an AC or Infamous game I find the highest point to jump off of. I was so disappointed when I hit th a t invisible wall:(
I also miss the shield option but Delsin is super mobile and doesn't really need it.

Space needle isn't highest point tho.

KORNdoggy

Bummer. I had a bug where (end game spoiler ahead)
the last boss fell through the floor and just left me wandering around the DUP tower indoor arena, thought i was supposed to climb something, but just turns out she glitched out of the level.

Muffdraul

I just took that Conduit+ Sensory Test, and am kinda bummed that I can't go back to the beginning and listen to the sound samples again. They were great, wish they were longer.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This maybe a spoiler, its about the audio logs, is that
Nolan North
doing the voice on the phone?

Hazanko

Banned
Bummer. I had a bug where (end game spoiler ahead)
the last boss fell through the floor and just left me wandering around the DUP tower indoor arena, thought i was supposed to climb something, but just turns out she glitched out of the level.

That happened to me too. I just loaded autosave.

I love the flying thing but I don't wanna dump Neon for this because I can't leg shot people

If you're on the hero side,
you can hover and shoot, and both shots are pretty powerful. Plus getting the invisibility upgrade, letting you stealth submit a couple guys, is pretty sweet too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My impressions so far.

My eyes weep for joy at the visuals in this game. Its gorgeous.

Combat is a blast. Love the first two powers. Especially the second one. Its Incredible Hulk's movement again. So happy. I really like Deslin so far. I am still not sure how it links to the ending of infamous 2, hope that is explained. Combat feels harder, more fluid and is a joy.

My complaints are that movement jankiness still persists. I still get stuck on walls or fall through the world on occasion. Same problem all the Infamous games have had with the free running.

The painting minigame is stupid. The art looks cool but the pointless sixaxis minigame is a waste of time. How did this make it into the shipping game?
In regards to graffiti, make sure you're holding the controller properly. R2 under your right index finger, controller vertical, and lightbar pointed at the screen. I held it wrong for the first couple and thought it sucked but it's great when you do it right.

I really like it :/ You feel like a part of the process rather than just going to a place and pressing a button.

Try holding your your controller sideways for extra gimmick points!

Pimpwerx

No, I added new powers, but upgrading the powers afterwards ( like, adding more rockets or "power storage" I never noticed it.

Fighting with 2 or 3 "rocket" limit the entire game, wasn't great.

zpSUnf3.jpg

these
Holy shit. You finished it with the tiny energy bars and full power drain? Bravo good sir. The amount of retreating to recharge must've been frustrating. No double jumps or dashes too. You beat the game handicapped. PEACE.

The soundtrack is super under rated in this game

Really dig "Owning the Future" and "Smoke and Mirrors"

Yeah, the soundtrack is very good. Some of if is the same composer who worked on Looper and Brick.

I'm not sure who "Brain" is, though. I'm pretty sure it's not the metal band from the early 90s...

Muffdraul

There are absorbable power sources all over the place, you can practically switch between them at will.

Yeah the same thing happened with a tracker bot. I shot it down, went to the location, no shard. Reloading fixed it.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
In regards to graffiti, make sure you're holding the controller properly. R2 under your right index finger, controller vertical, and lightbar pointed at the screen. I held it wrong for the first couple and thought it sucked but it's great when you do it right.

Am I the only one who held the controller normal? Lol, it controlled perfectly fine without holding it vertical.

I really like it :/ You feel like a part of the process rather than just going to a place and pressing a button.

Try holding your your controller sideways for extra gimmick points!

I love it, myself. I love the tactile feel of the whole thing. When I hold the controller the way the game suggests and actually shake it, the way the spray can "rattles" along with the spray noise coming out of the controller speaker...magic.

Also love how the light bar changes colour depending on what colour spray you're about to hit the stencil with.

I think it's an ingenious use of the controller's features. It's a lot of fun.

abrack08

I thought I had a bug like this as well but it turned out that the machine had already been destroyed and the blast shard was laying on the ground a bit away, as if the explosion had sent it flying. The blast shard wasn't marked on the map at all, and once I absorbed it, the hand scanner icon went away.

Hazanko

Banned
I was pointing the lightbar to the left for a while. It didn't work well at all :lol

I've been holding it sideways like the picture. Now I know you point lightbar at screen! The picture should've been animated to show the sideways pic and then pointing at screen.

I thought I had a bug like this as well but it turned out that the machine had already been destroyed and the blast shard was laying on the ground a bit away, as if the explosion had sent it flying. The blast shard wasn't marked on the map at all, and once I absorbed it, the hand scanner icon went away.

It's weird, sometimes blast shards just don't show up for me on the map. I once took out a DUP Mobile Command Center and none of the four blast shards were on the map, so I couldn't be sure if I got them all or not (I hadn't been counting when I realized it).

btkadams

It's weird, sometimes blast shards just don't show up for me on the map. I once took out a DUP Mobile Command Center and none of the four blast shards were on the map, so I couldn't be sure if I got them all or not (I hadn't been counting when I realized it).

this happened to me too on the second island. it was weird.

Muffdraul

That happened to me once or twice, but it was because I hadn't taken out a nearby jammer yet.

EDIT: I take that back. It was because at least one of the sections of the map has two DUP command centers in it, and the shards don't show on the map until you destroy both.

Lacix

Cole's Jacket looks great lol, especially with the white hoodie

btw the Cole's Legacy in the special edition (EU) is a big disappointment for me.
It doesn't contain any new character model or any new effect. Only radio conversation and missions against DUP soldiers,
not worth the extra money.

Third power thoughts.
The idea of video as a power is cool as hell, but I really don't like how it's framed with MMOs, with angels and summoning swords and all that. I would have preferred straight-up glitchy-looking, crunchy insanity. Like Vanellope from Wreck It Ralph by way of Violet from The Incredibles.

Really surprised by this game. Will likely be the first game I ever platinum (although that's in part to there being no dumb trophies). Given I didn't like the first two, I'm really just struck with how much I love this one.

Odrion

Banned
Does anybody else enjoy pressing the touchpad to drain the smoke, neon, etc?? Funny that it's more enjoyable than just pressing any other button!!
Yeah, at first I thought it was dumb but yeah, touching the controller to absorb something is neat.

What also really amused me is the spray painting, it was kinda neat holding the controller sideways and using it as a spray can.

Andrew.

Banned
Are custom soundtracks supported in this by any chance? Making a Seatlle grunge mix to this would be beyond badass.

I reaallllly want to climb the Space Needle while Pearl Jam's "Alive" guitar solo is playing in the background.

btkadams

Are custom soundtracks supported in this by any chance? Making a Seatlle grunge mix to this would be beyond badass.

I reaallllly want to climb the Space Needle while Pearl Jam's "Alive" guitar solo is playing in the background.
PS4 doesn't support custom soundtracks, unless you're wanting to make a custom playlist in Music Unlimited (Sony's paid steaming service).

I love it, myself. I love the tactile feel of the whole thing. When I hold the controller the way the game suggests and actually shake it, the way the spray can "rattles" along with the spray noise coming out of the controller speaker...magic.

Also love how the light bar changes colour depending on what colour spray you're about to hit the stencil with.

I think it's an ingenious use of the controller's features. It's a lot of fun.

I think all of those touches are cool, but I'm biased. I'm a fan of street art and have a Banksy canvas in my living room.

Top Bottom