• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air 2 |OT| - Vibrating Sound, Not Magical but Revolutionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radian8

I went from a ipad 4 to the air 2 and the air 2 has much worse battery life that's for sure.

Also, I know it's the in thread title, but I cannot believe that apple release this ipad with the sound rattle. It's so damn bad on mine that I don't watch videos on it anymore, and I used to all the time on my ipad 4.

I went from a ipad 4 to the air 2 and the air 2 has much worse battery life that's for sure.

Also, I know it's the in thread title, but I cannot believe that apple release this ipad with the sound rattle. It's so damn bad on mine that I don't watch videos on it anymore, and I used to all the time on my ipad 4.

It really is absolutely awful. How did those speakers get through testing?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, the rattling is indeed shit. I got used to it pretty quickly though, thankfully. I rarely use headphones with the iPad and I appreciate that they speakers are louder, so there's that.

How is everyone's battery life? Mine is terrible.
Most of the time, I use my iPad passively, so to speak. For instance, when I'm playing something on my PS4, I'm browsing GAF whenever a loading screen comes up, or if there's an unskippable cutscene I already know. So I'm browsing GAF for one to three minutes until the game continues. I don't manually put it into standby mode, it's activated after three minutes or so. Same thing again when the next loading screen or waiting time comes up. I just browse the web; I rarely watch videos and I never listen to music or play 3D games. And yet, after one afternoon of this usage pattern (let's say four to five hours), the battery is dead.

That's not normal, isn't it? I don't think the battery life of my iPad 3 was that bad back then.
That definitely doesn't sound normal to me, I watch a bunch of YouTube videos on my Air 2 and I've been consistently getting above 10 hours of battery and 1 day of standby. Screen brightness is usually on the lower side since I only use it in indoors though.

RevoDS

Most of the time, I use my iPad passively, so to speak. For instance, when I'm playing something on my PS4, I'm browsing GAF whenever a loading screen comes up, or if there's an unskippable cutscene I already know. So I'm browsing GAF for one to three minutes until the game continues. I don't manually put it into standby mode, it's activated after three minutes or so. Same thing again when the next loading screen or waiting time comes up. I just browse the web; I rarely watch videos and I never listen to music or play 3D games. And yet, after one afternoon of this usage pattern (let's say four to five hours), the battery is dead.

That's not normal, isn't it? I don't think the battery life of my iPad 3 was that bad back then.
Doesn't seem normal to me either. I'm admittedly not the biggest user because my usage tends to be spread pretty evenly between my iPhone, iPad and Mac unlike the typical user who does everything on the iPad, but I tend to charge mine every two days or so.

Five hours of intermittent usage web browsing isn't just abnormal, it's ridiculously low. That would be about 30% of what mine is giving me with brightness consistently on the high side.

Get it replaced.

Definitely not. I use mine pretty heavily, and have been all this weekend in particular. I haven't charged it once and I'm at 45% still. Been doing lots of comic reading and my wife streamed a basketball gave from it to the Apple TV last night. I've been really, really happy with this thing's battery life so far.

Any real performance benefit to getting this over an Air?

My main reason for going with the previous model is that I want the most storage for my $.

Radian8

Any real performance benefit to getting this over an Air?

My main reason for going with the previous model is that I want the most storage for my $.
The extra RAM is nice, but seriously test out the speakers on the Air 2 before buying. If I had heard it before buying it I never would have bought it I find it that glaringly terrible.

The extra RAM is nice, but seriously test out the speakers on the Air 2 before buying. If I had heard it before buying it I never would have bought it I find it that glaringly terrible.

Wait what's wrong with them?

*edit* guess I should read the title lol

Ambitious

Definitely not. I use mine pretty heavily, and have been all this weekend in particular. I haven't charged it once and I'm at 45% still. Been doing lots of comic reading and my wife streamed a basketball gave from it to the Apple TV last night. I've been really, really happy with this thing's battery life so far.

This totally sounds like my old iPad 3.
In the meantime, I checked the battery health. I can't remember the exact value, but it was at ~95% of the original capacity.

Also, I did a battery test on my own: I had a 10 hour YouTube video running with max brightness and WiFi on (no sound, though). The 10% battery notification showed up at 4h 40mins. The 5% appeared just 10 minutes after that.
Not sure what to make of this. I better get a replacement just in case.

RevoDS

This totally sounds like my old iPad 3.
In the meantime, I checked the battery health. I can't remember the exact value, but it was at ~95% of the original capacity.

Also, I did a battery test on my own: I had a 10 hour YouTube video running with max brightness and WiFi on (no sound, though). The 10% battery notification showed up at 4h 40mins. The 5% appeared just 10 minutes after that.
Not sure what to make of this. I better get a replacement just in case.
You didn't mention streaming video in your first post; that actually sounds rather normal. Video streaming is a huge battery killer, 5 hours actually isn't that bad. I watched an hourlong TV show yesterday which brought my battery from 70% all the way to 38%, which is in line with your test if not slightly worse.

Can't expect a long battery on any device if you're going to be a heavy YouTube user.

Ambitious

You didn't mention streaming video in your first post; that actually sounds rather normal. Video streaming is a huge battery killer, 5 hours actually isn't that bad. I watched an hourlong TV show yesterday which brought my battery from 70% all the way to 38%, which is in line with your test if not slightly worse.

Can't expect a long battery on any device if you're going to be a heavy YouTube user.

No, I usually don't stream video. Just the intermittent browsing I described.

I figured if the battery is bad enough with just light usage, it must be absolutely terrible with heavy usage, like streaming a video. That's why I tested it.

Derpyduck

Banned
I love my iPad Air 2. The first one I bought had a terrible rattle when sound was played at anything above 3 bars. The new one still shakes a bit, but not nearly as bad. Still a very questionable design decision, but I use Bluetooth headphones most of the time, so it doesn't affect me much. The reason the Air 2 is so great is the extra memory. The browser no longer reloads. I love it.

Pinewood

So what cases are you guys using with you Air 2-s? I feel like I could use something that has a stand functionality to prop it up on a table and maybe give a better grip when holding it. Thinking of going with the Apple Smart Case, but are there better options?

Ambitious

Might have a hardware problem. Once in a while, the speakers make this annoying, loud popping noise. So far it happened three times in about twenty minutes, each time when I tapped on a textfield and the keyboard appeared.

I'm not the only one, people are discussing it on the Apple forums:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3

I was hoping the popping sound would go away at some point (by a software update, most likely), but it still happens.

Today, I finally had a chance to go to an authorized service provider (there are no Apple stores here yet). Fortunately, I was able to demonstrate the issue. It's pretty random. Sometimes, it pops several times within just 30 minutes, sometimes it doesn't pop for weeks. Anyway, the service clerk went to a backroom to talk to a technician. He returned, confirmed the issue and told me to call Apple. Uh. Great. Thanks, mate.

He also ran a quick battery diagnosis. Result: Everything's fine. Well, I don't think my battery is totally broken, but something is definitely off. But it might be a software issue causing the drain. I've reset the iPad, maybe this will help.

Skelter

Banned
So what cases are you guys using with you Air 2-s? I feel like I could use something that has a stand functionality to prop it up on a table and maybe give a better grip when holding it. Thinking of going with the Apple Smart Case, but are there better options?

I really do like the Apple Smart case. Pricey but it's really snug but get it in black if you plan on buying it. Sure the red might look nice but when you scuff it up all over it starts to really bug you...or maybe just me.

Ambitious

Just realized the clerk handed me the AppleCare phone number instead of the normal support line. Why? I don't have AppleCare.

I really do like the Apple Smart case. Pricey but it's really snug but get it in black if you plan on buying it. Sure the red might look nice but when u tol you scuff it up all over.

Same here, although I went with that olive brown color. I don't mind scuffs too much. I like the distressed leather look.

Vyer

i've been using just the smart cover. wanted to keep it as light and compact as possible. cover has been working well, when folded around helps with the grip. when not using it covers the screen, and works as a stand.

Just realized the clerk handed me the AppleCare phone number instead of the normal support line. Why? I don't have AppleCare.

IIRC they are the same number, and you have a year of coverage on a new ipad anyway. if it was an ipad air 2 you should still be covered. don't know if that varies by country though

Ambitious

i've been using just the smart cover. wanted to keep it as light and compact as possible. cover has been working well, when folded around helps with the grip. when not using it covers the screen, and works as a stand.

IIRC they are the same number, and you have a year of coverage on a new ipad anyway. if it was an ipad air 2 you should still be covered. don't know if that varies by country though

Not in my country. I double-checked, the numbers are different.

Anyway, I just called them. A courier will pick up my device. They will either repair it or send me a replacement.
The AppleCare guy unfortunately has never heard of this problem, but he was very curious when I mentioned that there was a big thread in the Apple Support forum. He added a short note about this fact for their engineers.

I hope they will be able to reproduce it. I've opened two tabs in Safari, one with the thread and another with a recording of the pop noise on YouTube. I hope they have look at it.

glow

Banned
Can the smart cover be used to prop the ipad up in portrait mode too? I know it could be done with an ipad 2.

Yes, at the same angle too despite having less folds. It feels much sturdier too.

If anyone here didn't like the old Smart Case for iPads, try the new one for Air 2. They really improved the quality.

Pinewood

Yes, at the same angle too despite having less folds. It feels much sturdier too.

If anyone here didn't like the old Smart Case for iPads, try the new one for Air 2. They really improved the quality.

I mean attach the cover to the bottom of the iPad, whereas it usually goes to the sides.

GWX

My sister received her Air 2 (64GB) today and damn, the vibration is real :lol. It sounds quite nice though, seems like there's more punch/bass to it. Fantastic device all in all, really puts my aging iPad 4 to shame. It even performs smoother than my 5s somehow, and it's an iPad! I really hope Apple will improve the iPad experience system-wise with iOS 9. It's in dire needs of small optimizations and bug-fixing.

Ambitious

Not in my country. I double-checked, the numbers are different.

Anyway, I just called them. A courier will pick up my device. They will either repair it or send me a replacement.
The AppleCare guy unfortunately has never heard of this problem, but he was very curious when I mentioned that there was a big thread in the Apple Support forum. He added a short note about this fact for their engineers.

I hope they will be able to reproduce it. I've opened two tabs in Safari, one with the thread and another with a recording of the pop noise on YouTube. I hope they have look at it.

They weren't able to reproduce it and will send it back to me. Great.

Anybody upgrade from the original Air? Did any retailers offer a trade-in discount?

I know everyone does this with iPhones but want to know if there are similar deals whenever a new iPad model comes out.

Ambitious

They weren't able to reproduce it and will send it back to me. Great.

Just got it back. What now? What options do I have?

Here's a summary of my situation:
  • My iPad Air 2 is making a loud, annoying pop noise from time to time.
  • Usually, it happens when I tap on a textfield and the keyboard appears.
  • It may happen several times within a few minutes, but sometimes it does not happen for days or even weeks.
  • I'm not the only one. There's a big thread in the Apple support forums about this issue. Unclear whether it's caused by software or hardware.
  • Some people got replacements which were fine. However, others got new units which were affected.
  • I was able to demonstrate it at an Apple authorized service provider. They told me to directly contact Apple.
  • After calling Apple and explaining the problem, they picked my device up but have not been able to reproduce the issue. They returned it to me.
  • I don't have AppleCare, but (obviously) the iPad is still under warranty.

Should I call them again? As I mentioned, the problem might still occur with a replacement. But it might also be fine, so I'd like to take my chances. However, if they are unable to reproduce it again, it's just a waste of time.

If it is really a software issue, I could also deal with it for the time being and wait a few months until a fix. My warranty expires in October, so if it's not fixed by then, I could call again and press for a replacement. By the way, people reported that the iOS 8.2 beta does not fix it. Not sure about 8.3.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My parents have been enjoying the iPad Air 2 they got for a great deal on Christmas. I'm thinking about getting an iPad Air 2 to replace my Retina iPad 1st Gen, yes that one, but man that vibrating sound is real. Wonder if it will be fixed for the 3rd one or if they are going to somehow gimp the sound to resolve it.

kharma45

Is there an iPad mini thread? I'm tempted to get a 128gb mini 2 cell version for $378... Are the minis worth it or so I get an air?

I was torn between the Mini 2 and the Air 2. Opted for the mini since I travel a lot, and the vibrations from the speaker on the Air 2 I couldn't stand. Very pleased with it. It'd be perfect if it had 2GB of RAM. That's my only issue.

Magnus

I've just about had it with the slow performance of my iPad 3 ('the new iPad'). I'm movin' on up. I don't know to what; an iPad Air 2 or an iPad Mini 2 (the 3 doesn't seem worth the price premium just for Touch ID).

Leaning toward an Air 2.

Pretty huge and perceptible power increase, right? I handled one at Best Buy today and fell in love with how slick it was. And so light and thin to boot.

GWX

I've just about had it with the slow performance of my iPad 3 ('the new iPad'). I'm movin' on up. I don't know to what; an iPad Air 2 or an iPad Mini 2 (the 3 doesn't seem worth the price premium just for Touch ID).

Leaning toward an Air 2.

Pretty huge and perceptible power increase, right? I handled one at Best Buy today and fell in love with how slick it was. And so light and thin to boot.

I'd go Air 2. It's blazing fast, 2GB of RAM makes a big difference, and you retain the 9.7" screen size.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'd go Air 2. It's blazing fast, 2GB of RAM makes a big difference, and you retain the 9.7" screen size.

I still get tons of app crashes and tab closings on my Air 2. I honestly don't think much improved from my 3 to my Air 2.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I still can't stand the speaker being at the bottom. I can't rest my iPad on my belly and it pisses me off to always hold up the device.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I still can't stand the speaker being at the bottom. I can't rest my iPad on my belly and it pisses me off to always hold up the device.
Why don't you just rotate the screen upside down so the speaker stays on the top? That's what I do when I use it vertically on my belly with audio playing, I can't remember the last app that wouldn't rotate.

GWX

I still get tons of app crashes and tab closings on my Air 2. I honestly don't think much improved from my 3 to my Air 2.

Well, going from my 4th gen to my sister's Air 2 I notice tons of improvements performance-wise. Also, Safari has been quite fucked on my 4th gen since 8.2 (the favorites which appear after tapping the address bar take 1 minute to load sometimes, rendering the app useless), and yet it runs perfectly on the Air 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom