• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Plus owners, have you had any issues with the phone randomly restarting? I got one yesterday and twice now it's restarted out of nowhere. Everything is up to date and it happens while the phone is sitting on a table, not being used.

I haven't had this issue, I do have this issue with the iPad Pro occasionally. May need to take it in to the Apple Store or try doing a backup+restore.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Anyone have trouble with Visual Voicemail?

I'll click a voicemail, and the text preview quickly pops up but then minimizes again. I can't even listen to the VM. Happens over and over until I kill the phone app. Launch phone app again, and I can preview the VM text just fine and click to listen.

Super frustrating in a pinch for work. Has happened a dozen times in the last couple months.

Anyone have trouble with Visual Voicemail?

I'll click a voicemail, and the text preview quickly pops up but then minimizes again. I can't even listen to the VM. Happens over and over until I kill the phone app. Launch phone app again, and I can preview the VM text just fine and click to listen.

Super frustrating in a pinch for work. Has happened a dozen times in the last couple months.

You on 10.2? It was one of the listed fixes

I haven't had this issue, I do have this issue with the iPad Pro occasionally. May need to take it in to the Apple Store or try doing a backup+restore.

Did a restore and that seemed to stop the random restarts but then it powered off with a full battery and it took awhile for me to get it to power back on. Verizon is sending me a replacement. Hopefully I have better luck with that one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there any way to temporarily turn off uploading photos and videos to iCloud? I'm on holiday and using a mobile wifi for browsing etc but iCloud is using tons of data uploading photos and videos.

If I try turning it off it asks me if I want to delete everything (what??) or download everything (which would use even more data)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is there any way to temporarily turn off uploading photos and videos to iCloud? I'm on holiday and using a mobile wifi for browsing etc but iCloud is using tons of data uploading photos and videos.

If I try turning it off it asks me if I want to delete everything (what??) or download everything (which would use even more data)
Not sure, but maybe turning off mobile data for the Photos app works?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not sure, but maybe turning off mobile data for the Photos app works?

No because the Iphone sees 'wifi' and goes to town. iOS needs a 'this wifi is actually metered' like android has. I can get around most things by manually turning them off but not this..

Red

I'm considering getting this phone.

Since my car doesn't have bluetooth, what are my options for charging and using an aux cable?
If your car doesn't have USB input, your easiest option is to buy an aux to lightning adapter and just leave it attached to the car all the time. It might be a higher initial cost but it would be the same thing in practice as any old aux cable.

iavi

If your car doesn't have USB input, your easiest option is to buy an aux to lightning adapter and just leave it attached to the car all the time. It might be a higher initial cost but it would be the same thing in practice as any old aux cable.

This, but no need to even purchase. I just left the adapter that came with the iPhone in the car attached to the aux

it gets the job done...for the music. Good luck charging

Only reason I don't fuss about that is because the 7+ battery is good to the point of never needing to charge during the day even with heavy use

Red

This, but no need to even purchase. I just left the adapter that came with the iPhone in the car attached to the aux

it gets the job done...for the music. Good luck charging
Sure, yeah, that's the best solution if you don't want the adapter for headphones.

I'm considering getting this phone.

Since my car doesn't have bluetooth, what are my options for charging and using an aux cable?

Best solution is to get a Bluetooth to aux adapter

SoundBot SB360 Bluetooth 4.0 Car Kit Hands-Free Wireless Talking & Music Streaming Dongle w/ 10W Dual Port 2.1A USB Charger + Magnetic Mounts + Built-in 3.5mm Aux Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RH29CJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm really content with the battery life on my 7 Plus.
ljpvbtL.jpg

Best solution is to get a Bluetooth to aux adapter

SoundBot SB360 Bluetooth 4.0 Car Kit Hands-Free Wireless Talking & Music Streaming Dongle w/ 10W Dual Port 2.1A USB Charger + Magnetic Mounts + Built-in 3.5mm Aux Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RH29CJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Exactly the type of thing I was looking for.

Thanks all!

I have Jump on Demand so I think there's no reason to pay $150 for the 128GB storage one when the 32GB is $0 at acquisition. Have you guys found 32GB to be a hindrance?

Kibbles

uhhh... I just bought a AT&T iPhone 7+, I take the SIM out of my current at&t 6s and put it in the 7+ and it says SIM Not Supported. What?

Kibbles

First obvious question. Second hand bought or new? Aka. sure it was an AT&T 7+?
New but Bought it from a eBay retailer with nearly 11,000 feedback 99.2% positive. I messaged them about it waiting for a response. Wasn't sure if this was common or an easy solution. I tried looking up the imei myself but you got to pay to see what carrier it is >_>

New but Bought it from a eBay retailer with nearly 11,000 feedback 99.2% positive. I messaged them about it waiting for a response. Wasn't sure if this was common or an easy solution. I tried looking up the imei myself but you got to pay to see what carrier it is >_>

Try going to general->reset->reset network settings?

Kibbles

Try going to general->reset->reset network settings?
Can't get into the phone beyond sweltering there language and wifi.

Something like this lookup doesn't work?

http://www.imeipro.info/att-imei-check.html
According to this it's a clean imei on the at&t network.
o_O

Update: well Apple Store said it was a ATT phone, went to ATT kiosk- guy was helpful and setup a new SIM card but ended up getting thethe same error, went back to Apple Store he recommended trying the Sprint Kiosk too just in case even tho their device says it's an AT&T phone. Sprint Gus were of no help whatsoever and basically shooed me away and told me to go to corporate. Went back to the Apple Store and the dude was apologetic and replaced my device for me and it works, cool beans.

ZOONAMI

Does anyone else think the touch ID sensor is shit on on the iphone 7 plus?

Like it regularly will not register any of my 4 prints to the point I have to put in my passcode.

It's annoying as hell.

Is it defective potentially?

Like it regularly will not register any of my 4 prints to the point I have to put in my passcode.

It's annoying as hell.

Could be. Mine is fine, rarely problems unless my finger is wet.

Have you tried registering a finger using multiple slots?

VertPin

Plus owners, have you had any issues with the phone randomly restarting? I got one yesterday and twice now it's restarted out of nowhere. Everything is up to date and it happens while the phone is sitting on a table, not being used.
Mine would constantly restart in iMessage when selection a photo from one of my albums, but that was fixed in 10.1 I think.

It's annoying as hell.

Have you tried re-registering your fingerprint? The 7 Plus TouchID sensor is great.

Vyer

It's annoying as hell.

might be defective. my sensor has been solid

ZOONAMI

I think I may suffer from generally clammy hands but my v10 and s7 were much better.

It works if I wipe off the sensor and my finger but that is extremely inconvenient.

I have tried reregistering all 4 prints several times.

I think it's defective. Every iPhone since the 5S has progressively gotten better sensors. 6s/7 are blazing fast.

My S7 Edge is more hit or miss with my fingerprint

Red

I think I may suffer from generally clammy hands but my v10 and s7 were much better.

It works if I wipe off the sensor and my finger but that is extremely inconvenient.

I have tried reregistering all 4 prints several times.
Have you tried to register more parts of your fingerprint in TouchID settings after set up?

Aight brehs, I had enough of Android for a while so I'm switching back to iPhone. I need some good Bluetooth headphones with great connectivity, sound and battery life. Any suggestions?

Vyer

budget isn't really an issue, but a sweet spot would be $75 - $160. I feel like Bluetooth isn't that refined to spend much more than that

If you're looking for buds the Jaybirds are pretty solid. I have the Jaybird X but the Freedom also get good reviews. I think the Freedom are the newer version. Of course the AirPods ended up getting good reviews and word of mouth as well, mostly for the W1 features and for sounding a little better than the standard EarPods. I would imagine that would apply to the new beats stuff too, a few people in here have been positive about theirs.

For on ears the Jabra Move gets pretty good reviews for the price. Plantronics backbeat series also get good reviews and have some models that are under 160. You can find some surprisingly decent BTbheadphones for cheap with good range and battery life, but of course if you're picky about sound quality they won't touch the 200+ options.

I can add on that the Jaybirds are quite good. Haven't tried the Freedom but went with the X3 which is the latest model. Replaced the X2 that I lost. Really good audio and longer battery life than the Freedom. The only knock is needing to charge the thing with a proprietary cradle instead of just straight up micro USB. Also some durability concerns with the models in the past.

Linius

I've made the step to iPhone after 7 years of Android, never used a case. Bought the Apple leather case now. I don't know, just feels like this phone needs a case for some reason :p

Won

Always had a booklet case for my phones. I tend to be way too overprotective with those things. Though not sure what to do with the 7 plus yet. The big screen makes me want to protect the phone even more, but it also makes the whole phone a bit less convenient to use from my experience, especially the camera.

Gonna have to try some things out, I guess.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My wife's iPhone 6s keeps shutting down when the power is low, less than 30℅. I thought that was just a problem with a version of iOS, but she has all the updates and it is still doing that. Is it just busted?

So guys what kind of caseS do you have for your iphone 7s?

I just ordered mine today.
I have a Nodus black leather magnetic case. Useful for putting my phone up on the dashboard in the car. It's essentially the same as the apple leather case otherwise.

Also have a jet black peel case which is pretty cool.

Top Bottom