• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Seda

Peff said:
It's not missable as much as it's easy to not know it's there... the only way to miss it temporarily is to overwrite Terra's save file.
There are also a handful of them hidden inside chests, but those are usually pretty obvious

Thanks.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Fimbulvetr said:
If we're talking about awesome games:

High Scores = More Sales

Morse Sales = More Awesome Games

In theory.
I am quite confident that this game will sell insanely good in comparision to almost every other PSP game released in the last 2 years.

And those low 8's won't prevent that =)

Peace Walker.

That is all.

Will be picking up my copy tomorrow (technically later today since it's past midnight now but whatever)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Pureauthor said:
Peace Walker.

That is all.

Will be picking up my copy tomorrow (technically later today since it's past midnight now but whatever)

Except I think the situation here is different. KH is a much more casual game series than Metal Gear. It'll do just fine.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
If we're talking about awesome games:

High Scores = More Sales

Morse Sales = More Awesome Games

In theory.

It is also somewhat useful feedback for use in future games.

Jeels

Kagari said:
Except I think the situation here is different. KH is a much more casual game series than Metal Gear. It'll do just fine.

I also feel like the younger audience with Kingdom Hearts is less inclined to hack, as is the fact that a lot of parents are buying this game for their kids, and more will closer to the holidays (as happened with Days, which for an RPG, had really really good legs into the holiday season). Beyond that, the Kingdom Hearts series has some seriously dedicated fans, although that applied to both Peace Walker and Dissidia too.

Anyone manage to get the sticker in the Throne Room at Enchanted Domain?

Tried the High Jump + Air Slide + Air Dash from the stairs but I barely miss it each time.

CryptiK

I have my Special Edition here sealed and never to be opened makes me sad that I wont see the art book but.. FOR THE GOOD OF THE COLLECTION!

Volcynika

Kinda having trouble on Critical at first, but I gotta ask if D-Links are somehow just amusing to use and make things much easier. I beat the first boss on Terra's story just by
using the Maleficent D-Link and destroying it with the fire attack :lol
(spoiler tagged just in case). I got the first stars for Ventus and Aqua's D-Link, but not sure if I'm not able to get the second ones. That part confuses me.

Jerk

Banned
Volcynika said:
Kinda having trouble on Critical at first, but I gotta ask if D-Links are somehow just amusing to use and make things much easier. I beat the first boss on Terra's story just by
using the Maleficent D-Link and destroying it with the fire attack :lol
(spoiler tagged just in case). I got the first stars for Ventus and Aqua's D-Link, but not sure if I'm not able to get the second ones. That part confuses me.

Just continue to use them against normal enemies to get the other stars.

And yeah D-Links are really useful, but I almost always reserve them for really bad situations.

I particularly like Aqua's.

Volcynika

Jerk 2.0 said:
Just continue to use them against normal enemies to get the other stars.

And yeah D-Links are really useful, but I almost always reserve them for really bad situations.

I particularly like Aqua's.

Yeah I didn't have much issue with regular enemies but the first boss's attacks usually caught me where I couldn't dodge it, so I had to D-Link to survive it.

Is there anything I can't get in this game if I don't play on proud mode? I don't care if I have to do more in other modes, but is there anything that I am absolutely prevented from getting on standard difficulty?

Peff

brucewaynegretzky said:
Is there anything I can't get in this game if I don't play on proud mode? I don't care if I have to do more in other modes, but is there anything that I am absolutely prevented from getting on standard difficulty?

The only thing affected is the secret ending, which is easier to get on Proud/Critical but not exclusive to them. Still, it's MUCH easier to get it there, I think you have to completely fill the journals on Standard versus just finishing the game.

10 hours in on Critical Mode with Terra and having a blast. The battle system in this game is EASILY the best in the series. Leveling up commands is such a breeze and melding them together becomes all the more addicting because of how rewarding the combat is. I know KHII kind had a similar Journal that recorded everything, but I still love the feature in general. I also love the sticker collection idea, small stuff like that is always nice to see and I didn't expect there to be anything like that in the game.

My only complaint so far, as I believe a few here mentioned already, is the lack of life and characters in each world. I only played through the original KH in its entirety so I don't remember if the others were like this too, but it seems like the whole series has this "empty" world feeling. I am also not really a Disney guy so I don't know what characters you could really add to each world to give them more life, but it really does feel odd that the only people you meet really in each world are those who have something to do with the main character/plot.

Also, the world design is pretty boring, but again, I remember the original KH feeling the same way. There are no puzzles or environment traps or any interesting stage design ideas. It's really just rooms and corridors filled with enemy spawns and events. I think the series could really use a new stage design mentality. I mean, they are working with famous worlds and characters so you think they would be more inspired to create interesting stages.

Deep Space felt like the best effort I have seen so far and even then it's pretty boring. There could have been some cool gravity scenarios or something instead of some blocks that float and platforms that rise and fall.

duckroll

Peff said:
The only thing affected is the secret ending, which is easier to get on Proud/Critical but not exclusive to them. Still, it's MUCH easier to get it there, I think you have to completely fill the journals on Standard versus just finishing the game.

Yeah the requirements on Standard is nonsense. It's literally faster to replay the game in Proud and beat it, rather than to fill up all the collections in Standard.

duckroll said:
Yeah the requirements on Standard is nonsense. It's literally faster to replay the game in Proud and beat it, rather than to fill up all the collections in Standard.

I think I went the 100% route + Sepiroth in KH1 to get the secret ending X_X

KH2 played Normal then realized how stupid some of the mini games I'd have to do were. Just went online and watched the video.

Haven't used the D-link much. Got a bunch of abilities and commands that are way better, imho, than what I'd get in D-link. Zero Exp comes in handy when you wanna grind for commands/abilities without leveling up.

(Minigame related)
Rumble racing is annoying as hell. First 3 courses weren't bad but the Castle on is fucking bullshit

StuBurns

Banned
Finished Vent's campaign, it's the best KH game so far, it's the best SE game this generation and it's the best action game on PSP.

It's great.

ExtraKr1spy said:

KH2 played Normal then realized how stupid some of the mini games I'd have to do were. Just went online and watched the video.

Haven't used the D-link much. Got a bunch of abilities and commands that are way better, imho, than what I'd get in D-link. Zero Exp comes in handy when you wanna grind for commands/abilities without leveling up.

(Minigame related)
Rumble racing is annoying as hell. First 3 courses weren't bad but the Castle on is fucking bullshit

Why are you playing as?

The Ventus' D-Link is good if you want to increase your character's attack speed.

ExtraKr1spy said:

I can specifically remember the time playing 2 where I got pissed off after the hundredth or so time failing at that damn ball game and just said "fuck this". And then they freaking brought it back in 358/2 Days and tried to give me a challenge related to it there, too. I almost threw my DS across the room.:lol

I'm playing the game on Normal right now, but I don't know if I'll do everything required for the Secret Ending or not. I'd like to do it just to be able say that I did, but I'll probably reach a point similar to 2 where I just get pissed off and give up on it.

I still think KH Birth By Sleep will be on the NPDs top 10. Since NPDs don't track PSN sales, my guess is that KH will be on it since there is no PSN version unlike Peace Walker.

That's just my guess, though.

I'm sure the number won't be huge, but I do expect it to be more than Dissidia.

Also, I wanted to ask if I should check out 358/2 Days and/or KH RE: Chain of Memories. I haven't played these and playing through Birth By Sleep is getting me interested in checking these out.

Do you guys recommend them? I don't know about the card battle thing in Chains and I hear a lot of bad things about the DS version.

Just wondering if they're worth getting.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Also, I wanted to ask if I should check out 358/2 Days and/or KH RE: Chain of Memories. I haven't played these and playing through Birth By Sleep is getting me interested in checking these out.

Do you guys recommend them? I don't know about the card battle thing in Chains and I hear a lot of bad things about the DS version.

Just wondering if they're worth getting.

358/2 Days gets a bad rap from some people, but I personally loved it. The Panel system in the game (its method of skill progression) is brilliant, and I had a lot of fun playing it. The battle system isn't as good as BBS (and the lack of analog does hurt it), but I had a ton of fun, and I thought the mission structure of the game worked well and made it easy to play at your own pace. I highly recommend it. Of course, it is worth noting that I'm a big fan of Roxas, and if you hate him, I can see the game (especially the story) grating on you.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
Finished Vent's campaign, it's the best KH game so far, it's the best SE game this generation and it's the best action game on PSP.

