• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider - “I'm confident that we will hear more from Sony this Q3, next year might be their most important, and one of the best years this Generation”

Ps3 had a pretty strong ending so alot of people said in gen 8 that they know Sony will deliver and games were truly exclusive on top of like 80% of Japanese games were also exclusive at the time just because of their history with Playstation.

It's not just their brand if they think that brand is all they need than they might end up like intel.

But ultimately a weak generation that still managed to lead them into their best generation. Japanese games are not that important lol.

It's brand + competence. Intel has a resounding lack of the latter. Sony currently does not.

Last edited:
And like clockwork, the minute news about Sony or its games goes a little "off message", the positive "leaks and rumors" appear 🤭

Get your ass in that flour and egg wash and deep fryer so I can get me some chicken.

Fried Chicken Dip GIF by KFC Singapore

yurinka

So far, as we know:
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Marathon
  • Venom (if not delayed to 2027)
    • Possibly Lost Soul Aside (if delayed to 2025)
    • Possibly Cory's/SSM new IP (which could be Intergalactic :The Heretic Prophet)
    • Possibly Firesprite's next game (which could be Until Dawn 2)
    • Possibly Fairgame$
    • Possibly Ghost of Tsushima 2 (I think it's more likely for 2026 or 2027)
Its nice that Sony is picking up "wait for next year" mantle from Xbox now that they are almost leaving the console space.
Never has been the case for Sony. They always had many first party and console exclusive releases every year (12 1st party games announced for this year + 3rd party exclusives), including goty winners or candidates almost every year.

People here coping by pretending as if Sony isn't releasing 7 games this year, one of which is even the best-selling game of the year.
  • Helldivers 2
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Stellar Blade
  • MLB
  • Astrobot
  • Concord
  • Lego Horizons
Plus:
  • Convallaria
  • Lost Soul Aside
  • TLOU2 Remastered
  • Until Dawn remake
And the big expansion:
  • Destiny The Final Shape
And the PC ports of:
  • HFW
  • GoT DC
  • GoWR

Last edited:

Fess

That's fair, but consoles aren't in any kind of danger and there won't be any significant shift between PC and consoles for the foreseeable future.

That's just wishful thinking. I think it more likely that Sony will start moving towards console exclusivity more again once they feel that they've built a decent installbase on PC.
It’s difficult to go back now, I think it’s more likely that there will be a Playstation launcher on PC. Within 3 years. With day 1 launcher/ecosystem exclusives and 9-12 months delays on Steam, with saves and licenses working on both console and PC.

It would make sense for Sony, they could say it’s still the Playstation ecosystem to not upset the fans so much.

The difficult part is to get PC gamers to accept it. It’s not going too well for Epic and Ubisoft. But if Sony would bring The Last of Us 3 or Gran Turismo 8 or next God of War to a new PC launcher day 1 then everybody would be there no matter what.

But this is off topic, should be a general thread about what we expect of the future of the industry.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Seems they are already setting things up with PSN requirements.

Btw, Sony already won if you bought their game on PC.

Yes did they? When the lost 30% to steam and all of those 3p revenue of games and mtx? ;) Its still sold in another ecosystem. It's steam with 3p drm.

But ultimately a weak generation that still managed to lead them into their best generation. Japanese games are not that important lol.

It's brand + competence. Intel has a resounding lack of the latter. Sony currently does not.

Japanese games might not seem that important, but that's probably why leadership felt the need to moneyhat some of these titles. They know they're lacking, but they can't stop the shift. The reason Final Fantasy didn't sell as well as in previous generations is because the JRPG audience is moving more and more towards PC and Switch.

In my opinion, Sony's current leadership could have a coffee chat with the folks at Intel—they seem to be making similar missteps. The whole point of this discussion is that I don't have any faith in PlayStation's current leadership. But we'll see if they manage to achieve long-term growth.

Killjoy-NL

It’s difficult to go back now, I think it’s more likely that there will be a Playstation launcher on PC. Within 3 years. With day 1 launcher/ecosystem exclusives and 9-12 months delays on Steam, with saves and licenses working on both console and PC.

It would make sense for Sony, they could say it’s still the Playstation ecosystem to not upset the fans so much.

The difficult part is to get PC gamers to accept it. It’s not going too well for Epic and Ubisoft. But if Sony would bring The Last of Us 3 or Gran Turismo 8 or next God of War to a new PC launcher day 1 then everybody would be there no matter what.
You could be right. Sounds plausible.

As for the bolded, I don't think the playstation fanbase would be that upset over it.
Not even if all games would come to PC day 1.

yurinka

But this is off topic, should be a general thread about what we expect of the future of the industry.
I see this happening, even with crossbuy or a big discount if you had the game on the other platform.

Combining the PSN of PS and PC in a single seamless platform/store would make the PC Sony store way more appealing for 3rd parties and players than if PSN gets separated in PC.

That would open the door to release a Sony PC handheld with no ports and dedicated games required, since the games hopefully would be crossgen with the PS home console and desktop/laptop PCs.

Sony has become the Xbox meme.
No, Sony is generating more revenue and profit than ever, breaking several all time records in many metrics almost every quarter. And in 3 of the 4 recent years they broke their record of the fastest selling 1st party game/console exclusive ever.

While the Xbox consoles keep losing market share to the point that maybe they no longer sell a shit at the end of the generation.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Yes did they? When the lost 30% to steam and all of those 3p revenue of games and mtx? ;) Its still sold in another ecosystem. It's steam with 3p drm.
They seem to be content with their PC strategy, so my guess is that their plan is working for them so far.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Sony has become the Xbox meme.

All the insiders are always "next show".

Not only that most of their strategy is somewhat from Xbox as well.

They seem to be content with their PC strategy, so my guess is that their plan is working for them so far.

Their current leadership have a nice short term strategy. Will be nice when hulst has to explain all of his and friends fuckups to investors in a few years ;).

yurinka

Yes, they are happy with theire PC strategy. This quarter more than doubled the revenue of 1st party games outside PS versus the same quarter of the previous year. Their PC sales must be growing every year a lot, and the ports of old games are very profitable. Even the worse selling ones released until now must be profitable.

Their current leadership have a nice short term strategy. Will be nice when hulst has to explain all of his and friends fuckups to investors in a few years ;).
Their long term results are very promising because they are growing and breaking records in basically all fronts, including existing and new ones:
  • Total revenue (this year this gen will become the top grossing one generation for them, several years away from ending)
  • Total profit (made more profit this gen than in all the previous ones combined)
  • Console active userbase (all time high and growing)
  • Console game sales+addons revenue (all time high and growing)
  • Amount of first party games under development (all time high)
  • Accesories revenue (all time high and growing)
  • Console average revenue per user (all time high)
  • Game sub revenue (all time high and growing)
    • Includes increase of the mid and cloud gaming tiers
  • VR hardware sales (we only have the ones from the launch window) and VR game support
  • PC/non-PS 1st party revenue with a huge yearly growth every year since they started the current push in 2019 (all time high and growing)
  • Movies/tv show/etc business (all time high)
On top of that, they also signed many deals with top Asian companies to help them expand in the mobile gaming market. Some of them are apparently working on adapting Sony IPs to mobile.

Last edited:
Japanese games might not seem that important, but that's probably why leadership felt the need to moneyhat some of these titles. They know they're lacking, but they can't stop the shift. The reason Final Fantasy didn't sell as well as in previous generations is because the JRPG audience is moving more and more towards PC and Switch.

In my opinion, Sony's current leadership could have a coffee chat with the folks at Intel—they seem to be making similar missteps. The whole point of this discussion is that I don't have any faith in PlayStation's current leadership. But we'll see if they manage to achieve long-term growth.

FF isn't doing that much better or worse than it's ever done historically. It's still a multi million seller. It's also not in in anyway your traditional "jrpg" given how westernised it is. Audiences moving isn't the issue. The audences have always been there. It's that single platform stategies aren't sustainable anymore with the inflated budgets.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Slimy you're better than this shit
dude you are acting like im the only one. read the room. look around gaf. the vast majority think this is the worst fucking generation ever. no one is happy. you have people posting lists of sony exclusives this year like this is the best year ever and fans are still upset. why is that? if sony was really killing it this gen, people would not be so down on it.

edit: just saw this thread on the top of the first page. we get a version of this thread every other day it seems. if sony, microsoft of even third parties were releasing amazing games like they used to, this would not be the case.

Last edited:

Fess

You could be right. Sounds plausible.

As for the bolded, I don't think the playstation fanbase would be that upset over it.
Not even if all games would come to PC day 1.
Yeah I think it would work, especially if there was a bonus if their game licenses would transfer so they would already have a decent library of games there.
I’d use it for sure. Steam is awesome but it’s not everything. I’m hoping that Microsoft will release the rumoured hybrid multi launcher frontend as a standalone OS. So we can get that on any PC. Seeing Playstation and Steam and Xbox and Ubisoft and Epic games on the same UI would cause world peace! 🫶

FeralEcho

No, Sony is generating more revenue and profit than ever, breaking several all time records in many metrics almost every quarter. And in 3 of the 4 recent years they broke their record of the fastest selling 1st party game/console exclusive ever.

While the Xbox consoles keep losing market share to the point that maybe they no longer sell a shit at the end of the generation.
Wtf does what I said have to do about profits?

I play games not profits,and when it comes to excitement from their first party studios it's been rock bottom.

The 3rd party partnerships are carrying the entire generation for them. Hulst should kiss the ass of whoever is in charge of 3rd party relations cuz he still has a job thanks to them.

I wish people would stop bringing in profits as a discussion for gaming companies as if gamers somehow benefit from what the multibillion dollar company is making.EA and Take 2 are also profitable yet they are some of the worst companies in the world.

This has been the worst Sony generation by far for me,a far cry from the late PS3/early PS4 golden days of quality exclusives so for me they have become exactly like the xbox meme.

Couldn't give two shits how much revenue they are making when the last worthwhile showcase they made has been in 2021.

yurinka

Would be nice to hear about PC versions of FF16, Rebirth, Spider-Man 2, Stellar Blade and Ronin. Should shorten the delays to 6 months to not make everything feel old and maybe they would boost the sales a bit.
Nah, I think they must continue the "minimum around 2 years or more after the original release for the SP games that get ported to PC" to keep it healthy. With some understandable exception for non-Sony IPs like MLB or Lego.

Fabieter

Yes, they are happy with theire PC strategy. This quarter more than doubled the revenue of 1st party games outside PS versus the same quarter of the previous year. Their PC sales must be growing every year a lot, and the ports of old games are very profitable. Even the worse selling ones released until now must be profitable.

Their long term results are very promising because they are growing and breaking records in basically all fronts, including existing and new ones:
  • Total revenue (this year this gen will become the top grossing one generation for them, several years away from ending)
  • Total profit (made more profit this gen than in all the previous ones combined)
  • Console active userbase (all time high and growing)
  • Console game sales+addons revenue (all time high and growing)
  • Amount of first party games under development (all time high)
  • Accesories revenue (all time high and growing)
  • Console average revenue per user (all time high)
  • Game sub revenue (all time high and growing)
    • Includes increase of the mid and cloud gaming tiers
  • VR hardware sales (we only have the ones from the launch window) and VR game support
  • PC/non-PS 1st party revenue with a huge yearly growth every year since they started the current push in 2019 (all time high and growing)
  • Movies/tv show/etc business (all time high)
On top of that, they also signed many deals with top Asian companies to help them expand in the mobile gaming market. Some of them are apparently working on adapting Sony IPs to mobile.

Yes and most of this stuff has nothing to do with current leadership.

FF isn't doing that much better or worse than it's ever done historically. It's still a multi million seller. It's also not in in anyway your traditional "jrpg" given how westernised it is. Audiences moving isn't the issue. The audences have always been there. It's that single platform stategies aren't sustainable anymore with the inflated budgets.

It's not sustainable because of the shift. An exclusive switch 2 final fantasy made for the ground up for the console would be bigger than the playstation offerings.

It's not sustainable because of the shift. An exclusive switch 2 final fantasy made for the ground up for the console would be bigger than the playstation offerings.

Maybe it'll be abit bigger. It won't be big enough to offset the single platform issue they're having

Last edited:

yurinka

Wtf does what I said have to do about profits?
You said "Sony has become the Xbox meme" as if they were a failure due to lack of games and releasing their stuff on PC. Record revenue, profits and growing market share prove they are having a very different result than MS: a very positive one, because their strategy is pretty different.

Yes and most of this stuff has nothing to do with current leadership.
Bullshit. Hermen and Nishino continue doing basically the same job they did for many years before they became co-CEOs. Totoki and there rest of leadership (SVPs) continue being the same than many years ago.

The main difference is that Jimbo isn't there.

Last edited:

Fess

Nah, I think they must continue the "minimum around 2 years or more after the original release for the SP games that get ported to PC" to keep it healthy. With some understandable exception for non-Sony IPs like MLB or Lego.
The late ports sell a puny amount compared to how they sell on console so I don’t think it works. It’s old games. They’re wasting true exclusivity for pocket money. Look at Helldivers 2 selling more on PC than console. Huge success. Then look at sales numbers out there on other games, bigger games, the numbers are way too low for the quality of the titles.

yurinka

The late ports sell a puny amount compared to how they sell on console so I don’t think it works. It’s old games. They’re wasting true exclusivity for pocket money. Look at Helldivers 2 selling more on PC than console. Huge success. Then look at sales numbers out there on other games, bigger games, the numbers are way too low for the quality of the titles.
Only a retarded would expect that full priced port of a game originally released 10, 6 or even 2 years ago would sell the same in PC at launch than it did in console. Specially on PC many people wait for discounts, so games keep selling during years.

But keeping this aside, PC ports cost them a couple millions, all of them already generated back to Sony more than that. Several generated dozens of millions to Sony. Meaning it's a very profitable initiative with a low risk. Even better: their revenue from PC has been growing a lot every year since they started (to release) this PC initiative back in 2019. That's why Totoki said they're doubling down on it.

Regarding the sales split of Helldivers 2 on PC, we don't know them. All we have is a vague hint of the Arrowhead CEO of users (maybe not all, he maybe was talking about the active ones in the serveers) being split around aprox. half and half per platform during the first few days of the game. Regarding confirmed hard numbers, all we know is that when combining both versions it became the fastest selling Sony game ever, selling way more than they expected. Even in the recent quarter still performed before they expected.

Last edited:

nial

This has been the worst Sony generation by far for me,a far cry from the late PS3 golden days
Worst era of Sony ever, I still have nightmares over their 2012 lineup.
Either way, internally developed first-party games in 2011-2013, since you guys insist all the time that Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade are not first-party:
2011:
DanceStar Party
Killzone 3
LittleBigPlanet 2
MotorStorm: Apocalypse
SingStar Back to the '80s
SOCOM 4
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
2012:
DanceStar Party Hits
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Wonderbook: Book of Spells
2013:
God of War: Ascension
Gran Turismo 6
Puppeteer
The Last of Us
Wonderbook: Book of Potions
Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler
How is this the golden age of ANYTHING? But hey, their output in these years would look a lot better if we include the externally developed games, but since you guys insist all the time that Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade aren't first-party, then that's how it is...

nial

None of the Sony studios released a game in 2015 aside from partially Media Molecule with Tearaway Unfolded, you realize how worse the year looks as a whole if we decide to not include Bloodborne, Helldivers and Until Dawn for arbitrary reasons? FeralEcho FeralEcho

Last edited:

Fabieter

You said "Sony has become the Xbox meme" as if they were a failure due to lack of games and releasing their stuff on PC. Record revenue, profits and growing market share prove they are having a very different result than MS: a very positive one, because their strategy is pretty different.

Bullshit. Hermen and Nishino continue doing basically the same job they did for many years before they became co-CEOs. Totoki and there rest of leadership (SVPs) continue being the same than many years ago.

The main difference is that Jimbo isn't there.

And hermen and nishino are just riding on decisions made by previous executives. We will start to see their impact in the second part of this generation and if playstation isn't growing significantly in the next five years than we know that they were the wrong people for the positions.

vivftp

Reading this thread, amazing how folks can run with stupid narratives to push whatever agenda they're pushing.
Anyways, just had to get that out there.

People here coping by pretending as if Sony isn't releasing 7 games this year, one of which is even the best-selling game of the year.
  • Helldivers 2
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Stellar Blade
  • MLB
  • Astrobot
  • Concord
  • Lego Horizons

8, with Destiny 2 The Final Shape included. There're also remasters of course, but 8 SIE published games is a solid figure, especially when we add on additional console exclusives like Silent Hill 2 Remake, FF7 Rebirth, ZZZ, Formstars, Granblue Fantasy Relink and more.

And allow me to explain how I think Sony are handling their marketing cycles from Showcase to Showcase. It's my guess and I think it makes sense. It also explains why I think we're about to have a banger of a Showcase in September:

I think it's all about Sony wanting to have a certain number of games out there in the "marketing sphere" for folks to focus on. From the last Showcase until now, they've had almost 2 dozen games/expansions actively being marketed and almost all of them will have released by the end of this year. The only announced games that will remain by the end of this year will be Marathon, Fairgame$, Wolverine and Physint. Now that the current "marketing sphere" is winding down, I think they'll kick off the next "marketing sphere". If this upcoming sphere is anything like the previous one, that means they'll probably aim to have about 20 or so console exclusives actively out there for folks to be focused on until the sphere after that where they'll repeat the process. Those could be first party studio games, expansions, XDEV games, or third party console exclusives. I think they're leaping from Showcase to Showcase where the intention is to have the majority of announced games released (or close to releasing) by the time the next Showcase drops.

That's my theory, at least. It makes a certain amount of sense. I mean, from the last Showcase until the end of this year if they have 20+ games being marketed, then how much more do they need to have officially announced before it becomes too much and there're diminishing returns on the hype? For example, here're the games that've been in the marketing sphere since the last Showcase in May 2023:

Spider-Man 2
Death Stranding 2
Marathon
Fairgame$
Concord
Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Final Fantasy 16 + DLCs
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Silent Hill 2
Foamstars
Stellar Blade
Rise of the Ronin
MLB24
Helldivers 2
Astro Bot
LEGO Horizon Adventure
Firewall Ultra
The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered
God of War Ragnarok Valhalla
Until Dawn PS5/PC
Wolverine
Physint

That's a LOT of games with some major bangers in there. They chose to focus on cleaning this plate before bringing on the next course, is what I'm saying. If they brought on the next plate while still in the middle of this one, then the food on that plate would just go cold in the meantime. Now that the first plate is almost empty they can bring on the next plate much closer to the release of those games, so they manage to build and maintain the hype while it's hot and not give it a chance to cool down. Hopefully the analogy held up there, lol.

Fabieter

Worst era of Sony ever, I still have nightmares over their 2012 lineup.
Either way, internally developed first-party games in 2011-2013, since you guys insist all the time that Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade are not first-party:
2011:

2012:

2013:

How is this the golden age of ANYTHING? But hey, their output in these years would look a lot better if we include the externally developed games, but since you guys insist all the time that Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade aren't first-party, then that's how it is...

Are the externally made game on ps3 owned by sony? If so that makes it a big difference to ronin and Stellar Blade;).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
DanceStar Party Hits
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Wonderbook: Book of Spells
Fake news.

2012 had

starhawk
ps all stars battle royale
twisted metal
Journey
ratchet and clank
uncharted vita
unit 13 vita

you also forgot infamous in 2011 and beyond in 2013. ps3 had a phenomenal first party lineup. no true sony fan would call it nightmare inducing.

nial

Are the externally made game on ps3 owned by sony? If so that makes it a big difference to ronin and Stellar Blade;).
Sony owns either game, just like Spider-Man, Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories, or the several Popolocrois games on PS1-PSP (which the development team has said several times they can't re-release without the permission of Sony). Or, you know, just like how Microsoft owns Sunset Overdrive, despite Sony owning the IP? 😉

Fabieter

Sony owns either game, just like Spider-Man, Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories, or the several Popolocrois games on PS1-PSP (which the development team has said several times they can't re-release without the permission of Sony). Or, you know, just like how Microsoft owns Sunset Overdrive, despite Sony owning the IP? 😉

Okay let me rephrase it. Can the devs of Stellar Blade and ronin release a sequel without sonys permission? And can the devs of the second party ps3 games release a sequel without sonys permission?

Killjoy-NL

That's their strategy though.

Release Gaas/mp day 1 because it makes sense, sp at a later date to squeeze a bit more money out of their games when sales on console pretty much dried up.

The ports for PC take little effort, so it's a bit of easy money while they let PC gamers build a PS library.

nial

Fake news.

2012 had

starhawk
ps all stars battle royale
twisted metal
Journey
ratchet and clank
uncharted vita
unit 13 vita

you also forgot infamous in 2011 and beyond in 2013. ps3 had a phenomenal first party lineup. no true sony fan would call it nightmare inducing.
Starhawk was developed by Lightbox Interactive, Twisted Metal was developed by Eat Sleep Play, Journey was developed by Thatgamecompany, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault was developed by Insomniac Games, and Infamous 2 was developed by Sucker Punch Productions (in the case of the latter two, before they were acquired by SCE); none of these count under the same metric this forum likes to shit SIE's 2024 lineup for.
Fair enough with the Vita games, but I was obviously focusing on their PS3 lineup, and also, Uncharted: Golden Abyss was released in 2011.
Bolded; I was specifically talking about 2012, which is probably the worst year ever for Sony publishing.
Okay let me rephrase it. Can the devs of Stellar Blade and ronin release a sequel without sonys permission? And can the devs of the second party ps3 games release a sequel without sonys permission?
No, that's not rephrasing it, you're just moving the goalposts. Insomniac could have very well released a Spider-Man sequel without Sony before they got acquired, that doesn't make the 2018 game less of a first-party.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Lol what? If you compare world sales on PS and Rise sales on Switch they're not going to be that far apart.

We can't say for sure anymore because we don't updated switch numbers just updates on all platforms but at one point it sold like half of world on one platform.

Starhawk was developed by Lightbox Interactive, Twisted Metal was developed by Eat Sleep Play, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault was developed by Insomniac Games, and Infamous 2 was developed by Sucker Punch Productions (in the case of the latter two, before they were acquired by SCE); none of these count under the same metric this forum likes to shit SIE's 2024 lineup for.
Fair enough with the Vita games, but I was obviously focusing on their PS3 lineup, and also, Uncharted: Golden Abyss was released in 2011.
Bolded; I was specifically talking about 2012, which is probably the worst year ever for Sony publishing.

No, that's not rephrasing it, you're just moving the goalposts. Insomniac could have very well released a Spider-Man sequel without Sony before they got acquired, that doesn't make the 2018 game less of a first-party.

Let's compare it to bloodborne or demons souls. All those ips you just mentioned to SlimySnake SlimySnake are fully owned by sony and ain't comparable to Stellar Blade and Ronin. You are moving the goalpost.

Bernardougf

Alot of games are 720p60 on series x and ps5. Like I said with switch 2 if Nintendo plays their cards right but IQ has a high chance to be at least better than with alot of ps5 games thanks to DLSS.
I think you are really overestimating what switch2 will be able to do ... but thats remains to be seen.

We can't say for sure anymore because we don't updated switch numbers just updates on all platforms but at one point it sold like half of world on one platform.

Let's be real. Xbox is nearly irrelevant if you're trying to do a sales split comparison. PC + PS made up like 90% of the sales, so the one platform vs three isnt nearly as impressive as you're making it

Last edited:

nial

Let's compare it to bloodborne or demons souls. All those ips you just mentioned to SlimySnake SlimySnake are fully owned by sony and ain't comparable to Stellar Blade and Ronin. You are moving the goalpost.
No, I'm not, because I already addressed that IP ownership has literally nothing to do with that.
This is what Insomniac said regarding Spider-Man being on Xbox One back in the day:

You know why? Because Sony owns the games.

IT'S RIGHT FUCKING THERE.

Last edited:

Fabieter

No, I'm not, because I already addressed that IP ownership has literally nothing to do with that.

This is what Insomniac said regarding Spider-Man being on Xbox One back in the day:

You know why? Because Sony owns the games.

IP right can't be pretty complicated but I wouldn't be so sure that insomniac could just use the same spiderman universe in a sequel. Licensed IPs are pretty fishy and a bad example all around for this matter.

So yes the Golden age of ps3 and ps4 was alot better than what Sony is offering now.

FeralEcho

Where exactly did I say that?

Tales out of your ass?

I said Sony has become the Xbox meme because the insiders are always hyping up their next show then when the show comes it's shit,then the insiders hype up that next year will be the year. Same shit they did with Xbox.

Bernardougf

So far, as we know:
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Marathon
  • Venom (if not delayed to 2027)
    • Possibly Lost Soul Aside (if delayed to 2025)
    • Possibly Cory's/SSM new IP (which could be Intergalactic :The Heretic Prophet)
    • Possibly Firesprite's next game (which could be Until Dawn 2)
    • Possibly Fairgame$
    • Possibly Ghost of Tsushima 2 (I think it's more likely for 2026 or 2027)

Never has been the case for Sony. They always had many first party and console exclusive releases every year (12 1st party games announced for this year + 3rd party exclusives), including goty winners or candidates almost every year.

Plus:
  • Convallaria
  • Lost Soul Aside
  • TLOU2 Remastered
  • Until Dawn remake
And the big expansion:
  • Destiny The Final Shape
And the PC ports of:
  • HFW
  • GoT DC
  • GoWR
Sony has exactly ZERO single player games from their western OWNED first party prime studios launched/announced for this year and the next , wich are the 4th and 5th year of the console lifecicle, they have only Astrobot from japan studio to account for. So for me personaly is a mess of a gen and terrible effort from Sony in this front. Second/third party games from outsourced studios are fine to fill the holes but are not the main reason I own playstation, never were. Gaas and MP dosent appeal to me. So this gaas push by sony really fucked up things for my taste.

If people are happy playing games not made by sony and/or the gaas shit they are making, well good for you/them.

But trying to say this gen is on par with the last 02 and everything is fine is a joke filled with copium.

Last edited:
Top Bottom