• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rekwest

So Pixel People got me hankering for some more World Maintenance games. Gave Dragonsomething and Robotsomething and Jurassic Park Something a spin and nothing really grabbed me.

Then I tried No Zombies Allowed and, oh yes, that did the trick.

I'd tried Happy Street Something a whole back and it was fun for about a day but then I lost interest. I went back to Tiny Tower and once you stop for a while, going back and trying to juggle employees and preferences had just lost its lustre.

Any other gems in this "genre" I might be missing?

Megapolis.

So Pixel People got me hankering for some more World Maintenance games. Gave Dragonsomething and Robotsomething and Jurassic Park Something a spin and nothing really grabbed me.

Then I tried No Zombies Allowed and, oh yes, that did the trick.

I'd tried Happy Street Something a whole back and it was fun for about a day but then I lost interest. I went back to Tiny Tower and once you stop for a while, going back and trying to juggle employees and preferences had just lost its lustre.

Any other gems in this "genre" I might be missing?

I played NZA for a bit but it is basically just Tiny Tower but sideways, slower, and stingier with premium currency. It was okay while it lasted but I didn't miss it at all when I stopped. There aren't really many games that get the balance of free currency where it should be to benefit the player, I'm pretty sure they've all been mentioned.

I tried that once, kept misjudging my moves and driving off the track and then waiting hours to try again.

Unfun.

You can do pass and play on one device and just race against yourself, it's obviously not that exciting but it's good practice to learn tracks or the mechanics of the game. Silly to write it off just because you sucked at first!

Try The Tribez. It's free and has really great graphics. It has a very nice progression system that keeps you hooked for the first 3-4 hours. No real paywalls either.

Bunch of Facebook shit, though. Or at least when I played it a few months back.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bunch of Facebook shit, though. Or at least when I played it a few months back.

It's really not. You get a message when you finish a goal or level up (like every other game of its kind), which you push the button in the bottom middle "ok" or something to close the message. I guess there's an option to publish it to your wall or tweet it for extra premium currency, but you can only cash in on that a single time. Regardless, I've probably hit close to a million windows in that one, and never accidentally hit a facebook button once. The game has no social system either, unlike some that require you to add friends to progress, so I don't get why you're so against it in this manner.

One of the key differences in Tribez, is the premium currency is not needed to build anything for quest completion, and it's extremely easy to ignore it completely. All buildings can be bought with the in game currencies that you earn very easily.

shuri

Banned
Just got an ipad 4, i cant believe how powerful it is; GTA3 is smooooth on it.

- So what are the major cool games with airplay so far? Google is always giving me the 10 games and it's pretty annoying.

- Are there any non-junk controllers now out for the ipad? I saw some small controllers but they were rather shit looking..

- Any interesting mecha strategy game available? Back when I got my ipad, I somewhat enjoyed that Call of Azerht (or whatever) game that was ok, but I wondering if there's any new suggestions..

Toythatkills, why are all your villagers in Happy Street sad?

Because I'm a dick!

(I've only got the fortune wheel and the dungeon stocked because otherwise the taxi and the bus keeps skipping them, and I need to get enough Flooz before the Chinese stuff goes away. They'll be happy in a couple of weeks!)

Maybe I'll give Tribez another go, then, I just recall being forced to do something on Facebook in the tutorial and I was like "yeah, no."

You can do pass and play on one device and just race against yourself, it's obviously not that exciting but it's good practice to learn tracks or the mechanics of the game. Silly to write it off just because you sucked at first!

A valid point! But I got async fun covered with all my board/card games.

And I don't think i'm going to embark on any new Managefests. I tried Pocket Planes and it was almost too fast/complicated. Between Simpsons: Tapped Out, Pixel People, No Zombies Allowed, and Clash of Clans, I think I'm good.

Speaking of, I built the Clan Fortress, is there a GAF Clan?

And I don't think i'm going to embark on any new Managefests. I tried Pocket Planes and it was almost too fast/complicated. Between Simpsons: Tapped Out, Pixel People, No Zombies Allowed, and Clash of Clans, I think I'm good.

Pocket Planes was pretty bad, really, Nimblebit kinda dropped the ball on that one.

Pocket Planes was pretty bad, really, Nimblebit kinda dropped the ball on that one.

Yeah.

What gets boring with NZA? I really love the art style and the occasional variety of mini games and shooting zombies and stuff. I mean, at some point I've drifted away from every game of this type so I guess I can see it happening.

Yeah.

What gets boring with NZA? I really love the art style and the occasional variety of mini games and shooting zombies and stuff. I mean, at some point I've drifted away from every game of this type so I guess I can see it happening.

I think the problem for me was that it was all very samey, as any game of this type is, but NZA required a lot more "work" to get the most out of it so it got boring quite quickly. The amount of effort you put in doesn't match the fun you get out.

It also performed pretty crappily on the 3GS I was using at the time, which didn't help.

Heel

PinWar is coming out tonight and looks pretty interesting. Has local co-op missions, create your own tables etc.

Trailer

mzl.zobfkznu.480x480-75.jpg

PFD

Wow, I'm super pissed. I left my iPad updating to 6.1 over the night, then I woke up and the iPad is with the Connect to iTunes thing. Had to download 6.1 all over again, and my iCloud saved I did before didn't save or something.

Had to use one from 2012 December, and lost progress in a bunch of games...ARC Squadron is probably the worst since I have to start from zero. UGH

Fairway Solitarie also got fucked. Goddammit.

I tried icloud backup once, never again. Always backup to itunes if you wanna be 100% sure. It's also much faster.

I tried icloud backup once, never again. Always backup to itunes if you wanna be 100% sure. It's also much faster.

The last time I plugged in my iPad to a PC with iTunes running, it deleted half the apps on my iPad for no apparent reason - and the data for those apps was just plain gone after reinstalling the missing apps. An iCloud device backup was able to get me back to a week-old state. I haven't let iTunes infect my PC since.

Hela

I recently played Pixel People for a day since I thought it'd scratch that same itch that Kairosoft games do, but it didn't. Even though it is charming I see absolutely no point in playing it. There just doesn't seem to be any endgame at all other than discovering every job and that isn't grabbing me whatsoever.

WoolyNinja

The last time I plugged in my iPad to a PC with iTunes running, it deleted half the apps on my iPad for no apparent reason - and the data for those apps was just plain gone after reinstalling the missing apps. An iCloud device backup was able to get me back to a week-old state. I haven't let iTunes infect my PC since.

It was probably because you had 'Sync Apps' selected in iTunes for your iPad. When you do that iTunes uses itself as the master and assumes you've been syncing with iTunes the entire time.

Just got an ipad 4, i cant believe how powerful it is; GTA3 is smooooth on it.

- So what are the major cool games with airplay so far? Google is always giving me the 10 games and it's pretty annoying.

- Are there any non-junk controllers now out for the ipad? I saw some small controllers but they were rather shit looking..

- Any interesting mecha strategy game available? Back when I got my ipad, I somewhat enjoyed that Call of Azerht (or whatever) game that was ok, but I wondering if there's any new suggestions..
Im getting one within the next week , im wondering if 16G will be enough,, mainly using it for gamming and the web ,, pix and music are all on my iphone.
I really dont wanna spend that extra 100$ ,, thoughts?
I am also curious about an ipad controller first ive heard of this .

Flunkie

Banned
Holy shit, I never thought to make a GAF Clash of Clans clan. We need one! Who wants to organize it? I'm like level 40 now I think.

GWX

Peggle is such a great game, but the iPad app could be much better. The visuals lacks retina resolution and the interface is clunky. Plants vs Zombies HD is much more polished, in comparison. Update it, EA/PopCap!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm crazy for Peggle, but I find it less than ideal on my phone. Aiming is pretty clunky. In my opinion, Bejeweled (the full game, not Blitz) is still PopCap's best work on iOS.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
I'm crazy for Peggle, but I find it less than ideal on my phone. Aiming is pretty clunky. In my opinion, Bejeweled (the full game, not Blitz) is still PopCap's best work on iOS.
Nonsense. Plants vs. Zombies is , no question .

played through climax twice now, it's a 4/5 for me for a few minor reasons.

Controlling speed is annoying with touch controls, for an arcade game where you need to speed up and slow down at points it doesn't sit well with touch sliders.

The new sounds, the bombs are twice as loud as they need to be and whistle, the new rocket sound has a silent pause at the beginning so the rocket will sound like it's lagging behind your button presses, not good for keeping count of how many shots you just did in the heat of battle.

Climax works as normal but you have to stay in it for half a bar now, sometimes that feels a little too long.

Vulcan cannon is useless, you get no feedback hitting anything and it feels like you are shooting through stuff, taking down the stealth bomber is luck dependent.

At one point in the mountains the game stopped loading the scenery and I was flying around an empty space with enemies on screen.

The climax soundtrack does not loop! it plays, ends, starts again and feels really cheap. The classic soundtrack seems fine.

No voices outside of two areas telling you about the stealth bomber immune to rockets and the floodlights, that is it.

Not one single cut scene, you get ranked at the end with "ending c" or "ending a" but no scene plays out, just your fighter flying into unlimited space.

Im getting one within the next week , im wondering if 16G will be enough,, mainly using it for gamming and the web ,, pix and music are all on my iphone.
I really dont wanna spend that extra 100$ ,, thoughts?
I am also curious about an ipad controller first ive heard of this .

I use my iPad primarily for gaming and I couldn't live on a 16GB device. Very glad I went for 32GB.

Also, I have one of these controllers and it works like a charm on my iPad 3:

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...a=X&ei=1m4TUe_5FYXZsga35ICYDQ&ved=0CFAQ8wIwAA

SmokyDave

Afterburner Climax is on my phone!

I reckon it'll play better on the iPad / iPad Mini as I'm finding the control a little bit cramped. They've also cut corners here & there in the transition which is a bit of a shame. Regardless, Afterburner Climax is now on my phone. Crazy. Wish it was on my Vita too.

Great Big War Game is also free, I loved the first one (Little War Game) so this looks great.

Niiiiiiice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom