• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

shakey

Neo Member
This is not the thread for you then. Please take your impressions to the spoiler thread.

The fact that you're defending this is mind boggling. Hopefully you won't do too much damage before you change your ways (or get banned).

Stop the harassment already. If someone missing 1 word in a spoiler tag makes you this angry to derail the topic, you shouldn't be reading about the game yet. Especially when people start their post off telling you what they are going to be discussing. It was fixed, get over it, back on topic.

shakey

Neo Member
Much preferred Infamous 1 and 2's more serious, quiet, main character. I don't like the unfunny, bad sitcom jokes the new guy throws out. If they wanted to try a funny character they should of had the woman who wrote Uncharted give them a lesson on how to pull off one-liners without being corny.

A lot of the 1 liners from this reminded me a lot of the series Archer. I sort of wanted to hear Jon Benjamin in place of Troy.

Moosichu

Well
Cole is dead
, thus it would be hard to have him.
Watch the good ending of infamous 2 again...
a flash of thunder strikes cole's dead body forming a giant question mark in the sky. It would actually be a retcon if they decided he was actually dead now.

JCX

A lot of the 1 liners from this reminded me a lot of the series Archer. I sort of wanted to hear Jon Benjamin in place of Troy.

Yes! Thought the same thing, especially when he was talking to
video game conduit who reminded me of Cyril

Speaking of, whenever I use the
angel/demon summoning powers, I think "High fiving a million angels" from 30 Rock

Well just got past "Eugene", having a great time of it so far. Baffled by the "ho hum" reviews this game received, but then Im not playing it with a checklist of things other open world games do and stupidly demanding that they be in Infamous.
My one complaint is the controls can sometimes feel cumbersome when you have to navigate a really small area. But other than that, the game is awesome. Challenging combat, a cool assortment of powers, gorgeous visuals, and a well acted story

shakey

Neo Member
a flash of thunder strikes cole's dead body forming a giant question mark in the sky. It would actually be a retcon if they decided he was actually dead now.

That's how I've thought about it this whole time. Either ending from I2,
Cole should be "alive" in some form.

Kuldar

I remember pretty well the good ending of infamous 2 and
it would not be a retcon. We can think he's not dead. But it's not a confirmation that he's alive.
And Nate Fox and Brian Fleming said multiple times that Cole is dead.

shakey

Neo Member
I remember pretty well the good ending of infamous 2 and
it would not be a retcon. We can think he's not dead. But it's not a confirmation that he's alive.

I:SS:2 -
Cole's back as Zeus!
I hope they do find some way to put Cole back into the universe, and as something more than just a memory.

Lets talk about what we would love to see in a patch!

-30fps lock
-Time of day selector or dynamic day/night cycle
-Cheats menu or cheats at all (I haven't been able to find any, being able to mess around with gravity or the physics in these types of games is always fun)
-Better sound options (7.1 pleeeaaaaase!)
-Reset the map after 100%
-Or based on the above selection, an actual New Game+ mode

shakey

Neo Member
Lets talk about what we would love to see in a patch!

-30fps lock
-Time of day selector or dynamic day/night cycle
-Cheats menu or cheats at all (I haven't been able to find any, being able to mess around with gravity or the physics in these types of games is always fun)
-Better sound options (7.1 pleeeaaaaase!)
-Reset the map after 100%
-Or based on the above selection, an actual New Game+ mode

-30fps lock ( Not that important as the game runs smoothly during any part you actually control, but I could see how some would enjoy it.
-Time of day selector or dynamic day/night cycle ( Most Important aspect I believe )
-Cheats menu or cheats at all (I haven't been able to find any, being able to mess around with gravity or the physics in these types of games is always fun) ( Or if they could add in a UGC mode again, so we can make it do as we please )
-Better sound options (7.1 pleeeaaaaase!) (YES)
-Reset the map after 100% ( 2nd most important aspect )
-Or based on the above selection, an actual New Game+ mode ( Would be broken by the use of all powers too early on. I believe either speedy DLC or UGC would solve this need. )

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm sure this has been answered, but I've completed this game three times, platinumed it, and I still don't know why it's called Second Son?

I was wondering that aloud myself, and my wife suggested that it's possible it's because Delsin is the younger brother, the second son, and also that the First Sons were the original conduits that were inFAMOUS 2 good ending spoilers
wiped out at the end of inFAMOUS 2 by Cole and the relay device
, and Delsin and the other conduits are a resurgence of that gene, the second sons of the original conduits. That explanation works for me.

murgo

Platinumed this baby today. Now I'm a bit sad because nothing left to do in the game.

I-know-that-feel.jpg

I love this game but really miss the platforming sections that were prevalent in the first game. My brother has been playing infamous 1 and while I love their recreation of Seattle, it doesn't exactly allow for the most exciting set pieces or platforming.

I agree. I loved the first Infamous game.

They gave us a small open world with several specifically designed platforming/combat set pieces/structures, like the prison, the junk tower, the port/container fortress, the bridge, the sewer...

All those levels within the open world made IF stand out, and add the powers, the comic book feel, the depressing atmosphere, the solid story and you had a nice game.

IF2 cut those platforming set pieces/structures and gave us "just" another small open world, more powers and the mssions were all about combat here, combat there. The only platforming you did in this game were to traverse the map.

Second son continues this trend to cut even more platforming (you don`t even need it for traversal anymore) and is giving us a main story that is ultra short and overall a game that is lacking in depth and content.

Infamaous games don`t need GTA like sidemissions, but it needs a meaty main mission campaign with some specifically designed platforming/combat set pieces/structures.

Its still fun to play, because the mechanics are good but in the end inFamous is dangerously coming close to become a very shallow IP that lacks depth and good mission/level design.

Its like Sucker Punch thinks powers, a small open world, some generic combat missions and we are done.

They delivered with the engine and produced a great looking game, but on the gameplay front they made several steps backwards and left me disappointed.

-30fps lock ( Not that important as the game runs smoothly during any part you actually control, but I could see how some would enjoy it.
-Time of day selector or dynamic day/night cycle ( Most Important aspect I believe )
-Cheats menu or cheats at all (I haven't been able to find any, being able to mess around with gravity or the physics in these types of games is always fun) ( Or if they could add in a UGC mode again, so we can make it do as we please )
-Better sound options (7.1 pleeeaaaaase!) (YES)
-Reset the map after 100% ( 2nd most important aspect )
-Or based on the above selection, an actual New Game+ mode ( Would be broken by the use of all powers too early on. I believe either speedy DLC or UGC would solve this need. )

The 30fps lock you mention, if they add it on a patch it MUST be an OPTION not mandatory.
The rest of the things you list for the game would be very welcome.

In my opinion though they MUST add 2 things:

1- Give us the option to hide the HUD of the game.

2- This is a preference of mine but I'd like that the aim pointer wouldn't show except when you are in battle with enemies.

The_Monk

Started it today and this game looks great, I'm so happy so far with the start of this gen. :)

Playing as a Hero and I killed one of those drug dealers when he tried to surrender. To keep myself on the good side can I make one of these mistakes every now and then as long it's not often?

Nuke Soda

Started it today and this game looks great, I'm so happy so far with the start of this gen. :)

Playing as a Hero and I killed one of those drug dealers when he tried to surrender. To keep myself on the good side can I make one of these mistakes every now and then as long it's not often?

Yes, I killed more than a few civilians as a hero and it didn't affect me. Just do a lot of good stuff.

Grisby

Paper trail stuff is neat. Don't know if I'm gonna log in every week though. Might just wait until it is all released.

Would have made a cool side mission for the full game (to have it all unlocked at once). They probably needed something to hold off on the trade ins.

Some pics I caught the other day. I wish someone could control the second dualshock to press the share button while you play. Fix this shit Guerilla. (I should probably tweet this idea to someone. Can't think of a better way to use the second DualShock on single player games. Set it to capture only. No menu functionality so as to not interrupt your gaming).

Anyway enjoy

20140327143336.jpg

20140327143322.jpg

20140327143311.jpg

20140327143304.jpg

20140327143257.jpg

Location / "Boss" Spoiler
20140325010855.jpg

Location / "Boss" Spoilers
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqq7yypq0pwxxky/20140325010850.jpg

20140325010845.jpg

Story / Final Boss Spoilers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jz31aeeke6p97g4/20140325010839.jpg

20140325010834.jpg

20140325010828.jpg

Edit: these are on DropBox. Are those viewable to you?

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I just finished this, it was very enjoyable but i think there are some areas where I preferred the first two.

They handed everything to me on a plate far too early, yes I did feel powerful, but i felt very little achievement for that power. Even with the Initial smoke power getting to the top of a building was far too easy, once I unlocked the neon running traversal boiled down to facing the direction I wanted to go and pressing the run button. It didn't feel engaging enough (especially compared to crackdown, or even coles hopping from wire to wire across the city).

The combat feels very stripped back. Not that streamlining is bad in itself, but the wealth of Coles moves in 1+2 outshines the all too vaguely similar powers in this. I missed things like polarity shield, tagging enemies for homing missiles when your shot had missed, and reflecting rockets back at the enemies. Not that I didn't enjoy combat in this it just felt very shallow and unrewarding by comparison.

Are there some half finished moves in this too? with the neon powers if you press run and melee together Delsin does a clap motion and a shield like effect shoots out in front of him. if you do ti near enemies normal melee overrides it and i can only seem to use it on civilians. Is it explained somewhere?

I don't want to be too negative, the game is fun and the mechanics are good and just kind of wish more of the complexity carried over.

FeiRR

Banned

I have to say I didn't enjoy the evil ending at all. But wrecking the city is a lot of fun. Also those nice touches when you play good (blue) and evil (red). Not only power colours change but also also clothes, graffiti, etc.

reminder

Finished the game with good karma. Loved the powers, but the last one was a little underwhelming imo. The 3rd power is still my fav.

Now onto all the things left and then i'll start my evil playthrough soon. :)

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Finished the game with good karma. Loved the powers, but the last one was a little underwhelming imo. The 3rd power is still my fav.
The last power felt a bit rushed, surely like all the other powers it should be drained from any resource of it around the city? why the arbitrary limitation? :)

shakey

Neo Member
The last power felt a bit rushed, surely like all the other powers it should be drained from any resource of it around the city? why the arbitrary limitation? :)

I agree.
Or even let us just drain it from the structures that it was used to build. That way we can't just drain it from everywhere, but from key locations that are still located in most of the city.
It just runs out so fast, even if you do throw points into it.

5amshift

Banned
Finished the game today becoming infamous. 69% done with everything so I'll be doing that over the course of the next few days to 100% evil Delsin.
Final boss battle was terrible,I liked the game up until that

nero2082

I found some upcoming DLC info in polish mag PSX Extreme, there was an interview with Nate Fox (that epic bald guy) and when asked about DLC he said :

Cole was transformed into a vampire in Infamous 2 DLC. Are you planning something similar for Delsin?
We're already working on additional content for Second Son, it will be released in couple of months, and it will definitely be some weird stuff. Can't give you details but it will be something crazy

How do I clear the DUP construct here?

e3ozBSR.jpg

I see the blue thing that you're supposed to smash is in the middle of that circular thing in the picture, but I don't know how to get it out.

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out literally right after posting, you have to shoot the blue things surrounding it that are guarded by yellow panels.

I see the blue thing that you're supposed to smash is in the middle of that circular thing in the picture, but I don't know how to get it out.

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out literally right after posting, you have to shoot the blue things surrounding it that are guarded by yellow panels.

Check the angled pillars

Edit: Beaten

Jigolo

e3ozBSR.jpg

ufff that jacket though.

can't wait to play my good playthrough

just beat the game with the paragon ending. now i'm just tediously cleaning out the districts of the dup before i do a bad guy run of the game.

when i start the game over, do i keep all my points put into abilities or does it wipe the slate clean? i don't even want to bother getting everything maxed before the new run if it doesn't even stay in effect.

great game though, wish it was longer.

edit: the voice actor of hank randomly retweeted one of my shares on twitter :3

VE6o5bC.png

I just finished this, it was very enjoyable but i think there are some areas where I preferred the first two.

They handed everything to me on a plate far too early, yes I did feel powerful, but i felt very little achievement for that power. Even with the Initial smoke power getting to the top of a building was far too easy, once I unlocked the neon running traversal boiled down to facing the direction I wanted to go and pressing the run button. It didn't feel engaging enough (especially compared to crackdown, or even coles hopping from wire to wire across the city).

The combat feels very stripped back. Not that streamlining is bad in itself, but the wealth of Coles moves in 1+2 outshines the all too vaguely similar powers in this. I missed things like polarity shield, tagging enemies for homing missiles when your shot had missed, and reflecting rockets back at the enemies. Not that I didn't enjoy combat in this it just felt very shallow and unrewarding by comparison.

Are there some half finished moves in this too? with the neon powers if you press run and melee together Delsin does a clap motion and a shield like effect shoots out in front of him. if you do ti near enemies normal melee overrides it and i can only seem to use it on civilians. Is it explained somewhere?

I don't want to be too negative, the game is fun and the mechanics are good and just kind of wish more of the complexity carried over.
Totally agree with this regarding the depth of the combat system vs this one. You reminded me of things in infamlous 1&2 i totally forgot about! Miss reflecting missles back at the enemies and the tagging. The new system is more about switch between the powers and taking advantage of their different strengths. Its just not that seemless to me to do it in the heat of battle. I just stick to one power at a time, and unfortunately there's on like 3-4 moves per power.

shakey

Neo Member
So how is it that some are able to do Paper Trail Part 2, while others can't?

When I go to Part 2, it says to check my profile. I log in, but there isn't anything beyond the murder pictures of "Crime Scene Photos Body #3: Jonas Petrovich". I don't see anything else I can do online, and the game won't let me progress farther with this mission.

Top Bottom