• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Time to take a break. Played for 3 hours straight already. The game is really addicting... I think the most fun I've had on a portable game in quite some time. It's definitely the best game to come out of Square-Enix in a while as well.

StuBurns said:
I really wish the block animation was a lot shorter, it's literally like half a second before the animation is in place. I don't feel like the game compels me to improve because it doesn't feel that tight or precise to warrant it. No doubt there are people who can perform masterfully on it, but with something like NG, I feel that super crisp response makes me want to improve because it's such a key aspect of the gameplay.

The guard gets faster/longer as it levels up.

StuBurns

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Oh man, this clapping game.

I am either terrible at it or it is terrible.
First try I sucked, second try I only messed up like twice. First time I was kind of aiming the reticule with the d-pad as appose to literally just selecting them, for example, if you're on the right, but want the left, I would go via up for some reason, which is slow and wasteful.

CryptiK

DualShadow said:
Looks like this doesn't come out until tomorrow here :( (Australia)

Looking forward to it so much!
Dude its out EB has it now. They expressed it to each store so teh dates wouldnt get screwed

I understand this has been said a billion times in this thread, so I will spoiler it (not an actual spoiler):
I WANT KINGDOM HEARTS 3 SO BAD! Next gen, HD, high FPS, full voice acting and movie quality animation would make me cum buckets. GAHH I WANT! One day I want to become a billionaire just to use all my earnings to fund that project.

P.S. Damn Japan and their obsession with handhelds - they keep anything good on them!

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Did someone bought the special edition? If so, is it worth his money?

darkjedi187 said:
Where can I find a list of the deck combinations. I saw someone mention Mega Flare. How is this made?

On my file I think I combined Fission Flame(or something like that) and Ignite Crawl(not sure of the name again but its also a fire attack)

StuBurns

Banned
There's a crown in
Rainbow Falls: Base
, but I can't reach, how do you get it? I was at the end of the game after about nine hours so I decided to go thru all the areas again before hand, it's so great.

Peff

StuBurns said:
There's a crown in
Rainbow Falls: Base
, but I can't reach, how do you get it? I was at the end of the game after about nine hours so I decided to go thru all the areas again before hand, it's so great.

Is it floating high in the air? I suppose a few of them require
Super Glide
just like in Final Mix+, which is on
Disney Town. Go back to the sewer and the pinball, and when you exit through the door to the town glide or charge to the platform in front of you. It's there inside a chest.

duckroll

darkjedi187 said:
man
Braig
is kicking my butt on proud mode.

You know you can reflect his shots when he goes into first person mode by guarding just as the shot is about to hit you right?

duckroll said:
You know you can reflect his shots when he goes into first person mode by guarding just as the shot is about to hit you right?

I thought you could. I was just about to try that on my lunch break. BTW Thank you for the help.

Jerk

Banned
You can also simply dash around.

So many boss fights are trivialized(even in critical mode) when you just dash around until the stand still.

Also, the writers permanently chained Terra to to the idiot ball. It started out as being annoying, but eventually it just gets sad...

Does Terra get the ability to jump higher?

Want to collect some stickers but can't quite reach them with regular jump + slash
Just completed Disney Town and Have coliseum and Deep Space unlocked

edit1: Mandrake's drop Abounding Crystal which you can use during melding to get the Luck Prize ability which makes enemies drop more/better items/chests.

edit2: Thanks! time for me to collect some stickers

ExtraKr1spy said:

Want to collect some stickers but can't quite reach them with regular jump + slash

They all learn high jump.

Jerk

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:

Deep Space

Well I just finished my first story (Picked Ven because he looks like the protagonist from the other games :lol ) on critical. All I can say is damn this game is good, though the lockon annoys me to no end since it keeps de-locking when they go into the floor =(

Things I hate/found awesome

Vanitas
is one fucking mega bastard of a boss the first time you meet him.
Being able to rename all your finishers is amusing. Why use "Finish" when you could "Release the Tuna!". Shame you cannot rename your changed command style skills as you use them more.
The command learning/level system is really neat. Its kind of like the best of FFVII's Materia system mixed with FFIX's learn system.
The combat system is easily the best of all the KH games. Only downer is the lock-on and how clumbersome it is to select a skill on the PSP's d-pad while moving.
Time Splicer is the best skill in any KH game yet.
It stops time and causes you to constantly teleport between all frozen unversed and wack the crap out of them. It's like Omnislash but 2x as awesome, works on bosses too (not all get time frozen but the omnislash part always works). Get it asap!

Time to start my Terra playthrough. Shame that all my stuff from Ven does not carry over, it took me ages to get Time Splicer.

Spiegel

Bebpo said:
US reviewers = 7.5

Makes no sense

Seriously. I've just finished Terra's story (13:32) and it has been the most fun I've had with a JRPG in a long time. The graphics are really good and I don't get the complaints about the loading times.

I'm looking foward to continue playing with Ventus later this week.

xero273

ChronicleX said:
Time to start my Terra playthrough. Shame that all my stuff from Ven does not carry over, it took me ages to get Time Splicer.

I don't think terra can use that move.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bebpo said:
US reviewers = 7.5

Makes no sense

Automatic 2 point deduction for being Japanese. Or on a handheld. Or something. BBS is the best game I have played in some time now.

Wazzim

Banned
Kagari said:
Time to take a break. Played for 3 hours straight already. The game is really addicting... I think the most fun I've had on a portable game in quite some time. It's definitely the best game to come out of Square-Enix in a while as well.
It's really good right? :)
I love how much they have polished this one, even the main menu just rocks.

Jerk

Banned
So what is it the the reviewers do not like about the game?

I mean this is actually a good KH game. The last (only other?) one was COM GBA.

I can understand them marking the game down for plot/dialogue, but some actually highlight these as high points (lol).

Kingsora

Kagari said:
Automatic 2 point deduction for being Japanese. Or on a handheld. Or something. BBS is the best game I have played in some time now.
It's funny because it's probably true =O

Wazzim

Banned
Jerk 2.0 said:

"Oh no!! It has Disney, I don't want Disney in my gamezzz. Oh and it's a JRPG and the worst, on the PSP! Not even on HD consolez D:"

Yes, I have lost my respect for western reviews finally, they are really biased.

Jerk

Banned
Wazzim said:
"Oh no!! It has Disney, I don't want Disney in my gamezzz. Oh and it's a JRPG and the worst, on the PSP! Not even on HD consolez D:"

Yes, I have lost my respect for western reviews finally, they are really biased.

I find it hilarious that you single out western reviews and not the idea itself. ALL reviews are biased.

The degree to which bias is minimized is what makes a source useful or worthless.

I mean, have you seen Famitsu's reviews lately?

Wazzim

Banned
Jerk 2.0 said:
I find it hilarious that you single out western reviews and not the idea itself. ALL reviews are biased.

The degree to which bias is minimized is what makes a source useful or worthless.

I mean, have you seen Famitsu's reviews lately?
:lol Don't even start about Famitsu...
I did generalize a bit too much, many western reviewers are great and I like to read their stuff.

Jerk 2.0 said:

I can understand them marking the game down for plot/dialogue, but some actually highlight these as high points (lol).

I don't even know.

There are reasonable complaints, like the annoying camera sometimes.

But I just can't see how KH2 got so many 10s and 9s while this is mostly getting 8s.

Seda

How many of the Xehanort reports are missable?

As far as I can tell, the only one that can be missed is fighting a "prison guard" boss at the mirage arena as Terra. Is this correct? At what point is this report "missed"?

Aeana

The actually sad part is how slowly this thread is moving. Western gamers just have a general disinterest in handheld gaming, and it's the reason why the PSP is doing so poorly. It's apparently really difficult to convince gamers that there are good games worth playing on handheld systems.

Kingsora

Wazzim said:
:lol Don't even start about Famitsu...
I did generalize a bit too much, many western reviewers are great and I like to read their stuff.
Western reviewers just don't like portable games as much as console games, BBS was the highest scoring PSP game in 4 years in famitsu if I am not mistaken (yeah I know it's famitsu, but still =) ).

If this game would be on PS360 with HD graphics, the game would score without a doubt much higher. But it's just a score, so why do we even care? ^^

Seda

Aeana said:
The actually sad part is how slow this thread is moving. Western gamers just have a general disinterest in handheld gaming, and it's the reason why the PSP is doing so poorly. It's apparently really difficult to convince gamers that there are good games worth playing on handheld systems.

I only barely started playing. I'm spending more time with VC2 right now. I think I just cleared the Cinderella world for the first time as Terra. Once I finish VC2's main story I'll sink more time into BBS.

Kingsora said:
If this game would be on PS360 with HD graphics, the game would score without a doubt much higher. But it's just a score, so why do we even care? ^^

If we're talking about awesome games:

High Scores = More Sales

Morse Sales = More Awesome Games

In theory.

Peff

Seda said:
How many of the Xehanort reports are missable?

As far as I can tell, the only one that can be missed is fighting a "prison guard" boss at the mirage arena as Terra. Is this correct? At what point is this report "missed"?

It's not missable as much as it's easy to not know it's there... the only way to miss it temporarily is to overwrite Terra's save file.
There are also a handful of them hidden inside chests, but those are usually pretty obvious

Top Bottom