It's great.

I have to agree, with everything. Nomura has given me even greater hope for Versus XIII's combat direction after seeing this.

ExtraKr1spy said:
Playing as Terra
Well D-Links have Buffs that come with them(they have to be obtained by using the D-Link in battle though, occasionally an enemy will drop one).

Ventus has Haste(running and attack speed increase) and Auto-Counter(explains itself).

Also certain Commands another character can't use will be available in a D-Link.

Edit: My mistake on the strike raid.

There are character exclusive commands though.

Aeana

Ys 7 remains my favorite action RPG on PSP (followed by Oath in Felghana PSP), but I do agree that it's very awesome, and does give me higher hopes for Versus.

Fimbulvetr said:
Well D-Links have Buffs that come with them(they have to be obtained by using the D-Link in battle though, occasionally an enemy will drop one).

Ventus has Haste(running and attack speed increase) and Auto-Counter(explains itself).

Also certain Commands another character can't use will be available in a D-Link.

Edit: My mistake on the strike raid.

There are character exclusive commands though.

Guess I could try and play around with it for a bit.

Disney Town feels like the most alive place I've visited so far because theres at least 3 characters you can interact with. Doesn't really bother me much but damn it would be nice having others around the nice environments.

ShockingAlberto said:
I almost feel like there's too much stuff to the combat.

More often than not, at least on Standard, I don't need half the options they give me.

I felt the same until I got to the first boss with Terra :lol

This is on Proud though.

StuBurns

Banned
bbsl.jpg

I want this. Do you have this? How did you get this?
I don't even actually want this, outside of feeling like the game doesn't want me to have it.

ExtraKr1spy said:
Anyone manage to get the sticker in the Throne Room at Enchanted Domain?

Tried the High Jump + Air Slide + Air Dash from the stairs but I barely miss it each time.

Really, because I was able to get it that way. I also pressed the attack button, though I'm not sure if that gave me any extra height.

Peff

You can use some skills like Sonic Blade to move further in the air. I'm also positive you can pick up that sticker in the picture with a maxed out high jump plus Super Glide.

StuBurns

Banned
Peff said:
You can use some skills like Sonic Blade to move further in the air. I'm also positive you can pick up that sticker in the picture with a maxed out high jump plus Super Glide.
My High Jump and Superglide are both lv4, is that max?

Peff

I think so, yeah. If they have a crown beside the level, they are maxed. Go to the right to the other side of the river and jump from there.

Jerk

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I almost feel like there's too much stuff to the combat.

More often than not, at least on Standard, I don't need half the options they give me.

On Critical, they are very nice to have.

Still not mandatory though.

StuBurns said:
bbsl.jpg

I want this. Do you have this? How did you get this?
I don't even actually want this, outside of feeling like the game doesn't want me to have it.

Later on there is a cave you can glide into that comes out ontop of a cliff in that area, then you can jump down to get it.

Peff

ChronicleX said:
Later on there is a cave you can glide into that comes out ontop of a cliff in that area, then you can jump down to get it.

Nope, that one leads to a chest in
Mermaid Creek, the area above the one in the picture is exclusive to Aqua.

Peff said:
Nope, that one leads to a chest in
Mermaid Creek, the area above the one in the picture is exclusive to Aqua.

No it isn't because I have only done ven's story and I went up there and dropped down in order to get that sticker :lol

okno

This game is way, way, way more fun than it has any right to be.

So much for being productive on my day off tomorrow!

snorggy

Sorry if this has been addressed... read the first few pages and didn't see anything...

Is this game n00b friendly? I've never played any of the other KH games so will the story make sense to me or will there be too many references to the previous games for me to fully appreciate it?

Bebpo

Banned
StuBurns said:

It's great.

And it just gets better as you keep playing and finish what's left ;)

xintin

so I've finished two stories so far on normal. Is it true you can do the last on Proud and still get the ending the easy way?

Gattsu25

Banned
I had vowed never to buy a disc game again. Fucking squeenix forcing my hand...

edit: I won't be able to afford this until next week

Top Bottom