• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

PittaGAF

How are the daily missions implemented? How random are they?

Whats the level cap?

Hows the loot? Lots of random prefixes?

There aren't 'daily contracts' as in Hunters.
BUT, between settlements there are always, in every possible directions, 'random quests' (you will have to travel there to actually enter that dungeon).
They are similar to the contracts, but more varied.
Loot is cool, many objects.
It's very different from D&D so not many random prefixes (also I do not know if you are familiar with Warhammer Old World...but loot is more...'normal').
Level cap is 6.
You will reach it playing normally at the end of the expansion.
It will take a while tough....took me about 15-20 hours.
I'm now over 60 :)

Anno

Did they give any indication of their post-release plans? Seems like the type of game that would benefit from expansions, added character types, loot etc., assuming it's commercially successful of course. Given the level of hype from all corners of the iOS gaming internet I assume it will be initially.

PittaGAF

Is there an actual story, with characters and stuff? Is it interesting? How is the narrative?

Yes there is a main campaign with quests and and a story you follow (both in the game and in the expansion).
It wraps up especially in the end.
If you are asking if it's better than Hunters 2 campaign....it's order of magnitudes better IMHO.
Story is very Warhammer-ish (so I liked it, can't wait for more :).

PittaGAF

Did they give any indication of their post-release plans? Seems like the type of game that would benefit from expansions, added character types, loot etc., assuming it's commercially successful of course. Given the level of hype from all corners of the iOS gaming internet I assume it will be initially.

The game will have a (very lengthy) expansion plus 3 additional characters on day one...so I really hope they will support a lot.
I'm already looking forward more expansions.

PittaGAF

Can you keep playing after? The random missions don't run out? How does retirment work?

I'm still playing constantly...so...yes :)
I have yet to retire a character.

Consider that there is the hardcore mode, which is true to the boardgame core game.
That mode is really endless (and incredibly engaging, much more than Hunters 2).

Anno

Consider that there is the hardcore mode, which is true to the boardgame core game.
That mode is really endless (and incredibly engaging, much more than Hunters 2).

Can you elaborate on this for someone who's never played either Hunters or Warhammer board games? By Hardcore is it just your dudes are dead forever when they die? If so, that sounds awesome.

PittaGAF

Can you elaborate on this for someone who's never played either Hunters or Warhammer board games? By Hardcore is it just your dudes are dead forever when they die? If so, that sounds awesome.

Yes...you are still playing the campaign but when a character die...it's dead.
His level, his precious loot...all gone.
You can hire a new character, but he will start from scratch.

Belive me, when you lose your cap level Marauder because you took the wrong way and got ambushed, it's not awesome.
Well...actually IT IS AWESOME.

octobot

Yes...you are still playing the campaign but when a character die...it's dead.
His level, his precious loot...all gone.
You can hire a new character, but he will start from scratch.

Belive me, when you lose your cap level Marauder because you took the wrong way and got ambushed, it's not awesome.
Well...actually IT IS AWESOME.

How much customization is there for characters? (Can you name each member?) does loot show up on characters? (Armour and weapons?)

How much customization is there for characters? (Can you name each member?) does loot show up on characters? (Armour and weapons?)

Loot (helmet, armor, shield and weapons) does show up on characters. There are also rings and consumables. You can rename the characters. You can buy gold in the game via IAP, but the progression is very fair.

Clunker

Oh man, Warhammer sounds amazing.

Did you play on iPhone or iPad? I saw they have cloud saves now (my number one requested feature for Hunters 2), so I'll try both, hopefully. Do you know if first-gen iPads will run Warhammer?

Did you play on iPhone or iPad? I saw they have cloud saves now (my number one requested feature for Hunters 2), so I'll try both, hopefully. Do you know if first-gen iPads will run Warhammer?

Cloud saves are in and work well. I played on both iPad 2 and iPhone 5. I like the larger amount of space on iPad, but the retina graphics on iPhone work every well too.

Can't comment on iPad 1.

Anno

Game will require an iOS version high enough that an iPad 1 won't be able to run the game. I'm not sure I want to play in on my iPhone 5, so I'm actually contemplating buying an iPad Mini for this and a handful of games I've missed out on by only having an original iPad.

So I had a chance to play one of the three IDOLM@STER games over the weekend. What I hadn't realized, is that each of the games has a ~30 or so minute animated episode built right into the app. That alone goes a long way towards explaining its price tag considering you're also getting a music game with 21+ songs on top of it - and a pretty fun music game, at that.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So I had a chance to play one of the three IDOLM@STER games over the weekend. What I hadn't realized, is that each of the games has a ~45 or so minute animated episode built right into the app. That alone goes a long way towards explaining its price tag considering you're also getting a music game with 21+ songs on top of it - and a pretty fun music game, at that.

It's just a rhythm game though right? None of the more interesting sim/management stuff?

It's just a rhythm game though right? None of the more interesting sim/management stuff?

As far as I could tell. I didn't get a chance to dig into all the modes the game offered but it seemed it was mostly a rhythm game. It's well optimized for iOS (controlled with taps/holds on the left/right sides of the screen) and the full motion video backgrounds look fantastic. After each song there's a few level gauges that increase based on which characters were involved in the song and other overall rank, and doing well increases your fan count as well.

octobot

Loot (helmet, armor, shield and weapons) does show up on characters. There are also rings and consumables. You can rename the characters. You can buy gold in the game via IAP, but the progression is very fair.

Awesome! Can't wait to dig into this one

PittaGAF

You can name each character as you wish plus you can name the whole party with a distinctive name.
Naming your characters in the hardcore mode marks the beginning to total addiction.
Loot does show on your characters.
I actually spent hours just in search for specific objects because I liked the look of them on my characters (like a Gandalf-like staff but with a red gem, or a cool silver shiny warhammer).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Game will require an iOS version high enough that an iPad 1 won't be able to run the game. I'm not sure I want to play in on my iPhone 5, so I'm actually contemplating buying an iPad Mini for this and a handful of games I've missed out on by only having an original iPad.

It plays brilliantly on iPhone, it's my main platform these days (with the wife hogging the iPad :p).

kodt

Banned
Question about Kingdom Rush. It was one of my favorite games, but I sort of hit a wall in the game and wanted some input. I was able to complete all of the normal campaign levels with no real issue. Some were challenging and took multiple tries, but I was always making progress and could come up with strategies for the levels. Plus it was fun to keep getting improved units/towers.

After I beat the final mission a bunch of bonus missions unlocked, they seemed near impossible and recommended 50 stars. I had about 40 or so. I had already 3 stared every level, so the only way to get more was to do the challenges on previous levels where you are limited to no heroes etc. These also seemed very difficult, and the fact that you cant use your upgrades kind of sucked.

I found the only way to win was to put it on Easy, and then buy those freezing items. Is this the only way to beat these? I never needed to buy items to beat levels before and sort of lost interest at that point.

uhhh I've been out of the loop...but is this a sequel? Like a brand new KR game? Or just a patch with some new levels?

New game, sequel.

Minsc

Gold Member
Question about Kingdom Rush. It was one of my favorite games, but I sort of hit a wall in the game and wanted some input. I was able to complete all of the normal campaign levels with no real issue. Some were challenging and took multiple tries, but I was always making progress and could come up with strategies for the levels. Plus it was fun to keep getting improved units/towers.

After I beat the final mission a bunch of bonus missions unlocked, they seemed near impossible and recommended 50 stars. I had about 40 or so. I had already 3 stared every level, so the only way to get more was to do the challenges on previous levels where you are limited to no heroes etc. These also seemed very difficult, and the fact that you cant use your upgrades kind of sucked.

I found the only way to win was to put it on Easy, and then buy those freezing items. Is this the only way to beat these? I never needed to buy items to beat levels before and sort of lost interest at that point.

I'm sure every last level can be finished on hard without any store items, but I don't like to check youtube for TD solutions, because it makes me feel pretty dumb lol. But I'd be shocked if every last level wasn't on there with the solution. Just googling for a random bonus level I've had trouble with Bandit's Lair, shows a solution and another simple match for Ruins of Acaroth.

Yeah, so just youtube any level you had trouble with to see how incredibly simple it is to beat it with no items at all. :)

I finished the main 12 levels of the campaign and the challenges all on hard without using any of the freezing items (or maybe a few sparingly spread out over the 36 stages, i can't remember), but the bonus levels really mess me up. I sometimes have to use 2-3 freezing items, other times none, but they're significantly more challenging and I'll frequently lose them. I only play for perfect wins though, so if any units get through at all I just quit and try again, though I noticed sometimes a single unit or two getting through won't take away from your rating.

I think the main problem I have lies in just not realizing how powerful certain tower upgrades can be in certain situations because what usually makes a level go from impossible to simple is just building the right few towers in the right order and location early on to get enough money to tackle any weak spots. But a proper solution wouldn't even have weak spots, which is another problem that goes back to really needing to know the towers in and out.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
File this under neat: iTunes now shows app updates on the apps themselves in your library.

o2R4Exa.png

Is there any game like Clash of Clans and stuff, that has crossplay with a PC version?

So I could play on the same account on both devices?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
That time of the month is approaching again, for June do we have anyone itching in the rafters to host the month or should I hop on again?

If so, thread title suggestions? Something quest/clash related perhaps, we'll be going on adventures as it begins after all.

Oh and summer is here supposedly. :p

That time of the month is approaching again, for June do we have anyone itching in the rafters to host the month or should I hop on again?

If so, thread title suggestions? Something quest/clash related perhaps, we'll be going on adventures as it begins after all.

Oh and summer is here supposedly. :p

Have you stopped updating the OT with cool games of the month? Combo Crew definitely deserves to be on recommended!

How different is Eighty Eight from Drop 7? I played a bunch of Drop 7 and got bored after a few weeks, but all the positive reviews about Eighty Eight have piqued my interest. I'm hesitant to purchase, though, because it seems eerily similar to Drop 7

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
How different is Eighty Eight from Drop 7? I played a bunch of Drop 7 and got bored after a few weeks, but all the positive reviews about Eighty Eight have piqued my interest. I'm hesitant to purchase, though, because it seems eerily similar to Drop 7
8 row/columns instead of 7, a few minor twists like bombs that clear mutliple blocks, and a lot more variety to the way scoring is done. Eighty Eight feels like a slightly more fleshed out take on the concept, but I prefer the lesser amount of rows/columns in Drop 7 since it makes the pace of games brisker.

RustyO

Further to Minsc's advice; I beat the entire game without using any items/jewels at all; and am a perfectionist as well.

It is definitely doable; but a lot comes down to which towers you use where; and how you upgrade them? That Bandit's Lair one can be done with a small pile of Tesla towers... or concentrate or Mages (Teleport or Sheep) for example.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: It'll be an adventure, we're going on an adventure!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Have you stopped updating the OT with cool games of the month? Combo Crew definitely deserves to be on recommended!
That one would be an oversight on my part. I haven't read much about it myself. Been occupied with other iOS games. I'll add it if it should be there :). Can even tag along to June for more exposure since I'd be adding it so late in May (same goes for the impending WHQ).

That one would be an oversight on my part. I haven't read much about it myself. Been occupied with other iOS games. I'll add it if it should be there :). Can even tag along to June for more exposure since I'd be adding it so late in May (same goes for the impending WHQ).
And Phoenix wright!

colinp

Banned
How much is Warhammer going to be?

And how much is the new Kingdom Rush going to be??

What a great few weeks of iOS gaming.. The Summer of iOS begins!

Anno

How much is Warhammer going to be?

And how much is the new Kingdom Rush going to be??

What a great few weeks of iOS gaming.. The Summer of iOS begins!

Not sure on KR, but Warhammer will be $4.99 with an expansion and additional classes as IAPs. Sees like a good price for sucha long game with apparently high production values.

Li Kao

Not sure on KR, but Warhammer will be $4.99 with an expansion and additional classes as IAPs. Sees like a good price for sucha long game with apparently high production values.

Not bad at all. We will see about the iap pricing, but at first glance they would had to price it very high to make the deal look bad.

Anno

Not bad at all. We will see about the iap pricing, but at first glance they would had to price it very high to make the deal look bad.

People have extrapolated from some Danish video review that the entire game will run about $20. I'll be curious to see for sure, but I for one am more than happy to see iOS become more "premium" when warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom