• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

avcables

Banned
Star Command Bug Protip: Selecting a crew member "pauses" him, even when he would have been ejected in a direction from an explosion. This has happened twice now. Not sure if it's a timing bug or it'll just always work.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I really hate those weapon mini games in star command. I doubt the enemy has to do a mini game when firing on my ship.

The weapon system would be better if the weapons were weak then with time upgrade them instead doing a stupid mini game

And why are my shields crap?

And how do we even save the princess?

NeoCross

So many good games going on sale. GTA: Vice City, Ascendancy($.99!!) and God of Blades. Guess that's more games added to my backlog.

avcables

Banned
I really hate those weapon mini games in star command. I doubt the enemy has to do a mini game when firing on my ship.

The weapon system would be better if the weapons were weak then with time upgrade them instead doing a stupid mini game

And why are my shields crap?

And how do we even save the princess?

The mini-games give the fights a sense of accomplishment rather then just charging and firing repeatedly. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to much of any balance in place with enemy weapon systems vs. what your shields are capable of withstanding.

Shield can be upgraded, but to what effect?

And you save her by making sure she doesn't die ever. There's one rule in this game: your Captain dies, game over. When you take the princess on, I think the same rule applies to her unless the screen that shows when you get a game over is a random race being killed.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The mini-games give the fights a sense of accomplishment rather then just charging and firing repeatedly. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to much of any balance in place with enemy weapon systems vs. what your shields are capable of withstanding.

Shield can be upgraded, but to what effect?

And you save her by making sure she doesn't die ever. There's one rule in this game: your Captain dies, game over. When you take the princess on, I think the same rule applies to her unless the screen that shows when you get a game over is a random race being killed.

It seems like after the first ship battle all the other ships destroy my shields with one shot.

Oh and how do we unlock the other ships?

I almost wish this game had IAPs

avcables

Banned
It seems like after the first ship battle all the other ships destroy my shields with one shot.

Oh and how do we unlock the other ships?

I almost wish this game had IAPs

The first couple battles are training missions, I think. Not all fights result in ships that will take them down instantly. You can use your tokens to upgrade your ship's shield regen abilities, too.

Not sure about unlocking the other ships. I almost imagine they don't exist yet.

Also, excellent grinding without real fear of getting anyone killed:

bx-trQKYzWEQWWCR8RwKTQJW_z2Rd547MzqnQLk5VQ0

RustyO

So many good games going on sale. GTA: Vice City, Ascendancy($.99!!) and God of Blades. Guess that's more games added to my backlog.

That looks confusing, yet intriguing...

God of Blades I was thinking of grabbing after reading the Pocket Tactis review / award thing last night.

Star command sounds a little disappointing, especially with all the delays and two kickstarters behind it.

it is a little disappointing, for me atleast. Space battles are too slow and i hate that every enemy ship can just spawn infinite amount of invaders to my ship, but i have to struggle with 9 crew members doing everything at once. I mean if they would run out of invaders at some point that would make more sense. Now my crew is just spread out too thin trying to repair the ship, load the slow-ass torpedoes and keep killing invading dudes. (atleast all my crew was lieutenant level after a zombie fight that took 20 minutes) :p

What's people thoughts on Autumn Dynasty? Seems to have got good reviews from websites and users and the demo is fun. Seems a nice strategy game designed well for touch screens but how does the full game hold up overall?

Oh and Ascendancy has dropped in price to 69p. Any impressions on this?

Oh and Ascendancy has dropped in price to 69p. Any impressions on this?

It is decent enough in isolation, and really worth the price. But at the moment you would be much better of buying and playing Orion or Eclipse or both (at least until Ascendancy 2 comes). Despite ticking most of the boxes, it just doesn't come close to the others in my opinion.

avcables

Banned
it is a little disappointing, for me atleast. Space battles are too slow and i hate that every enemy ship can just spawn infinite amount of invaders to my ship, but i have to struggle with 9 crew members doing everything at once. I mean if they would run out of invaders at some point that would make more sense. Now my crew is just spread out too thin trying to repair the ship, load the slow-ass torpedoes and keep killing invading dudes. (atleast all my crew was lieutenant level after a zombie fight that took 20 minutes) :p

Absolutely agree. It doesn't make sense that you have to sacrifice your crew members that are running rooms of the ship when the enemy vessel is a giant monster closet.

I'm finally making more progress in the battles. Utilizing the bridge's 3 Red crew members and both of my Blue crew members is generally enough to ward off invaders. I'll occasionally take out one Red crew member from each weapon room if the enemies are hard enough. Also, make sure your dodge room is producing the ammo needed to dodge before you engage with an enemy. This will let you avoid up to 2 weapon attacks and time to cook up another ammo token and avoid a third. This way you'll be able to focus more on invader defense for a couple volleys.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Absolutely agree. It doesn't make sense that you have to sacrifice your crew members that are running rooms of the ship when the enemy vessel is a giant monster closet.

I'm finally making more progress in the battles. Utilizing the bridge's 3 Red crew members and both of my Blue crew members is generally enough to ward off invaders. I'll occasionally take out one Red crew member from each weapon room if the enemies are hard enough. Also, make sure your dodge room is producing the ammo needed to dodge before you engage with an enemy. This will let you avoid up to 2 weapon attacks and time to cook up another ammo token and avoid a third. This way you'll be able to focus more on invader defense for a couple volleys.

Great tips, that's pretty much what I've discovered too and it seems to be the way to go.

I agree that a few things definitely need to be fixed with Star Command, but I'm honestly having a blast with it. I couldn't put it down last night.

Danneee

Gave star command another chance but damn the game just does too many things wrong. Stupid AI, unclear leveling and building system, no prompts for stuff happening off screen. I guess my expectations were high too.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Star command is a huge bummer.

Seems linear as fuck.

On ship combat is clumsy.

Ship to ship combat is boring plus crappy mini game.

Writing is cringeworthy.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's a total fucking mess. Such a disappointment.
It's the one Kickstarted project of mine I started having doubts about, it's sad to see my fears came true. Their initial goal of having it be like XCOM in combat could have resulted in an amazing game, I hated the change but since that was the kind of game they were inspired by I figured they might still manage to put out something cool so I pledged for the PC port. And that cost several times the final iOS price with no bonuses, wtf? This sucks. Way to screw over early adopters regardless of the quality of the final game. I guess they realized it wasn't worth any more than that after they changed the design goals into something far more lackluster but didn't tell us.

Edit: actually I have doubts for Shadowrun Returns too the way they've handled that. But none of the others, thankfully (Torment, Wasteland 2, FTL which we already got, Antharion and some that didn't make it, I also look forward to lots of other crowd funded games I didn't pledge for but they made it, and I'm done with Kickstarter now anyway, I'll support other projects in different ways if possible or by simply buying the end product). Edit: scratch Shadowrun Returns, I forgot I already got my refund I asked for after the DRM and DLC shenanigans. So, all the projects I actually backed should end up decent except this.

Bluez

Loving Star Command after giving it some time...frantic fun at first, tho I agree weapon mini games are a chore..I bet the enemy ship aren't playing mini-games.

I did figure out that putting everyone in weapon rooms including blue shirts, the captain and engineers make game very easy.

Don't ever leave those rooms during fights your ship doesn't blow up even if it has massive damage.

As it takes more damage don't repair, it becomes a defense against invasion (fires and breaches stop the enemies)

If an enemy does enter any weapon room they are overwhelmed easily.

Great very flawed game though hopefully updates can fix stuff like this.

PaulLFC

I started replaying Game Dev Story recently, and now I've gone past the "end" of the game I'm just trying to get the most out of it. I have all genres and types, and have made the best console.

My plan was to then have a full team of hackers making games for it, but I saw in a guide that this isn't advisable as hackers don't contribute much to the selectable parts of development such as graphics and sound. Instead directors or producers should be used for these.

Is that true? They seem to contribute quite a bit for me, and hackers have much better stats than employees with other jobs.

Kosh

I like Star Command so far. I didn't keep up with it during development and I've never played FTL so I don't have high expectations or something to compare it to.

Is there any benefit to assigning crew members to the Engine Room or Bridge?

iceatcs

Did anyone here back Star Command?

Oops, besides Alextended.

I didn't fund, but I'm really enjoying it because I do love trial and error. Again it isn't easy for casual iOS users like alot of us. It is extreme hardcore gamey with some flaws.

avcables

Banned
Loving Star Command after giving it some time...frantic fun at first, tho I agree weapon mini games are a chore..I bet the enemy ship aren't playing mini-games.

I did figure out that putting everyone in weapon rooms including blue shirts, the captain and engineers make game very easy.

Don't ever leave those rooms during fights your ship doesn't blow up even if it has massive damage.

As it takes more damage don't repair, it becomes a defense against invasion (fires and breaches stop the enemies)

If an enemy does enter any weapon room they are overwhelmed easily.

Great very flawed game though hopefully updates can fix stuff like this.

I noticed that the ship's "health" stopped dropping. So you could feasibly just stack the weapon rooms with half of the entire ship's staff equally between both rooms and brute force your way through invasions? How cheap. Haha.

Can anyone recommend 2-3 games within $5 that will entertain me this weekend? I haven't played Ipad games since last year around this time.

The End

I noticed that the ship's "health" stopped dropping. So you could feasibly just stack the weapon rooms with half of the entire ship's staff equally between both rooms and brute force your way through invasions? How cheap. Haha.

Yeah, I'm liking Star Command quite a bit but it definitely feels kind of unfinished, especially in light of FTL's huge success.

PFD

I guess the best thing to do right now would be to wait a couple months for the 'public beta' phase to be over before I buy Star Command.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sorry, this promotion is not available in your country.
44 countries? sux that mine is not one of those 44.

United States, Algeria, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Canada, Chad, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vietnam

United States, Algeria, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Canada, Chad, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vietnam

I read this in Yacko's voice.

Thanks for another promo, Justin.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Is Ace Patrol really doing a soft launch in Canada? Still scheduled for the 9th for everywhere else?

more thoughts on Star Command,

i wish the missions were more varied and there would be some choice. Everytime i warp to a planet i can be sure there will be a battle. The talking choices are mostly meaningless, i wish i could make alliances or trade chips or something instead of always ending up in a fight :p

and beaming on board should not be possible while i have shields! :D

Is Ace Patrol really doing a soft launch in Canada? Still scheduled for the 9th for everywhere else?

Just downloaded it this morning and...It's pretty damn good! It's a turn-based strategy game using WWI planes. Even though you're playing on a board of hexes, you still need to deal with various elevations and cloud cover, and 'cause you're a plane, you need to be constantly moving. I've only done four missions thus far and I've unlocked a few upgrades and a wing lady.

Edit: Actually just finished the first campaign, which is only about 5 missions long. Afterwards, you can pay to unlock various other campaigns. You know what Sid? Fair enough. I'm digging the game and will buy the entire British Campaign, you crafty sunnovabitch.

Rekwest

Nop! Mexico :(

iceatcs

i wish the missions were more varied and there would be some choice. Everytime i warp to a planet i can be sure there will be a battle. The talking choices are mostly meaningless, i wish i could make alliances or trade chips or something instead of always ending up in a fight :p

Yeah I wish too, but I think I'm very early stage atm.

I'm on the 2nd system - done Pip and Cranus.

kilongs

Yeah, very dissappointing so far. I thought there would be more to this than what I've encountered so far.

Also pretty dissapointed about the lack of custimization to both your crew and the ship.

Maybe things open up further into the game...I hope.

PFD

Just downloaded it this morning and...It's pretty damn good! It's a turn-based strategy game using WWI planes. Even though you're playing on a board of hexes, you still need to deal with various elevations and cloud cover, and 'cause you're a plane, you need to be constantly moving. I've only done four missions thus far and I've unlocked a few upgrades and a wing lady.

Edit: Actually just finished the first campaign, which is only about 5 missions long. Afterwards, you can pay to unlock various other campaigns. You know what Sid? Fair enough. I'm digging the game and will buy the entire British Campaign, you crafty sunnovabitch.

I know what I'm downloading tonight.

Could I get a Star Command impression from someone who has absolutely zero history with, knowledge of, or stake in the game? I'd not even heard of it until a week ago. But the style and concept sounds great to me.

If I have no strict expectations going in, and I just want a fun game, will this game scratch my itch?

(For the record, I do fucking love FTL. I just wasn't sitting around waiting for a portable FTL or anything like that, so I'm not worried if this isn't that.)

Could I get a Star Command impression from someone who has absolutely zero history with, knowledge of, or stake in the game? I'd not even heard of it until a week ago. But the style and concept sounds great to me.

If I have no strict expectations going in, and I just want a fun game, will this game scratch my itch?

(For the record, I do fucking love FTL. I just wasn't sitting around waiting for a portable FTL or anything like that, so I'm not worried if this isn't that.)

I bought it but haven't played it.

My brother-in-law bought it with no history and absolutely loves it. I got an email from him this AM telling me I need to buy this unknown game....so context probably does matter. I will follow up once I have played it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Star Command is a good game that's going to get crucified (not entirely unfairly) based on the sky-high expectations.

In a vacuum, it's good. In reality, it's disappointing.

Star Command is a good game that's going to get crucified (not entirely unfairly) based on the sky-high expectations.

In a vacuum, it's good. In reality, it's disappointing.

Fair enough. But some of us -- like me -- are in the vacuum. I have no idea how, given that I play iOS games constantly and read about them constantly, but I am in the vacuum.

As a man in the vacuum, as it were: should I bite?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So uh ace patrol not getting launched in US until next week or something?

Id love to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom