• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air 2 |OT| - Vibrating Sound, Not Magical but Revolutionary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the cover only. Back when I first bought the ipad I picked up this case from Amazon. I was planning on using it with a smart cover since it's compatible, but so far I've been fine with just the cover.

Are the front edges raised on that cover so if you drop it face down the screen is protected?

Laekon

The ArsTechnica reviewer stated that their test units didn't have the vibration issue. Has anyone used one like this? All the display units I've tried vibrate at almost any volume.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The ArsTechnica reviewer stated that their test units didn't have the vibration issue. Has anyone used one like this? All the display units I've tried vibrate at almost any volume.

The vibration is noticeable going from an Ipad 3, to an Air 2. But I compared it to my friend's Air 1, and honestly, it is about at the same level. Maybe a slight bit more pronounced.

But it's not like you can use the corner of the thing as a magic bullet...

Ambitious

img_0978cfqga.jpg

My smart cover is a bit bent. That's annoying. Let's see if I can straighten this..

Yeah, my cover bends the same way (Air 2), but I don't really mind.

I'm really impressed with my iPad so far. I had a first-generation Nexus 7 before, which was pretty good, but this is a step up for sure. iOS has also definitely improved a lot since I've last used it (2nd gen iPod touch).

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So I had been opting to purchase an iPad Mini 2 or 3 for my mum to use and I would now and then. She doesn't really use her iMac anymore so for awhile she's stuck with the iPhone 4 but she's a little fed up with the size and how much it's slowing down lately.

We recently got a callback on a Microwave and the shop is giving us a £120/$190 voucher to use in the shop. I was intending to get the iPad Mini 2 or possibly the Mini 3 but I don't mind putting in some extra cash for the Air 2.

It would mostly be used for web browsing, emails and Skype. She also takes 100's of photos so I thought getting the better camera would be a bonus plus it has the option of the slow motion setting at 240fps while the others don't.

I don't think she would bother too much about the slow motion but I've always wanted a camera which could do this. This would be our first iPad and will probably have it for a good few years.

So basically Air 2 or a Mini 2/3?

-Horizon-

So I had been opting to purchase an iPad Mini 2 or 3 for my mum to use and I would now and then. She doesn't really use her iMac anymore so for awhile she's stuck with the iPhone 4 but she's a little fed up with the size and how much it's slowing down lately.

We recently got a callback on a Microwave and the shop is giving us a £120/$190 voucher to use in the shop. I was intending to get the iPad Mini 2 or possibly the Mini 3 but I don't mind putting in some extra cash for the Air 2.

It would mostly be used for web browsing, emails and Skype. She also takes 100's of photos so I thought getting the better camera would be a bonus plus it has the option of the slow motion setting at 240fps while the others don't.

I don't think she would bother too much about the slow motion but I've always wanted a camera which could do this. This would be our first iPad and will probably have it for a good few years.

Sounds like the Air 2 would be your best bet. Especially if you want to keep around for a couple of years after. And 2GB ram!

img_0978cfqga.jpg

My smart cover is a bit bent. That's annoying. Let's see if I can straighten this..

Bent? Mine looks exactly the same.
The magnets are just in the 3rd section, right? So the mid section isn't pulled down the same way.
Mine is the same too.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty confident this wasn't the case with my old iPad 3.
It isn't the same cover.

In comparison to the iPad 3 Smart Cover I don't like it as it doesn't stay together most of the time when its folded. The magnet feels much weaker.

Get her the Air 2. Your mom is going to hate the < 100% SRGB values in the iPad Mini 2.

So we're going to be switching a ton of retail store's registers to iPads at my job soon. Considering getting the Air 2 so I can familiarize myself with the iPad version of iOS since we'll have to provide support for those stores too. I already have a 5s though.

Someone want to talk me out of it, or should I go ahead and do it?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So we're going to be switching a ton of retail store's registers to iPads at my job soon. Considering getting the Air 2 so I can familiarize myself with the iPad version of iOS since we'll have to provide support for those stores too. I already have a 5s though.

Someone want to talk me out of it, or should I go ahead and do it?

Get an iPad if you want an iPad, not because your shop will be using them. That's mad. You'll get used to how it works in about 30 seconds.

Unless you can bill the cost to the company, in which case go for it.

How does the 2gb ram help outside games? Does it crash from browsers less often?

I wanna purchase one but only if the 2gb ram makes a difference.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Silly question, but is there any way to permanently turn off the "Cellular Data Plan: You have not signed up for a data plan, would you like to set up a new account?" message? It is really annoying me. My wifi is good enough for 99% of occasions. I only ever intend to use that feature if I take my iPad away with me on trips....

SiDCrAzY

How does the 2gb ram help outside games? Does it crash from browsers less often?

I don't have a lot of experience with other iPads, I had a iPad 3rd gen, but I honestly didn't use it much. My browser(safari) has not crashed so far and I've had over 10 tabs open at a time. I would say yes it does make a difference, how could it not.

This gives you a good idea of how much the update helps out: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/XCOM:+Enemy+Unknown/feature.asp?c=62188

Meh3D

icon175x175.png

Replay Video Editor by Stupeflix
https://appsto.re/us/ZSbyP.i

Bought the full Replay video app for iPad Air 2 and I'm quite happy with this app. (Was featured on the key note.) Overall it's great for making cool montage videos very quickly. It's easy to use with some cool customization features.

Be warned. The output quality is stuck at 480P with no option to change this.

I think it's fantastic but the output quality needs work. The app really needs options for video output quality. At least a 720P option. Because 480P doesn't look good even on my iPhone 5. Especially with most devices out there being equipped with greater than 480P screens.

...snip...
It would mostly be used for web browsing, emails and Skype. She also takes 100's of photos so I thought getting the better camera would be a bonus plus it has the option of the slow motion setting at 240fps while the others don't....

I highly recommend your mother takes one for a test drive at a store. In particular, have her take photos with the iPad. I argue the iPad Air 2 camera has its uses but they're limited. You'll know it when you have to actually take pictures with an iPad Air 2 in your hands. One thing to keep in mind is the iPad Air 2 because of its size doesn't function as a good quick point and shoot like an iPhone 4 or other mobile phone would.

Personally for me I rather take spot photos with my iPhone 5 and beam them (I miss iPhoto) to the iPad for storage. I also have a much better semi pro camera that I use in conjunction with the iPad when I'm out taking photographs as a hobby. Only I use the camera adapter to transfer all the photos and then clear the sd card afterward. I'm also prefer to review them on the iPad Air. I own the 128GB iPad Air now.

epmode

I find that I have to sign in to certain apps far less often. They retain my progress for far longer than my iPad 3 ever did. It's also nice that Safari tabs almost never reload themselves.

HylianTom

Banned
Silly question, but is there any way to permanently turn off the "Cellular Data Plan: You have not signed up for a data plan, would you like to set up a new account?" message? It is really annoying me. My wifi is good enough for 99% of occasions. I only ever intend to use that feature if I take my iPad away with me on trips....
I couldn't find anything. It was bugging me too.

My final fix? I started for a T-Mobile account, which gives 200MB of data each month for free. Then, I went back into the general settings and turned off my cellular data. That ended all messages. And the 200MB has been pretty handy for occasional Twitter checks.

Further thoughts..

First, I love the new screen. The lack of an air gap between the glass surface and the screen itself makes a nice difference, as though I'm actually touching the content. My Zelda wallpaper looks incredible..

Lock screen:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/HylianTom/4e6bcad156487564422dc3bf42ec6616.jpg

Desktop wallpaper:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/HylianTom/447737ebb49095a9f9203e889c1badc6.jpg

Next, I've had Safari refresh on me fewer than five times since starting. (For reference: I usually browse for about 6 hours a day at work, 5 days a week, usually with 5 tabs open at any given time.) It's fantastic not holding my breath every time I jump between tabs with partially filled-out fields.

And finally: I've never had such an organized/labeled music/movies/TV file system. Feels damn good.

NYR

I bought an iPad Air 2 and there seems to be aspect of dust or paint chip under the glass that stands out on the white iPad. It is right on the edge of the screen.

Is this normal? Should I return/exchange it?

Inotti

I bought an iPad Air 2 and there seems to be aspect of dust or paint chip under the glass that stands out on the white iPad. It is right on the edge of the screen.

Is this normal? Should I return/exchange it?

I would exchange it. After all Air 2 is not a cheap device and for that price I would definetly expect premium quality.

muu

Is that Target offer supposed to be online as well? Great offer but I'm still not heading to B&M stores for a "sale" wading through a bunch of people.

MrDenny

How soon did you get the Gift Card that came with the iPad? I hope you get it immediately because I want to use the Gift Card on other things.
I believe its the same day, not sure if it was immediate though. I used the gift card to buy groupon gift card to get the ps plus deal and that was the evening of Black Friday.

Ambitious

Might have a hardware problem. Once in a while, the speakers make this annoying, loud popping noise. So far it happened three times in about twenty minutes, each time when I tapped on a textfield and the keyboard appeared.

I'm not the only one, people are discussing it on the Apple forums:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3

Someone suggested to turn the volume all the way down and then up again. I did so, and the issue seemed to be gone for over a week. But on the weekend, when I opened Spotlight, it popped again.

Well, shit. I'm reluctant to go through the trouble of getting a replacement as of this time. Many people report of issue-free replacements, but lots of others have the same problem. So I'd rather wait for the cause to be determined. I doubt it, but maybe it is just a software issue.
And if it's hardware, I'd have to wait anyway until they fix the problem in the manufacturing process.

Dead

well not really...yet
Got a Gold 64GB

The vibration thing somehow turned out not to be as big a deal as I expected

I wonder if the demo unit I tried in store was just a really extreme case.

Other than that. Perfect tablet.

epmode

Might have a hardware problem. Once in a while, the speakers make this annoying, loud popping noise. So far it happened three times in about twenty minutes, each time when I tapped on a textfield and the keyboard appeared.

I'm not the only one, people are discussing it on the Apple forums:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3

I've heard this on my own Air 2. It's not frequent but it happens from time to time.

number11

I have a bunch of photos in my camera uploads folder in Dropbox, what's the best way of saving all those photos in my camera roll?

I have a bunch of photos in my camera uploads folder in Dropbox, what's the best way of saving all those photos in my camera roll?

I've never got used to it. I always have to save them individually rather than downloading the entire folder. It sucks but yeah unless I'm doing something wrong.

it is annoying to hold this while playing music or a game of some kind. or watching videos as I do frequently. Hmmmmm, I am guessing its a design issue because of the thin profile. Are there units w/o vibration, some people seem to claim there are.

it is annoying to hold this while playing music or a game of some kind. or watching videos as I do frequently. Hmmmmm, I am guessing its a design issue because of the thin profile. Are there units w/o vibration, some people seem to claim there are.

I don't think so. I think it's just personal preference to those people who seem to mind or not with that vibration. I do have to agree with you though, kinda annoying and in fact, my fingers act like they go numb after a little while with music out.

I don't think so. I think it's just personal preference to those people who seem to mind or not with that vibration. I do have to agree with you though, kinda annoying and in fact, my fingers act like they go numb after a little while with music out.

yea, this happens to me too, though maybe a better case would solve the issue, I have a the thin leather apple one right now.

Pinewood

Have a hard time deciding between 4g and wifi. Internet everywhere and GPS seem really nice, but it also 130 more expensive. And I can always tether it to my phone, but it wouldn't be as convenient. And I could also get more memory for the same price.

What do people here use to protect their iPads?

-Horizon-

Have a hard time deciding between 4g and wifi. Internet everywhere and GPS seem really nice, but it also 130 more expensive. And I can always tether it to my phone, but it wouldn't be as convenient. And I could also get more memory for the same price.

I say just go with the wifi. Its a bigger pain (at least to me) when you don't have enough storage to put apps on the thing and you have to start deleting stuff.

And I just use the smart cover apple sells.

Once you go LTE on the iPad you don't go back, I travel a lot and I don't like having to rely on shitty wifi or killing my iPhone battery trying to teather it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom