• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
NightSky is gooood. 2D scrolling Marble Madness goodness, the physics are so damn satisfying and smooth, they've nailed the feel perfectly. Glad I didn't buy it the other day on 3DS.
Thanks man for posting that the game is FREE! Although your link is wrong, since it takes to the The Night Sky stars map app, lol!

mzl.wpcwkpeu.320x480-75.jpg

Also I'm very much enjoying Table Top Racing so far, dunno if the game has improved since release when it was crapped on a bit here, but I think is pretty good and definitely better than similar Micro Machine-esque efforts on the App Store.
Can't complain for FREE, but the game is worth my time which is way more important these days :)

But hey all you guys must be busy playing Frozen Synapse, so jelly! Can't wait to get my new Mini to join in the fun, but it stings sooo much to pay for another Mini while I could've waited for the new model to come out... Now I'll probably be stuck with gen1 till gen3 releases :/

zigg

In other news, Robot Unicorn Attack 2 is fast becoming my favourite runner.
How far are you? I was having a good time with it right up until the point I hit the last rank—now all earned stars are for naught. I spent another few runs over a couple days grinding enough teardrops to unlock the last part, and now I feel like I've tapped it out.

Dinskugga

Is that Jurassic Park Builder game any good?

As in, compared to something like DragonVale?

I think its very good. Have been playing it since febuary.
And i havent spent a cent on it. its takes some time in the begining ( if you dont put any real money into it) but after the slow start its takes off.

im playing around 10-20minutes a day or something like that. And i still think its fun

PFD

Also I'm very much enjoying Table Top Racing so far, dunno if the game has improved since release when it was crapped on a bit here, but I think is pretty good and definitely better than similar Micro Machine-esque efforts on the App Store.
Can't complain for FREE, but the game is worth my time which is way more important these days :)

Yeah, I thought it was good when it came out. I don't get the hate for it.
I thought you already had a mini? What happened to it?

Not on UK store either.

That's a bummer. I guess they're doing a beta release on the Canadian store. Explains why it came out so quietly.

krYlon

How far are you? I was having a good time with it right up until the point I hit the last rank—now all earned stars are for naught. I spent another few runs over a couple days grinding enough teardrops to unlock the last part, and now I feel like I've tapped it out.

I'm pretty early on, rank 8. That's a shame there's nothing to play for after the last rank, but I'm fine just trying to beat my highscore in runners. I still play canabalt now and again despite no objectives other than distance.

Clunker

Between Ace Patrol and Frozen Synapse, I am living in an iOS strategy renaissance. I loved FS as a PC game and gladly double-dipped -- originally I thought it wouldn't run on my first-gen iPad, since almost nothing seems to these days, but it runs beautifully. Outside of some wonky server issues right now, it is amazing. My username for Frozen Synapse is "VisceraEyes" - please add me for the occasional game. :)

And Ace Patrol is really compelling - reminds me of a ginned-up Steambirds with more persistence and structure. It probably plays better on iPad, but I've been playing on my iPhone - it feels cramped, but surprisingly I've had almost no control problems or misread touchscreen taps, even for buttons so close to each other.

zigg

I'm pretty early on, rank 8. That's a shame there's nothing to play for after the last rank, but I'm fine just trying to beat my highscore in runners. I still play canabalt now and again despite no objectives other than distance.
There are more goals, still; they just don't earn anything. One of them is a score goal I haven't been able to break (and I don't feel at all close); the other slot keeps filling with easy goals that aren't unique enough to hold my attention on their own.

Still, loved the thing while it lasted, and it was well-balanced for playing without IAP.

Flunkie

Banned
Mario what's the secret to getting a good time in the Turbo Racing League contest? I can't get more than 2:40, and there are people with 2:20 times on there. Are those legit? o_O

GWX

I'm loving the swipe controls in NightSky. I already prefer the iPad version to the PC version I played when it was released (no HD update back then :s) just because of the controls.

Flunkie

Banned
I'm loving the swipe controls in NightSky. I already prefer the iPad version to the PC version I played when it was released (no HD update back then :s) just because of the controls.
Yup, they feel so perfectly suited for iOS.

Dash Kappei

Yeah, I thought it was good when it came out. I don't get the hate for it.

I thought you already had a mini? What happened to it?.

Burglarized from my car together with a backpack full of GBA CiB collectibles/rarish games :(
I was gone for literally no more than 5 minutes, parked the car to get the cigarettes, came back to a smashed window

PFD

Burglarized from my car together with a backpack full of GBA CiB collectibles/rarish games :(
I was gone for literally no more than 5 minutes, parked the car to get the cigarettes, came back to a smashed window

Holy shit, that sucks :\

What phone are you rocking right now? 4S?

Megasoum

Banned
Is there an good Advance War type of game available? If possible something not too hardcore (like Battle of the Bulge)?

Is there an good Advance War type of game available? If possible something not too hardcore (like Battle of the Bulge)?

Mechowars is very close and pretty casual (note it has been free quite a few times).

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/mecho-wars/id319358443?mt=8

Transformers G1 awakening is pretty basic...but if you have the nostalgia angle it can be quite enjoyable.

Great little wargame perhaps...but I never really got into it.

Also look at Rogue planet and the excellent uniwar (but that is more battle isle).

Zeth

All I've played for the past month has been Nimble Quest. It's so simple it's almost dumb, but I've just been addicted. It's absolutely perfect to pick up and play whenever you have a few spare minutes. All my heroes are maxed out and I've begun amassing wealth for a future update, hopefully. I've been topping the gaf guild leaderboard recently too, though we've fallen out of the top 10-20 in recent weeks :(

chiQ

That's terrible, and why I use my boot (trunk) these days :(

I'm lucky enough to have a secure one, which can't be opened without the master key if securely locked, even if you get into the main cabin of the car.

ChronoDK

Neo Member
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mosaique:

L20mSue.jpg

It's a pretty clever little puzzle game. Not sure what to compare it with really, but I like games like Drop7 and Yoshi's Cookie and Mosaique has a similar pacing. The atmosphere is more like Meteos or Lumines though - minimalistic sci-fi.

I have played it for ten days in a row now (a few games every day), which is pretty rare for me these days so I guess they are doing something right.

The game has seven levels, and after completing each one you get a final score. I'm currently ranked 18 in the world on normal mode, which I feel is pretty good. But my score is still improving most days.

I found a review on Joystiq while looking for a picture for this post - they are very positive too:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/14/portabliss-mosaique-ios-android/

Also, there is an interview with the developer - a Japanese indie called Winning Blimp - on GameSpot's Youtube page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyJFgms-HgQ

So anyway, give it a try - it's really, really good! Just be prepared to lose your first few games - there is a bit of a learning curve.

Here is the game on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mosaique/id632080279?mt=8

I think it might be available on Android too.

Dingotech

Is Frozen Synapse not out on iPhone? Is it coming out?

I skimmed the last few pages but didn't see much talk about Star Command, did it end up being worth it?

Is Frozen Synapse not out on iPhone? Is it coming out?

Nah ipad only. As it stands, wouldn't really work on a smaller device I don't think.

I skimmed the last few pages but didn't see much talk about Star Command, did it end up being worth it?

Yes and no :) It is a huge disappointment and lots of people like myself were let down by how limited it is. On the other hand, it is still just a couple of bucks and you'll get a fair bit of fun out of it.

So in isolation it is still worth it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Any post-patch Star Command impressions? Looks like there's been a number of updates that have changed/tweaked a bunch of things.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is NightSky better on iOS or 3DS?

Edit: Wow, never-fucking-mind. It's $10 on 3DS. I don't think I'll get it on either, out of principle.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I spent most of yesterday playing my usual staple of backlog games. I finally feel like I'm making decent headway in FF4, I'm about 10 hours into it now and am looking for an entrance to the underworld. I wouldn't say it's the best JPG I've played, but it's engaging and I'm enjoying the various twists of the story. Didn't FF5 come out recently on iOS? Very tempting for after I've finished this one. It's not a patch on FF6 though, that's still my favourite.

Also played another hour or two on Ms Splosion man. It's an impresively long game, each level takes me about ten mins to finish for the first time, and there 14 levels per world so it's something I can keep coming back to. Still really good, I wish there were some more original iOS platformers that could take some lessons from this - it's quick and inventive and iterates nicely on the ideas it introduces.

Played a lot more of Lego Batman too, no idea why really since it's pretty dull. I ge tthat it's a kid's game but there's absolutely no challenge to the thing. If you die you respawn instantly in the same place, you just tap an enemy once to kill them and puzzle solving involves just breaking everything in an area to find the hidden stuff. Yaawwwwwwn.

Loving Eighty Eight as my Drop7 replacement. It's pretty shameless how much it rips it off but the various tweaks open the game up nicely and help to avoid (although not entirely) the predictable game ending states of having too many ones and twos by the end of the game. I still prefer the presentation of Drop 7 but Eighty Eight just plays better. All hail the new king!

haha been playing lego batman 2 on pc because it was $7 on amazon. It's fun enough. Combat is barely there, but the animations are cute, and some of the puzzles are clever (don't know about the portable ones, will wait for a sale). Superman is hilarious and in general most of the cutscenes are still top tier.

Also picked up gangstar rio because it's free. Outside of the really terrible pop in and draw distance and shitty car models, it's alright. It's not better than vice city, but it being designed for mobile makes it more pickup and play (auto start story missions from the menu, readable font on iphone, way less complicated control scheme).

The character models have gotten quite good in these games too.

krYlon

Hmm, I've got a craving for a (non-physics) score-attack puzzler, but I can't decide between:

Puzzlejuice
Spelltower
Eighty-Eight (already have Drop7)
Hundreds
Mosaique (as recommended above)

Anyone played them all, or the majority of them, recommend a must-have? Which has the most strategic depth/longevity?

PFD

Hmm, I've got a craving for a (non-physics) score-attack puzzler, but I can't decide between:

Puzzlejuice
Spelltower
Eighty-Eight (already have Drop7)
Hundreds
Mosaique (as recommended above)

Anyone played them all, or the majority of them, recommend a must-have? Which has the most strategic depth/longevity?

The first 3 are all solid choices. Hundreds was disappointing IMO. Haven't played Mosaique.

I'd say spelltower has great longevity, but your enjoyment of it depends on how much you like word games.

sqwarlock

Finally got around to playing Frozen Synapse yesterday, and it's just as fun as it was on PC. The only negative I see is that it's not retina resolution. Hope they're working on that for a future patch, but even if it never happens it's still worth the money.

Wiktor

What principle would that be? Just curious

He propably doesn't want to support devs who exploit gamers so blantantly. I understand him. That's the reason why I didn't buy Leviathan: Warships and will never again buy any Pendulo game unless it's on some dirty cheap sale.

Dash Kappei

Holy shit, that sucks :

What phone are you rocking right now? 4S?

I wish! A terrible Galaxy Next. Using my gf's iPod to game and stuff, but I can't follow the challenges that way, and for the 3rd day in a row I'm back home without my new iPad cause it still hasn't arrived.
All in all I hate to be wasting money this way when I could've got the new gen Mini at the end of this year.. Le sigh.

Another reason to quit smoking?

... sorry

But I AM QUITTING! I'm down to 3 or 4 per day, from 25 red Marlboros, while rocking my eRoll e-cigarette!

That's terrible, and why I use my boot (trunk) these days :(

I'm lucky enough to have a secure one, which can't be opened without the master key if securely locked, even if you get into the main cabin of the car.

I never ever leave my stuff visible from the outside, but man it was just 5 minutes and my hometown is pretty much crime-free :/

Is NightSky better on iOS or 3DS?

Edit: Wow, never-fucking-mind. It's $10 on 3DS. I don't think I'll get it on either, out of principle.

While I usually like the stereo 3D effect enough to look at it as a non-gimmicky-plus that I really enjoy (Mutant Mudds 3DS >>> Wii U >> iOS) when deciding on which version of a game to buy, I'd say that for NightSky the iOS version is the clear winner and is even better than on PC. Controls are fantastic, so tight and responsive and perfectly suited to the game and its physics. Got it for free the other day but if I had known how good it was before I wouldn't have had no problem putting down the money to buy it. Well worth it's price tag.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I wish! A terrible Galaxy Next. Using my gf's iPod to game and stuff, but I can't follow the challenges that way, and for the 3rd day in a row I'm back home without my new iPad cause it still hasn't arrived.
All in all I hate to be wasting money this way when I could've got the new gen Mini at the end of this year.. Le sigh.

Just wondering, did you remote wipe your Mini, so that your Apple ID is safe and that iMessages and whatnot don't go to it still.

I'd also advocate for Apple's Two-Step authentication for Apple IDs: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5570

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Glory day. Just found out that Warhammer Quest has been submitted. Curious considering the lack of press but I guess embargoes should end soon enough. What's the turnover these days?

Eityer way I, for one, can't wait. So damn hyped. Commence hype train, woo woooooo. Who's with me?

SteveWD40

Glory day. Just found out that Warhammer Quest has been submitted. Curious considering the lack of press but I guess embargoes should end soon enough. What's the turnover these days?

Eityer way I, for one, can't wait. So damn hyped. Commence hype train, woo woooooo. Who's with me?

You have my wang.

PFD

That's awesome. Any idea on the pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom