• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynoro

Between Sorcery, Star Command and Talisman (now I've been convinced to get it) its going to be a pretty packed week.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just made an idiot of myself in the Star Command Tutorials. made a laser gun, and it just says push the button to fire. I'm tapping at the points without realising it's a mini-game where you have to time the dots inside the circles. I've just been tapping them without realising it for about 4 turns thinking "why am I always missing?"

Very early impressions is that the graphics look nice. It is a little FTL like, but this is much more about micro managing & getting crew to make "tokens" for skills and stuff so far.

The tutorial isn't brilliant. It seems like you have to give a "token" to recruit a staff member (science/engineering/tactical) but they don't inherit anything from that, all their stats are still 0 and they start as a white shirt until you assign them, so it seems like just an arbitrary "staff costs 1 token" rather than you giving them a point start in a discipline or anything.

I had exactly the same experience as I started playing. Missed the lasers repeatedly until I realised about the dots, with crew battles happening in real time I was in the "quickly fire at things!" mentality and so missed a lot. I also kept trying to use the tokens to make crew members to match the rooms I wanted to fill, now I realise it's just a one token cost I'll try and save the kind I need for building/upgrading. Didn't realise that the captain has a special skill for a while either, just had him sitting in the bridge doing nothing while the ship was being attacked.

Enjoying it so far, though I haven't had a chance to play too much. Downloaded Sorcery too so will be trying that out soon!

SteveWD40

EDIT (somehow I missed pasting the important part):
As someone who didn't enjoy a lot the 'choose your own path' books digital adaptation (I tried with the exceptionally made Tinsomething games) because I love to be part of a story, but I hate replaying the same part over and over to select other routes...would you say it's enjoyable?

Perhaps, you can move around the map with a little more freedom than the books it seems.

colinp

Banned
Is it really not possible to move all troops at once in Autumn Dynasty? Or at least more than one at a time? Seems fun enough, but the writing is terrible.

m0t0k1

Anything old (Super Bit Bash, Run Like Hell etc.) I can recommend requires at least 4.3 now due to updates sorry

edit: found a couple! Used to like the paid app, now it's free with iap and requires 4.0

I Must Run! Reloaded

ty2sL.jpg

This is on sale for €0,89 and it's not really "endless" but pretty cool, runs on 3.0:

Mirror's Edge

I already got Mirrors Edge during a free period. That one was great fun i will check out I must run thanks.

PittaGAF

Perhaps, you can move around the map with a little more freedom than the books it seems.

Did you find a situation where you died and had to backtrack 'pages back'...re-read parts of the very same story and then choose another path to succefully continue?
That is the part that I hate and can't enjoy.

Thanks, much appreciated!

SteveWD40

Did you find a situation where you died and had to backtrack 'pages back'...re-read parts of the very same story and then choose another path to succefully continue?
That is the part that I hate and can't enjoy.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Yeah, pretty much if you die, maybe best you avoid.

I had exactly the same experience as I started playing. Missed the lasers repeatedly until I realised about the dots, with crew battles happening in real time I was in the "quickly fire at things!" mentality and so missed a lot. I also kept trying to use the tokens to make crew members to match the rooms I wanted to fill, now I realise it's just a one token cost I'll try and save the kind I need for building/upgrading. Didn't realise that the captain has a special skill for a while either, just had him sitting in the bridge doing nothing while the ship was being attacked.

Enjoying it so far, though I haven't had a chance to play too much. Downloaded Sorcery too so will be trying that out soon!

Glad it's not just me! That bit wasn't greatly explained.

I see I can add multiple people to the same job/room as well. Apart from having more staff on teh ship to shoot/heal/repair, I have no idea if having them in the room offers a stats/speed boost or what.

I also had no idea the captain had a special skill. Mine has been sat on the bridge the entire time.

krYlon

Wow, the Sorcery app is incredibly impressive. They've really made an effort to make it more than just a digital replica of a gamebook. I love the map, the combat seems pretty cool so far, even the spell casting is really stylish.
And I'm so glad they've kept the original illustrations by John Blanche. One thing I don't like about the Tinman releases is that the new images are no match for the old Fighting Fantasy illustrations.

So, it seems like they've got everything right, so far...

Good to know that the second part, Khare: Cityport of traps is on the way soon. Was my favourite gamebook as a kid, cant wait to see it if it holds up.

