• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I find that Drop7 doesn't hold up to repeated play for long. The 1s are annoying, and due to the random nature, feel more like luck than skill. Even the preset combinations aren't very fun after a while. I have DropZap 2 for my drop puzzle needs.

It absolutely does, it's still my most played game on iOS after 5 years.

You are, however, spot on about the random nature of the game. If you get a nasty row of 1s and 2s when the grey discs are already up to the 3rd or 4th row, you're probably screwed.

Try Eighty-Eight instead, I'm really loving how the bombs can save you from what would normally be impossible situations. You can really get some insane chains going!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anyone playing Bellyfish? Nothing surprising, but still very fun and addictive. High score's 79k, want to crack a 100.

soldat7

Frozen Synapse this week...

XFp8NPF.gif

It's like a magical journey through my childhood...

Could someone explain how the vp range thing works in eclipse?
I played a game today and won, but i really don't know why.
All players had a compareable vp range before the end of the 9th round.
My vp stated 31-35 and in the end result screen i had 35, while the others had 33 and 31.
Is there a way to know exactly how many vp one has during gameplay?
I understand not seeiing exactly how many vp the opponente have, but your own vp should be defined, doesn't it?

Also, is there a way to see the energy kost of upgrades before researching them?
I've encountered a couple of situations where I bought an upgrade only to discover I couldn't use it because my ships didn't have enough energy.
Players who tried the app and know the boardgame, could you help me out?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If anyone plays Eclipse regularly, we are currently gathering a list of regular players over in the iOS online board-gaming thread if you want to add your name. If you take multiple turns/day even better. :)

Could someone explain how the vp range thing works in eclipse?
I played a game today and won, but i really don't know why.
All players had a compareable vp range before the end of the 9th round.
My vp stated 31-35 and in the end result screen i had 35, while the others had 33 and 31.
Is there a way to know exactly how many vp one has during gameplay?
I understand not seeiing exactly how many vp the opponente have, but your own vp should be defined, doesn't it?
It's a range because the VP your opponents get is secret. When you win a battle it's Draw X VP tokens (based on number of ships destroyed, but always at least 1) Keep 1. And their values range from 1-4. You can know what your own values are by clicking on the little token icon on the left side. But you will only know a range for opponents. I don't think there is a place to see your exact score without calculating it. Tweet Big Daddy's about it they're pretty responsive. :)

Also, is there a way to see the energy kost of upgrades before researching them?
I've encountered a couple of situations where I bought an upgrade only to discover I couldn't use it because my ships didn't have enough energy.
Players who tried the app and know the boardgame, could you help me out?
Yes unfortunately energy cost is not on the research tokens (same in board game). But in the app just click open your ship on the right side and in the pile of upgrades you'll see all the relevant info about the upgrade, including energy cost.

I've been really sick all weekend so I've played a lot of the third best puzzle game of all-time (behind Tetris and Panel de Pon), Drop7. It's the newest Zynga masterpiece and everyone should own it.

I am not used to seeing these words together. WUT.

Any news on the iOS hardware front?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I am not used to seeing these words together. WUT.

Any news on the iOS hardware front?
The only thing Zynga has to do with Drop7 was that they bought/hired the original developers (Area Code, if I recall correctly) and took over the game brand. They re-issued a bug-fixed/updated version of the game (long time ago by now) but that's it.

VanWinkle

You guys should definitely check out Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery on Thursday. It came out on the Vita yesterday and it's really great, fun, and charming. It's gameplay is very "Professor Layton"-y. Not as rich in content as the Layton games (obviously), but it's only $2.99.

Launch trailer

igor

I think Famitsu has its own mobile section.

What Kairosoft would you recommend? Are they all pretty much the same with just different themes? I bought Edo Towns as it was on sale but the game doesn't really explain what works well and what doesnt within the game.

Are all of their games like that? Are there any better ones than Edo Towns? I quite like the Japanese theme and the medieval one looked very cute as well...

matt360

I think Famitsu has its own mobile section.

What Kairosoft would you recommend? Are they all pretty much the same with just different themes? I bought Edo Towns as it was on sale but the game doesn't really explain what works well and what doesnt within the game.

Are all of their games like that? Are there any better ones than Edo Towns? I quite like the Japanese theme and the medieval one looked very cute as well...

Edo Towns is actually one of their worst. Their best games are Game Dev Story, Mega Mall Story, the soccer one, the racecar one, the space one, and the fantasy rpg town one.

Edo Towns, Hotspring Story, and Venture Towns don't really offer much beyond town building, whereas all of the others offer something one level deeper. Like in the racecar one, you actually watch the cars you build race around while you yell obscenities at your screen. In the space one you actually send out crews into the unknown to fight aliens and come back with stuff. In the rpg town one you create the town where your heroes come to rest between battles. The better your town, the better they do. The better they do, the more money you get which then in turn lets you build a bigger and better town.

I haven't tried the Cafe Nipponica one, but I did just download the sushi one and am eager to give it a try.

You guys should definitely check out Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery on Thursday. It came out on the Vita yesterday and it's really great, fun, and charming. It's gameplay is very "Professor Layton"-y. Not as rich in content as the Layton games (obviously), but it's only $2.99.

Launch trailer

Looks like something Double Fine would make. Neat.

$7.50 is a little bit much...but what the heck, Frozen Synapse purchased again.

Hopefully I get into it a little bit more than the PC version.

5gwa4h4uik.jpg

sqwarlock

Never played a Kairosoft game before, but have the itch to pick up Game Dev Story. Worth it? Really wish there was an "HD" version for the iPad, but oh well.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
mzl.cvnepajp.175x175-75.jpg

The Sonic 1 iOS update is now available for the "International" Version!

mzl.nuczenct.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.grgqsggd.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.xchimmqw.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.xljpxukx.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.qssqeopw.320x480-75.jpg

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/sonic-hedgehog-international/id316050001?mt=8

The US version should update soon, I guess? Sonic's such an old game that it was released on iOS as "international version" and "US version".
Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1, what is this I don't even... :D cool that this game got updated. Is this the Sonic CD engine retrofit update or am I misremembering some other Sonic game that was getting that treatment and this being unrelated?

Keasar

Immediately bought Frozen Synapse just now. Finally starting to look up for iOS gaming with more advanced titles.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I have it for Mac and barely played it, but is FS worth it for SP? I mostly iPad game on my commute to work.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
OP is ready

Supposedly the game saves for this are cross-platform too. In a recent RPS article, it said "if you own both versions then you can continue your game you were playing on whatever system you have at hand."

Sounds worth including in the OP.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The latest PikPok game is out - Turbo Racing League for iOS, Android and Windows Phone (the latter version coming online in about 10 hours). Its a casual arcade racing game themed around racing snails based on the Dreamworks Turbo movie releasing in July.

mzl.tdxzhusq.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.tzsvvpbw.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.zbdgfqoa.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.iiwwkpsn.320x480-75.jpg

Should be available everywhere on iOS now and Android in the next hour or so if not there already for you. US App Store link below
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/turbo-racing-league/id604752655?ls=1&mt=8

Yes, it has IAP and ads. But I suspect it will be of particular interest to GAF for reasons that will become more apparent tomorrow

The great debate: Frozen Synapse for vita later or ipad now?

Ipad for sure.

If you play it and love it? You'll buy it on Vita too and will not think twice about it.
Otherwise you'll play it for 5 seconds, your head will explode and you'll never touch it again.

In general though, looks like a solid port to me.

VanWinkle

Ipad for sure.

If you play it and love it? You'll buy it on Vita too and will not think twice about it.
Otherwise you'll play it for 5 seconds, your head will explode and you'll never touch it again.

In general though, looks like a solid port to me.

Yeah, the Vita version is being remade rather than a port, so it will be different enough to get twice if he likes the iPad version.

Owzers

Yeah, the Vita version is being remade rather than a port, so it will be different enough to get twice if he likes the iPad version.

i ended up buying it on steam awhile ago since i don't like gaming on my laptop ( and i should stop buying pc games) maybe i'll pick up the ipad version then.

The latest PikPok game is out - Turbo Racing League for iOS, Android and Windows Phone (the latter version coming online in about 10 hours). Its a casual arcade racing game themed around racing snails based on the Dreamworks Turbo movie releasing in July.

mzl.zbdgfqoa.320x480-75.jpg

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/turbo-racing-league/id604752655?ls=1&mt=8

Yes, it has IAP and ads. But I suspect it will be of particular interest to GAF for reasons that will become more apparent tomorrow

Gripshift spiritual sequel?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Gripshift spiritual sequel?

The game is quite different to GripShift, more along the lines of a casual kart racer. But the GripShift Producer/Designer was the Exec Producer on this, and the GripShift Level Designer was the Game Designer on this. So there are a few elements that have carried through.

colinp

Banned
Rumor is you can't change the AI level/style in Frozen Synapse, that true?

Going by the app screenshots the interface looks a bit clunky with all those buttons. Does it play better than it looks?

Maximus.

Downloaded Bastion, MageGauntlet and Xmen. Bastion has blown me away so far, never expected that from an iOS game. MageGauntlet is fun, but has a slow start. Hoping it gets better later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom