• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downloaded Bastion, MageGauntlet and Xmen. Bastion has blown me away so far, never expected that from an iOS game. MageGauntlet is fun, but has a slow start. Hoping it gets better later.

I bought bastion at the weekend and played it through over the following few days. Had so much fun with it. art style, narration and music were all amazing. Story was well told and pretty interesting. Best Mobile game I have played in a long while. Infact its the best game I have played for a few months at the very least.

MageGauntlet is a fun game. Best bit about it is its amazing movement controls that no one has copied for some insane reason.

SteveWD40

What is Frozen Synapse and why are y'all excited for it?

One of the better PC indie titles of the last few years, essentially the planning phase from early Rainbow Six games crafted into a multiplayer async wargame.

iPad port is really good, only issues are no retina it seems and the UI is a little messy, but I have been running it on the mini and it's a dream as far as I am concerned.

Edit: it has xplatform mp as well, with PC and Mac.

I had never heard of it before this thread. Did anyone get it?

It is a very hardcore strategy game. In general terms, think of it like playing counter strike, but instead of a real time fps, you get a top down turn based game. The idea is you build up the list of "actions" that your team will take, such as moving, aiming and shooting etc. Then you simulate it all based on known or presumed enemy positions and finally play it all out and see how you go.

To me it has a VERY high barrier to entry. But if you ever wanted something serious and deep on your ipad, this will do the job.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
It is a very hardcore strategy game. In general terms, think of it like playing counter strike, but instead of a real time fps, you get a top down turn based game. The idea is you build up the list of "actions" that your team will take, such as moving, aiming and shooting etc. Then you simulate it all based on known or presumed enemy positions and finally play it all out and see how you go.

To me it has a VERY high barrier to entry. But if you ever wanted something serious and deep on your ipad, this will do the job.

It isnt that hardcore or difficult. Pretty simple. You plan and execute your moves. Your opponent does the same. Then both sets of moves execute at the same time and you view the results. Then you repeat. Not intimidating at all. The biggest stress comes from trying to predict your opponents next moves while knowing he is doing the same for you. It becomes a serious mind game.

It isnt that hardcore or difficult. Pretty simple. You plan and execute your moves. Your opponent does the same. Then both sets of moves execute at the same time and you view the results. Then you repeat. Not intimidating at all. The biggest stress comes from trying to predict your opponents next moves while knowing he is doing the same for you. It becomes a serious mind game.

Holy shit. I kinda want to play this now.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Never played a Kairosoft game before, but have the itch to pick up Game Dev Story. Worth it? Really wish there was an "HD" version for the iPad, but oh well.

Absolutely. It's probably my second favourite iOS title. Kairosoft titles can be a massive time sink. When GP Story came out I think I unintentionally lost an entire weekend to that (heheh).

The cartoon like graphics scale well. I've put in loads of hours into both on my aging iPad 2 and graphics were never a concern.

How many of you have picked up Frozen Synapse? I'm hanging out for it but $7 is a bit too much for me to bite right now

SteveWD40

so frozen synapse translates well? It definitely wasn't a simple game, control wise on mouse keyboard, curious about this version.

Been fine for me, UI is a bit cluttered but they tried radial menus and it took to long to plan moves. It also seems to process AI moves quicker.

Owzers

Big sale on Le Havre , Tikal, Tigris and Euphrates, and Ra , all 99 cents
Never played any, but I like ipad board games

^^^ mentioned in the previous page

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The latest PikPok game is out - Turbo Racing League for iOS, Android and Windows Phone (the latter version coming online in about 10 hours). Its a casual arcade racing game themed around racing snails based on the Dreamworks Turbo movie releasing in July.

mzl.tdxzhusq.320x480-75.jpg

Should be available everywhere on iOS now and Android in the next hour or so if not there already for you. US App Store link below
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/turbo-racing-league/id604752655?ls=1&mt=8

Yes, it has IAP and ads. But I suspect it will be of particular interest to GAF for reasons that will become more apparent tomorrow

Here is the reason to maybe pay more attention on this one -

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130516-908801.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

"DreamWorks Animation Makes Mobile History With the Turbo Racing League App and the $1,000,000 Shell-Out

GLENDALE, Calif, May 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc. (Nasdaq: DWA) redefines a snail's pace and makes mobile history with the action-packed Turbo Racing League App and the $1,000,000 Shell-Out Contest Presented By Verizon. The game, which is inspired by DreamWorks Animation's upcoming summer film Turbo about a snail who gains super-speed, will feature the first contest of its kind to shell-out one million dollars in total cash prizes."

More info and eligibility requirements at the link.

Big sale on Le Havre , Tikal, Tigris and Euphrates, and Ra , all 99 cents
Never played any, but I like ipad board games

^^^ mentioned in the previous page

If you are interested in Le Havre then you might also like to know (if you don't already) that Playdek have submitted Agricola last Saturday so perhaps it will be ready by next week.
I'm really looking forward to it.

chris121580

Absolutely loving Frozen Synapse. Love the UI. Makes it so much easier to plan moves that way. The PC version is a little overwhelming with having to remember how to do things and the UI on the iPad version makes it so you don't have to

PFD

Here is the reason to maybe pay more attention on this one -

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130516-908801.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

"DreamWorks Animation Makes Mobile History With the Turbo Racing League App and the $1,000,000 Shell-Out

GLENDALE, Calif, May 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc. (Nasdaq: DWA) redefines a snail's pace and makes mobile history with the action-packed Turbo Racing League App and the $1,000,000 Shell-Out Contest Presented By Verizon. The game, which is inspired by DreamWorks Animation's upcoming summer film Turbo about a snail who gains super-speed, will feature the first contest of its kind to shell-out one million dollars in total cash prizes."

More info and eligibility requirements at the link.

From the link:

To compete for real cash prizes in the $1,000,000 Shell-Out Presented By Verizon, eligible* players must achieve Daily Goals or obtain sufficient tomatoes throughout the game to unlock access into the weekly Contest. Once in the race, players can show off their driving skills on specific Contest race tracks during an eight week qualifying period of weekly Preliminary Races starting on May 16, 2013 and continuing until July 7, 2013. Each week, the ten fastest racers will win cash prizes up to $25,000.

Each of the eight weekly first place finishers will earn an invitation to the Grand Finale Race Event in Los Angeles to compete against each other for the chance to earn the title of Turbo Racing League Champion and the Grand Prize of $250,000! The final race will be held in Los Angeles on July 17, 2013, in conjunction with the theatrical premiere of Turbo.

The question is, is this US only?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The question is, is this US only?

Yes.

Here are the strict legal eligibility requirements from the link -

*Turbo Racing League $1,000,000 Shell-Out Contest begins on May 16, 2013 and ends on July 17, 2013. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Airtime, message & data rates may apply for app download & use. US Adults only. VOID in AZ, IA, LA, ND and VT. Age restrictions and other eligibility requirements apply. For complete Contest eligibility requirements, rules, terms and conditions, please visit: www.turbomovie.com/shelloutrules.html. Sponsors: DreamWorks Animation LLC, 1000 Flower Street, Glendale, CA 91201 and Prodigy Design Limited/Pik Pok- Level 7, Willbank House, 57 Willis Street, Wellington, New Zealand.

Thanati

I just grabbed frozen synapse.

I don't like iOS gaming. I've played a fair few games but they're all nothing compared to a console or PC for me, nothing but a time waster. However, Frozen Synapse is fantastic! I had a 'quick' play last night and ended up playing for 2 hours!

The UI is messy though. But the game is highly recommended!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yes.

Here are the strict legal eligibility requirements from the link -

*Turbo Racing League $1,000,000 Shell-Out Contest begins on May 16, 2013 and ends on July 17, 2013. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Airtime, message & data rates may apply for app download & use. US Adults only.

-__-

Dash Kappei

I just grabbed frozen synapse.

I don't like iOS gaming. I've played a fair few games but they're all nothing compared to a console or PC for me, nothing but a time waster. However, Frozen Synapse is fantastic! I had a 'quick' play last night and ended up playing for 2 hours!

The UI is messy though. But the game is highly recommended!

Sounds like you haven't looked hard enough and informed yourself better, since there's A TON of stuff comparable to Frozen Synapse's "meaty PC-like" experience on iOS' library this day and age. Quite different than, say, what it was less than 2 years ago.
Some things also changed for the worse (freemiums w/ iap) but it doesn't concern those kind of games usually.

putermcgee

The next book, Khare, is slightly bigger, the third, The Seven Serpents is about the same size, however they will seem longer as they are not as non-linear as the first book I think. They are also harder.
The last book, Crown of Kings, is MASSIVE. I think bigger than the first three put together. And very difficult.

As far as other Fighting Fantasy books are concerned, are you talking about apps in particular, or are you interested in the books as well?
Awesome, I'm really looking forward to these. And I'm definitely only interested in the apps. I don't have room for more books at home, and I'd probably end up ditching them next time I move anyway.

Anyone's opinion on Star Command improve after the update that released today?
I wasn't having trouble with the difficulty, and that's even after I've been playing more on my iPhone than iPad. That said, I do like that they upped the amount of crew you can hire. That helped a lot on some later missions.

Pro Tip: You can replay missions. You don't always get the same rewards, but you'll get something at least, plus experience for your crew.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Best MP 2 player vs strategy game and you all should get it. BEST. I bought the port and the port seems decent. The UI seems a bit cluttered because of all the stuff you can do, but I just played a game and it worked fine.

PFD

Don't let the cluttered UI intimidate you in Frozen Synapse. They had to do it like that to improve the gameplay experience for the touch screen. The way it was originally done on PC involved too many clicks.

The game really isn't all that hard to get into, but there's definitely lots of depth to it since you can control every minute little detail in combat. There's a ton of variables to adjust. But you don't have to fine-tune all your moves at first. Just start with the basics, and gradually add more complexity to your tactics.

Awesome, I'm really looking forward to these. And I'm definitely only interested in the apps. I don't have room for more books at home, and I'd probably end up ditching them next time I move anyway.

I wasn't having trouble with the difficulty, and that's even after I've been playing more on my iPhone than iPad. That said, I do like that they upped the amount of crew you can hire. That helped a lot on some later missions.

Pro Tip: You can replay missions. You don't always get the same rewards, but you'll get something at least, plus experience for your crew.

I love how you can pretty much grind forever on zombie missions as long as the ship is still alive I think.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I haven't tried or bought game dev story yet, because it's a sim. I hate managing resources, the planning... Pretty much everything associated with sims and rts is an immediate turn-off for me. I hear so much praise for it though, so I'm always tempted to try it for the hell of it. Are the people who enjoy this game despite hating sims in general?

sqwarlock

What are the best sudoku and crossword apps for iOS at the moment. Free or paid, doesn't matter to me. I like the NY Times app for crosswords, but I'm not sure if I want to pay a subscription to get the most out of it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I haven't tried or bought game dev story yet, because it's a sim. I hate managing resources, the planning... Pretty much everything associated with sims and rts is an immediate turn-off for me. I hear so much praise for it though, so I'm always tempted to try it for the hell of it. Are the people who enjoy this game despite hating sims in general?

It's less of a sim than you'd think, certainly less so than some of their other games. By which I mean there's no choosing where to put stuff, or anything like that. It's quite fun though, mainly because we all like video games. There's a free lite version if you're intrigued?

to an extent. Don't burn yourself out on them though. They are all quite similar. :)

Yeah, the thing with Kairosoft is probably to just buy the ones that contain subject matter which interests you, because there's so many of them now that even doing that is going to get you five or six (awesome) games.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's less of a sim than you'd think, certainly less so than some of their other games. By which I mean there's no choosing where to put stuff, or anything like that. It's quite fun though, mainly because we all like video games. There's a free lite version if you're intrigued?

I did. I usually suck at these kind of games and this is no exception. Made two games, they both flopped and ended with 1k in the bank :/

Keasar

Its far away from a sim, first and best sign, your company first hired a secretary.

Silvawuff

Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1, what is this I don't even... :D cool that this game got updated. Is this the Sonic CD engine retrofit update or am I misremembering some other Sonic game that was getting that treatment and this being unrelated?

Yeah, it's a retrofit of the new engine that was used in Sonic CD, and it's glorious. The buttons are smaller and more accurate, the game runs smoother, you can spin dash now, and it will fit the screen dimensions of newer devices like a glove. It's quite a nice surprise!

Megasoum

Banned
Everytime I see Frozen Synapse, all I can think about is that stupid movie

111672643_amazoncom-antitrust-poster-c-27x40-ryan-phillippe-tim-.jpg

A movie including amazing quotes such as:

Gary Winston: You're either a one or a zero. Alive or dead.

Inspector: [looking for fingerprints on a keyboard] Dust the colon and the backslash key! Only geeks use those keys.

Milo: This isn't a game! In the real world, when you kill people they die - for real! And in the real world you're fucked!

Heel

Frozen Synapse is a ton of fun. Brand new to the game and I would call myself a strategy game novice.

It's been my experience that the game is only as complex as you want it to be. Yes, the menus and the game itself are filled with buttons and options. Yes, there is a giant list of tutorial videos. With that said, you do not have to let it overwhelm you. I haven't gone through half of the menus yet. I haven't even watched half of the tutorial videos. I'm still having a blast.

I've gone through 2 campaign missions and 3 online games with other beginners on GAF. All I've done so far is set waypoints for my soldiers to move, set their aiming cones to where I think the enemy will be, then press play to watch the mayhem unfold. Sure there's plenty of complexity and strategy beyond this to actually be good at the game, but it isn't needed to get your feet wet and enjoy yourself. The opportunity is there to learn more at your own pace. Last game I actually ducked behind some cover! I also blew myself up with my own grenade.

If you're new and want to give it a go, add Heel and we'll play some games.

Dash Kappei

Yeah, it's a retrofit of the new engine that was used in Sonic CD, and it's glorious. The buttons are smaller and more accurate, the game runs smoother, you can spin dash now, and it will fit the screen dimensions of newer devices like a glove. It's quite a nice surprise!

iCade?

xCobalt

Any recommendations for good RPGs? The last one I played was Zenonia 3 or 4 and I didn't really like it. I'm interested in any rpg but it seems like the korean ones tend to be the same.

MasLegio

Banned
Any recommendations for good RPGs? The last one I played was Zenonia 3 or 4 and I didn't really like it. I'm interested in any rpg but it seems like the korean ones tend to be the same.

Sale on AVernum 6 HD right now. But it is a real CRPG and not action adventure rpg like the zenonia games so not sure if you will like it

Can more than sink your teeth into:

Baldurs Gate https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/id515114051?mt=8
Avadon: The Black Fortress https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/avadon-the-black-fortress-hd/id429761869?mt=8
Avernum 6 https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/avernum-6-hd/id547400849?mt=8
Phantasy Star 2 https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/phantasy-star-ii/id382953129?mt=8

Any thoughts on Bastion on an iPhone?

All good? Or too fiddly / clunky?

I got it last week and loved it. A bigger screen would be nicer but it was just fine on my 4S.

Im actually playing Avadon on my Nexus 7. There is a demo (at least there is on the play store) that is pretty big and will let you know if you like it. Its a classic RPG in the style of Badur's gate.
• Its got a lot of text but with some chat options as well
• Its team / turn based combat. Played the demo and really liked it. However its classic turn based in the sense as soon as you are in range of the enemy it goes into combat mode. It doesnt enter a fight arena like a lot of JRPG's do.
• Typical lvl up system
• Typical loot system
• Tons of quests (main and side)

Basically if you want a nostalgia kick of retro RPG's but in HD then give it a shot. I think it was made by just one person as well which is kinda crazy.

After the demo I thought to my self "il pick that up at some point". An hour later I bought it as I just wanted to keep playing lol. Its a huge game as well from the sound of it. Someone in a review I read said they spent 72 hours on it lol. Guess they did a lot of side quests.

SteveWD40

As someone who has never played a CRPG, is Avernum 6 a good place to start?

Actually Avadon is better, more streamlined and stand-alone story, but no harm in jumping in at the deep end when it's on sale (pretty steep cost at full price).

I would actually say Baldurs Gate would be the best as it's the 2nd best CRPG of all time (after it's sequel) but it isn't on sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom