• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Can't seem to get the paper trail website working

"Sorry… You are not eligible to view the contents of this website."

I am getting this for some odd reason

Ridley327

Good lord @ the graphics in the final boss fight. I don't think I've seen so many moving parts since ZOE2.

While I do think that Sucker Punch really does need to evolve their mission design, both for the main missions and especially the side content, I think they finally nailed how awesome it is to be a superhero with all the powers you get at your disposal, especially once you start upgrading them. It's honestly fun just to see how long you can stay off the ground with your various powers.

Sorian

Banned
For those who missed it, I figured out the best way to damage HHD last night.

When he switches sides after enough damage, don't make a bee-line straight for the raising set of platforms. He turns in to a bunch of angels to reassemble on the other side, shoot down those angels to do the bulk of the damage against him. The missiles you hit him with while he's fully-assembled are only meant to get him in to his disassembled form, not to be the main thrust of damage.

Yeah, I realized this halfway through the fight. It was painful doing enough damage before then.

Arrrammis

I don't think I'm giving away anything, but I'll spoiler most of this just in case.

I think that Sucker Punch gives a massive hint at DLC where Delsin goes to
Curtain K
in the last dead drop, where
the informant talks about how Augustine was terrified of Delsin going to Curtain K, and mentioning conduits there having the other powers that aren't yet available (Paper, Wire, Glass, etc.).

He closes with "Imagine if you went there and got all of those powers... you'd become... ah, it even terrifies me."

Not sure if this would work best as DLC or as a complete sequel.

I don't think I'm giving away anything, but I'll spoiler most of this just in case.

I think that Sucker Punch gives a massive hint at DLC where Delsin goes to
Curtain K
in the last dead drop, where
the informant talks about how Augustine was terrified of Delsin going to Curtain K, and mentioning conduits there having the other powers that aren't yet available (Paper, Wire, Glass, etc.).

He closes with "Imagine if you went there and got all of those powers... you'd become... ah, it even terrifies me."

Not sure if this would work best as DLC or as a complete sequel.

I think it'd be too much for DLC. Though I kind of wonder if SP even wants to do a fourth inFamous game.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Like from a meta standpoint sure smoke is probably on the lower end, but I'll be damned if it isn't ridiculously fun. I figure I have at least 20 hours in the game so far, and I still never get tired of going in to vents or smoke dashing mid-air and then resuming hovering.

I was mostly laughing childishly at the "smoking" -- "hard to get high" correlation, but yeah, I agree with you. Even when I know that it would be easier to get around the city using Neon or
Video
, I still like to smoke dash around. Feels the most... uh... thoughtful? I do kind of like (last power spoiler)
concrete's traversal too, in a strange way. The increasingly high hover combined with quick bursts of the traversal power in mid-air make for some neat movement. Also, the transition from air to ground with the concrete run is one of my favorite effects in the game.

When he switches sides after enough damage, don't make a bee-line straight for the raising set of platforms. He turns in to a bunch of angels to reassemble on the other side, shoot down those angels to do the bulk of the damage against him. The missiles you hit him with while he's fully-assembled are only meant to get him in to his disassembled form, not to be the main thrust of damage.

Wow, no wonder. I found it strange the battle was taking seven centuries just to get him to half health. SP should've made it a little clearer that
the disassembled angels are the weak spot.

PBY

Banned
Surprised so many people are disliking that boss fight. I loved it.

I just have a huge problem with a game building a huge, dope, beautiful sandbox that allows you to switch powers and be quick/mobile and employ different strategies

And then the boss fights are in these closed off rooms with basically one way to win. Its baffling to me.

Also, just got the first power and found all the conduits for it- how much do i have left?

Alienous

I recall doing that and thinking "How on earth is anyone else going to know it's the main damage state, not just a transition?".

They should've made that clearer.

Ridley327

I just have a huge problem with a game building a huge, dope, beautiful sandbox that allows you to switch powers and be quick/mobile and employ different strategies

And then the boss fights are in these closed off rooms with basically one way to win. Its baffling to me.

Yeah, I can't really say I enjoyed any of the boss fights. They were almost always impressive visually, but with the exception of one, they take away a lot of what makes the combat interesting in the normal missions by limiting your mobility. It was a big problem in the first game, too, that was more or less fixed in 2. I really don't know why they regressed in that department.

Toki767

I was thinking that this boss fight would make me not want to play on Expert, but after reading this I should really smack myself in the face for not figuring it out myself lol

Am I the only one who sees Crackdown and Saints Row 4 as better games?

I mean they had more to do in terms of either side missions, or stuff to do. Or powers a lone.

They both gave you weapons and vehicles. As WELL as MORE powers than you're given here in this game.

Nope. Crackdown you had to clear out zones which is essential the same thing you're doing here so I don't see the difference. Saints row had more to do, but this game is trying to set a story and have the side quests fit in. Saints row doesn't give a fuck about any of that so they can basically add anything. It doesn't need to make sense in SR4, it needs to make sense in Infamous..

Lastly... If I'm a superhero WHY THE FUCK DO I WANNA FLY OR DRIVE? Crackdown had more powers? I don't think your remembering crackdown correctly. U had guns not powers. Agility orbs was the closest thing to a power. SR4 u have like 8 powers, but those powers are your moves. SS has more... A lot more

It seems to me you prefer reality based open world games and not fantastical ones. We all have our preferences

PBY

Banned
Nope. Crackdown you had to clear out zones which is essential the same thing you're doing here so I don't see the difference. Saints row had more to do, but this game is trying to set a story and have the side quests fit in. Saints row doesn't give a fuck about any of that so they can basically add anything. It doesn't need to make sense in SR4, it needs to make sense in Infamous..

Lastly... If I'm a superhero WHY THE FUCK DO I WANNA FLY OR DRIVE? Crackdown had more powers? I don't think your remembering crackdown correctly. U had guns not powers. Agility orbs was the closest thing to a power. SR4 u have like 8 powers, but those powers are your moves. SS has more... A lot more

It seems to me you prefer reality based open world games and not fantastical ones. We all have our preferences

I thought crackdown was 10x more fun than this so far- more importantly, progression felt natural and earned. I dunno, progression in this game is weird. Its like POWER AND NOW FIND THE CONDUITS AND BOOM.

Its going for something different, which is fine, but a lot of it seems like missed opportunity to me.

I only played SR2 though, and I think infamous is way better than that.

I saw this online

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fun Facts about InFamous: Second Son

• 11,000: Number of 'ashbit' particles Delsin shatters into during a single smoke dash through the air. Each particle is individually textured (including the custom jacket!), before reforming!
  • 75: Number of high-resolution scanned poses of Troy Baker's face that were needed to train our performance capture system to produce Delsin’s facial animations. Troy had 168 tracked markers placed on his face and his head mesh resulted in 22,321 separate vertices (not counting his eyes, lashes, or beanie) that were used for various in-game animations.
  • 32 machines are used in the render farm that computed all the reflected/ambient lighting in the game.
  • Each rain drop is considered a particle and there are over 30,000 of them.
  • There are 1,024 sound variations of the smoke bolt. It will rarely sound the same twice.
  • Our Adaptive Ambient System enables each district to have its own atmosphere that conforms to the time of day, type of weather, and if the DUP controls it or if Delsin has freed it.
  • Over 50 individual sounds are used in a smoke orbital.
  • Delsin's head is built out of 60,000 triangles, plus 7,500 triangles for his beanie.
  • We have 168 skeleton joints just for Delsin's face.
  • The blocks in our version of Seattle are 100 meters square. That's exactly the same size as an actual Seattle block.
  • During our cut scenes, each of the 20,000 vertexes on Delsin's face is animated independently, thirty times a second.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7,500 triangles for his beanie.

lol

KORNdoggy

Yeah, I can't really say I enjoyed any of the boss fights. They were almost always impressive visually, but with the exception of one, they take away a lot of what makes the combat interesting in the normal missions by limiting your mobility. It was a big problem in the first game, too, that was more or less fixed in 2. I really don't know why they regressed in that department.

I prefer the bosses in infamous 1 and second son tbh. The fact they reel you in ability wise and take place in arenas allows them to be more "traditional". You'd struggle to have layered, pattern based boss fights of it's just a free for all. And I think ultimately that's why I didn't like infamous 2 near as much as the other 2. They felt designed... considered...infamous 2 gave us options, but lacked focus. I've enjoyed them all, but I prefer the 2 that had clear roots in the sly platform games...I felt they lost that a bit in the second, and I'm glad to see it back in the third.

So uhhh how far am I from beating this game because I think I'm gonna clear out the districts on my good run before I head to the grand finale.

I'm on the mission
Quid Quo Pro

I thought this would be immediately obvious to anyone who fought him?

Even if you didn't understand the initial forms, the last ones
with the shield requires you to shoot the angels to bypass the shield would suggest they are the best way to hurt him

kurbaan

Banned
So uhhh how far am I from beating this game because I think I'm gonna clear out the districts on my good run before I head to the grand finale.

I'm on the mission
Quid Quo Pro

You are pretty much at the end. Like 2 more missions. Also I'd wait till after the finale to clear out the districts.

Ridley327

I'm on the mission
Quid Quo Pro

Really damn close to the end. You can do cleanup on anything you missed after you beat the game, if you want to go down that route.

Hazanko

Banned

Also, just got the first power and found all the conduits for it- how much do i have left?

Maybe tech issues with big boss fights in open world? I know the framerate is better in a closed off area.

Nuke Soda

Wasn't even trying, but I ended up getting 100% on my first play through.

I had fun with the core power mechanics and destroying DUP structures, but the repetitive side missions got old fast and the story started promising, but soon became bland. Luckily the characters were likable enough even Augustine's actions sort of made sense in a completely twisted way in the end. I would like seeing more Deslin adventures, hopefully improved with actual side missions Red Dead Redemption style.

7/10

Artorias

Banned
I got the plat last night. I was kinda bummed that "expert" mode is such a joke. I'm not even convinced that you're squishier on expert, so I'm not sure why it would be considered harder than the normal setting.

PBY

Banned
Anyone getting tired of enemies spamming bullets? Having to always back off is really frustrating.

My first Infamous game. Felt the same way, then I realized that its designed that way. Its the basic combat loop- dive in, fight, back off, refuel, go back.

Once you expect it, it feels good.

Yup. Its really annoying. Makes pretty much all battles the same and its not that fun. Go in shoot a bit run away. Repeat.

Or you could vent up a building, melee snipers, jump off, slam guys on the ground, kick a couple before they get up, dash away, throw in a smoke grenade, subdue a couple more guys, and finish all the rest with an orbital drop.

There are more options than pew pew, run away, pew pew. Just saying.

Trouble

Banned
[*]The blocks in our version of Seattle are 100 meters square. That's exactly the same size as an actual Seattle block.

This strikes me as coincidence, since the game doesn't even attempt a tiny bit of geographical accuracy of Seattle. I totally understand the necessity for gameplay reasons, I just find it hilarious.

Here's an actual map of Seattle's neighborhoods:
x5xLEvH.jpg

Protip: No one calls it Uptown, it's Lower Queen Anne.

Hazanko

Banned
My only issues with this game are side missions and less platforming. I do like climbing things and it felt like there should be more missions that involve it. I also think there should have been different side missions in each section. They were all just camera, spy and spray.

mishakoz

Unfortunately this is the case with almost every boss fight. None uses the environment like Beast or slugmonster from infamous 2

Alienous

This strikes me as coincidence, since the game doesn't even attempt a tiny bit of geographical accuracy of Seattle. I totally understand the necessity for gameplay reasons, I just find it hilarious.

Here's an actual map of Seattle's neighborhoods:

Protip: No one calls it Uptown, it's Lower Queen Anne.

But .. but they live there.

Kssio_Aug

Ive always heard complains about enemies fire, since infamous 1. However, it really was never a problem for me. I always get owned at the start of each inFamous game, but soon enough I get the control over the character, and the combat becomes pure fun! I can only say what has already been said: do not stop moving! Infamous clmbat is about moving constantly and spamming your powers agains your enemies as hard as possible.

Crackdown and Infamous are very similar games. The approach to combat and traversal is the difference. Crackdown has more mindless combat. By the end of the game you are so powerful that a single grenade can take out a crowd. You can kick everything to death without worry. It was fun in it's own right.

I don't know about prototype, but that game is dead for a reason.

Moze

Banned
Yup. Its really annoying. Makes pretty much all battles the same and its not that fun. Go in shoot a bit run away. Repeat.

I agree with this. I actually didn't have this much of a problem with the first 2 infamous games.

I would much rather have a cover system than constantly having to run down the street every 15 seconds. I would rather them just tone down the enemies a bit though.

I also have trouble finding a power source sometimes, which can get annoying.

From what i have played, this is the worst infamous game.

Pretty sure it's broken right now. Right click to view source code and there will be a 6 digit code in there. The drone codes are unique for each player. Or wait for SP to fix it.

Well that's one way to do it, but it ruins the puzzle. You can deduce it in the amount of tries you get. The drone code isn't just unique per player, it's randomized when you click on the drone.

Top Bottom