• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

Apparently, Apple finally left out the secret answer requirement on your first purchase. I got a US alt account with 10$ on it but I couldn't buy stuff because I forgot the answer and the only way to fix it was calling them... which I can't..

Anyway, just bought Star Command and got about 6.74$ left. Any recommendations? I love RPG's with a lot of content and Ubisoft's Clash Of Heroes looks fun, but it's 5$. Already got Infinity Blade 1&2 and GOF2 HD.

PFD

Apparently, Apple finally left out the secret answer requirement on your first purchase. I got a US alt account with 10$ on it but I couldn't buy stuff because I forgot the answer and the only way to fix it was calling them... which I can't..

Anyway, just bought Star Command and got about 6.74$ left. Any recommendations? I love RPG's with a lot of content and Ubisoft's Clash Of Heroes looks fun, but it's 5$. Already got Infinity Blade 1&2 and GOF2 HD.

It seems you were charged 5% tax on Star Command. Here's a dirty trick for you. If you have an alt US account with iTunes credit, change your billing address to somewhere in Chico, California and you will no longer be charged any taxes on your app purchases. Of course this wont work with a credit card, because you'll have to use your real billing address.

Dawg

It seems you were charged 5% tax on Star Command. Here's a dirty trick for you. If you have an alt US account with iTunes credit, change your billing address to somewhere in Chico, California and you will no longer be charged any taxes on your app purchases. Of course this wont work with a credit card, because you'll have to use your real billing address.

Hah, thanks mate. I was wondering why I'd lost more than 2.99$ (Star Command price).

colinp

Banned

New Hampshire has no sales tax so any address there would work, too.

Heel

Looks like next week is going to make up for this one. Warhammer Quest, Phoenix Wright Trilogy and hopefully Agricola by then too. That's a lot of gum.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Looks like next week is going to make up for this one. Warhammer Quest, Phoenix Wright Trilogy and hopefully Agricola by then too. That's a lot of gum.

yes i will buy all of those. wondering if i'll have time for anything but agricola and eclipse though :D

xJavonta

Banned
Wow, I have not been active in these threads for ages. I probably won't be until the new devices come out too though, but it's nice to know they still exist

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Save it for Warhammer Quest next week.
Fraudsters!

SteveWD40

So Phoenix Wright is out soon, never played them though. What's the re-playability like? are they once and done style puzzle games or is there any reason to play them again?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So Phoenix Wright is out soon, never played them though. What's the re-playability like? are they once and done style puzzle games or is there any reason to play them again?

It's basically investigation and then courtroom puzzles, but the storyline of the game doesn't change and there's really only one way to do it. The games are great fun though, and I heartily recommend playing them. It's like Monkey Island/Day of the Tentacle etc in that once you've played through you're going to remember how to solve the puzzles for the most part but you can always enjoy the story again. I don't want to dissuade you from getting them as the story is great to play, but if point and click/adventure puzzle type games aren't your thing for replayability reasons then maybe wait for a sale or something.

Edit: Didn't realise that the whole lot will end up costing $17, that's quite a hit. Still, it's three full length games (60 hours or so?) for a budget price and you can at least try the first two cases of the first game for free so that's something.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
$17 feels like a lot for an iOS game, but you'd be paying like $60 minimum for all three games on DS so I can swallow it. Pretty excited to finally play the PW games, I loved Ghost Trick.

$17 feels like a lot for an iOS game, but you'd be paying like $60 minimum for all three games on DS so I can swallow it. Pretty excited to finally play the PW games, I loved Ghost Trick.

And each game will probably take at least 20 hrs to beat, more if its your first time.

Curious if this is a new app, or an update for the PW app on the store atm.

SteveWD40

I have no issue with the price, when DS/3DS games have been around £30 at launch for years, that's £11 for all 3 games remastered.

I may pick it up, I am sucker for hype even if the game might not be for me.

rcl66

Looks like Tetris Blitz is out today too. Any thoughts/worth my time?

Well made, polished. But it's a Blitz game. In other words paying (coins and real money eventually) gets you a high score. Starting to get tired of every game using the same shtick to get you to spend endless money. A game like this where everyone had access to all powerups for a flat purchase and then the strategy came with how you use the power ups would be a blast. If you like the other Blitz games by EA you know what your getting.

Heel

If you're into board games, Small World for iPad is on sale for $2.99. That's the lowest it's ever been since its release in 2010.

Why does this matter? Days of Wonder ran a successful Kickstarter for Small World 2, and everyone who owns the original app will get a free update to the new version that's currently scheduled for this summer.

Kickstarter said:
I already own Small World iPad, how can I get Small World 2?

You're in luck. Not only did you only play $ 6.99 for the base game (the price on the app store will increase to $ 9.99 once Small World 2 ships), you will also automatically receive a free upgrade to Small World 2 for iPad, when it ships later this summer. Yes - you will be getting the 3-5 player maps, online gaming, retina support and much more all for free.

4Xo1UiB.jpg

If you're into board games, Small World for iPad is on sale for $2.99. That's the lowest it's ever been since its release in 2010.

Why does this matter? Days of Wonder ran a successful Kickstarter for Small World 2, and everyone who owns the original app will get a free update to the new version that's currently scheduled for this summer.

Thanks for the heads-up! I saw the price drop but didn't realize the Small World 2 connection. :D

Last we heard from IronHide Games, "I think probably end May or first week of June. No more than that;" the game is finished, they're doing the final balance testing. So figure 2-3 weeks I think, then add in one more just to be on the safe side, stuff is always late.

Oh man-I can't wait. I'm trying to finish up all the achievements they added on the iPhone version. Do we know if this one is going to be a universal app?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Except that it is three games and all are critically acclaimed quality titles.

I found this random free casual city planning game "Run that town" by the Australian Bureau of Stats

surprisingly charming and fun.... I didn't expect the government to churn out a better game than most ios drivel

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/run-that-town/id598509287?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2

This is pretty cool. Charming presentation and graphics. Easy to get into and quite fun.

Though finding it hard to appease the people. I was getting a bit stressed when I started getting incidents occurring and when you have a lot of buildings to slide through.

Nice idea though.

Combo Crew is excellent. Totally new touch screen swipe beat 'em up mechanics, rewarding character unlock path via good performance, not $$$. Stylistically Sega-ish. Not to be missed.

4Xo1UiB.jpg

Is is easy to get into?

I love board games but easy ones :| Call of Chtullu (the iPad board game) is a bit too complicated for me, for example lol :|

Thanks, played my first game of this at work today during lunch, come home and pad version is on sale, score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom