• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

You'd have to have an owner confirm this but I believe there's no way to attach power to the iPad while plugged into an iCade.

Wrong.

E927C16C-648F-4639-904D-81C0B7F12751-8571-000005D010DB041E_zps224e32af.jpg

Sneakypete what did you use to stitch those together? Makes me want to play it again now after originally saying I'm going to delete it. infinite space was a great decision....

I dropbox'd the 3 screenshots and lined em up on my pc in Paint.NET(freebie photoshop-lite program).

You know you can just 'move' everything around at no cost into a more effective structure if you want to right? Tap a square and 'move' it.

I know, I rearranged a ton of stuff already.. kinda OCD, but at that point not many of my buildings were fully staffed and I had wasted so much land on the starter residential housing and I really didn't want to go through the effort of building a higher tier(ie lower land cost to higher occupancy ratio) house and destroying the lower ones one at a time. In my new game I'm around level 5 and already have the real estate(iirc) agency which gives you access to the higher tier houses - giving me a lot more land to use for businesses.

How do you change the background of the star-scape to that? Or is that the iPad version?

Nope, I'm on an iPhone 4. Once you get the observatory(iirc, just make an astronomer and check the building he allows you to build) you can use that building's ability to change between ~4-5 backgrounds.

Gaaraz

Spent the last day or so playing King Cashing - it's pretty much every thing I hate about iOS games, and I'm amazed there are no IAPs!

It's just mindless grinding after mindless grinding. Every single fucking battle just involves pressing the same button over, and over, and over again. And yet it was somewhat charming, and very addictive, and I'll never get those three hours back. Fuck.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Spent the last day or so playing King Cashing - it's pretty much every thing I hate about iOS games, and I'm amazed there are no IAPs!

It's just mindless grinding after mindless grinding. Every single fucking battle just involves pressing the same button over, and over, and over again. And yet it was somewhat charming, and very addictive, and I'll never get those three hours back. Fuck.

I liked it. I could play slot machines all day long.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
OMG!!
Puyo Puyo Quest is coming to iOS this year. And it's a puzzle RPG, with the puzzle elements being standard Puyo Puyo stuff it seems. This has the potential to be the best puzzle RPG ever released EVER.
Around spring. The game's gonna be F2P with IAP.
Teaser site: http://puyopuyoquest.sega-net.com/
Hype. I hope it's released in English and that it's not a Japanese store exclusive.

Great little game to spend a dollar on. I hope they get around to more before too long.

Quoting to get this more attention.

The Room was one of my favorite games of last year on any platform. It does a tremendous job of providing a great atmosphere while not overstaying its welcome.

I heard that it was laced with IAPs.

It's freemium and has IAPs, but they're not in your face and you can happily play the game without ever touching them. I think it's more suited to a phone than a tablet (unless you have a 3G tablet), but I'm loving it. The melding of location based gaming, MMO and RPG is really fun.

Once I figured out that splicing a new job that required land gave you a new building, and that the buildings would unlock abilities(like the bank that gives 2x to a fully staffed building or the observatory which lets you change the background), I got hooked. Also trying to figure out which to splice to fill the jobs needed to fill my buildings is pretty fun. So far the only u-points I've spent have been on 'decor', which gives you % decreases in the wait time on splicing and building, and trees that give you coins and the occasional u-point. I also enjoy the city planning aspect of the game. I feel like I should mention, I haven't spent any real money on this and don't plan on it. I read a review saying that after a few days it becomes necessary to use real money to acquire more land(in lieu of waiting multiple days coin generating), and if that is the case I'll probably stop playing.

Here's a quick and dirty shot of my town so far.. which was kind of planned as I went along, hence my desire to restart.

I can't get into Pixel People. I'm not feeling the way everything looks and the cluttered nature.

I LOVE Jurassic Park Builder. And I just started playing Megapolis, which gets cluttered too but you can break it up. You just earn money so damn slow.

I love games like these. Can anyone recommend more?

hort22

GAF can you recommend me something multiplayer...me and my friends are sick of words with friends and dice with buddies...something turn based like those games would be great.

GAF can you recommend me something multiplayer...me and my friends are sick of words with friends and dice with buddies...something turn based like those games would be great.

Bike Race, Paper Toss with Friends. Both turn based

Flick Kick Soccer and Slide Soccer. Both you play at the same time as your opponent.

ToxicAdam

Word Derby is pretty great as a replacement for Words with Friends.

Rekwest

New Temple Run: OZ Game Confirmed for February 27 Launch:
Temple Run 2 was only released three weeks ago, but we already have confirmation of the next game. A tweet by Disney France head Cecile Fouques revealed the info, but has since been deleted, Pocketgamer reports. Temple Run OZ will be based off the upcoming Oz The Great and Powerful film, and will presumably take you down the yellow brick road.
http://www.mactrast.com/2013/02/new-temple-run-oz-game-confirmed-for-february-27-launch/

New Temple Run: OZ Game Confirmed for February 27 Launch:
Temple Run 2 was only released three weeks ago, but we already have confirmation of the next game. A tweet by Disney France head Cecile Fouques revealed the info, but has since been deleted, Pocketgamer reports. Temple Run OZ will be based off the upcoming Oz The Great and Powerful film, and will presumably take you down the yellow brick road.
http://www.mactrast.com/2013/02/new-temple-run-oz-game-confirmed-for-february-27-launch/

Day 1

I can't get into Pixel People. I'm not feeling the way everything looks and the cluttered nature.

I LOVE Jurassic Park Builder. And I just started playing Megapolis, which gets cluttered too but you can break it up. You just earn money so damn slow.

I love games like these. Can anyone recommend more?

Wow thanks this looks like I'll love it, gonna give this a try while I'm doing laundry. Sorry I don't have any suggestions in return for this genre.

A completely unrelated game I was hooked too for awhile is Extreme Road Trip 2 - reminds me of the old flash based Trials/skateboard type games.

Wow thanks this looks like I'll love it, gonna give this a try while I'm doing laundry. Sorry I don't have any suggestions in return for this genre.

A completely unrelated game I was hooked too for awhile is Extreme Road Trip 2 - reminds me of the old flash based Trials/skateboard type games.

There's nothing not to love. The dinos change colors after every evolve. You can customize the park. Tons of decorations. The game is awesome.

I plan on getting an iPad 4 in the next week.. i have a iphone 4s now with tons of apps and games,, can i play games like Final Fantasy 1/2, Bastion , Jet Set Radio and more on iPad and if so how does it look? Are there different versions of the same games for ipad?

I plan on getting an iPad 4 in the next week.. i have a iphone 4s now with tons of apps and games,, can i play games like Final Fantasy 1/2, Bastion , Jet Set Radio and more on iPad and if so how does it look? Are there different versions of the same games for ipad?

Some games have ipad support so they run at the native ipad res and move the buttons about, if not then the ipad runs it like a regular iphone app with black bars along the top and bottom.

Most HD versions of apps are really ipad versions, just a stupid gimmick name everyone went with when the ipad was new.

PittaGAF

Speaking of async games I know I'm late to the party but Lost Cities is fantastic.
Bought 2 days ago and it prevented me to complete both Clash of Heroes and Little Inferno (both amazing games, mind you).

heringer

If you don't buy this game you hate games.

Btw I'm mostly lurking this thread now while I'm in honeymoon phase with my shiny new Vita but I still love all my iOS homies and I won't forget youse.

Ah, dat awesome "my shiny new toy" feeling. Only surpassed by being in love for the first time.

It will wear off though. You'll be back.

dock

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'm working through some of them.
Dungeon Raid I already knew and dislike, because of the diagonals, horrible art/audio, and generally it didn't click with me. I can see the appeal, but no thanks.

Pixel Defenders Puzzle is fantastic. It's also a game no one seems to know about.

It sounds like it's tower defense, but it's more like Triple Town meets Clash of Heroes-

https://itunes.apple.com/app/pixel-defenders-puzzle/id558503628
Yeah, it's pretty good!
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been getting sick of Triple Town because of bugs and other things, but this is a decent replacement. Once you realise that you need to use all but one of the attacks on each type it becomes pretty strategic. I hope it gets harder though.

That said, if it does ramp up in difficulty there's always the suspicion that it'll be to sell IAP. The IAP are in there, and there's also a horrible stock of level breaking items.

Wow, I'm super pissed. I left my iPad updating to 6.1 over the night, then I woke up and the iPad is with the Connect to iTunes thing. Had to download 6.1 all over again, and my iCloud saved I did before didn't save or something.

Had to use one from 2012 December, and lost progress in a bunch of games...ARC Squadron is probably the worst since I have to start from zero. UGH

Fairway Solitarie also got fucked. Goddammit.

So Pixel People got me hankering for some more World Maintenance games. Gave Dragonsomething and Robotsomething and Jurassic Park Something a spin and nothing really grabbed me.

Then I tried No Zombies Allowed and, oh yes, that did the trick.

I'd tried Happy Street Something a whole back and it was fun for about a day but then I lost interest. I went back to Tiny Tower and once you stop for a while, going back and trying to juggle employees and preferences had just lost its lustre.

Any other gems in this "genre" I might be missing?

Finally upgraded from a 4 to a 5. Wasn't all that excited until I held the phone in my hands. So much lighter, much more elegant. I'm in love.

I never owned an iphone 4 but had a 4g touch, while it's smaller and slimmer it weighs more then my iphone 5 in a rubber bumper! 5 really is quite light and I love it.

I always wanted a big screen phone but I honestly think I prefer the smaller size over having a 5.5inch screen in my pocket.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So Pixel People got me hankering for some more World Maintenance games. Gave Dragonsomething and Robotsomething and Jurassic Park Something a spin and nothing really grabbed me.

Then I tried No Zombies Allowed and, oh yes, that did the trick.

I'd tried Happy Street Something a whole back and it was fun for about a day but then I lost interest. I went back to Tiny Tower and once you stop for a while, going back and trying to juggle employees and preferences had just lost its lustre.

This is probably the most obvious recommendation, but since you didn't mention it, have you played Pocket Planes? If I had to recommend one game from the time waster management genre, it would be the one.

ToxicAdam

Try The Tribez. It's free and has really great graphics. It has a very nice progression system that keeps you hooked for the first 3-4 hours. No real paywalls either.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-tribez/id511317727?mt=8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom