• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Peff

Tranced Shadow said:
Argh,
Experiment 221 with Terra
is a bloody awful boss. I can just about deal with most of his attacks, but the bit where he
takes over the machine guns
is awful - one wrong move and I get combo'd to death.

Enjoying the game apart from that though. One question - is there a benefit given to playing the three characters after another on the same save file, or might I as well have three different saves for each character and play them at once?

Could do with a breather after trying to take that bastard down :p

You pretty much have to have three save files and the game encourages you to do so, because if you miss one of the Xehanort Reports (and one of Terra's is not hard to miss) and you overwrite that file you have to start again with that character. That being said, I'm not sure if anything happens if you play them at once, but I suppose it's not a problem. Try melding commands with Once More or Second Chance to survive his attacks, Blizzara+Blizzara and the crystal that improves the power of attacks, for example.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Alright KH gaf, I got some questions. I’m wanting to get back into this series but left completely disgusted thanks to 2’s 10 hour intro and nonsensical story. What KH games are worth checking out and in what order to make some sense of what’s going on?

Aeana

Jerk 2.0 said:
Wait, is there like a central save file?
There's the system data that's auto-saved constantly that probably contains some information, like play stats and maybe the journal entries and such.

Jerk

Banned
Aeana said:
There's the system data that's auto-saved constantly that probably contains some information, like play stats and maybe the journal entries and such.

Makes sense.

Also, I have finally reached a boss where using more than just the basic cure is not enough to stay alive.

Time to meld me some cura.

Phenomic

Oh man first boss with Terra and I'm already getting owned lol. Where the heck is Cure and why can I not buy it off the vendor. This is going to be a rough game I feel.

Wazzim

Banned
Phenomic said:
Oh man first boss with Terra and I'm already getting owned lol. Where the heck is Cure and why can I not buy it off the vendor. This is going to be a rough game I feel.
You'll get the hang of it, cure can be used when D-linking with Aqua ;)

StuBurns

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Time magic.

The Twisted Hours finisher should work especially well.
Thanks, I'll give it a try later, just have a normal attacking finisher on at the moment because I don't really like how anything more involved affects the pace of battles. I'll put it back on for him.

It's been a few years, but I don't remember any
zero gravity
parts in the first two games, was there any? It was incredible in BbS.

StuBurns said:
It's been a few years, but I don't remember any
zero gravity
parts in the first two games, was there any? It was incredible in BbS.

You mean like from the
Deep Space
world?

Nope.

StuBurns

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
You mean like from the
Deep Space
world?

Nope.
Yeah that's what I meant. Because I remembered the character in that level was also in I believe KH2, but I couldn't remember the context.

Thanks, I hope for more of that in the future.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I read each character takes you through a beginning, middle, and end of the plot lines on the planets. What's the order/does it matter?

Phenomic

pelicansurf said:
I read each character takes you through a beginning, middle, and end of the plot lines on the planets. What's the order/does it matter?

Not 100% positive and I don't think it matters over all but I thought I remember hearing go Terra, Ventus, Aqua. Just have a different save file for each and you should be fine. Conveniently this is also the order that they go in on the select screen and I think that was intended.

Peff

Yep, it's Terra->Ventus->Aqua. That way you mostly get to see the story in sequence, specially the ending where each character takes it further.

StuBurns

Banned
If that's the case, it's a very strange thing to have you play as Vent at the start, he's framed as the newcomer, the least experienced, he's also the one described as being the sort of middle ground gameplay wise by the game. I picked him, then I was going to play Aqua next because the story is teasing me into think I should keep some of Terra's mystery going, but I might switch that based on what happens, and if I even play it thru again.

Peff

StuBurns said:
If that's the case, it's a very strange thing to have you play as Vent at the start, he's framed as the newcomer, the least experienced, he's also the one described as being the sort of middle ground gameplay wise by the game. I picked him, then I was going to play Aqua next because the story is teasing me into think I should keep some of Terra's mystery going, but I might switch that based on what happens, and if I even play it thru again.

Ventus and Aqua's go back to back somewhat, whereas Terra's more independent, so I think you should keep your original plan now that you've started.

Man, Aqua is awesome.

Tomboyish girls. <3

That said, I am really enjoying the battle system in this game. It feels a lot more fluid and natural than the previous system(s).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nngh, lacking the time to put more hours into this. :(

StuBurns said:
My thoughts exactly, although I was going to play as Terra as the second character. It just felt more natural to start as Ventus based on how the game starts.

hamchan

Gouty said:
Alright KH gaf, I got some questions. I’m wanting to get back into this series but left completely disgusted thanks to 2’s 10 hour intro and nonsensical story. What KH games are worth checking out and in what order to make some sense of what’s going on?
No. Nothing will make sense even if you play all the games. With that said I'd say all the games are worth playing in the order they were released. 358/2 days is kinda meh though.

StuBurns said:
Wingblade is so badass, it is basically how it looks in the Versus trailer.

My favorite command style as well.

Aqua's super-exclusive is cool too
Zero Shift Combat.

But Terra's is pretty underwhelming in comparison.

matmanx1

Hmm so if I just started and am only an hour or so in and picked Aqua first (because she's awesome) should I start over with Terra to be more "correct" in the story sequence? How big of a difference does it make?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
hamchan said:
No. Nothing will make sense even if you play all the games. With that said I'd say all the games are worth playing in the order they were released. 358/2 days is kinda meh though.

That's too bad. So if the story remains horse shit, are you suggesting I play them in order simply because of improved mechanics? And is the GBA to PS2 port worth tracking down?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm using Terra now, game is fantastic.

Is the command board totally optional (meaning even if I don't play it, I can progress and level up well)?

Started on Proud mode and was getting fisted by the scrubby enemies at the beginning. Almost thought about starting over on normal but I kept at it and glad I did. Taking the time to actually get to know the combat system is so rewarding. Can't wait for a KH3 with this style of combat fused with KH2's. Should be badass.

For the person stuck on the first boss as Terra: I just kept grinding in the hallway of the castle and going back into the bedroom to heal on the save point and repeated that process over and over until I no longer died after 3-4 hits by those big Unversed creatures.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Started on Proud mode and was getting fisted by the scrubby enemies at the beginning. Almost thought about starting over on normal but I kept at it and glad I did. Taking the time to actually get to know the combat system is so rewarding. Can't wait for a KH3 with this style of combat fused with KH2's. Should be badass.

Eww.

StuBurns

Banned
I can't imagine grinding, it doesn't really make sense to me to pick a higher difficulty, then to grind to gain a battle advantage, you might as well just play it normally and not grind surely?

I really wish the block animation was a lot shorter, it's literally like half a second before the animation is in place. I don't feel like the game compels me to improve because it doesn't feel that tight or precise to warrant it. No doubt there are people who can perform masterfully on it, but with something like NG, I feel that super crisp response makes me want to improve because it's such a key aspect of the gameplay.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, this is the best KH gameplay wise so far without question.
EDIT2: Of the ones I've played anyway, which is just this and the main two.

Peff

StuBurns said:
I can't imagine grinding, it doesn't really make sense to me to pick a higher difficulty, then to grind to gain a battle advantage, you might as well just play it normally and not grind surely?

Well, you could always do that in order to get the secret ending (it's a much worse grind on normal). Plus, grinding here is fun since you can really break the game early on, like getting Mega Flare in the first set of worlds :D

Also, the delay is part of the balance. You are not really meant to be blocking everything, but the really deadly attacks have a similar delay that allows you to block them, which in turn stuns the enemy and offers a chance for a special counter-attack. Aqua's a bit more responsive, though.

Someone finally managed to beat the new secret boss without cheating.

Edit: NVM. They used a munny cheat to buy their abilities. :/

Snaku

Banned
Damn this thread, made me go out and buy it from Walmart while I wait for my Amazon copy to arrive on Monday. While I'll be out $40 until I can return my Amazon copy to Walmart, at least I get the sexy slip cover my Amazon copy won't have.

Installing now....

GO FASTER D:

Bebpo

Banned
StuBurns said:

Ventus is the lead for the game as a whole.

Ventus -> Terra -> Aqua is the path I took

Bebpo

Banned
ULTROS! said:
I'm using Terra now, game is fantastic.

Is the command board totally optional (meaning even if I don't play it, I can progress and level up well)?

Totally optional, but also totally awesome.

Give it a shot and you'll grow to love it.

I probably spent half my game time in command board on 1st playthrough. Then I barely touched it with the other two.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I got the game.

Between Valkyria Chronicles 2, Phantasy Star Portable 2, KH:BBS, and finishing Persona 3 Portable my PSP will be very busy for the rest of the year.

Ironically enough, I said I would never play the male characters....I ended up starting off with Terra. Might as well save the best (Aqua) for last :D

Snaku said:
Damn this thread, made me go out and buy it from Walmart while I wait for my Amazon copy to arrive on Monday. While I'll be out $40 until I can return my Amazon copy to Walmart, at least I get the sexy slip cover my Amazon copy won't have.

Installing now....

GO FASTER D:

What's this?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hmm, I'll have to try a different memory stick later then... loading without the data install is so slow :( But the game is amazingly awesome.

StuBurns

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Agreed, when all is said and done...it may well be my favorite of all the Kingdom Hearts games.
Not being a big fan of the stories of the games at all, and being indifferent to Disney, only being about six hours in, I'd say it's my favorite. The gameplay is so good, I'd read it was the best in that regard so far for a couple of years, but I always thought I would disagree because of the PSPs form factor, but no, it's pretty incredible. I liked CC, but it was very clunky, Dissidia I never really got into, for me this is by far the best SE game on PSP, and probably the best they've shipped this generation that I've played. It's awesome.

EDIT: I've just checked, I'm at the end of the game after like six hours, what has everyone been doing to make it last twenty?
EDIT2: Shit, I'm on nine hours, I played nine hours in a day, wow.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
StuBurns said:
Not being a big fan of the stories of the games at all, and being indifferent to Disney, only being about six hours in, I'd say it's my favorite. The gameplay is so good, I'd read it was the best in that regard so far for a couple of years, but I always thought I would disagree because of the PSPs form factor, but no, it's pretty incredible. I liked CC, but it was very clunky, Dissidia I never really got into, for me this is by far the best SE game on PSP, and probably the best they've shipped this generation that I've played. It's awesome.

I played for only a short time, but I can tell the gameplay is incredible.

I am already just having a blast trying to dodge and attack with finesse :lol

Aeana

Counter Hammer, and whatever that move is that lets you recover with square after you go flying make the combat for me. But I am a total sucker for timed block/dodge/parry systems in games.

I love how Nomura has made a couple of games now (TWEWY and now this) that remind me of Vagrant Story in the sense that they just have an absolute shitload of subsystems to play with beneath the basic gameplay. That's basically something that almost automatically kicks an RPG/APRG up into the stratosphere for me.

Speaking of which, gimme a Vagrant Story rerelease for PSP or 3DS immediately.

StuBurns

Banned
badcrumble said:
Speaking of which, gimme a Vagrant Story rerelease for PSP or 3DS immediately.
The PS1 version is on the PAL PSN Store, I don't know if that helps you.

EDIT: I'd read you have the option of changing characters half way thru the campaign, is that true? When/where?

Man, the command board is so addicting. I can't believe how much time I've spent just messing around with that. I wish the AI was a little better, though. I seem to have reached the point where I'm pretty much guaranteed victory.

Actual game is awesome, too. Combat continues to be absolutely amazing. I'm also glad that I finally arrived at a somewhat large area, after the first couple of locations being pretty tiny.

Top Bottom