• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
Last we heard from IronHide Games, "I think probably end May or first week of June. No more than that;" the game is finished, they're doing the final balance testing. So figure 2-3 weeks I think, then add in one more just to be on the safe side, stuff is always late.

Damn if Kingdom Rush 2 comes out next Thursday, then it's truly going to be one epic week. I'm for sure already going to be picking up both Warhammer Quest and Phoenix Wright HD which is about 21.99. Hopefully Kingdom Rush Frontier is at least 5 bucks or under and universal.

Hugstable

Banned
Are the expansions for Ascension worth the purchase? Do they add new mechanics or just new cards? Any expansion that's a must-have?

How is Ascension anyway? I watched the gameplay video for that HEX kickstarter game, and I've never really dealt with any TCG style games before besides Pokemon back when I was a kid. Watching the Hex gameplay video got me really interested into this style of card game and was wondering if Ascension was the best card game to get into on iOS? I hope they bring Hex over, but Ascension from what I've seen looks pretty interesting.

How is Ascension anyway? I watched the gameplay video for that HEX kickstarter game, and I've never really dealt with any TCG style games before besides Pokemon back when I was a kid. Watching the Hex gameplay video got me really interested into this style of card game and was wondering if Ascension was the best card game to get into on iOS? I hope they bring Hex over, but Ascension from what I've seen looks pretty interesting.

I'm somebody who doesn't play card games and knows nothing about them. I enjoyed Ascension and found it easy to get into and understand.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Duels of the Planeswalkers is easily the best TCG on iOS at the moment. It's Magic: The Gathering without the enormous cost and has a great solo campaign, challenges and unlockables that you can earn without having to pay cash for. It does have a couple of expansions and some DLC, none of which do anything but add more content (IE you're not going to have to pay to unlock super awesome cards to win with.)

Are the expansions for Ascension worth the purchase? Do they add new mechanics or just new cards? Any expansion that's a must-have?
The expansions can be played separately or mixed together. I think they are both worth getting as the base game can get stale after a while.
Fallen added more cards but plays much the same.
Storm of Souls added Fanatics and Trophies which expanded the game a bit.

Overall it's easy to get into. There's a still a lot of activity with online play. I don't think you'll want for opponents.

Gary Games, who make Ascension, are coming out with a multi platform version next year which will replace Playdek's implementation. iOS owners will get the new version for free afaik.

Yo guys, Hiversaires is free. I like it quite a bit.

mzl.pjvskkjg.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.uhvsnkva.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.wpzbkxxo.320x480-75.jpg

Scoop it up!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id630992348?mt=8

seady

Wow Tetris Blitz is like crack. I was tired of the slow pacing of the series after other more frantic puzzlers came out. But this one changes up the formula and made Tetris very chaotic. Awesome game.

Clunker

I haven't seen a lot of people talk up Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery: Episode 1, but I picked it up and just played about 40 minutes of it, and I absolutely adore it. It's a Professor Layton/Puzzle Agent style game, right down to a substitute for Piccarats and Hint Coins and everything, but it's got a really great cartoony, Pixar-ish art style. The writing is pretty snappy, too, and it's fully voiced.

It's got four more episodes blacked out on the main menu, and I don't know how long Ep 1 will last, but at 99 cents it's kind of a no-brained if you like these kinds of logic puzzle games.

Li Kao

So guys, I'm back. Yes, I know, so much relief.
But seriously, I had the equivalent of an ios nervous breakdown some months ago (march ?) and really had to pass some time ios-less. I just felt gaming wise all I was doing was cow clicking and had to take a break to reevaluate what I wanted ios gaming to be for me.
I don't have an answer, but I know that I will try to be more careful of what I get into if the game smell of cow clicking.

That being said, I will evidently look at the past ios thread recommendations, but is it me or the games that strikes me as even vaguely interesting didn't do so great buzz wise ? I have a bunch of friends and didn't see them in their game list (just took a glance, not a scientific study here).

So were they bad or am I tempted by shit ?
Magicka ?
Leviathan Wars ? (seems to be criticized for the legendary Paradox QA)
Ace Patrol ?
And Haunted Hollow ? (charming and simple, but maybe too simple for its own good ?)

I don't know, those seemed appealing.

Lee N

Membre
Wow Tetris Blitz is like crack. I was tired of the slow pacing of the series after other more frantic puzzlers came out. But this one changes up the formula and made Tetris very chaotic. Awesome game.
You need to play Tetris The Grand Master series, preferably the Shirase mode in Tetris The Grand Master 3: Terror Instinct. That's frantic, Tetris Blitz is shite…

Clunker

That being said, I will evidently look at the past ios thread recommendations, but is it me or the games that strikes me as even vaguely interesting didn't do so great buzz wise ? I have a bunch of friends and didn't see them in their game list (just took a glance, not a scientific study here).

So were they bad or am I tempted by shit ?
Magicka ?
Leviathan Wars ? (seems to be criticized for the legendary Paradox QA)
Ace Patrol ?
And Haunted Hollow ? (charming and simple, but maybe too simple for its own good ?)

I don't know, those seemed appealing.
I am still picking away at Ace Patrol - I love it. I ended up buying the other "campaigns" but I'm not even actually sure that I needed to buy all of them, as I think it's just access to different pilots and planes. It's wonderful, tactical, and pretty challenging once you take yourself off of the default "easy" difficulty.

I liked what I played of Haunted Hollow, but haven't come back to it yet - not sure how all of the mechanics work and how units balance.

Hugstable

Banned
I seriously can't wait for Phoenix Wright next week! only got a chance to play the first game back when it came out on DS. Good timing too since I almost done with Final Fantasy V (which is really great btw. Don't see why the graphics get so much hate) so it'll be perfect to start up the second Phoenix Wright game. :)

Hopefully by the time I finish the trilogy Square might announce FF6 iOS at e3 by then!

deim0s

Pick it up. Very easy to get into. Hit up the ios boardgame thread in OT for some games.

ToxicAdam

I am still picking away at Ace Patrol - I love it. I ended up buying the other "campaigns" but I'm not even actually sure that I needed to buy all of them, as I think it's just access to different pilots and planes. It's wonderful, tactical, and pretty challenging once you take yourself off of the default "easy" difficulty.

Yea, I feel the same way. It's a great game to play a couple missions a day.

PFD

The new Ultima game from EA is an IAP crapfest. You get currency at a slower rate than what you spend fixing your gear.

Don't waste your time.

Combo Crew is excellent. Totally new touch screen swipe beat 'em up mechanics, rewarding character unlock path via good performance, not $$$. Stylistically Sega-ish. Not to be missed.

So I got around to picking this up. Really fucking great.

The gameplay is really giving me the vibe of Batman Arkham games combat, where its all about flowing together combos and keeping it going with counters.

Instead of your virtual buttons, it's all done with swipe controls that work well (It's done by the folks that made Squids, so you know its pretty damn great).

Highly recommended for anyone.

Bonus, no IAP!

Wiktor

This game is doing nothing but pissing me off. I have never felt so stupid playing a game in my life. I have no idea what the hell I am doing, but I'm determined to beat it. I can't even get past the beginning part ;_;

Edit: this game is fantastic.
make notes and draw maps. Seriously.

TP17

I decided to purchase Sorcery! yesterday. I really liked the style and production values, the game seemed really well made. I was disappointed when it finished though, it felt short and I just wanted to carry on playing!

Tablets seem the perfect format for a game like this, have their been any previous attempts?

RedShift

Wait not only do I finish exams the day Ace Attorney comes out, I have 5 and a half hours on a train in the two days afterwards. Someone up there likes me.

maus

Welder is free until tomorrow and it's quite a good word game if you like them, maybe even if you don't. I've never found myself drawn to them but it's the game I've been going to since I got it on friday. Nice old-timey industrial feel to it.

muddream

Banned
Jacob Jones is definitely worth a mention. Great variety in puzzles, quality dialogue, lovely art style. My only complaints would be that there's a little too much dialogue at times and the difficulty gap between some of the puzzles feels too steep.

Kinyou

It really is a nice concept.If only it had more modes or some kind of leveling system. The powerups are also ridiculously overpriced.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It really is a nice concept.If only it had more modes or some kind of leveling system. The powerups are also ridiculously overpriced.

It's very early in the morning so my sarcasm detector is still charging.. have you looked at the other Tetris game? ;)

PittaGAF

Now that the game is imminent, I've asked and I've been told I can speak freely about Warhammer Quest (no spoilers or prices of course).

So if you have any questions, I'll try to answer.

Anno

I haven't been following the game a ton, so maybe this is dumb, but how persistent is the game? Are you building up your same
heroes over time? Or is it more like Gauntlet where you have prescribed heroes the essentially "start over" when you play new missions or scenarios?

SteveWD40

Now that the game is imminent, I've asked and I've been told I can speak freely about Warhammer Quest (no spoilers or prices of course).

So if you have any questions, I'll try to answer.

How are the daily missions implemented? How random are they?

Whats the level cap?

Hows the loot? Lots of random prefixes?

Leeness

Has anyone tried Jacob Jones on an iPhone 4 yet? I want to play it, but don't want to get it if it runs like crap on my 4. :( There's a big WARNING on iTunes about playing on a 4. :(

PittaGAF

I haven't been following the game a ton, so maybe this is dumb, but how persistent is the game? Are you building up your same
heroes over time? Or is it more like Gauntlet where you have prescribed heroes the essentially "start over" when you play new missions or scenarios?

No, its more like an rpg: you will bring your characters from dungeon to dungeon and completing quests, progressing in the main story (if you decide so).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom