• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
As much as possible at least(!) :)

That said, how did the Lucid Games' "Jacob Jones adn the Big Foot Mystery" game turn out?

I played literally 15 mins of it yesterday but it seemed very charming and the puzzles were a light and enjoyable fare to start with. I'm def going to give it some more play.

ParityBit

So has anyone done a "cataclysmic purge" of their device?

I have SOOOOOOOOO many games on my device, and honestly I have played but a handful (board games/card games a ton). But I have lots that I downloaded when prices dropped to free when they were on my watch list, or I bought on the cheap. The 64 gigs is almost completely full and I need to do something!

Its been a long two and a half months since my 32GB iPad 2 Wi-Fi got stolen. But I now have my replacement, 32gb iPad 4 Wi-Fi Cellular. Painful wait but at least I got a free upgrade, was not expecting that.

Didn't even know there was a 4th gen, iPad 3 was the latest as far as I knew.

So has anyone done a "cataclysmic purge" of their device?

I have SOOOOOOOOO many games on my device, and honestly I have played but a handful (board games/card games a ton). But I have lots that I downloaded when prices dropped to free when they were on my watch list, or I bought on the cheap. The 64 gigs is almost completely full and I need to do something!

I'm in a similar boat. I grab games when free, many of which I've never played, many I've never installed. If I had the willpower, I'd either stop collecting them, or uninstall all but a couple so that I could focus on playing through them.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
IT'S OFFICIAL.

Warhammer Quest will be out next Thursday, May 30th.

I haven't really seen much of this, but the little I have intrigues me. Never played Warhammer back in the day but may give this a go. Is it a sort of dungeon exploration game? Something like Space Hulk?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I haven't really seen much of this, but the little I have intrigues me. Never played Warhammer back in the day but may give this a go. Is it a sort of dungeon exploration game? Something like Space Hulk?

It pretty much looks like Hunters with a Warhammer skin. So - aces.

Minsc

Gold Member
So Warhammer Quest is $5 for the main game, $3 per DLC, and $1-$100 for gold or whatever depending on how much you want to buy? There's also IAP to unlock additional classes too right?

And has anyone one played Castle Defense HD?
http://appshopper.com/games/castle-defense-hd-3

Seems very Kingdom Rush-esque.

It looks like a rip-off to me. Given the official Kingdom Rush sequel is due out in mere weeks, I'd just wait for that rather than get burnt out on a cheap clone. They added a ton of content to the original in the last few months, so if you haven't revisited it, there's a bunch of much harder epic levels to go through that will help kill the time until the sequel is out.

out of all the games i've bought and dled recently... dont know why i'm playing gangstar rio lol.

I should play vice city instead, but that game is ass on iphone (better on ipad, but that's not with me all the time).

Really digging uplink on ipad as well.

PittaGAF

So Warhammer Quest is $5 for the main game, $3 per DLC, and $1-$100 for gold or whatever depending on how much you want to buy? There's also IAP to unlock additional classes too right?

I don't think they have already disclosed the expansions and additional characters prices (did they?)

Core game comes (as the original boardgame) with the 4 main characters (Marauder, Grey Wizard, Elf Waywatcher and Dwarf Ironbreaker) and a main quest.
On day one you will have a big expansion and 3 additional characters classes as iaps (likle the miniatures Games Workshop sold in the course of the years, each one has unique skills).
I do not know about gold...I think it will be like Hunters 2.

To be honest I never even watched the gold iaps, nor I can even understand why someone would buy those (as in Hunters 2): the game certainly doesn't require those.
Must be people that want legendary items on level 1 (and they will realize they will die nonetheless).

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't think they have already disclosed the expansions and additional characters prices (did they?)

Core game comes (as the original boardgame) with the 4 main characters (Marauder, Grey Wizard, Elf Waywatcher and Dwarf Ironbreaker) and a main quest.
On day one you will have a big expansion and 3 additional characters classes as iaps (likle the miniatures Games Workshop sold in the course of the years, each one has unique skills).
I do not know about gold...I think it will be like Hunters 2.

To be honest I never even watched the gold iaps, nor I can even understand why someone would buy those (as in Hunters 2): the game certainly doesn't require those.
Must be people that want legendary items on level 1 (and they will realize they will die nonetheless).

Not 100% sure, just asking / guessing with what I've seen for now. Getting prepared for all the IAP items that will be in the game, hopefully the character classes are just 99 cents, even if they're $2 each, I guess that's not bad.

So the full game (with expansion) and extra character classes will run around $15 (if those numbers are right $5 + $3 + 3 * $2), and there will still be gold available to purchase. Or maybe all three extra character classes are a single purchase and it will be closer to $10.

SteveWD40

On top of the core MQ you get daily random missions as well iirc? adds value at least.

Oh and I took the plunge on Poker Night 2, it's about 480mb installed (nice that it does not double like some apps) and runs pretty well on the mini, intro is a big laggy but the gameplay is smooth.

It's a premium title that needs some love, since it's a multiplatform with stellar voice work. Glados as the dealer is truly inspired.

PittaGAF

Not 100% sure, just asking / guessing with what I've seen for now. Getting prepared for all the IAP items that will be in the game, hopefully the character classes are just 99 cents, even if they're $2 each, I guess that's not bad.

So the full game (with expansion) and extra character classes will run around $15 (if those numbers are right $5 + $3 + 3 * $2), and there will still be gold available to purchase. Or maybe all three extra character classes are a single purchase and it will be closer to $10.

Ah I see.
Well...I'm ok with people throwing money to Rodeo Games because I'm selfish, I want them to be rich and publish many more expansions for Warhammer Quest (NDA or not, it's pretty clear I love the game) :p
Still...and I'm talking about my boardgame experience first and foremost...usually everyone has his preferences when it comes to characters....you aren't really required to buy them all...expecially when you levelled up 4 and played some main quests.
They play pretty differently...I'll buy them all just because I love the game and I feel it's value it's much higher than the one asked, but I won't use them all.
To be honest, I love the initial 4 characters and when I'll get the final game, I plan to complete (again) the game+expansion with them.
I'm waiting first and foremost for new expansions now, but I will buy asap the Bretonnian Knight and the Witchhunter if Rodeo will make those avaible.

On top of the core MQ you get daily random missions as well iirc? adds value at least.

Oh and I took the plunge on Poker Night 2, it's about 480mb installed (nice that it does not double like some apps) and runs pretty well on the mini, intro is a big laggy but the gameplay is smooth.

It's a premium title that needs some love, since it's a multiplatform with stellar voice work. Glados as the dealer is truly inspired.

the actual poker is kinda shitty with really unbelievable ai at times. It's only worth getting for the free hats and costumes for tf2 and borderlands... which i don't think are in the ios version.

There are better poket games on ios imo :/

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Our new game Regular Show: Best Park In The Universe is being released today.
Its a beat em up with XP leveling and that kind of stuff and NO VIRTUAL STICKS!
We plan to support it after release ... * wink wink * Free updates * wink wink *

Be sure to try it you like the show!
Papa needs a new Lamborghini

EDIT: Misc (Or any other mod) let me know if im breaking the rules.
EDIT2: Game feedback is always welcome too! Even if you hate it.

SteveWD40

the actual poker is kinda shitty with really unbelievable ai at times. It's only worth getting for the free hats and costumes for tf2 and borderlands... which i don't think are in the ios version.

There are better poket games on ios imo :/

Really? not noticed tbh, I love the atmosphere though and am pretty green at poker.

PittaGAF

I haven't played Hunters or Hunters 2, is it worth trying either of those or should I just give Warhammer a go next week?

If you love sci-fi, I would suggest to skip Hunters 1 and get directly Hunters 2.
Warhammer Quest, while sharing certain similar mechanics plays a tad differently and it's fantasy of course (it's a much bigger and more complete game too imho).

In reality it would be fairer saying that Hunters 1 and 2 share some similar mechanics to the Warhammer Quest boardgame, as the videogame of course does.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
If you love sci-fi, I would suggest to skip Hunters 1 and get directly Hunters 2.
Warhammer Quest, while sharing certain similar mechanics plays a tad differently and it's fantasy of course (it's a much bigger and more complete game too imho).

In reality it would be fairer saying that Hunters 1 and 2 share some similar mechanics to the Warhammer Quest boardgame, as the videogame of course does.

I like sci-fi, but if WQ is the bigger and better game then I don't mind that. I've been enjoying Talisman and Sorcery so have no aversion to the fantasy genre. I'll hold out and try that when it's released next week then. I assume it'll work on either iphone 4 or ipad 2?

PittaGAF

I like sci-fi, but if WQ is the bigger and better game then I don't mind that. I've been enjoying Talisman and Sorcery so have no aversion to the fantasy genre. I'll hold out and try that when it's released next week then. I assume it'll work on either iphone 4 or ipad 2?

Well yes, it's the new hotness for sure...go for it!

ParityBit

I'm in a similar boat. I grab games when free, many of which I've never played, many I've never installed. If I had the willpower, I'd either stop collecting them, or uninstall all but a couple so that I could focus on playing through them.

I think I may need to try the uninstall aspect. I do know once they are off the iPad, chances are they will never come back on. But this more than anything causes analysis paralysis which stops me from even playing sometimes. As silly as that sounds ....

Vire

New League of Evil 3 Screenshot:

loe3_teaser_ss03_sm.png

Looks great. :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Looks like Tetris Blitz is out today too. Any thoughts/worth my time?

I'm gonna try it over the weekend. It's aesthetically attractive and supposedly has the best touch controls for a Tetris game to date, but like Bejeweled Blitz it seems big on IAP-supported boosters. Obviously you can still play without them, but in a score attack game it kinda sucks to feel limited without dropping cash.

GWX

I can't help but think that $5 each would be a more appropriate (and lucrative) strategy for the platform.

It's a free app, with IAP to unlock the episodes. The first two cases in the first game are free, the other 3 cases are $5.99, and the other two games are $6.99 each, with an option to buy all of them for $16.99.

I just think LoE 2 was too easy. Hopefully they bring it back to original's level of difficulty.

Yeah that is a big part of it. I think the bigger sprites took away a bit from the control too...just didn't feel quite as tight.

I'll certainly be giving it a go though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom