• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there going to be a Bundle or SKU for the PS5 Pro with the disc drive?

TVexperto

Some leaks pointed to a December release for an additional SKU for the PS5 Pro with the disc drive bundled in ... I mean how stupid can Sony be to release a digital only console before christmas? People buy gifts you can hold in your hand for christmas and you still cannot even gift games on the ps5

aclar00

Some leaks pointed to a December release for an additional SKU for the PS5 Pro with the disc drive bundled in ... I mean how stupid can Sony be to release a digital only console before christmas? People buy gifts you can hold in your hand for christmas and you still cannot even gift games on the ps5

Highly doubt it. Given the already high price of the console and Sony's insistence on having high margins...they are not about to loose money to make things convenient for folks.

A: How would we know?
B: I get the impression that Sony will be sticking with digital only as the core for their systems and maintaining a disc drive as an accessory.

reinking

Gold Member
I am not a fan of add-ons but I also do not know how much it matters as long as a drive is available. It’s not like it is digital only with no other options. How can you not gift games on the PS5? If you’re concerned about buying someone a game for Christmas that they can hold in their hands and they only have digital, just buy them the drive instead. Boom, gift in their hands and they now have a fully functional disc console.

jm89

What's the point?

Sony aren't in the subsidising mood probably due to a bean counter hovering over playstation, so they are probably going to charge full price for both the pro and disc drive. Might aswell buy it seperatley.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Combined the US retail price is $110. $80 for drive and $30 for stand.

If there is a bundle, they'd probably just make it $700 --> $800 and you save $10.

Given their mantra lately of gaining margin (including increasing gamepads an extra $5), there is no way a big bundle would be $750 all in, similar to standard PS5 being $50 more than digital slim.

The point of having drive and stand separate is to decouple it, so they can make margin reselling them in isolation.

And as Calverz said below, digital download focus. The more games bought from PSN the more they make as they cut out Amazon/Best Buy disc cuts.

Last edited:

Bond007

As much as i would love it. It would make no sense currently.

700 Currently digital for Nov- already announced.
You cant get people to buy this and shell out $80 extra dsic drive asap- and then tell em right after there is a disc version coming in Dec.

Lets say they did- its just gonna be $780-$800. They aren't gonna sell it for the same price as the $700 digital.

So what's the point one way or another?
So no- i don't expect that to happen.

If they were hell bent on this price point for two consoles it should have been
$650 digital
$700 with disc.

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Why would they? The reason behind the optional disc drive is to get people used to buy digital only. Sony wants to maximise profits, they don't want you to trade or resell your games.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The stores themselves will probably put together bundles, but I doubt sony will for a few years. Sticker shock would be too big.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe best value to score a system trading in, is to wait for a promo. Maybe GS will do those deals where you trade in and get an extra $100 for your PS5.

Maybe. We never know. They did bundles with 2TB or 2 DS4 controllers for PS4 Pro. So everything is possible. The problem will be the price tag though. But it could be a good way to reduce scalping on disk drives that already happening. But I fear Sony didn't anticipate that and will be slow to react.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Retailers will do this

Lng0004

People are missing the point. OP wants a bundle just to not have to go through the trouble of searching for a disk drive. I get it. I'm fine paying the actual price if it saves me the hassle of running around.

Also who tf wants two boxes for what's essentially one item?

it's 2024, most people buy digitally now.

I'm about 50/50 for Day 1 games, but if it's a game I wait for a sale on, it's usually physical cause they drop in price quicker usually.

Yes, the bundle with the disc drive, stand, microfiber cloth and mini vac to suck at the dust hole will be $701

Eszti

Banned
The backlash is so big im waiting on a price reduction before launch or they bundle it with a drive for the same price.

Believe….🙏😭

yogaflame

That will be a good news for those interested with ps5 Pro if that is true. Who knows? With all the anger of not having a disc drive out of the box, Sony might change there mind and release another version with cd drive. It is very likely it might happen due to fan request.

Top Bottom