• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

kazinova

Went with the X-doria Defense Lux, I like the metal band and accented anodized clasps.It works well for an engineer. A little bulky on the 7 Plus.

So guys what kind of caseS do you have for your iphone 7s?

I just ordered mine today.

Got mine delivered today, I used to use an Apple leather case and generic third party screen cover on my 6s but for the 7 I'm trying a tempered glass screen protector and a Supcase Unicorn Beetle Hybrid cover. It's not really a fair comparison but this is a bit slippy compared to the leather one, but nice and an awful lot cheaper. If it doesn't work out then it didnt break the bank, and I'll probably pick up a leather, maybe Apple, cover or maybe a folio style. It depends on what Gaf recommends.

Red

I use the black apple leather case. It's nice. Nicer than I expected. A great, slim fit, and wonderful in the hand.

Linius

Really loving that leather case from Apple. Might not be the cheapest option available but it looks nice and it's quality stuff. Worth the 55 euros.

Laws00

Thank you for the advice guys. My co worker got an iphone 7. He had a 5 and has used otterbox for his 7 and 5 iphone.

i will look at all these cases guys
Got mine delivered today, I used to use an Apple leather case and generic third party screen cover on my 6s but for the 7 I'm trying a tempered glass screen protector and a Supcase Unicorn Beetle Hybrid cover. It's not really a fair comparison but this is a bit slippy compared to the leather one, but nice and an awful lot cheaper. If it doesn't work out then it didnt break the bank, and I'll probably pick up a leather, maybe Apple, cover or maybe a folio style. It depends on what Gaf recommends.

I got a orange carbon fiber skin on it with a Spigen ultra thin clear case. It's gaudy and I love it.

I have a Nodus black leather magnetic case. Useful for putting my phone up on the dashboard in the car. It's essentially the same as the apple leather case otherwise.

Also have a jet black peel case which is pretty cool.

Flandy

Gonna upgrade to an iPhone 7 soon. What am I better off with for headphone usage? Bluetooth or the adapter? 90% of my usage is podcasts outside of the home so if I get bluetooth I'm only looking to spend around $30.

Is Bluetooth generally seamless or will there be issues? (having to resync often, etc)

Flandy

Bluetooth is pretty solid with the iPhone but also depends on the headphones.

The built in speakers might actually be okay for podcasts. The speakers are fairly loud. I use Jaybirds which are pricier than your budget but I've heard good things from the picks from The Wirecutter: http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-bluetooth-earbuds/

Looking at these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G8JO5F2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Reviews seem to be really good

ZOONAMI

I have had a tozo case which is essentially the same exact thing as a peel (there's a YouTube video on it) but I found to to be so thin it virtually couldn't be offering any real drop protection. I also didn't like that it had no screen lip.

Now have the official apple leather case and I love it, and even had a fairly significant drop onto my tile floor in the bathroom (set phone on top of towel and towel bar for a sec which was stupid) and the phone took no damage and neither did the case.

Eklesp

Now have the official apple leather case and I love it, and even had a fairly significant drop onto my tile floor in the bathroom (set phone on top of towel and towel bar for a sec which was stupid) and the phone took no damage and neither did the case.

Love them, feel so good.

McBryBry

Is iCloud supposed to delete all your shit? My grandma got an iPhone 7 and put her contacts in. I turned on iCloud today. When I get home from work, she says everything was fine then all of her contacts disappeared. I checked icloud.com, nothing there. All of them were completely gone. My girlfriend, who's always had iPhones, said that of course its going to, you're supposed to turn it on first.

Last I checked, a cloud service isn't supposed to delete all of your shit.

Vyer

Is iCloud supposed to delete all your shit? My grandma got an iPhone 7 and put her contacts in. I turned on iCloud today. When I get home from work, she says everything was fine then all of her contacts disappeared. I checked icloud.com, nothing there. All of them were completely gone. My girlfriend, who's always had iPhones, said that of course its going to, you're supposed to turn it on first.

Your 'turned on' iCloud? How exactly? This was after she put her contacts in?

I've had my contacts carry over for pretty much every iPhone since icloud syncing has been available.

Log into iCloud.com with her account, go to settings, and down at the bottom is "restore contacts". See if it lets you do that

Hitta93

Banned
Is it possible to find a 5/5S, or even maybe an 6 in the 100-150 price range?

Would rather get an iPhone as my backup than another Android.

Pinewood

Im such an idiot. Bought a glass protector for my 7 and applied it perfectly, then for some reason on corner got a bubble type of thing after 2 weeks, then tried to fix it , made it worse, tried it again, even worse. Now I got this ugly air pocket in my upper right corner. If I press it, it goes away but returns instantly.

Vyer

Is it possible to find a 5/5S, or even maybe an 6 in the 100-150 price range?

Would rather get an iPhone as my backup than another Android.

5S are generally 150-200 on eBay or like as a prepaid go phone. Prob have better luck finding a used 5 if you want to stay under 150

Im such an idiot. Bought a glass protector for my 7 and applied it perfectly, then for some reason on corner got a bubble type of thing after 2 weeks, then tried to fix it , made it worse, tried it again, even worse. Now I got this ugly air pocket in my upper right corner. If I press it, it goes away but returns instantly.

You try spraying water as you apply it? Then use a credit card or whatever to squeegee it out?

Day 3 with this phone after 5 years on Android.

There are alot of things that I feel it does much better than Android -

-Better in-app experience - Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, etc all run leagues better here
-Speedy no matter what situation
-Battery life is pretty great
-iMessage is hands-down the best messaging experience in the business

All of which can be considered the essentials for a what you want your phone to do. However, alot of things still bug the crap out of me and will probably lead me to switching to a Note 8 later this year unless the iPhone 8 is incredible.

-Not being able to choose default apps - why can't Yelp open an address in Google Maps?
-Having to go to the settings menu to change the wallpaper instead of being able to hard press an image and do so
-Notifications are horrid here
-Standard lack of customization, but I bought the phone knowing I would run into this problem. Having app icons populate from the most inaccessible part of the screen makes zero sense, despite having the thumb doubletap option.
-The screen is fine, but for this money I find it a bit ludicrous that it isn't QHD.

The lack of a headphone jack hasn't been a big deal so far - the dongle sucks but it works I guess and the Soundbot360 suggestion earlier this thread was a lifesaver. Overall, I like the phone despite my gripes with it; I just feel like there are alot of things that can be improved that should be quite easy to implement.

jts

...hate me...
Good impressions.

Small note:
-Having to go to the settings menu to change the wallpaper instead of being able to hard press an image and do so
You can change the wallpaper starting from a picture, providing you're in the photos app. If you mean you can't do it from a picture in the browser, then yes it's true. You need to save the picture to the phone first.

From there you go into the share menu (bottom left icon when viewing a single photo, or in gallery view 3D touch a thumbnail and slide up to see the "share" icon), and one of the activities that can be found in the black and white row beneath the app row, is to "set as wallpaper". Btw the last option of that row is "Menu" which you can tap to change the order of activities, or even turn on and off some 3rd party activities. I guess that's some degree of personalization as well haha j/k.

crustikid

-Notifications are horrid here

Is there a proper way to use Notification Center in iOS? I pretty much let them pile up and clear them once a week. I suppose this is what people talk about when they talk about notifications.

Banners, alerts, and badge app icons work fine.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So whats the ideal prices I should be looking for on a 128GB 7+ in the UK? I've seen quite a few on eBay going for £650-700 but they've either been the wrong color or network.

I saw someone selling a new Jet Black 128GB unlocked for £650 but they wanted cash only and to be collected from a total of 4 hours driving. Fuel would push it up to £700 easily.

I'm running on a 5 at the moment with 16GB and while 32GB probably would be fine for a 7+ I feel for the cash I'm paying I should go for the 128GB and I'll be keeping it for a good 3-4 years.

Edit: Got a brand new sealed 7+ 128 GB Silver for £600. Thing is gorgeous.

In case anyone is evwn remotely interested I'm a week in to using the Supcase Unicorn Beetle Hybrid cover and it is awesome. Rubberised bumper aka the rubbery bit around the edges is smooth yet provides just enough grip. I also love the feel of the transparent plastic back panel. The buttons on the bumper are nice and spongy/responsive. The tempered glass screen cover I got to go with it is fantastic too, silky smooth.

Guess Who

Banned
So, does putting iphone in recovery mode is trial & error? I had been doing this in an hour and I can't work it.

Here's how I've always done it.

1. Make sure the phone is totally powered down, and not plugged into the Lightning cable.
2. Hold down the volume down button.
3. Keep holding the volume down button as you plug the Lightning cable in.
4. The phone will automatically turn on when plugged in. Don't let go of volume down until you see the iTunes logo on the phone.

Lexxism

Here's how I've always done it.

1. Make sure the phone is totally powered down, and not plugged into the Lightning cable.
2. Hold down the volume down button.
3. Keep holding the volume down button as you plug the Lightning cable in.
4. The phone will automatically turn on when plugged in. Don't let go of volume down until you see the iTunes logo on the phone.
I would assume this is on iPhone 7? This is pretty much what I'm doing with 6s but I'm using home button instead. It will only show the apple logo and will go straight to lock screen. It's always like that. I remember having the same problem when I'm talking with apple live chat. Ugh

So, does putting iphone in recovery mode is trial & error? I had been doing this in an hour and I can't work it.

Plug it in to a computer, hold down the power and home buttons until the phone turns off, turns back on To the apple logo, and then turns into The connect to iTunes sign

Guess Who

Banned
I would assume this is on iPhone 7? This is pretty much what I'm doing with 6s but I'm using home button instead. It will only show the apple logo and will go straight to lock screen. It's always like that. I remember having the same problem when I'm talking with apple live chat. Ugh

This is the iPhone 7 OT, so I assumed you were talking about a 7. But yes, the directions on the 6S are otherwise the same except with the home button rather than volume down. The only times I've ever seen the instructions I gave not work are either user error or a malfunctioning button - it's pretty much foolproof otherwise.

Lexxism

This is the iPhone 7 OT, so I assumed you were talking about a 7. But yes, the directions on the 6S are otherwise the same except with the home button rather than volume down. The only times I've ever seen the instructions I gave not work are either user error or a malfunctioning button - it's pretty much foolproof otherwise.
Yup, what you said work flawlessly. It seems like the PC I'm using was the culprit. It was pretty much instant on the other PC. Thanks again.

oh snap!
Apple said:
For many years Qualcomm has unfairly insisted on charging royalties for technologies they have nothing to do with. The more Apple innovates with unique features such as TouchID, advanced displays, and cameras, to name just a few, the more money Qualcomm collects for no reason and the more expensive it becomes for Apple to fund these innovations. Qualcomm built its business on older, legacy standards but reinforces its dominance through exclusionary tactics and excessive royalties. Despite being just one of over a dozen companies who contributed to basic cellular standards, Qualcomm insists on charging Apple at least five times more in payments than all the other cellular patent licensors we have agreements with combined.

To protect this business scheme Qualcomm has taken increasingly radical steps, most recently withholding nearly $1B in payments from Apple as retaliation for responding truthfully to law enforcement agencies investigating them.

Apple believes deeply in innovation and we have always been willing to pay fair and reasonable rates for patents we use. We are extremely disappointed in the way Qualcomm is conducting its business with us and unfortunately after years of disagreement over what constitutes a fair and reasonable royalty we have no choice left but to turn to the courts.

Apple sues Qualcomm, saying chipmaker withheld $1B as “extortion”

i dont know about you guys but im having problems with my battery.. i just charged it 4 hours ago and im down to like 7% is anyone else experiencing the same?

I use the black apple leather case. It's nice. Nicer than I expected. A great, slim fit, and wonderful in the hand.

Really loving that leather case from Apple. Might not be the cheapest option available but it looks nice and it's quality stuff. Worth the 55 euros.

I used the Apple Leather case for my 6 and 6S, but this time around it seems the leather is very slippery, I mean not as much as having the phone naked, but pretty slippery. I go with the Apple Silicone Case, love the colors, the texture and the extra grip.

I actually just returned the black leather case in black for my 7+ because of how slippery it was to use one-handed.

time since last full charge - usage 2hr 52 mins
standby 3 hr

What apps are taking up most of the power?

That's a really low number but it means your phone has been off the charger for 3 hours but only able to actually sleep for 8 minutes. Even if the screen was off something was keeping the phone awake

Oscar

Finally decided to upgrade my archaic 16GB 6S.

Got a 7 with 128gb, matte black. Otterbox defender on it, looks great all murdered out.

What apps are taking up most of the power?

That's a really low number but it means your phone has been off the charger for 3 hours but only able to actually sleep for 8 minutes. Even if the screen was off something was keeping the phone awake

mostly watching movies on my phone.. its the first time i have experienced the battery dying so quickly.

DOWN

Banned
YouTube links clicked in Safari won't offer to open in the YouTube app anymore. I don't see any way to get them to open in app anymore. It also doesn't have that little banner at the top of a YouTube page anymore in Safari that suggests the app like instagram and other sites do.

YouTube links clicked in Safari won't offer to open in the YouTube app anymore. I don't see any way to get them to open in app anymore. It also doesn't have that little banner at the top of a YouTube page anymore in Safari that suggests the app like instagram and other sites do.

Uninstall YouTube and reinstall would be my suggestion. It's not capturing the links like it's supposed to

Done that a few times and no luck. Does it still work normally for you?

I've had mild issues with it, but even when it opened in the mobile version I still got the banner. Nothing to the extent you're describing

Long hold on the URL and see if "Open in 'YouTube'" is one of the options

Is the location icon supposed to stay on the top of the screen at all times?

If (like me) you have an app or range of apps that use your location constantly. Mine never goes away, but I have a couple weather apps that use it all the time and some system stuff like Home and Find My Friends

Top Bottom