• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Radiant Sweep

o_O

I am amazed.

Lol.

My wife loves the Radiant Sweep. Every time I do it, she's like, "That is so fucking awesome." It's her favorite out of the Karma Bombs, but she really likes the Orbital Drop as well.

I hung out with my buddy yesterday, and he finally sat down to really play the game some more, and got to Neon. When he did see the Radiant Sweep for the first time, he literally did the Banderas, and he has no idea what the fucking Banderas is. That just made it even more satisfying. LOL.

Ark

Your health is just a bit lower, very doable. Just like hard mode of the previous Infamous games.

Not much different to Normal. You're noticeably squishier but you're not made of paper. Though looking at this Paper Trail missions, I wish I was.

Grimløck;105631187 said:
it's a lot easier because: you're more familiar with the mechanics; the enemies aren't that much harder; and being evil means unadulterated violence with no repercussions.

Fantastic, I'll get on that this week then. Thanks :)

What's the game like on expert mode?
I find myself needing to stay a *lot* more mobile, prioritize my targets and mix up my powers more.

I've had to redo some set-piece battles more than a few times so far, but its just forced me to get better really. Playing evil also means that I tend to create a long line of destruction rather than focusing on specific targets as I did when Good. The more a swathe of destruction you can unleash as Evil the more combo you build up which means more opportunities to use your super moves. Its not uncommon for me to break out the big stuff two or three times in a single running battle.

And God damn is that fun :)

Ntsouls

Banned
Nope. Crackdown you had to clear out zones which is essential the same thing you're doing here so I don't see the difference. Saints row had more to do, but this game is trying to set a story and have the side quests fit in. Saints row doesn't give a fuck about any of that so they can basically add anything. It doesn't need to make sense in SR4, it needs to make sense in Infamous..

Lastly... If I'm a superhero WHY THE FUCK DO I WANNA FLY OR DRIVE? Crackdown had more powers? I don't think your remembering crackdown correctly. U had guns not powers. Agility orbs was the closest thing to a power. SR4 u have like 8 powers, but those powers are your moves. SS has more... A lot more

It seems to me you prefer reality based open world games and not fantastical ones. We all have our preferences

They both had online co op.

Crackdown gave you less story and less side missions. As for powers. YEah I guess that is true. You had Car. Power. Shooting. And that was it i suppose. But Crackdown came out in like...2006 or 2007. Infamous came out 2013 and doesnt seem to do much more.

Cars and guns? Its not about using them. Its about CAN you.

Its not like im going very fast to begin with, nor are my powers very powerful. I'm essentially KILLING everyone with smoke bombs. Why cant i just shoot them in the head then? Or run them down with my car?

Yeah I guess youre right. Crackdown didnt do as much. But it did more at the time than this does now. Meaning...inflation of technology makes this less impressive.

This game is too much lacking in things to do by its omission of weapons or vehicles or co op.
Very easily you could have had a second player play the brother. Use weapons and drive cars, and level up your abilities to shoot or drive.

I duno. This game seems so ...7ish. Like it FEELs like a solid 7. It doesnt make me want to ever pick it up again. Nor does it make me want to buy it or buy DLC for it.

Its too black and white. Too unspectacular.

Kydd BlaZe

Is anyone else getting the corrupt disck/hard disk message upon booting the game up? This game won't run for me at all. Can't even get past the initial loading screen.

Fucking frustrating...

I find myself needing to stay a *lot* more mobile, prioritize my targets and mix up my powers more.

I've had to redo some set-piece battles more than a few times so far, but its just forced me to get better really. Playing evil also means that I tend to create a long line of destruction rather than focusing on specific targets as I did when Good. The more a swathe of destruction you can unleash as Evil the more combo you build up which means more opportunities to use your super moves. Its not uncommon for me to break out the big stuff two or three times in a single running battle.

And God damn is that fun :)

It wasn't until I got to Seattle that I found the difficulty option. Changed it to expert in my first playthrough but didn't get the trophy

Playing through it for a second time on expert. I wonder what normal is like

I thought crackdown was 10x more fun than this so far- more importantly, progression felt natural and earned. I dunno, progression in this game is weird. Its like POWER AND NOW FIND THE CONDUITS AND BOOM.

Its going for something different, which is fine, but a lot of it seems like missed opportunity to me.

I Agree with u there. The story isn't much. But at least it isn't obtrusive and so bad it takes away from the gameplay. The whole story progression is bad to me and they missed a major opportunity. I love the game but I can see its flaws. 8/10

Balphon

Is anyone else getting the corrupt disck/hard disk message upon booting the game up? This game won't run for me at all. Can't even get past the initial loading screen.

Fucking frustrating...

I got it once, but I just wiped the disc off and it was fine. Can you hear the disc spinning up over and over?

vypek

My favourite bit is when you call the DUP after tagging a billboard for a showdown.

Lol, I like that too. Kinda wish Delsin and the woman ended up with a stronger rapport by the end.

Everyone catch the Sly Easter egg at the playground in the 2nd district? Tres cute.

Yeah, the cute drawings on the playground. There are a few neon Sly signs around. Marquees talking about his arrest. The Sly 4 theme as Delsin's ringtone. Also "Panda King Gas" and "Cooper and McGrath" buildings.

def sim

Right. Just showing the only part it happens. They run like chickens at every other point in the game. :(

Ah. Playing a hero run would be difficult if they helped out. At least in a cognitive dissonance kind of way.

Poor duders would be flying left and right. :(

Mix

I just finished the story with good karma, and I completed both parts of the Cole's Legacy DLC and I can't seem to get Cole's jacket to work... Help?

Arrrammis

Right. Just showing the only part it happens. They run like chickens at every other point in the game. :(

And I'm glad they do when I'm playing as a Hero and don't want to completely destroy my karma streak by killing more civilians than DUP's with my karma bomb. As it is, I take down one DUP guys, the civilians panic and run away, then I bomb the DUP. I think it works well.

taoofjord

After finishing it, my impressions:

- The graphics, IQ, insane texture quality, and attention to detail are just amazing. The quantity of unique buildings, signs and other assets are ASTOUNDING, especially so when you compare it to something like Assassin's Creed. There are a TON of tiny details that I'm sure most people will never realize.

Some examples: Check out the pedestrian crosswalk sign to see that that it's not one texture with some glow at its center. Each dot is individually glowing!

The side mirrors on damaged cars are cracked and instead of just being a low resolution texture it's high res and the cracks are bump-mapped (and it looks good)

The list goes on and on and on. Truly impressive stuff and I have no idea how they managed it on a team that was no doubt a lot smaller than the average size of a team making an open world city.

- On the whole, the game feels like Sucker Punch cut a lot of corners to get it out early. Strange pacing, seemingly missing plot lines, and jarring transitions during the campaign. Underbaked mission design. Bland side missions. A lack of unique areas for the campaign levels (I'd have liked to see you go inside buildings and structures during certain missions as long as they were mostly wide open and not limiting your ability to use your powers). There are some really awful parts to the game, too. I'd imagine that their next game will fix most of this if they decide to make another one.

- Combat is fun, for the most part, although you have to make it fun by being creative and avoiding cheesing them from far away. That said, the enemy AI is pretty decent. There are certainly some really cool things you can do by combining your attacks and traversal powers.

- Dialogue was quite bad in parts even though some of the voice actors were great (delsin, his brother, the villain). Some of the other characters had some terrible accents.

btkadams

I just finished the story with good karma, and I completed both parts of the Cole's Legacy DLC and I can't seem to get Cole's jacket to work... Help?

what do you mean by both parts of cole's legacy dlc (i remember it being more than 2 missions)? did a pop-up say you had unlocked his jacket? in the pause menu, go to the section about delsin's personality and use left/right on the d-pad to change jackets.

shakey

Neo Member
So End Game.... What's coming next?

The game itself is very short. I've just completed both Evil and Good plays.

Is there a way to enable Night Time or a day cycle?
What DLC do we have to look forward to that will let us keep enjoying this game?
Any FarCry 3 method to reset DUP control?

It saddens me greatly though to not have any time cycles. This game looks amazing when it's wet and dark, yet end game all we get is Noon time.

Kyoufu

So End Game.... What's coming next?

The game itself is very short. I've just completed both Evil and Good plays.

Is there a way to enable Night Time or a day cycle?
What DLC do we have to look forward to that will let us keep enjoying this game?
Any FarCry 3 method to reset DUP control?

It saddens me greatly though to not have any time cycles. This game looks amazing when it's wet and dark, yet end game all we get is Noon time.

Apparently the DLC they're working on is similar in scope to Festival of Blood, which was very good.

You can clear some DUP raids in the end game and those Paper Trails missions for now I suppose.

shakey

Neo Member
Apparently the DLC they're working on is similar in scope to Festival of Blood, which was very good.

You can clear some DUP raids in the end game and those Paper Trails missions for now I suppose.

I read about the DLC part, but was hoping for some quicker little additions. Why they left out UGC from this is beyond me. Even the dumbest of missions would be pretty fun I'd think. This game is just a blast to romp through.

The Paper Trail missions are very neat, and I sure hope they give us the power at the end of all of this. But then again, what use is the Paper Power if we have nothing original to really use it on?

I think Sucker Punch could of done with a little extra time to come up with more variety in the enemies. I would of loved to of seen the DUP being all hulked up with various abilities given to them by the government. Fighting against enemies with a wide range of different powers would of been interesting. It seems rock (?) is the only ability any of the DUP has and only recently have I seen a new move from them
now they create platforms up against buildings to snipe me from, and will jump to another building to create another platform on if I begin attacking

I am also not seeing any " race " type side missions either. Which is a little disappointing considering how insanely fun travelling in this game is. Really, has to be the most fun I've ever had moving around in an open world game.

Kyoufu

I read about the DLC part, but was hoping for some quicker little additions. Why they left out UGC from this is beyond me. Even the dumbest of missions would be pretty fun I'd think. This game is just a blast to romp through.

The Paper Trail missions are very neat, and I sure hope they give us the power at the end of all of this. But then again, what use is the Paper Power if we have nothing original to really use it on?

The game needs a New Game+. I'd play the game again with Paper from the start.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The game needs a New Game+. I'd play the game again with Paper from the start.

There's not a new game +?

I just completed Good at 100%. For bad play through, I just start a new game?

Will it have saved my paper trail progress? Or do I start that over too?

jKIsOt81GGB7m.jpg

Enjoyed every second.

SilentFlyer

One question though, anyone have trouble using the Paper Trail site? I've get a "You're not authorized to view this content" warning, I have a feeling it might have to do with me being overseas... (Latin America)

I'm not sure about that. I've been able to sign-up and complete Paper Trail Part 1 and I live in Saudi Arabia. Maybe try any VPN and see if that works?

SilentFlyer

I manually saved Good and Evil playthrough on two slots. Ao If you save you current progress manually it will remain.

shakey

Neo Member

All your jackets should remain, but everything else will be reset. I haven't checked on my paper trail 2nd play through, so no clue on if that remains or resets.

Another gripe.... Whether you play Good or Evil, the only difference in the story, besides the ending animations, are a few different lines and a slightly different mission after obtaining a new power. Was a let down as I was expecting a much more varied and branched out story depending on your moral choices.

def sim

I cant even say what my favorite power is. They are all amazing.

Smoke is easily my favorite. I'm a sucker for particle and alpha transparency effects, I guess. I always went back to it any chance I had.

If only it had one more air dash or the vehicle jump perk shot higher, I would have found it perfect.

If only it had one more air dash or the vehicle jump perk shot higher, I would have found it perfect.
The trick is to make the best use of the rooftop vents/fans to bound between buildings - and at that height you can use a mix of timed boosts and hovers to cross even large open areas to the rooftops beyond.

I didn't make as much use out of them in my first playthrough, but now that I'm a second run and just running around and exploring the city a lot more I've come to rely upon those most of the time, and its just made me respect the city's design that much more.

def sim

The trick is to make the best use of the rooftop vents/fans to bound between buildings - and at that height you can use a mix of timed boosts and hovers to cross even large open areas to the rooftops beyond.

I didn't make as much use out of them in my first playthrough, but now that I'm a second run and just running around and exploring the city a lot more I've come to rely upon those most of the time, and its just made me respect the city's design that much more.

Oh yeah, it's totally viable as it is now. I'd just like it more if I were able to comet smash straight down to a car and shoot back up, especially in the second island. Saving a dash and hovering towards the next rooftop vent to recharge and lift off is a part of its charm, but traversal is significantly slower compared to the other powers. I'd be more willing to accept that trade off for some more variety for smoke, I guess?

So I finally get the game today from gamefly, put it in and install it, then my ps4 beeps twice and shuts off. Unplugged it and plugged it back in, ejected the disk, then it was working for a bit only to do the same thing lol. Anybody have this issue? Might as well contact Sony or something.

I'm not sure about that. I've been able to sign-up and complete Paper Trail Part 1 and I live in Saudi Arabia. Maybe try any VPN and see if that works?

Didn't get in through a US VPN either, but gave it a shot on Tor and am currently signing up ¯\ _(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom