• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

MercuryLS

Banned
I've seen a bit of footage from the spoiler thread, this game is bonkers. I actually think SP kinda undersold this game a bit too much. It's good they held back a lot of content so people are surprised, but the stuff the held back would convert non-believers for sure. SP made solid games in the past, this is a massive leap for them.

This fuckin game...wow. About 50% completed. I had to force myself to stop playing lol. I'm playing evil the first time through. Best looking next gen game so far and I really don't think it's close.

viveks86

0GM5W7P.png

Looks like he is taking his sweet time. Good!

This is what he posted on Friday evening.

jKOxgFh.png

How does it compare to other open world games?

Its perfect for the type of game it is since you're not using vehicles to get around and there are I believe 4 total islands and each of them feel distinctly different from one another IMO. The draw distance is like nothing I've seen in an open world game. It's amazing.

Its perfect for the type of game it is since you're not using vehicles to get around and there are I believe 4 total islands and each of them feel distinctly different from one another IMO. The draw distance is like nothing I've seen in an open world game. It's amazing.

Damn! Wish I had gotten an early copy. Wait is killing me!

Havel

And this was done on "only" 5GB of RAM. Imagine what games on the PS4 will be like when Sony give devs more RAM to use as they optimise the OS and when devs understand the system more.

Holy moley.

Better facial animation than Ryse? :|

Tough call, I was really impressed by ryses facial animations but I never actually played that game only watched videos. The character animations in this are flat out amazing and watching the characters speak to one another is truly on a whole new level. Definitely blown away so far.

MercuryLS

Banned

It's going to be a long week :(

I've seen a bit of footage from the spoiler thread, this game is bonkers. I actually think SP kinda undersold this game a bit too much. It's good they held back a lot of content so people are surprised, but the stuff the held back would convert non-believers for sure. SP made solid games in the past, this is a massive leap for them.
They usually don't advertise until on release day.

MercuryLS

Banned
And this was done on "only" 5GB of RAM. Imagine what games on the PS4 will be like when Sony give devs more RAM to use as they optimise the OS and when devs understand the system more.

Holy moley.

I can't wait to see the first Uncharted PS4 footage. It will melt minds.

sector4

Tough call, I was really impressed by ryses facial animations but I never actually played that game only watched videos. The character animations in this are flat out amazing and watching the characters speak to one another is truly on a whole new level. Definitely blown away so far.
Thanks for your response! Hype levels rysing :D haha!

Messi

If I buy this from videogamesplus will it work in Ireland and will I be able to buy DLC for the game from the eu store? It's a 30 euro difference in price on there.

Lima

I was going back and forth and didn't know which version to pick. I was set on getting it digital but then again I don't have any other PS4 game on disc so I don't have to switch discs.

I kinda wanted that beanie so I went with the physical special edition. Should get it before the release date from my shop so now I'll stick to Titanfall until the first real current gen graphical showcase finally arrives.

Not to mention I fucking love inFAMOUS. Aw yiss

Grimløck;104644161 said:
sounds good. what was your completion time, for comparison's sake?

I believe off the top of my head that it was around 13 hours.

Repetitiveness factor? Holy-shit missions? Story good?

What was your assessment of the first 2 games?

Well, the side missions get repetitive, as there are only a couple different types, but I quite enjoyed them, and I didn't think they overstayed their welcome. There were a couple missions that were extremely good, but everything was pretty consistent in terms of quality. I found the story to be quite good, and even liked the ending (I've seen a couple complaints so far).

I actually mentioned earlier that I could never get into the 2 previous games. I've played each of them through PS+, but I never cared for Cole or the setting. I want to go back and play through them now, because this game was amazing. I watched partial playthroughs of the previous games on YouTube in preparation for this one, and, as I mentioned earlier, the cutscenes, acting, writing, graphics, and just about everything else are on a completely different level. It is so much improved from inFamous 2. It truly is next-gen.

Saw a Titanfall ad and an inFamous ad during the same break on Channel 5 just before.

It's kind of weird seeing this game getting pushed so much by Sony. I guess they're finally getting their act together when it comes to marketing.

Looks that way huh?

And yeah I've seen two Titanfall adverts - both on Film4.

I can't believe I'd ever see the day when Sony started doing things right.

I believe off the top of my head that it was around 13 hours.

Well, the side missions get repetitive, as there are only a couple different types, but I quite enjoyed them, and I didn't think they overstayed their welcome. There were a couple missions that were extremely good, but everything was pretty consistent in terms of quality. I found the story to be quite good, and even liked the ending (I've seen a couple complaints so far).

I actually mentioned earlier that I could never get into the 2 previous games. I've played each of them through PS+, but I never cared for Cole or the setting. I want to go back and play through them now, because this game was amazing. I watched partial playthroughs of the previous games on YouTube in preparation for this one, and, as I mentioned earlier, the cutscenes, acting, writing, graphics, and just about everything else are on a completely different level. It is so much improved from inFamous 2. It truly is next-gen.

Thanks.

I found the first game to be just on this side of worth playing. Not a waste of time but, aside from a couple of cool moments, nothing memorable either. The 2nd game was very similar but looked awesome... still not good enough to really push it into top-notch territory.

Curious if this is the one.

EGOMON

I just can't believe how this game (open world) looking better than Killzone SF (linear) while we all agree that GG are tech wizards, maybe GG was rushing KZSF and SP took their time if that the case then PS4 second gen games gonna melt faces

Personally I don't see too much of a problem with the game's length. Games like AC4 like to tote that they're 20+ hours, but I beat the main game in 10. I'm assuming there isn't too many side missions in this game. However, having two sides to play as practically doubles the campaign length. Really don't see a problem, and I'm usually not as defensive as some people are about such issues.

I just can't believe how this game (open world) looking better than Killzone SF (linear) while we all agree that GG are tech wizards, maybe GG was rushing KZSF and SP took their time if that the case then PS4 second gen games gonna melt faces

Yeah it's pretty crazy. SP aren't even known to be that technically diverse. Imagine what the next God of War or Uncharted will look like.

Lima

Might have already been asked and answered but what options are there for the HUD? 1 and 2 had many different settings for it. SS's HUD doesn't look that hot to me so I would like to know what I can turn off and stuff.

Havel

Pretty sure they did rush SF. Also, the engine wasn't a new one. They just ported it over to the PS4 from KZ3.

I mean shit, this game was done on 5GB of RAM. Sony will give more to devs down the line as they optimise the OS (hell, they managed to half the PS3 OS reservation). And of course when devs get use to the system more.

You are right, it will melt faces.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Have you seen some of the spoiler footage? Because I don't think you'd still hold that opinion if so.

It's preference. Infamous is doing some insane things with particle effects that's very pleasing to the eye. I don't think we should undersell what Killzone did though. Parts of that game were mindblowing.

This is the case.

Everyone's gotta understand these guys are aiming at a moving target. Even Second Son was.

It's all made for a high end PC targets and then ported. There is no 'pushing the metal' at that stage.

The first title from every studio this generation won't be applying these machines to their potential. At all.

i-Lo

Holy moley.

Technically, while 5GB is plenty, the visual improvements will not stem from another additional gig (directly) rather better asset management which comes with continual iterations of the original engine and that comes with time.

If and when more RAM is released to the devs, they can use it better for multitude of tasks including better load times or eliminate them completely. At the end of the day, streaming from the HDD will play an even greater role with expanded sizes of assets.

Top Bottom