• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air 2 |OT| - Vibrating Sound, Not Magical but Revolutionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarquiss_

Recently purchased 2 of the second generation iPad Airs and one of them keeps getting warm to the touch on the top right hand side while suring the web. I swapped it and the replacement does the same but the second iPad I had purchased doesn't get warm at all.

Is this normal?

Dead

well not really...yet
For those of you who use Styluses with your iPad, you need to check out the Pencil by 53. Got it a few days ago and it's the best Ive ever used.

It works amazingly well, it just glides over the screen, nearly no pressure needed to actually communicate with the ipad. And the way it pairs with the Paper app is really impressive. Eraser on the rear, thick lines with the side of the pencil, smudge with your finger, absolutely perfect palm rejection...

Even compared to the Intuos Stylus 2 with the really really fine nib, the Pencis is far more accurate.

VA6whBj.jpg

How do I have access to an iPad if it's Password Locked and iCloud locked?

Some guy on Craigslist is selling his iPad cheap, but it's Password and iCloud locked.

tauke

For those of you who use Styluses with your iPad, you need to check out the Pencil by 53. Got it a few days ago and it's the best Ive ever used.

It works amazingly well, it just glides over the screen, nearly no pressure needed to actually communicate with the ipad. And the way it pairs with the Paper app is really impressive. Eraser on the rear, thick lines with the side of the pencil, smudge with your finger, absolutely perfect palm rejection...

Even compared to the Intuos Stylus 2 with the really really fine nib, the Pencis is far more accurate.

VA6whBj.jpg

Damn I have Adonit Jot Stylus and wish it glide more smoothly on my iPad 4. One of my pet peeves for stylus is that we can't really try it as not many stores actually have demo unit.

Will consider Pencil in the future when I plan to buy a Bluetooth stylus.

Is this iPad worth getting coming from an Air 1? I was going to get an 64 GB Gold Air 2 and give my mother the Air 1 (she has an iPad 2 that has a crack in it and would love the upgrade if I gave her my Air).

Pinewood

So does anyone know if I tether my Android phone to an iPad via bluetooth, will it also relay the GPS signal?
E: Seems like it cant. Oh well.

Choosing the right model is so hard. I mean I will get at least 64 GB, so thats 600.
But I could use cellular (although the contract prices have hiked here), so thats 730.
But for 700 I could get the 128 GB Wifi model(most likely an overkill).

Aah, decisions. I waiting for the Christmas sales here, maybe they will offer some trinkets along with the iPad.

So does anyone know if I tether my Android phone to an iPad via bluetooth, will it also relay the GPS signal?
E: Seems like it cant. Oh well.

Choosing the right model is so hard. I mean I will get at least 64 GB, so thats 600.
But I could use cellular (although the contract prices have hiked here), so thats 730.
But for 700 I could get the 128 GB Wifi model(most likely an overkill).

Aah, decisions. I waiting for the Christmas sales here, maybe they will offer some trinkets along with the iPad.

Target is offering a 140$ with iPad Air 2s this BF

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So, really stupid question, but I'm having real trouble figuring out how to transfer a file on my iPad to PC. I know it uses iTunes, but iTunes has recently changed and all the documentation I can find refers to the outdated version with options that don't exist. Coming from Android, I'm finding it way harder than it should be.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

VA6whBj.jpg

I just wish Apple stoped dicking around and implemented a proper digitizer into the iPad.

IISANDERII

GAF Halp!!

I just bought this as a gift for somebody, rush back from lunch and now look at the box and nowhere does it say "2" on it. The receipt does say 2.

How can I tell if I've got an Air 2 without opening the box?

IJoel

GAF Halp!!

I just bought this as a gift for somebody, rush back from lunch and now look at the box and nowhere does it say "2" on it. The receipt does say 2.

Check the model number on the back of the box. Should be:
A1566 on the iPad Air 2
A1567 on the iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular

BFIB

GAF Halp!!

On the back, under the size, it should have a description of whats in the box. Does it say "iPad Air 2" or something to that effect?

IISANDERII

Check the model number on the back of the box. Should be:
A1566 on the iPad Air 2
A1567 on the iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular
it says MGL12CL/A iPad Air wifi 16GB Space Grey.

edit: Oh further down it says 1566

On the back, under the size, it should have a description of whats in the box. Does it say "iPad Air 2" or something to that effect?
Phew, crisis averted!

Thanks for your helps bros

Derpyduck

Banned
Picked up a new iPad Air 2 today for 100 bucks off. I like how it doesn't feel hollow anymore like the original, but the vibration it makes at even low volumes is crazy annoying. I might return it and just get a mini 2 for 199 from Best Buy.

Something that just happened that others might want to look into is I was playing a game of Wordament and there was an ad at the bottom of the screen that said to click it to instantly get 5 dollars in iTunes credit. I clicked it, and it worked. The ad is for Verizon about something called Connection Day. I then saw a similar ad on Amazon.com. So if you want an easy 5 bucks in credit, it's not hard to find.

Picked up a new iPad Air 2 today for 100 bucks off. I like how it doesn't feel hollow anymore like the original, but the vibration it makes at even low volumes is crazy annoying. I might return it and just get a mini 2 for 199 from Best Buy.

Something that just happened that others might want to look into is I was playing a game of Wordament and there was an ad at the bottom of the screen that said to click it to instantly get 5 dollars in iTunes credit. I clicked it, and it worked. The ad is for Verizon about something called Connection Day. I then saw a similar ad on Amazon.com. So if you want an easy 5 bucks in credit, it's not hard to find.

How did you get $100 off? Has the sale started?

cjp

Any thoughts on this whole TLC vs MLC?

Apparently this person on MacRumors timed transfer times between the iPad Air which is using MLC and the iPad Air 2 which is using TLC, and the Air came out on top.

After i got the iPad Air 2 i was very happy with my new device. Its the 128GB with sim card. I still own my iPad Air 1 so i started to make some experiments.
After i saw that the iPhone 6 Plus with 128Gb use inferior TLC nand i told myself check your new pad and i was shocked to see its also TLC. At first i told myself its sure not a big diffrence. So i took a video file that is 1700MB big and installed it via itunes. The iPad Air one transfered the file in 47 Seconds. The iPad Air 2 use 58 Seconds. Than i used a file that is 450MB big. This one took one the Air 14 seconds. On the Air 2 18 Seconds. So without any doubt the used nand is slower. Im very very disapointet by Apple. And the most ridiculous thing is that the ones that have buyed the 16gb version of the iPad Air 2 got the better MLC nand. We that payed a premium price are the loosers. And the best is Apple is planning to put in future I pads the better MLC again. We the early buyers are the loosers. Since the iPhone 3GS I bought every apple product. I'm guessing it's time to quit.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1823679

Charlatan

Neo Member
Any thoughts on this whole TLC vs MLC?

Apparently this person on MacRumors timed transfer times between the iPad Air which is using MLC and the iPad Air 2 which is using TLC, and the Air came out on top.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1823679

If a person wants to base a buying decision on the fact that a 1.7 GB file transferred 12 seconds slower, I say go for it. Because it's obvious that the CPU doesn't matter, nor the screen, nor the internal RAM - it's all about the transfer speed...

That's the distilled essence of the internet right there - someone extremely salty over a feature that's not terribly important - to the point where they get all extreme about it.

In other words: I didn't believe it was worth spending a second worrying about it when I got my iPad Air 2.

cjp

If a person wants to base a buying decision on the fact that a 1.7 GB file transferred 12 seconds slower, I say go for it. Because it's obvious that the CPU doesn't matter, nor the screen, nor the internal RAM - it's all about the transfer speed...

That's the distilled essence of the internet right there - someone extremely salty over a feature that's not terribly important - to the point where they get all extreme about it.

In other words: I didn't believe it was worth spending a second worrying about it when I got my iPad Air 2.

But wouldn't you expect a newer iteration of a product to be faster in every regard? After all it's not just transfer speed, it's general read and write speeds. Doesn't TLC have a shorter lifespan than MLC too?

And wasn't there a news story recently about Apple switching back to MLC from TLC in the new iPhones because it was causing problems?

kharma45

But wouldn't you expect a newer iteration of a product to be faster in every regard? After all it's not just transfer speed, it's general read and write speeds. Doesn't TLC have a shorter lifespan than MLC too?

