• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

1342518009299.gif

Just got my first Platinum ever off Second Son!

Yeeeeeeah buddy. T'was fun.

Allison-Brie-thumbs-up-GIF.gif

Sami+

God I hate the karma system so much. At the beginning of the game, I decided that I wanted to play as a hero, but also definitely
kill Augustine, regardless of whatever bullshit sob story or excuse they throw at me at the last minute
, I got to the final mission, only to find out it's been split into two, and I can't select the "evil" choice. The fuck? Why? What's the point of this stupid system if it makes me feel more limited than a regular story would?

Fuck, I've hated the karma shit ever since the first inFamous, but I was hoping that they'd have learned from Walking Dead and actually do it right this time. Extremely disappointed in it's implementation.

Sane_Man

In preparation of me playing this game, would people say it's more satisfying to play with good or bad karma? It's unusual for me to play through a game multiple times, so I'd rather pick the most fun option.

hydruxo

God I hate the karma system so much. At the beginning of the game, I decided that I wanted to play as a hero, but also definitely
kill Augustine, regardless of whatever bullshit sob story or excuse they throw at me at the last minute
, I got to the final mission, only to find out it's been split into two, and I can't select the "evil" choice. The fuck? Why? What's the point of this stupid system if it makes me feel more limited than a regular story would?

Fuck, I've hated the karma shit ever since the first inFamous, but I was hoping that they'd have learned from Walking Dead and actually do it right this time. Extremely disappointed in it's implementation.

Yeah dude, I'm with you on this. I think the Karma system is too simple. SP needs to implement a more in-depth karma system if they do another inFamous game. Something where you can be more morally gray, and not strictly evil, or strictly good. This was my first inFamous game and while I loved the game, the karma system was certainly lacking.

I think the Karma system in the first game was much better than this one. They limited choices badly here in Second Son.

hydruxo

In preparation of me playing this game, would people say it's more satisfying to play with good or bad karma? It's unusual for me to play through a game multiple times, so I'd rather pick the most fun option.

They are both pretty satisfying. I did evil first and it was a lot of fun just blowing everything up and not caring about accidentally killing anyone. Good is also fun with the
neon power because of the slo-mo ability
you get. Still, I'd say evil was my favorite of the two.

What the fuck...I'm pretty certain that update just deleted my damn save data with everything cleared. The only backup I had is one right before finished the game. Shit.

glaurung

Completed the good/normal playthrough tonight.

Now I will take a short break and then have a look at the evil/expert thing.

I also have some trophies to mop up, most notably that 170m comet drop and that "use all powers to kill someone thing". I did jump off that huge building for the comet drop, but for some reason it did not register.

gosh i wish they would add on the next game a way to rescue normal people, i mean , something to kinda take people out of their cars to safety or something to shield them from collateral damage, a lot of times npcs die from DUP attacks.

Yeah, i imagine SP knew that and hence didn't give you reds when you accidentally blew up cars that clearly had civilians in them.
Still felt shitty though :(
Also, mapping the "Let go" move as the same button as Attack was a dumb move. In prior inFamous games, it was O and it should have stayed that way.
In Second Son, due to the more spotty grab mechanic this time around, there's lots of times where I accidentally pressed Square one times too many and ended up orbital dropping innocents.

dralla

Like Infamous 2, the traversal in this game is friggin' incredible, it's easily the best thing about the series. No other open world is as fun to traverse as these games. Unfortunately the combat is not as satisfying. I remember in Infamous 1, grinding on power lines, raining down lightning grenades and rockets, flipping over cars with the shockwaves, and so much destruction. But They seemed to have toned it down. I miss the grenades the rockets being limited to an ammo count kind of sucks. The powers so far just aren't as satisfying as they used to be. I think it's why the first game is still my favorite. I've only gotten the first two powers, maybe it'll get better, but as of right now the combat is missing that satisfying, tactile, feedback. It would help so much with the tedium of the missions.

Completed the good/normal playthrough tonight.

Now I will take a short break and then have a look at the evil/expert thing.

I also have some trophies to mop up, most notably that 170m comet drop and that "use all powers to kill someone thing". I did jump off that huge building for the comet drop, but for some reason it did not register.

Did you drop all the way from the top after shooting up through the
antenna and dashing and hovering until you had a clear sight of the street?

Sorian

Banned
The issue with the karma system is they keep tying it to your powers. Honestly, I probably would have played most of the game good but would have definitely (END GAME SPOILERS)
killed Hank and killed Augustine and I don't think that makes me any less of a hero.
They have to be aware of how hilariously binary they are with it too. Good? Beat up these drug dealers. Bad? Vaporize this street musician.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
288'oages so this has almost certainly been posted or mentioned already, but this is my first ever use of the share button so fuck it.

iK5Zd7k.jpg

Frasier crane, in Seattle. Perfect.

Also there is a sly cooper office building somewhere but I didn't take a screenshot of it.

Sami+

The issue with the karma system is they keep tying it to your powers. Honestly, I probably would have played most of the game good but would have definitely (END GAME SPOILERS)
killed Hank and killed Augustine and I don't think that makes me any less of a hero.
They have to be aware of how hilariously binary they are with it too. Good? Beat up these drug dealers. Bad? Vaporize this street musician.

Seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if the next game added puppies to kick and old ladies to help across the street.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did you actually click "save game" because autosaves don't update the percentage I don't think.

Does it actually auto save? It's freaking me out a bit because when I went to options/save, there wasn't any save game, so I manually created one. Now I'm obsessively saving it every now and then. But if it auto saves all the time then I'll just relax.

Ps+ saves maybe? Check there. Someone on this thread saved my save that way. Whoever it was Thank you by the way!!!

Found it. Thank you !!!!! :D
Nope, I'm not that lucky :(

Can you download another person's file? I just want to finish up Paper Trail with my 100 evil save.

Edit: It even messed my Good save I had. Damn I got bashed lol

Does it actually auto save? It's freaking me out a bit because when I went to options/save, there wasn't any save game, so I manually created one. Now I'm obsessively saving it every now and then. But if it auto saves all the time then I'll just relax.

It does autosave. Crashed during a mission and when i restarted the game I was on the same segment of the mission the game crashed on. Still I save due to paranoia.

Jedi2016

It does auto-save, but it doesn't list that save on the save screen for some reason. I only save manually when I'm getting ready to quit, just to make sure it's got everything up to the minute. I don't bother with saving manually when I'm playing, though.

skybald

I haven't played 1 and 2 but I don't know if this series really needs and open world. The city was fine, but I would rather see more directed gameplay and missions than meticulously placed neon signs.

There was really nothing interesting to do outside the main quests, I don't know if because SP rushed the game, is not creative, or they didn't have the resources to add more than what we got.

The good tags were seriously awesome though. I love how they blended with the environment.

Probably just bullshit, but I'll post it anyway :p

Courtesy of a monstrous shipment of PS4 units in the extended last 2 weeks amidst very high consumer demand, PS4 reached 7 million units globally for the extended Infamous Week ending March 28, 2014. For the extended week, PS4 outsold the Xbox One by a whopping 7:1 across the PAL region. Below are the numbers for the entended week ranging from March 17,2014 to March 28,2014. Infamous : Second Son reached a million at the same time.

PAL(includes UK)
PS4 : 180,000 units (PS4 sold over 100,000 units across PAL during the weekend covering March 21 - March 23 )
Xbox One : 25,000 units
Infamous : Second Son sold 400,000 copies at retail across PAL and around ~50,000 across Asia , with around 90,000 units sold across UK (includes bundles)

http://insiderp.com/ps4-reaches-7-million-as-infamous-sells-1million.html

IF this is true (which I doubt btw)... goddamn. I mean, Titanfall and all.

Darknight

2 questions without spoilers plz, first if you beat the game, can you continue to try to 100% the game with the same save file or does it overwrite it for a new game? And next is it better to do the "paper trail" mission during the story or after you beat the game?

Thanx.

psychotron

2 questions without spoilers plz, first if you beat the game, can you continue to try to 100% the game with the same save file or does it overwrite it for a new game? And next is it better to do the "paper trail" mission during the story or after you beat the game?

Thanx.

Yes you can continue and it doesn't matter when you do paper trail.

I think what I like most about getting
concrete powers: Being able to boulder dash those heavily armored D.U.P. soldiers who are always a pain in the ass. Boulder dashing them seems to be more effective against them

288'oages so this has almost certainly been posted or mentioned already, but this is my first ever use of the share button so fuck it.

iK5Zd7k.jpg

Also there is a sly cooper office building somewhere but I didn't take a screenshot of it.

Oh wow, somehow that never registered for me, and I used to watch that show.

Yeah, 2 had a better system but I still think 1 had the best choices.

Second Son's karma system played like a formality only. Not impacting enough.

Same feelings. Infamous 2's karmic paths were very impactful, "there still ain't nobody with more humanity than Cole MacGrath" :(

And about
concrete
power, this is what i was expecting from the use of that power. I expected blast shards to be placed on water and the only way to pick them up is by forming
concrete
layers over the surface of water with each forward step. I was genuinely looking forward to this kind of use.

vypek

I'm surprised so many people have problems with karma system. Most hero/villains aren't created to be morally grey. Heroes and villains are written to be unbelievably good or terribly awful. Its a long standing thing in works with heroes that heroes do not kill. So of course if you're taking a good route, they don't want you to kill people. And while the options for the good and bad karma are silly on side missions, the super villain is supposed to be cruel. It would seem to have a hero or villain be morally grey in their choices. What I dislike is that I have to make the choices each time. If I'm being a hero, I want all hero choices. Randomly choosing to now murder people after I was just doing something redeeming doesn't make sense to me.

Generally in the infamous series, all other characters are good and usually become disgusted with you. I'd be interested in seeing side characters who are evil and would disagree with your choice when you do something good or compliment you when you have done something evil. Characters who have varying alignments would be really cool.

Varying side missions would be great. Even if they recycle them from the older games. I'm sure if they try they can think of more side missions. They need more missions based on your karma as well.

Multiplayer like someone else mentioned would be cool. I was thinking of it back with Infamous 2 to take control of different types of conduits and have different combat modes within a large city.

I was also thinking about how SP might make even better stories if they could utilize two playable characters. I wouldn't mind using two characters and having 4 storylines written (good/good, good/bad, bad/good, bad/bad)...if that makes sense to people.

mishakoz

And about
concrete
power, this is what i was expecting from the use of that power. I expected blast shards to be placed on water and the only way to pick them up is by forming
concrete
layers over the surface of water with each forward step. I was genuinely looking forward to this kind of use.

You're looking for next game when Delsin travels to Arundel and leeches power from Elsa.

First platinum ever. In less than one week. This game was awesome! This franchise is one of my favorites of all time, hope it is supported for a long time!

So about dat Evil Ending:
The Final Orbital Drop: Out of anger/resentment or mercy? I feel as though it could be the latter. In that way, Delsin could still "take care of his own" if he wouldn't be allowed to heal them.

Gat dam.

vypek

The Final Orbital Drop: Out of anger/resentment or mercy? I feel as though it could be the latter. In that way, Delsin could still "take care of his own" if he wouldn't be allowed to heal them.

Gat dam.

I definitely think its the former. Considering his attitude and some of his lines during the evil run, I'd say its the former

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
i have a question : what is the highest point in the game ? is it
augustine tower ?
i have to stay in the air for 45 secs

Yeah, launch yourself through the dish at the top, and eventually land on the street below.

You can get the other height achievement the same way.

Gat dam.

My take on it is
a self-absorbed sense of revenge. -- "I did all this for you. My brother died because of you. And you won't even appreciate that. You'd rather die than let me help you. So screw you anyways."

CoolNumber9

iK5Zd7k.jpg

That is fantastic, I never paid attention to the name when I was up there. I love that show!!

Top Bottom