Edit: Pocket Gamer gave it 9/10
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Steve+Jackson's+Sorcery!/review.asp?c=50527

Marv_79

Neo Member

Snap, took me about 15 into the first battle to realise it weren't going nowhere.

What does the captain’s special skill do? I just tried it for the first time and nothing really seems happens a part from the screen blinking once?

Also, I'm not gonna play it anymore on the iphone it's far too fiddly, I'm only on the 3rd battle and I’m getting mullered, gonna wait till I get home and play it on the ipad instead. Such a shame there ain’t no cloud saving.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Snap, took me about 15 into the first battle to realise it weren't going nowhere.

What does the captain’s special skill do? I just tried it for the first time and nothing really seems happens a part from the screen blinking once?

Also, I'm not gonna play it anymore on the iphone it's far too fiddly, I'm only on the 3rd battle and I’m getting mullered, gonna wait till I get home and play it on the ipad instead. Such a shame there ain’t no cloud saving.

I'm not sure what it does, looks like a target so I assume it's for use during combat. There's no indication within the app that it's there, let alone what it's for though. I clicked it when I saw it, nothing happened as there were no enemies around, and then it needed to recharge before I could use it again. I'll try it out in the next battle I have.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Tunesmith said:
PittaGAF said:
In the end, Touch Arcade did cover Star Command, and it seems they actually really liked it.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/04/09/ta-plays-star-command-a-brutal-and-quirky-sci-fi-sim/
4.5/5 stars!
From the April iOS thread #426

I'm a magician:

Still looking at some quotables summing up the good/bad for the OP for this.
Mined some impressions for Sorcery! already. :)

All this board game goodness has made me think that the ipad needs this:

captureojuhy.png

Good old HeroQuest, so many hours as a young lad. Is Warhammer Quest pretty much the same thing? They look sort of the same but different with their focus.

SteveWD40

captureojuhy.png

Good old HeroQuest, so many hours as a young lad. Is Warhammer Quest pretty much the same thing? They look sort of the same but different with their focus.

Not sure about the boardgames, but I imagine WHQ will be as close as we will get on iOS.

I'm not sure what it does, looks like a target so I assume it's for use during combat. There's no indication within the app that it's there, let alone what it's for though. I clicked it when I saw it, nothing happened as there were no enemies around, and then it needed to recharge before I could use it again. I'll try it out in the next battle I have.

The guide at Pocket Gamer explains some of the mystery CAUTION, HAS MISSION SPOILERS ETC

Also mentions some design choices I didn't know about

Assign crew members to the bridge to make extra red soldier units.

news to me!

Your ship cannot blow up, no matter how much damage it takes. The only way to get a Game Over is for your captain to die.

Wat?

So this game really is about micromanagement of crew & roles it appears, WHILST you deal with the mini-games of inflicting damage & ending the scenario by destroying the enemy ship. The ship/ship combat seems pretty secondary to the unit movement/job role/internal invader side of things.

Dats pocket tactics mah friend.

Edit: you were fast, but not fast enough...

They have succeeded in putting me off as well, I figured if it was at least repayable on new game + then it might have some longevity but the campaign takes about 3 hours all told...

Will wait on the FTL port I think, sounds like the PC version of Star Command is getting the sandbox mode.

I've heard from a VERY reliable source that there isn't an FTL port coming. Don't hold your breath...

PittaGAF

captureojuhy.png

I can try to answer this.
Hero Quest is the grand grand father of Warhammer Quest.
First, there was Hero Quest (fixed board)...then Advanced Hero Quest....then their spiritual successor, which is Warhammer Quest.
They are different games tough...the first thing that sticks out as evident difference is that WHQ didn't have a fixed board, but had tiles that you attached as long the game progressed, forming the dungeon...so every game was different (besides having picked different quests/target rooms and such).

Warhammer Quest (using the full blown rules, not just the core ones) tried to be less a boardgame (which is still is) and more a roleplaying game.
It is an happy medium I still find is ton of fun.

This video could help, as you are already familiar with HeroQuest...you will see almost immediately the differences (and the similarities).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAr67DEd5B4

In any case, I think you won't be disappointed with your iPad in the next future :p

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Star Command...hmm. Not really liking it right now. Poorly explained mechanics (I too spent a couple rounds of combat wondering what I was doing wrong) and the tediousness of battle is unacceptable to me on a portable game. I'm hoping it opens up a bit more, but right now it's not really a bad game, per se, but it's not anything special. Probably just a victim of its own hype. Totally serviceable, just not great or particularly fun.

Yet. Just initial impressions after an hour of play through.

SteveWD40

I've heard from a VERY reliable source that there isn't an FTL port coming. Don't hold your breath...

v7naLfW.gif

It's small, low impact and would be PERFECT for tablets. I can't be arsed sitting at my desk to play games any more and Star Command isn't half the game FTL is...

/firstworldproblems

Forkball

I would definitely rebuy FTL if it came to iOS. I love it on PC, but it is a perfect portable game.

So Star Command is disappointing? I was hoping it would be an even more detailed FTL. Maybe I should get Sorcery instead.

When I start seeing video of Star Command I was kinda bummed its not Game Dev story like. It focus more on battles rather the simulation and planets

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I would definitely rebuy FTL if it came to iOS. I love it on PC, but it is a perfect portable game.
I'm brainstorming how hard it would be to put the Mac version into a wrapper and emulate it on iOS for my own personal amusement. I've already played it natively via touch controls and it works quite alright as it is.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Guys... Sorcery is SO GOOD. Great style, great writing, clever combat system, very user-friendly... I like everything about it.

Between this and what Tin Man Games is doing, I'm extremely excited about the possibility for more interactive fiction / light RPGs / board game... things to hit iOS. It's just a great system for deep storytelling.

captureojuhy.png

same here, I even hand-painted all the pieces. LOL, such a young nerd.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Guys... Sorcery is SO GOOD. Great style, great writing, clever combat system, very user-friendly... I like everything about it.

Between this and what Tin Man Games is doing, I'm extremely excited about the possibility for more interactive fiction / light RPGs / board game... things to hit iOS. It's just a great system for deep storytelling.
Any word on length, or silly as it may sound replay value?

Double D

Year Walk
The Silent Age
Broken Sword
Broken Sword 2
Beneath a Steel Sky
Gemini Rue
Ghost Trick
Finding Teddy
City of Secrets

City of Secrets completed. Decent game, but definitely has it's issues. Found myself using the hint system too much instead of just warping randomly from area to area to figure out what I'm supposed to do next. If I just hit the hint button, it tells me where I'm supposed to go, then I figured out what to do from there.

And yes, it does beat you over the head a bit with it's humor, but not too bad. Probably the worst part was the voice acting. Aside from the main character, it ranged from mediocre to bad.

It was good enough for me to want to play the sequel, but I think I'll wait until all the episodes are out to dive in.

So where should I head from here? Anyone know of anything decent currently on sale? iPhone compatible games, please.

sueil

Sorcery is a lot of fun. Was playing it this morning when cut off with no internet. Not sure about replay value overall but I died along the way and am going to replay it due to that. Very cool game.

Edit: Turns out if you mess up at any point you can rewind the game and make different choices. A nifty feature and pretty handy.

chris121580

How in the hell do you fire your weapon on Star Command with the rotating circles??? This is driving me absolutely nuts. I'm assuming the dot has to be in the center of the circle which I've been doing and it's not working

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
How in the hell do you fire your weapon on Star Command with the rotating circles??? This is driving me absolutely nuts. I'm assuming the dot has to be in the center of the circle which I've been doing and it's not working

You want to tap right in the middle of the big circle just as the little, moving dot is inside of the little circle. You have a small window of opportunity to hit all three for maximum damage. It seems like pretty much all of us were confused by this.

chris121580

You want to tap right in the middle of the big circle just as the little, moving dot is inside of the little circle. You have a small window of opportunity to hit all three for maximum damage. It seems like pretty much all of us were confused by this.

Thanks for that. I understand they want us to "figure things out" on our own but not having a tutorial for things like that is just unacceptable to me. For as much time as they spent on this game, you'd think they could've made a more fleshed out tutorial for us

nimbus

Banned
Been playing nothing but Michael Vick's Gametime lately. Really captures the art of quarterbacking well. Is there a better football game on the App Store?

So where should I head from here? Anyone know of anything decent currently on sale? iPhone compatible games, please.

Here are a few more, most of them ports of PC games. I just wrapped Fester Mudd and really enjoyed it's sharp writing and puzzles that make sense. About to get Fetch and start on that. Hamlet (Which I played on PC) looks brilliant, but it's brutally difficult with a nigh-useless hint system. Just FYI.

The Journey Down: Chapter One (Free right now)
Fetch
Mcpixel
Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold
Hiversaires
Kaptain Brawe: A Brave New World
Hamlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom