• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider - “I'm confident that we will hear more from Sony this Q3, next year might be their most important, and one of the best years this Generation”

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

"For this generation, 2025 will be one of their stronger years, it seems like they're primed to have a good year next year, their silence this year shouldn't really be taken as anything other than they're just cooking right now."

"I'm confident that we will hear more from Sony this Q3, and I do think next year will probably be their most important, and one of the their best years this generation."

Timestamp: From 40:35 to 42:20

Excited Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Killjoy-NL

No shit. We already knew.

Their gaas push really backfired. Their console would have sold better with aa exclusive instead.
Backfired how?

Without their Gaas-strategy we would be in the exact same situation as we are in right now, because those singleplayer games people are demanding still have to be announced.

And if by aa you mean titles like Stellar Blade or Rise of the Ronin, those don't push sales in a significant way.

Last edited:

skit_data

I think the early gen output was pretty good, better than earlier gens IMO. Last two years have been quiet in terms of their first party studios but I assume they will really start dropping bombs in the latter half because that's how it's been the latest two gens. It all pretty much depends on the "damage" the GAAS push have done to the pipeline. Feels like the worst part of that push has already released/are about to release so it's pretty much an unknown quantity what the others have been up to.

Woopah

2022 was a really good year, but 2025 could very even better if they have the already announced titles plus Tsushima 2, Bend's game and some first party multiplayer.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Nice so I can expect Legend of Dragoon, Legacy of Kain, Sly, Jak and Daxter, them buying back Crash and Spyro and actually making them good like the PS1 games, a new medieval IP from ND, and probably 4 or 5 other awesome new games. Anything less is DISASTER and DISAPPOINTING!

Fabieter

No shit. We already knew.

Backfired how?

Without their Gaas-strategy we would be in the exact same situation as we are in right now, because those singleplayer games people are demanding still have to be announced.

And if by aa you mean titles like Stellar Blade or Rise of the Ronin, those don't push sales in a significant way.

No all those budget which they fucked up with their gaas push relocated to AA games would mean dozens of new games throughout the generation. And while aa games don't sell that much on a individual level they will do sell consoles if you add them up.

jm89

They need to bring the goods for the first half of 2025.

Second half GTA6 will carry them to the moon.

If they do release anything in the second half, stay a good month or two away from GTA6.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Nice so I can expect Legend of Dragoon, Legacy of Kain, Sly, Jak and Daxter, them buying back Crash and Spyro and actually making them good like the PS1 games, a new medieval IP from ND, and probably 4 or 5 other awesome new games. Anything less is DISASTER and DISAPPOINTING!

They don't make aa games anymore so we already know it will be disappointing.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
They don't make aa games anymore so we already know it will be disappointing.
I mean they're releasing Astrobot in like a month which, while maybe not technically AA looks fantastic and much less high budget than their usual fare. Hopefully it does well!

Fabieter

I dont really understand the “this gen is dogshit” and Sony’s push for gaas comments. Can somebody explain to me why i have a crazy backlog of fun 2023 and 2024 games for my ps5 while games like astro are right around the corner?

Their current weak output is because they cancelled a bunch of games which supposed so be gaas and should have been released in 2023 and 2024. The last two years were weak.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Sad Season 3 GIF by The Lonely Island

DAH-BLE SLASH!

Last edited:

Three

If GTA6, Wolverine and Death Stranding 2 release next year as planned then there is no denying it's a bumper year. Let's see if they all release on time though.

Fabieter

Only if you're deluded and think Ronin and Stellar Blade were more important than Helldivers 2 this year in terms of pushing sales.

Yes I think a catalogue of good games is more important than one lucky gaas game when you consider how much bucks they invested for all their other cancelled gaas games. Plus they even fucked their one lucky game up, I highly doubt that helldivers 2 will ever go back to their massive numbers.

Killjoy-NL

No all those budget which they fucked up with their gaas push relocated to AA games would mean dozens of new games throughout the generation. And while aa games don't sell that much on a individual level they will do sell consoles if you add them up.
Hypothetically.

One successfull Gaas title probably will generate more revenue than 5 of those aa titles combined.

Said Gaas title also has the ability to retain more players than those aa sp games would.

The most logical approach would be to release a couple of Gaas titles and use that revenue to fund more aa titles, so you can cover both sides.

Cope Fresh Air GIF by shremps

its always the next year
Why wait with so much they have released this year? And still more to come.
Its nice that Sony is picking up "wait for next year" mantle from Xbox now that they are almost leaving the console space.
When did sony ever said “wait for next year” related to the ps5? The video in the OP has nothing to do with sony but okay.

None of the PS major studios are releasing anything next year so this is bullshit.

Unless they are hyping up some trailers and logos, ala Metroid 4.

Three

Yes I think a catalogue of good games is more important than one lucky gaas game when you consider how much bucks they invested for all their other cancelled gaas games. Plus they even fucked their one lucky game up, I highly doubt that helldivers 2 will ever go back to their massive numbers.
They didn't fuck up anything if you look at the graph. It had no affect on trajectory. There were 2 AA (maybe AAA) first party single player games released this year and combined they didn't perform better than the 1 GaaS Helldivers. The problem is that people like you moan and pretend these AA games don't exist while those GaaS games like Helldivers rack up sales/players. Then you wonder why there is a GaaS push.

Fabieter

Hypothetically.

One successfull Gaas title probably will generate more revenue than 5 of those aa titles combined.

Said Gaas title also has the ability to retain more players than those aa sp games would.

The most logical approach would be to release a couple of Gaas titles and use that revenue to fund more aa titles, so you can cover both sides.

I agree that a success with a gaas which us a big if in itself will make more money than a bunch of aa games. But I would argue that a bunch of aa games have a big chance to sell more consoles which will boost other sales as well.

Top Bottom