• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Ricky_R

I've thought of it as him being the second son after Reggie, but that seemed much too weak to be it.

Seriously though, since I haven't gotten anything about it from the game so far, I assumed it meant the "Second Son" as in the black sheep, the rebel, the one that's doing nothing productive with his life, etc.

todahawk

Playing through on Evil after doing a Hero run... man do I feel like a diiiiiick.

Same here and just started but i love it. So much easier going for headshots, I'll have level 5 evil karma in no time. i'm fucking everyone up. chasing civilians, not being careful with my shots. release suspects? hahahaha, nope i'll just level the entire cage

Hoodbury

Ugh, been loving the game up until what I did last night. Got to the third power boss and maybe because I was tired and it's been a long week but that was such a drag. It wasn't fun and just frustrated me. Now I don't know if I want to do a second playthrough on expert as I'm only playing on Normal right now.

I haven't had any problems with difficulties as of yet but for some reason this fight just hit me hard the wrong way. Now I'm worried about what the final fight will be like if it's even worse or harder.

Anyone else have problems with this fight?

Add on to that after I got done playing and beat the boss and then got all the new skills for the third power when I turned the game off for the night and stood up I was super dizzy. Like being drunk dizzy where things are spinning. I got upstairs and started brushing my teeth and it got better but then when I laid down in bed things started spinning again.

It's not like I was playing for very long either, only around 2 hours. I don't know if it was that boss fight and how tense it was making me or if it's something to do with the visual effects of the third power.

Anyone have any problems getting dizzy after playing this game?

The_Monk

My good fellow GAFfers, I managed to get inFAMOUS and I can't wait to start it very soon.

Just one question, I would like to achieve 100% in this game since from what I've seen it's amazing so what should be the best approach? Bare in my I almost never do this for any game:

- Should I start on hard while playing good or bad, do the main story, collect everything and then restart from scratch while playing the other side and finish the main story again?

Should I clear everything before or after beating one side of the main story?

Thank you very much in advance. :)

The Paper Trail stuff is really cool, and I love how they make you do stuff on your computer before continuing in game. Really well done. I just hope it leads to a new power, which I believe it will!

Because of that I am going to hold off on my evil playthrough until the 6 week campaign is over and hopefully use the power from that in my evil playthrough.

IKizzLE

How exactly does L1 give you infinite karma bombs? You can only subdue 2 enemies at a time with it. Compare that to neon where you can easily just take anyone out at range constantly with your slo mo ability to build up your karmic bomb super quick. Also the karmic bomb is better with neon. Health recovery from range with neon as well.
The difference between the l1 of of the third power and the rest is the fact that u can get karma bombs without sustaining any damage. That's a big advantage.

My good fellow GAFfers, I managed to get inFAMOUS and I can't wait to start it very soon.

Just one question, I would like to achieve 100% in this game since from what I've seen it's amazing so what should be the best approach? Bare in my I almost never do this for any game:

- Should I start on hard while playing good or bad, do the main story, collect everything and then restart from scratch while playing the other side and finish the main story again?

That's basically what I did, started on Expert doing a 'Good' play-through, collected all the little bits and then do an Evil one. Though, I'm still collecting and the like, I find myself just messing around for ages even though I thought I'd just rush through and get the trophies.

The difference between the l1 of of the third power and the rest is the fact that u can get karma bombs without sustaining any damage. That's a big advantage.

Sustaining damage is completely trivial with Good Karma Neon. You regenerate every time you take down an enemy anyway, because you're able to Subdue all-day err-day, even at long range. It's basically completely game-breaking for everything except boss fights. You can literally run through the middle of packs of enemies popping one, dashing to a better position, popping another, rinse-repeat ad naseum until everything is wrapped up in neon.

On Evil Karma you can't really do it effectively, though - getting regeneration off Evil powers is much harder - and the third power becomes much more viable as a result, even without all the extra upgrades you get for being Evil. Good Neon is basically just God Mode.

I did my first run in Normal(big mistake) Good Karma and did all the side missions and shards hunting first before I even did the actual missions. And then, I did Expert going for the Bad Karma and barley any Hunting at all. I was already lvl 5 by the third mission of the second part. The only Trophy I needed to get was the Story related ones, that's it. All those achievements that required a certain action I did on my first my play through. I suggest go expert on Evil Karma(to get those trophies that required you to kill)And manually save, so you can get both trophies when it comes to choices. And then do Good Karma. The shards get really easy to hunt once you get the Neon powers and you maxed out the dash. Is the only power that doesn't run out when used. And don't get all the shards right away(Unless you want to) I almost burned myself out doing that, lol. Save a few for last so you can have fun before going for the Comet Drop trophy. Because you can only get that one after you beat the game.

The_Monk

That's basically what I did, started on Expert doing a 'Good' play-through, collected all the little bits and then do an Evil one. Though, I'm still collecting and the like, I find myself just messing around for ages even though I thought I'd just rush through and get the trophies.

I did my first run in Normal(big mistake) Good Karma and did all the side missions and shards hunting first before I even did the actual missions. And then, I did Expert going for the Bad Karma and barley any Hunting at all. I was already lvl 5 by the third mission of the second part. The only Trophy I needed to get was the Story related ones, that's it. All those achievements that required a certain action I did on my first my play through. I suggest go expert on Evil Karma(to get those trophies that required you to kill)And manually save, so you can get both trophies when it comes to choices. And then do Good Karma. The shards get really easy to hunt once you get the Neon powers and you maxed out the dash. Is the only power that doesn't run out when used. And don't get all the shards right away(Unless you want to) I almost burned myself out doing that, lol. Save a few for last so you can have fun before going for the Comet Drop trophy. Because you can only get that one after you beat the game.

Really good advice. Thank you both for your time and for explaining this to me my good GAFfers! :)

Violater

Guys I started the ending mission
going across with hank
and now the side missions are locked out.
Can I go back and complete those when I am done?

Just finished the game and I gotta say that I'm disappointed =( Graphics were insane and I really liked the art style etc. but this was a real letdown on every other areas compared to InFamous 1&2. I chose to be a Hero but I never felt myself being powerful or godlike. Having many different powers just felt like a chore because I couldn't just swap between them anytime I wanted. Every encounter with enemies just came to a halt when I had to run somewhere farther to recharge Neon for example. None of those powers had any regular attacks which I could use to blast everything around me to bits. I loved to jump down from a building in InFamous 2 while throwing grenades and shooting massive rockets to fuck everything up or climbing up to a building and using those Blasts to throw enemies down. Those were the times when I felt like a superhero. Now we have grenades that'll just make the enemies
cough
, seriously?

Characters were dull and the story pretty meh. Though I'm curious to see how things change when I take the evil round next time around. Bosses were super easy and boring too. I'm not saying it's a bad game but SP's taken a couple of steps backwards with Second Son. I really hope that InFamous 4: has just one main power, no "heavy ammos" and a XP based upgrade system. Using shards to power up was stupid.

I love this game but really miss the platforming sections that were prevalent in the first game. My brother has been playing infamous 1 and while I love their recreation of Seattle, it doesn't exactly allow for the most exciting set pieces or platforming.

Nuke Soda

Beat both good and evil playthroughs. That evil ending is actually evil. I even got the platinum trophy, so I'm done with this game for a while I guess.

aro52

Like all inFamous games, I start with a Normal Good playthrough to learn the world and enjoy the story, doing all the side and collectible stuff, and then follow up with an Expert Evil playthrough. Knowing the game, and not worrying about side stuff makes it a quick, fairly easy second play.

It sucks that there's no night and day cycles w/weather changes while you free roam the city.

It would be sweet as a post-game bonus to, either give the player an option to set the time of day, or to have the game auto run through the different times of day.

- J - D -

Started a couple days ago. I'm having a hell of a time, but the one side mission involving identifying a covert DUP agent and then subsequently chasing him down was the most drawn out, annoying thing ever.

shakey

Neo Member
First PS game I ever got Plat for. Here are my impressions and guidance...

1st play through I went Evil (Normal). This ended up being my main go to save for getting about 90% of the trophies/collectibles. Evil made a lot of things easy, as you could really just rampage with little to no penalties. But the problem with Evil is that you have to kill your foes, which for certain situations can be a problem. This helped build up tactics, but fights could take a bit if I wasn't using the powers correctly. Very easy though to build up your Karma Bomb and finish everything else off once you got it.

2nd play through as Good (Expert). Expert didn't seem tough at all. I don't know if it is because Good is easy to subdue enemies, or if it was due to the fact that I had the gameplay down after my 1st play-through, but I died less and finished the game quicker this way. Being Good has so many easy to use finishers for all the powers, that it made all fights a breeze. Karma Bombs took longer to obtain,
until you get video
, but never felt needed, like they were for my Evil play through.
( I had also waited until I was in the tribes hut talking to Betty after the 1st moral choice to switch to Expert, and the game still counted it )

Evil End Game Lighting = Dusk time. Everything has this sort of dark red glow to it. Looks neat, but gets dull after a bit.
Good Ending Game Lighting = Noon time. Really love the lighting with this end game. Everything really pops and shines.

I'm torn between which save to play now. I 100% Evil, and only 80% Good. My Evil Delsin is stronger and I like the "evil" color for all the powers more, along side with liking the evil powers themselves more. But the Good Lighting end game is just amazing looking, and I want to play in that playground more due to it.

SP, Give us ways to change the lighting and a way to reset DUP locations/structures.

It sucks that there's no night and day cycles w/weather changes while you free roam the city.
I agree. They should just fast forward time progression or whatever when you get to a mission where they want it to be a specific time of day/weather. It's not like this is Dead Rising or another game where the passage of time is relevant to the story and gameplay.

Hopefully they'll patch in time of day cycling for when you finish the game, at least.

Moosichu

Fuck just listened to podcast beyond and you can tell that Colin is super salty about
lack of Cole
like I am, I am still so salty about that.
it just felt like Second Son's story really didnt have much of an impact in the universe, it felt like a spinoff and I still am thirsty for Infamous 3 after Sucker Punch's next game which should be a new I.P.

The spoilercast thats coming should be good

Kuldar

Fuck just listened to podcast beyond and you can tell that Colin is super salty about
lack of Cole
like I am, I am still so salty about that.
it just felt like Second Son's story really didnt have much of an impact in the universe, it felt like a spinoff and I still am thirsty for Infamous 3 after Sucker Punch's next game which should be a new I.P.

The spoilercast thats coming should be good
Well
Cole is dead
, thus it would be hard to have him.

Beat it yesterday. Great overall, I'd say the reviews were fair if not a little lowish. Just getting a little too samey with the infamous games, they need to mix things up.

Just a fucking tech powerhouse though, love playing with it.

Started a couple days ago. I'm having a hell of a time, but the one side mission involving identifying a covert DUP agent and then subsequently chasing him down was the most drawn out, annoying thing ever.

This will piss you off to learn, but
you just need to shoot him once. At any point.
So those mission are doable in about 30 seconds.

Kuldar

You can shoot the agent before he moves. Most of the time you can recognize him before being too close.

If Good: switch to Neon, use the slow time on zoom to LOL-EZ hit him while he's being cheeky and concrete-teleporting around. (Hey Sucker Punch, why are the concrete powers non-Prime scrub DUP agents get so much more interesting, anyway?)

If Evil: ID him at long range, lob a Cinder Missile at him. Bonus: you'll probably blow up a few civvies in the process. Or don't even bother to ID him, just lob Cinder Missiles everywhere because reasons.

Nuke Soda

For one of the endgame evil choices
when you are strangling Hank they should have totally had the player hold R2 the strangle button.

shakey

Neo Member
You can shoot the agent before he moves. Most of the time you can recognize him before being too close.

9/10 times the guy is leaning against a wall facing you.. the other 1/10 times he's just standing in the wide open... facing you. At least that was how it seemed for me. Was always really easy to spot and take them out before they even ran.

Grimsen

Guys, skip Shakey's post above. Pretty sure he's being an asshole and spoiling shit.

Fuuuck you, man.

EDIT: His second post above.

Namikaze1

I feel bad for the operator Delsin calls to initiate a District Showdown.
I was hoping she would come out with like four helicopters and a bunch of those tank-like enemies once you initiate the last District Showdown.

JayEH

Hey guys quick question regarding a second playthrough on expert. How do I ensure that I'm "starting" the game on expert. Since there's no start screen per se and there's only an option in the pause screen, how will I know that the game knows I've started the game on expert.

As soon as I start a new game should I just immediately pause and change the difficulty? Hope this doesn't seem too trivial but thanks in advance.

shakey

Neo Member
Guys, skip Shakey's post above. Pretty sure he's being an asshole and spoiling shit.

Fuuuck you, man.

EDIT: His second post above.

Sorry, I'm sort of new to the forum here and not sure how to add the spoilers... and also not sure what was exactly spoiled, as I tried to be as undetailed about things as possible. But which part should I put into the spoiler brackets, and how do I do that exactly?

Again, sorry, not trying to be a dick.

Edit - Found how to add it... Think I added it to the correct part that you might of found spoilery.... Let me know if it should be anything else.

murgo

Hey guys quick question regarding a second playthrough on expert. How do I ensure that I'm "starting" the game on expert. Since there's no start screen per se and there's only an option in the pause screen, how will I know that the game knows I've started the game on expert.

As soon as I start a new game should I just immediately pause and change the difficulty? Hope this doesn't seem too trivial but thanks in advance.

What I did is start a new game, set it to Expert the second I got to control Delsin and then start a new game again. It'll still be on Expert and yeah..

I feel bad for the operator Delsin calls to initiate a District Showdown.
I was hoping she would come out with like four helicopters and a bunch of those tank-like enemies once you initiate the last District Showdown.

Definitely a missed opportunity. I thought they'd at least have some more interaction for the last couple showdowns but they never did anything different.

KORNdoggy

Start a new game, and when able, pause the game and change the difficulty. Then start a new game again and you'll be set.

shakey

Neo Member

I believe as long as you set it to Expert before you cross the bridge into Seattle, you are safe.

Easiest way to make sure, after you get to Seattle, save the game. Then go to "Load Game" and see if it says Expert to the side of your save. If so, it worked. If not, you must restart.

Grimsen

Sorry, I'm sort of new to the forum here and not sure how to add the spoilers... and also not sure what was exactly spoiled, as I tried to be as undetailed about things as possible. But which part should I put into the spoiler brackets, and how do I do that exactly?

Again, sorry, not trying to be a dick.

I'm pretty sure you spoiled a power beyond what was shown in the promos. Don't talk about shit that's beyond smoke and neon.

If you want to talk about that stuff, take it to the spoiler thread.

- J - D -

Beat it yesterday. Great overall, I'd say the reviews were fair if not a little lowish. Just getting a little too samey with the infamous games, they need to mix things up.

Just a fucking tech powerhouse though, love playing with it.

This will piss you off to learn, but
you just need to shoot him once. At any point.
So those mission are doable in about 30 seconds.

Goddammit. You're, right, learning that does indeed piss me off. But thank you.

Thanks!

If Good: switch to Neon, use the slow time on zoom to LOL-EZ hit him while he's being cheeky and concrete-teleporting around. (Hey Sucker Punch, why are the concrete powers non-Prime scrub DUP agents get so much more interesting, anyway?)

If Evil: ID him at long range, lob a Cinder Missile at him. Bonus: you'll probably blow up a few civvies in the process. Or don't even bother to ID him, just lob Cinder Missiles everywhere because reasons.

I only had the smoke powers at the time and haven't tried that side mission type again since. I have the neon powers now and hopefully it'll be easier.

shakey

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure you spoiled a power beyond what was shown in the promos. Don't talk about shit that's beyond smoke and neon.

If you want to talk about that stuff, take it to the spoiler thread.

I did start it off by saying I completed the game and here are my impressions... If you are that adamant about not having anything spoiled, that sentence alone should have told you to not read any further really. Again, sorry, but let's be respectful. This is the OT, we can talk about all the topics related to this.

Violater

Does anyone have the OG Pulse headset and which in game audio setting do you use?
I notice some sounds that come through when I am playing through the TV not play on the headset.

Grimsen

I did start it off by saying I completed the game and here are my impressions... If you are that adamant about not having anything spoiled, that sentence alone should have told you to not read any further really. Again, sorry, but let's be respectful. This is the OT, we can talk about all the topics related to this.

This is not the thread for you then. Please take your impressions to the spoiler thread.

The fact that you're defending this is mind boggling. Hopefully you won't do too much damage before you change your ways (or get banned).

Much preferred Infamous 1 and 2's more serious, quiet, main character. I don't like the unfunny, bad sitcom jokes the new guy throws out. If they wanted to try a funny character they should of had the woman who wrote Uncharted give them a lesson on how to pull off one-liners without being corny.

Top Bottom