• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Dom

What's everybody's opinion on Blitz Brigade by Gameloft??

I know it's a free download but how much game do you get before having to pay?

Team Fortress 2 is one of my all time favourite games. Can this really be described as a "pocket" Team Fortress??

Team Fortress 2 is one of my all time favourite games. Can this really be described as a "pocket" Team Fortress??

Well its Gameloft so I would guess its like TF if your first ripped out its soul, forgot to do any balancing and then charged 4 times the amount valve do for hats.

Its how all there other games go.

However I havn't played it yet so I dont know.

Anilones

Actually Avadon is better, more streamlined and stand-alone story, but no harm in jumping in at the deep end when it's on sale (pretty steep cost at full price).

I would actually say Baldurs Gate would be the best as it's the 2nd best CRPG of all time (after it's sequel) but it isn't on sale...

Thanks for the comments, I think I'll give it a miss for the time being and give Avadon or Baldurs Gate a go in the future.

Avernum: Escape From the Pit would be a better place to start as it is a remake of the first game of the series, and as it is Spiderweb's latest release, has a lot of improvements over Avadon and Avernum 6.
Unfortunately it's not on sale.

Avernum it is. Thanks.

krYlon

As someone who has never played a CRPG, is Avernum 6 a good place to start?

Avernum: Escape From the Pit would be a better place to start as it is a remake of the first game of the series, and as it is Spiderweb's latest release, has a lot of improvements over Avadon and Avernum 6.
Unfortunately it's not on sale.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

It's TF2/BF: Heroes mashed together, devoid of the charms that both of those titles have respectively.

It's also ridiculously easy to hack, even sans jailbreak, to get unlimited currencies for IAPs and whatnot (kill all on screen perk woop) so I don't expect this to have any long lasting value in terms of satisfying gameplay..

It's TF2/BF: Heroes mashed together, devoid of the charms that both of those titles have respectively.

It's also ridiculously easy to hack, even sans jailbreak, to get unlimited currencies for IAPs and whatnot (kill all on screen perk woop) so I don't expect this to have any long lasting value in terms of satisfying gameplay..

So have they made yet another shooter with buy to win IAP's? Totally ruins the online side of these games.

Sadly the best online shooter on mobile, shadowgun, got updated with boosters you cna buy to up your defence and attack etc. Its not as bad as buying kill streaks but anything where you pay money and get a big advantage ruins the game in my opinion. Before the update it was all cosmetic or exp boosters which is fine. Shame as the game was great.

not sure if mentioned, but tabletop racing is FREE. It's quite good from the 10 min I've played so far. 60fps.

The lack of manual breaking and accelerating is a bit weird, but it works.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So have they made yet another shooter with buy to win IAP's? Totally ruins the online side of these games.

Sadly the best online shooter on mobile, shadowgun, got updated with boosters you cna buy to up your defence and attack etc. Its not as bad as buying kill streaks but anything where you pay money and get a big advantage ruins the game in my opinion. Before the update it was all cosmetic or exp boosters which is fine. Shame as the game was great.

It's IAP'd all over the place, in-game currency stuff used for buying all sorts of perks/guns etc.

blitz brigade still plays decently though. It's free, so no real reason not to give it a shot.

Didn't think iap really did much for MC4. It's really hackers that fuck shit up in these games... but gameloft 'promises' that they will be more aggressive for hackers (for mc4 at the very least).

Kunan

Mmm gotta get myself some frozen synapse. That and xcom have been square in my line of site for quite awhile now! When not totally addicted to Ascension of course lol

I felt really dumb when I finally found the toggle for 3 and 4 player ascension yesterday. Oh well, now my friends are doomed to play it with me even more!

RustyO

Any thoughts on Bastion on an iPhone?

All good? Or too fiddly / clunky?

Yeah not bad, obviously better on the iPad but it's serviceable on the phone.

I actually prefer it on iPhone over iPad. Less finger area to swipe in to move around the game.

Thanks.

Have nabbed it and I'll see how it goes. Played the demo on XBox; but wasn't that sold on it. Worst case scenario is a wasted dollar; or buy it somewhere else.

clockpunk

Really hope Agricola see's release either today or tomorrow - been very much looking forward to that, but the lack of *any* marketting, or even screenshots, worries me a little...

ToxicAdam

Is it just a ripoff of Recetear?

Not really. The combat is turn-based and the product you sell is dependent on resource gathering/recipe collecting.

There's also a little bit of logic/puzzle solving involved in figuring out all the different recipes you can make.

The big difference (to me) is that Recetear has a storyline that will carry you all the way to the end, ABS's story is pretty shitty and you will get bored about 3/4 of the way through. The 'story triggers' are too far apart later on.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
On that note, Recettear on iOS would be so, so good. They could cut out all of the dungeon crawling for all I care, I just want some of that Item Shop Sim hotness in my pocket.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
For crosswords on the iPad I really like Crosswords by Stand Alone.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crosswords/id284036524?mt=8

As far as Sudoku, not sure. I had the EA one but it's not universal.
My fave Sudoku app is Social Sudoku by Cluemaster. I don't know if it still exists on the store, but it has multiple difficulties, modes, looks nice and has multiplayer over Game Center :p it was released before 'social' as we now know it took off so it's not the bad kind.

igor

My current addiction: 100 Heroes by Kotaro Yoshida of Half Minute Hero fame.

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/bai-ren-yong-zhe/id463172823?mt=8

You're a king and you order heroes to go fight monsters. Manage their equps, adventure timing and it's a stupid amount of fun. Never spent 99 cents better.

Is it in English? I set up an account on japanese iTunes today just to check out Metal Gear Solid Social Ops (what a dreadful "game") and got this for free, but language barrier in this case was a bit too much for me to get what exactly I am supposed to do.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Everytime I see Frozen Synapse, all I can think about is that stupid movie

111672643_amazoncom-antitrust-poster-c-27x40-ryan-phillippe-tim-.jpg

A movie including amazing quotes such as:

man i always had a soft spot for that movie. might have to rewatch it soon :lol

PFD

Apparently Frozen Synapse runs just fine on the iPad 1. That's fantastic for for those who still have it.

jlevel13

I'm enjoying Table Top Racing more than I thought it would... Controls are pretty good (I'd had the impression they weren't). Only issue for me is that the game crashes after most races...

PFD

Ahhh, I'm not rooted. :(

Check out games 700509 and 702171 for some of my finer moments lol

lol @ the double grenade kill in that first game. Is there a 10-turn limit on matches? I wasn't aware you could finish with a draw.

Heel

lol @ the double grenade kill in that first game. Is there a 10-turn limit on matches? I wasn't aware you could finish with a draw.

It's been ranged from 8-10 turns for me. Check the upper right next to the user names for the turn limit, I think?

I can't believe my guy didnt see the sniper in game 2. Could've had the complete Rambo comeback lol

Had this since launch and it's really good. There's an interesting mechanic within to encourage replaying levels and there's effectively like 500 puzzles to solve. It'll take a while.

None of you guys are playing Bombcats? It's made by the Radian Games guy (who released a bunch of great XBL Indie titles) and it's pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuowWOY2VzU

I've played a few levels and it all seems incredibly "standard physics-puzzler" so far. I like that IAPs aren't necessary but I think he's going to regret that decision because I can't actually see where anyone would care to spend money. Like every other physics puzzler, it's just kind of soulless. Cute for the sake of cute but ultimately there's nothing unique there.

PFD

Battle of the Bulge is getting a lite version that includes the short 'race to the Meuse' scenario. However, if any of your friends have the full version, they can invite you to a full match involving any of the game's scenarios. I think that's a great idea.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'd recommend Adventure Bar Story while its free. Perfect handheld game, bite size, non-instrusive and really entertaining. It's lighthearted and light weight version of Recetter. That game is superior, but since its not on iOS ABS fills that whole quite nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom