• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: COD:MW3 sees influx in cheaters following Xbox Game Pass debut

Astray

Piece is based on CharlieINTEL's tweet below:

No comment from Activision yet, though IG notes that they use machine learning for their Ricochet anti-cheat system, so we may see them find a solution to this detailed in a blogpost.

Found this on Twitter as well, which details the issue some more:

Last edited:

Kuranghi

The "machine" learns to block people playing via Game Pass, problem solved.

Outside of the context here who tf cheats in MP games, I can't think of anything more sad except IRL sports cheating.

To me it's like entering a child's sports day race as a 6ft tall man and shoulder barging all the tiny childen out the way and declaring yourself the winner 🤣

Astray

The "machine" learns to block people playing via Game Pass, problem solved.
Would be disasterous given that MS is placing great hopes on GP to grow the COD franchise.

Outside of the context here who tf cheats in MP games, I can't think of anything more sad except IRL sports cheating.
Cheating generally is sad, but at least IRL sports cheating comes with actual material rewards (cups, medals, money etc), this basically doesn't lol.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
What else would one expect from those nasty green rats

OIG2._Kz4tsvjZXTCYr0SLrK9

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Cheaters never left, they were just less obvious. Its the reason why I quit online gaming. Only very few online games have no bots/no cheaters such as LoL, but call of duty? That shit is an infested mess.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Cheaters never left, they were just less obvious. Its the reason why I quit online gaming. Only very few online games have no bots/no cheaters such as LoL, but call of duty? That shit is an infested mess.
I’m seriously teething on this brink as well and I love these types of games, but the amount of bullshit and incentivizing it has ruined the genre for me for the most part.

Hackers are usually the ones streaming it using any and all kinds of ways to get bot lobbies and or cause issues for others so they can make videos which generate money or streams which generate money and advertising for these games.

I have been finding myself gravitating towards other genres and solos games more often now knowing anything competitive will be a shit show.

This is one of the reasons I’m supportive of cloud gaming as it makes it much harder to cheat and levels the playing field.

hinch7

Yeah noticed this. Was playing over the weekend and noticed a huge amount of new players. Many low level, yet highly suspect players. This sucks.

Hopefully they can sort out their anti-cheat in time for Blops 6.

hinch7

PC players love to cheat, even if they’re smart game pass subscribers.
Worse because they can just create new throwaway accounts every time they get banned.

This is what killed CS Go/CS 2 for a lot of people. Valve simply stopped caring about tackling the cheating situation. Cheaters came in droves once it went free to play.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Yeah noticed this. Was playing over the weekend and noticed a huge amount of new players. Many low level, yet highly suspect players. This sucks.

Hopefully they can sort out their anti-cheat in time for Blops 6.
Honestly, I’ve lost faith that they will ever fix it and I think it’s partially by design. We’ve been dealing with this since the beginning of online gaming and there’s never a real solution all of the engines that they use all of the service systems in place allow months of cheaters to go on check and then they do a ban or two and then we wait for the next version of cod

There really does need to be console only MP, when I was playing I was the only PS person in my group and I felt bad because we had to deal with the PC crowd just because I was playing.

Most nights were fine but it is just so lame getting wall hacked, especially when the match happens to be going well. Shit like a Cronus is nothing compared to actual cheating.

clarky

Gold Member
They don't give a fuck. You should see the state of DMZ. Constant exploits for months now that ruin the experience. Can't believe they abandoned that mode.
Yeah I liked DMZ also, but obviously wasn't very popular. I gave up when they added the pay to win skins.

Hopefully Delta Force picks up where DMZ left off as the extraction mode looks promising.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I can’t say I’ve noticed cheaters in normal multiplayer. Do they just like to play Warzone?
Warzone cheating would be nothing to do with Gamepass as its free anyways.

Can't say I've noticed anything different in MP either tbh.

Last edited:

geary

And where's the evidence? Just a post on twitter without any link or analysis?
True journalism here...

clarky

Gold Member
And where's the evidence? Just a post on twitter without any link or analysis?
True journalism here...
Yeah this is bollocks. Warzone is free, why would gamepass result in an uptick in cheating?

Receipts required.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
There should really be a console only cross play option.
The tweet says they all show up as Xbox players. So either:
They can spoof being a console
There are cheats on Xbox
They weren't cheating

Only the last one makes console only option worthwhile.

There are cheats on Xbox
They weren't cheating

None of that nonsense, 'xbox' doesn't mean console, it simply means the xbox network, which is what you are using if you are playing via the ms store or the xbox app (obviously).

Three

There are cheats on Xbox
They weren't cheating

It says they're playing using PC gamepass (windows store version shows with xbox logo) so they're not spoofing consoles at all. They're PC gamepass hackers.

Last edited:
It says they're playing using PC gamepass (windows store version shows with xbox logo) so they're not spoofing consoles at all. They're PC gamepass hackers.
no they aren't, pc game pass is a subscription, warzone is free, these cheaters aren't using pc game pass.

Three

no they aren't, pc game pass is a subscription, warzone is free, these cheaters aren't using pc game pass.
Read what it says:
Many of the cheaters seem to be playing via PC Game Pass (Microsoft Store version) as they appear with "Xbox" logo in lobby and are using hacks.

Just because warzone is free doesn't mean that's not the version they're using. Installing MW3 installs COD HQ from which you can access Warzone too with the same PC Gamepass account.

Last edited:
Read what it says

Just because warzone is free doesn't mean that's not the version they're using. Installing MW3 installs COD HQ from which you can access Warzone too with the same PC Gamepass account.
I've read it and it's wrong, game pass is just a subscription, it has no bearing on whether or not you can play warzone because it's entirely free.

clarky

Gold Member
You don't if you install it separately but the version the account is using is supposedly a PC Gamepass/windows store version (they have the xbox logo there).
So just the windows store then. nothing to fo with gamepass.As the poster above says you dont need gamepass, the game is already free.

You don't if you install it separately but the version the account is using is supposedly a PC Gamepass/windows store version (they have the xbox logo there).
What are you not understanding? There is no such thing as a "pc gamepass version", game pass is just a subscription for retail games, warzone is not a retail game, it's free, you can install it and play it without every subscribing to game pass.

Three

I've read it and it's wrong, game pass is just a subscription, it has no bearing on whether or not you can play warzone because it's entirely free.
You've misunderstood entirely. It's not saying gamepass is a requirement for warzone. It's saying they've installed the gamepass version of MW3 ( with COD HQ available on windows store, warzone isn't there separately) and are using that version and the associated 'xbox' gamepass account for the hacks.

So just the windows store then. nothing to fo with gamepass.As the poster above says you dont need gamepass, the game is already free.
Is warzone on the windows store? How are they showing with the xbox logo do you think?

Last edited:

hinch7

Cheaters pay monthly for their subscriptions to cheat/hack tools developers and publishers.

I don't doubt there's people who are willing to spend $12 a month to play a game without care with a throwaway account, rather than risk their main account being banned.

Last edited:
You've misunderstood entirely. It's not saying gamepass is a requirement for warzone. It's saying they've installed the gamepass version of MW3 ( with COD HQ available on windows store, warzone isn't there separately) and are using that version and the associated 'xbox' gamepass account for the hacks.

Is warzone on the windows store? How are they showing with the xbox logo do you think?
You're the one misunderstanding, there.is.no.gamepass.version of any game because it's a subscription, so you don't need gamepass to access any of them since you can just buy them or in case of free game, play them for free.

And I'm not sure what you are talking about that it's not available:
zBS4cVW.jpeg

CgyLz9n.jpeg

hinch7

Honestly, I’ve lost faith that they will ever fix it and I think it’s partially by design. We’ve been dealing with this since the beginning of online gaming and there’s never a real solution all of the engines that they use all of the service systems in place allow months of cheaters to go on check and then they do a ban or two and then we wait for the next version of cod
Yep shits going to get worse unless they have a proper (and invasive) anti-cheat like Valorant has.

They can't even sort out things like Chronos on conosle.. So chances are, there's not going to be any big changes to Ricochet next game.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

Yes warzone is on the windows store.

Three

You're the one misunderstanding, there.is.no.gamepass.version of any game because it's a subscription, so you don't need gamepass to access any of them since you can just buy them or in case of free game, play them for free.

And I'm not sure what you are talking about that it's not available:
zBS4cVW.jpeg

CgyLz9n.jpeg
Do you not see "bundle" there? You have MW3 right there "Bundle". There are gamepass versions of games, that are downloaded from the windows store. People were complaining about the palworld version being behind on it. You look for Warzone on its own on the windows store. It won't show.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Do you not see "bundle" there? You have MW3 right there "Bundle". There are gamepass versions of games that are downloaded from the windows store people were complaining about the palworld version being behind on it. You look for Warzone on its own on the windows store. It won't show.
hQ6dHgX.png

Not sure why you find it so hard to believe free game is free. Taken directly from the windows store.

Like i said the tweet is bullshit with no receipts, then to top it off the article references MWIII when the tweet is talking about warzone.

Like other have said new season just started, COD is busiest during these times = more cheaters.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

So you can't even mod games you download from the windows store, but some jack asses got hacks running?

Maybe someone found a way to spoof windows store Warzone logins?

Last edited:

BigLee74

Another perfectly good reason why PC players should not be forced upon the console population (you can’t disable PC crossplay on Xbox).

As if M&K wasn’t enough of an advantage, they have to run cheats as well.

(Not all of them obviously, before panties start getting twisted 😉)

Top Bottom