And wasn't there a news story recently about Apple switching back to MLC from TLC in the new iPhones because it was causing problems?

TLC does have a lesser lifespan but it's not an issue. Samsung uses it in their cheaper SSDs and they've been stressed to hell and back by the likes of The Tech Report.

Apparently, that story was false.

Also, even if it's slower, it's all about having balanced system. With more RAM, SSD speeds being slightly slower shouldn't impact performance.

Vyer

I don't know why people read Macrumors' batshit insane forums. That can't be good for your mental health.

VA6whBj.jpg

How is it for note taking? I'm looking at a lot of stylus reviews and none of them really stand out as being great

Owzers

After returning a couple galaxy tab s 10.5 tablets due to poor build quality and one with a screen problem I decided to go with ipad air 2 instead with the recent $100 off best buy sale.

Apart from the screen having a pinkish tint to it ( my ipad 3 had half the screen with a blue tint and the other half slightly yellow, so i'm not sure if this is a deal breaker even though it bugs me), after playing The Banner Saga for ten minutes i can still feel a tingling sensation in hand from holding the tablet.

Those vibrations, those good vibrations. How did Apple think this was acceptable? Because $$$$? If i exchange it, it will be because of the tint, but i'm leaning towards returning it and waiting for another tablet that doesn't make me feel like i have static shock.

SharkJAW

VA6whBj.jpg
I currently own a Jot Script and was thinking about trying another stylus. For note-taking, would you also prefer the pencil over the intuos 2? I liked the fine point for the "pen feel" you get when writing with the Jot Script.

Ugh, I wish Apple implemented their own stylus/digitizer. It would probably be fantastic.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Got the Air 2 to replace my iPad 3. I love the lightness and smaller bezel, and to be able to use Handoff, Airdrop and Continuity features on it along with my 5S and Macbook Air (which is the main reason that pushed me to upgrade). The increased speed is also appreciated (although I honestly never had real qualms with the 3's speed. But hey, the faster the better). I'm glad the iPad got this light, I appreciate the Mini's compact form but I'd never get one because comic books, and I do prefer the bigger screen for most of my uses.

On the vibration thing, yeah, it is kind of ridiculous. It isn't "vibrating" per se, as other have said it's more that you can "feel the sound". If the thing was actually shaking in my hands I don't think I'd be able to deal with it, but after using it for a while with my normal usage I think I'll be alright. Haven't played any games that require me to have the finger on the screen for too long on it yet while using the speakers, so I'll see how that goes later (most of my iOS play time is when I'm outside on the iPhone).

It's definitely not something that would make me get an Air 1 instead though. With the RAM difference and possible future touch ID features I wouldn't want to put myself in the same situation that I did with the 3 and 4.

DOWN

Banned
This thing is so stunning without a case. I'm So desperately wishing that I could be a daredevil and use it without one. I have Apple Care for this and iPhone 6 and love them without cases but I'm so afraid of dropping them or even little scratches on the metal. I've never broken a phone or dropped any of my tech, but that's probably in part because I'm so worried about doing it.

It's so damn thin and light without a case.

This thing is so stunning without a case. I'm So desperately wishing that I could be a daredevil and use it without one. I have Apple Care for this and iPhone 6 and love them without cases but I'm so afraid of dropping them or even little scratches on the metal. I've never broken a phone or dropped any of my tech, but that's probably in part because I'm so worried about doing it.

It's so damn thin and light without a case.
I only take it out when I'm home. Same goes for my phone.

Jubern

I just got an iPad Air 2... For my inlaws's christmas. I've been considering buying one for myself for a long time so, since I also have to set it up for them and everything, I'm trying apps here and there.

Question: Is there a good app than can let you everything you have on a media server? I tried VLC Streamer but the first movie I tried somehow became a 19 seconds-long clip...

I just got an iPad Air 2... For my inlaws's christmas. I've been considering buying one for myself for a long time so, since I also have to set it up for them and everything, I'm trying apps here and there.

Question: Is there a good app than can let you everything you have on a media server? I tried VLC Streamer but the first movie I tried somehow became a 19 seconds-long clip...

Infuse 2

Jubern

Thanks! I tried it and it seems to be what I'm looking for : a simple DNLA solution.

Except it's giving me errors with about every file I give it... I've been using PS3 Media Server for the longest time to stream videos, anything else I could try?

Thanks! I tried it and it seems to be what I'm looking for : a simple DNLA solution.

Except it's giving me errors with about every file I give it... I've been using PS3 Media Server for the longest time to stream videos, anything else I could try?

The only other player I use is AVPlayerHD - never tried anything it couldn't play, but I usually play stuff right off my iPad.

cjp

Picked up this case today after getting an Air 2 for Christmas. Without doubt the nicest case I've ever used for any device. Definitely recommended if anyone else is looking.

Carlisle

Might have a hardware problem. Once in a while, the speakers make this annoying, loud popping noise. So far it happened three times in about twenty minutes, each time when I tapped on a textfield and the keyboard appeared.

I'm not the only one, people are discussing it on the Apple forums:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3

I've had mine for a week and it was issue free until this morning when it popped on me twice. I took to google and found quite a few similar reports. Following them, I've been able to recreate it by opening the software keyboard, messing with the Music EQ, and starting and stopping Dictation. It's sporadic, though. I have to open and close the keyboard a few times before it'll do it, then it won't do it again for a while. So I wouldn't say it's hindering, but it's annoying and it's loud as fuck and unexpected so it gives me a start every time.

I think I'll wait and see if Apple addresses this. Could be a software issue (It didn't happen until I did a factory restart on my Air 2 this morning to do a fresh migration from my old iPad), but it seems like hardware. I've read several people getting theirs replaced only to have the issue be present in the replacements. So I'll hold out until there's a definitive solution before wasting trips back and forth to an Apple store.

Maybe I'll try another factory restart and see how that goes...

EDIT:
Restore didn't help. Also, wandered into an Apple store today and opened up the software keyboard on a display unit and it popped there too.

cjp

Here's a weird one.

I received an iPad Air 2 for Christmas.

About... 7/10 times I take it upstairs I lose internet connection.

I'll be downstairs, lock it/close the cover, take it upstairs, put it on the side, go do something else/get ready for bed and then come back to it a little later.

I'll open it up again and the Internet will be "disconnected". I'm still actually connected to the Airport Time Capsule. Signal strength always stays at least two bars, it doesn't disconnect and lose the actual Wi-Fi network - but any connectivity with the Internet is dead. Opening up AirPort Utility shows the Internet as "disconnected" and yellow with AirPort Time Capsule as yellow too.

No matter what I do AirPort Utility stays yellow and Internet connectivity stays dead until I switch Wi-Fi on the iPad on and off again or I manually disconnect and then reconnect to the access point.

It's important to note that no other devices lose connection to the either the Wi-Fi network or the actual Internet when this happens. iPhone stays connected and so does my MacBook.

So what is going on? I have done a complete restore and set up from new to see if that fixes it but it didn't. I guess a hardware issue might be possible but I'm not sure.

It can't be a range or signal issue because it stays connected to the actual AirPort at all times and it doesn't happen to any other device (that I've seen so far, I'll do some more testing) in the house.

If I quickly turn Wi-Fi off and on again on the iPad then it reconnects and everything goes green and works perfectly.

So what is it? Have I run across some edge case issue or bug with 5 GHz, 802.11ac and Beamforming or some other random combination? I need to actually test and see if this happens with 2.4GHz but it would be really annoying to lose ac and the speed benefits.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Pinewood

Anyone here use a felt sleeve with their iPad? I'm inclined to buy one, but Im worried it might scratch the back finish.

Ambitious

How is everyone's battery life? Mine is terrible.
Most of the time, I use my iPad passively, so to speak. For instance, when I'm playing something on my PS4, I'm browsing GAF whenever a loading screen comes up, or if there's an unskippable cutscene I already know. So I'm browsing GAF for one to three minutes until the game continues. I don't manually put it into standby mode, it's activated after three minutes or so. Same thing again when the next loading screen or waiting time comes up. I just browse the web; I rarely watch videos and I never listen to music or play 3D games. And yet, after one afternoon of this usage pattern (let's say four to five hours), the battery is dead.

That's not normal, isn't it? I don't think the battery life of my iPad 3 was that bad back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom