• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
New armies in Neuroshima seem like a lot of fun. :D I'm definitely getting back into this game; glad there are still gaffers playing and it's actually a game my friends play as well. Wish there wasn't the damn 6-game limit though.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
New armies in Neuroshima seem like a lot of fun. :D I'm definitely getting back into this game; glad there are still gaffers playing and it's actually a game my friends play as well. Wish there wasn't the damn 6-game limit though.

Ray and I constantly have a game going :p

Also, Caylus with GC? Interesting... Someone hit me up with an invite for a 4p
Game or so :D

AirBrian

Slacker got it 104-78.

I had three chances with like 20 tiles left to equalize the game. He gets all three. The Carc gods are not with me today. Good luck the rest of the way!

Slacker

Slacker got it 104-78.

I had three chances with like 20 tiles left to equalize the game. He gets all three. The Carc gods are not with me today. Good luck the rest of the way!

Yep great game. It was a lot closer than the score indicates. Came down to the last two tiles, really. :O

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How many players is ideal for you guys in Carc?

For me, it is 2-3 people all the way, with 2 perhaps being my favorite.

I like 2 player Carc the best.

Forced my 14 year old niece to play the Summoner Wars master set with me tonight. She'd never played before. Destroyed my Mountain Vargath the first match due to Magic Stasis. And I barely one the second match as the Benders vs the Shadow Elves. She actually had fun. I like this game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I like 3-4 especially IRL just for the diplomacy/backstabbing aspects. 2 is great too though. Almost like different games a la Race for the Galaxy 2 and 2+. 5 sucks though, no question.

Hereafter

I like 2 player Carc the best.

Forced my 14 year old niece to play the Summoner Wars master set with me tonight. She'd never played before. Destroyed my Mountain Vargath the first match due to Magic Stasis. And I barely one the second match as the Benders vs the Shadow Elves. She actually had fun. I like this game.

If you fly to Calgary, I'll play with you :). No one near me plays boardgames.

Depends on who im playing, I usually like to just play 2 player with people from GAF, but I will load in as many as I can if its with friends. That pretty much applies to any board game too, not just carc.

Edit: Where did our Neuroshima Hex game go Scrabbledude? I dont remember it being over...hmmmm

Also, your a Calgarian Hereafter? Were officially enemies now FYI! :p

If you fly to Calgary, I'll play with you :). No one near me plays boardgames.
There's gotta be at least one gaming group in Calgary. I drive 45 minutes to get to my group. I found it via reddit. My wife plays too and is awesome at board games but I usually want to play more than she does. And she hasn't tried Summoner Wars yet, but my niece was telling her about the awesome moments she had.

As great as the iOS version is, there's something super gratifying about that moment when you roll actual dice and it really counts.

Ray, maybe it timed out? I noticed it was gone earlier too. Or maybe you already beat me. Lol.

There's gotta be at least one gaming group in Calgary. I drive 45 minutes to get to my group. I found it via reddit. My wife plays too and is awesome at board games but I usually want to play more than she does. And she hasn't tried Summoner Wars yet, but my niece was telling her about the awesome moments she had.

As great as the iOS version is, there's something super gratifying about that moment when you roll actual dice and it really counts.

Ray, maybe it timed out? I noticed it was gone earlier too. Or maybe you already beat me. Lol.

Oh well! Perfect reason to start a new one and play with new teams! Yay.

Hereafter

Also, your a Calgarian Hereafter? Were officially enemies now FYI! :p

Oh you're from that stinky place up north? ;-) Can we both hate Vancouver though?

@Scrabbledude, to tell you the truth, I'm kinda busy with the little one to actually go anywhere to play. I like you guys on GAF and the other forums so online is good enough for me.

Oh you're from that stinky place up north? ;-) Can we both hate Vancouver though?

@Scrabbledude, to tell you the truth, I'm kinda busy with the little one to actually go anywhere to play. I like you guys on GAF and the other forums so online is good enough for me.

Yeah, and Toronto! Ok ok we're not enemies anymore.

The flames still suck though. :p

tm24

Oh man, placing cards down or rolling dice IRL is the best. Especially custom faction dice. Its just so gratifying, especially when you do it one after another. Also, the reactions are the best.

Smiley90

Both you guys are just jealous of Canada's best team. This will make beating Ray in every game even more satisfying.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Astrolad beat me 90-88 in the Carc tourney.

He got the massive field, I got lucky with a big city late but wasn't able to eek out the few extra points for the win.

Fun game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Astrolad beat me 90-88 in the Carc tourney.

He got the massive field, I got lucky with a big city late but wasn't able to eek out the few extra points for the win.

Fun game.

Yeah man that was a great game. For a while there it felt like we kept getting each others' pieces. So much big stuff open on the board though that every piece of the last 30 felt pivotal.

mercviper

YwjXS.jpg

Close game!

GC request sent to gamecocks

Both you guys are just jealous of Canada's best team. This will make beating Ray in every game even more satisfying.

Pfft, I win a bunch in nightfall :(

I must be doing decent against you in neuroshima too, I win a decent amount of my NH games it seems.

You do easily have more wins vs me across all games though, haha. Though, I think just about everyone here does :p

Does it annoy anyone else that you can't turn off the assists in Carc? It really changes the game to know exactly what pieces are left and where you can put things without having to think about it.

Does it annoy anyone else that you can't turn off the assists in Carc? It really changes the game to know exactly what pieces are left and where you can put things without having to think about it.
It's an option in the rules, you should be able to do it before you create an invite.
o7UnC.jpg

I'm sure it would be harder to be mean without the Xs

You can tell what pieces are left anyways. The tile pool is always the same.

If you spend time counting them all, but not all players do, meaning you gain an advantage by using your brain, something that isn't needed with the assists on. Levels the playing field and makes it easier for newcomers.

If you spend time counting them all, but not all players do, meaning you gain an advantage by using your brain, something that isn't needed with the assists on. Levels the playing field and makes it easier for newcomers.
I would argue that not having the assist is actually more difficult for newcomers, since they are less likely to know which tiles would still be available. Not only would they have to be concerned about having their pieces locked without knowing it, but they might even add meeples to the board in spaces that can never be completed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
More people really need to be playing Neuroshima. Yeah it doesn't have the greatest notifications (what does really outside of Playdek & Carc?) but the game itself as a 2P is so amazing and the new armies are really fun.

Man, I hate games in SW when you get all 3 of your champs in your hand REALLY early, and your other cards are really good event cards for those champs. So you cant summon your champions, and dont want to build with your events, haha. Mean while, your enemy pulls out a champ, and then drops a Krung on you right after. BLEH!

bonesquad

I love the game (NH) but the multiplayer interface is so clunky.

I totally agree. Fuck NH's interface. Give me an undo or confirmation button.

I thought I'd try playing online again just now. My first game I owned. Well, I was up 20-12 after the first battle and the other guy then quit:) I never get that lucky. But then in my second game...2 of my first 4 tiles I put down in the wrong spot/orientation! I don't know why it kept happening. I put a shotgunner facing off the board! Ahh! I stuck around and took my beating (well, I only lost 14-10).

I totally agree. Fuck NH's interface. Give me an undo or confirmation button.

I thought I'd try playing online again just now. My first game I owned. Well, I was up 20-12 after the first battle and the other guy then quit:) I never get that lucky. But then in my second game...2 of my first 4 tiles I put down in the wrong spot/orientation! I don't know why it kept happening. I put a shotgunner facing off the board! Ahh! I stuck around and took my beating (well, I only lost 14-10).

The lack of undo is weird, because it exists in the offline mode, so I dunno whats going on there. The app has issues for sure, but I constantly have about 4 games going, and really dont have any issues. The only issue I get, is when its my turn and I load up the app, and it just says my opponent is offline, but this issue is pretty only in games vs Smiley, so im not sure if its the app anymore, or if he leaves before his turn is finished loading or something, haha.

Smiley90

The lack of undo is weird, because it exists in the offline mode, so I dunno whats going on there. The app has issues for sure, but I constantly have about 4 games going, and really dont have any issues. The only issue I get, is when its my turn and I load up the app, and it just says my opponent is offline, but this issue is pretty only in games vs Smiley, so im not sure if its the app anymore, or if he leaves before his turn is finished loading or something, haha.

I don't man, I just got a notice that it was my turn again too and when I opened it it just showed "RaySpencer is offline", no idea what's causing that.

bonesquad

Well, I played another couple NH games and lost fair and square. Badly:) I was just frustrated that one game because I kept having dumb fingers for some reason. The game is much more sensitive than I'd like. I used to play NH a bunch against the AI way back before they added online and just didn't get into it since. Maybe if I get these two new armies it will give me a reason to...

Smiley90

From the general thread, just in case it gets buried:

Uhm... k... I'm in a Neuroshima game with Hereafter and the new armies and have a question

What comes first, the new Vegas's takeover ability or the inactivation-net? So if I put down an inactivation-net in the takeover spot, will my unit get taken over or will his HQ get deactivated before that? I'm not quite sure and don't want to put it down just yet...

Smiley90

I learnt the hard way. The takeover is first.

DAMNIT. Good thing I waited with putting it down then. Is that the official rules or just how the app works? I'm curious... What determines order in that case oO.

Or are you just messing with me because I'm playing against you... :D

Top Bottom