• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

I played the Command board a few times. Got tired of how rigged it seemed. Maybe I'll try it later. Is there any moves that are exclusive to the command board?

Aeana

Crewnh said:
I played the Command board a few times. Got tired of how rigged it seemed. Maybe I'll try it later. Is there any moves that are exclusive to the command board?
Have you tried using any of the hand abilities, like 2x Roll and such? Either way, you don't have to win to benefit. You get experience and extra commands that you built up no matter what.

Ponn

Banned
Wow, you can tell we are coming up on the holidays. This is when Amazon starts dicking people around with free saver shipping. Mine still hasn't shipped yet. Unfortunately for them i'm cheap and patient:lol

Shuusui

Got my white PSP-3000 and the game today. My wife immediately commandeered the system and game from me. She pretty much made me buy the PSP for this game... I think she sees the game as this, and not as the game we all know and love:

30k7jnp.jpg

Joke's on her, though. Don't have a Memory Stick yet :lol

Borman

The Command Board seems simple on Proud mode, only lost the first time. Granted, thats only with the first board, but still.

Aeana said:
Have you tried using any of the hand abilities, like 2x Roll and such? Either way, you don't have to win to benefit. You get experience and extra commands that you built up no matter what.
No, I haven't. I'll give it a try again with the hands. It just seems like the computer always gets the exact dice rolls they want while avoiding all of my panels. There's some sort of trick here that I'm missing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
16-bit versus 32-bit comparisons from the beginning of the game, taken in RemoteJoy Lite

16-bit, followed by 32-bit:
16-bit-1.png
32-bit-1.png

16-bit-2.png
32-bit-2.png

16-bit-2.png
32-bit-2.png

The dithering is pretty noticeable in 16-bit mode. I haven't noticed any slowdown in 333Mhz 32-bit mode, playing off of an ISO copy on RemoteJoy Lite. Thus, I'd recommend the 32-bit mode.

Aeana

32-bit color seems to remove dithering entirely (especially noticeable on save points), which is quite a marvel for a PSP game.

Make sure to set the CPU speed to accelerated, also, as it removes all slowdown.

Bebpo

Banned
There's no point in not maxing everything to get the best experience.

I did:
-max data install
-32-bit
-333mhz

and I still got ~3 hours battery time per session on a PSP-1000 launch battery. Since I don't really play handheld games in sessions more than 1-2 hours at a time, it was never a problem.

Aeana

With those same settings, but playing from memory stick, I got a good 8-9 hours probably? I'm not actually sure since I tend to plug it in a lot, but I can say that I've played a little over 2 hours today without plugging it in and still have full bars on the battery indicator.

Went out and bought a PSP (used, 1000) and this game. It took Kingdom Hearts to finally push me over the edge. I'm enjoying it so far, although I've only just started playing. It seems like there's a lot going on with the gameplay systems, and I can definitely see myself spending an obscene amount of time with this game.

yencid

Crewnh said:
No, I haven't. I'll give it a try again with the hands. It just seems like the computer always gets the exact dice rolls they want while avoiding all of my panels. There's some sort of trick here that I'm missing.
the trick is the hand :p

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Why would you play 3 different save files at the same time? It's not like they visit all the worlds in the same order...

Shipping box from Amazon was ripped to hell. Compressed and ripped open on one side. Game case was bent and UMD was split in two :(.

Getting UPS to return it tomorrow and picked up a copy from GameStop. First time I've ever had problems with Amazon shipping.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just experienced three lockups in a row using RemoteJoy Lite and Prometheus firmware running off a self-ripped ISO copy on a PSP-1000 and attempting to save in a map. The first save in the tutorial segment worked fine and world map saves worked fine. Attempting to save inside a map worked fine without RemoteJoy Lite connected, but with it connected, instant lockup.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I hear that BBS doesn't play too nicely with CFW plugins.
Being a plugin, RemoteJoy would be the culprit, as you've find out.

Has anyone with CFW been able to complete the data install?
I tried on 3 memory sticks (two actual Pro Duos), and it fails with an error each time.

Not a big deal, I suppose, but still irksome.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Some initial thoughts. So far this game virtually fixed everything I had issues with in KH2's battle system (mainly about locking the cool stuff under forms that take forever to charge and end way too quickly). Decided to play with Ventus first, I felt more attached to him and
I think it's more interesting to go after Terra while having no clue what's going on with him

Proud mode, 333Mhz and 32-bit, game is smooth as hell. Died twice in the first boss until I abused Aqua's D-link and died a bit more against a mob at Castle of Dreams (mainly because I'm still not 100% used to some commands and I ended up making too many of them appear at once). Liking the difficulty so far considering it's possible to play KH2 on Proud with a single hand and your eyes closed. I'm actually feeling motivated to play with my resources and use everything that's at my disposal during every battle since filling bars is quick and the charge times are reasonable. I was worried about lack of enemies on screen but it's been good too.

I thought I'd be bored with the board thing while I was reading the instructions but it's surprisingly fun (after I changed the walking speed to fast). I actually almost won the second time I played the first board but Terra got Lucky right before my last round (I used the 3 dices hand and 1 gave me a 6 but the other two were 1 and 1, then he landed on the panel that takes you anywhere and won the game :lol).

Sooo many features that are fun to mess with, it's really the evolution of the ideas they've been toying around with the other games.

Playing on Critical with Terra. Was gonna play Ventus but Terra was first on the list so I just went by that order. Tried command board once but didn't have time to learn to play but I'll mess around with more later.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Installed, cranked up the settings and ready to go. This is my first KH game and it seems cool so far. I've been itching for a good RPG with a more action oriented combat system. :D

Aeana

Stumpokapow said:
I just experienced three lockups in a row using RemoteJoy Lite and Prometheus firmware running off a self-ripped ISO copy on a PSP-1000 and attempting to save in a map. The first save in the tutorial segment worked fine and world map saves worked fine. Attempting to save inside a map worked fine without RemoteJoy Lite connected, but with it connected, instant lockup.
As Mejilan says, it's probably a plugin. I've had no lockups after 10 hours of play with only CWCheat loaded for taking screenshots.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mejilan said:

Aeana said:
As Mejilan says, it's probably a plugin. I've had no lockups after 10 hours of play with only CWCheat loaded for taking screenshots.

It's definitely the RemoteJoy plugin, which is a bummer because it's impossible for two people to play a PSP without RemoteJoy, but I guess we'll just remember not to use save points with RJ connected.

The save lockup doesn't occur with the plugin turned on but the cable not connected, so no harm no foul.

After playing Ys Seven, Terra feels slow as shit and the camera feels like it's riding his ass. Kinda miss zoomed out view.

Otherwise having fun.

hamchan

Freyjadour said:
After playing Ys Seven, Terra feels slow as shit and the camera feels like it's riding his ass. Kinda miss zoomed out view.

Otherwise having fun.
Terra is indeed slow as shit, that's his style. Ven is supposed to be the fast one.

hamchan said:
Terra is indeed slow as shit, that's his style. Ven is supposed to be the fast one.

It's just the nature of Kingdom Hearts compared to the nature of Ys. Nothing wrong with one or the other, just jarring after Flash Guarding Mania.

Just beat the first boss playing as Terra. Critical is pretty hard but I leveled up some of the skills a bit and having the skill that makes enemies drop more health spheres helps a lot.

Is there a way to make blocking faster? seems like theres a huge delay when I press Square to when Terra actually blocks. Blocking animation is slow as hell too.

Jerk

Banned
Jeels said:
Gametrailers gave Birth by Sleep an 8.8, excellent score, and felt like the review really knew what it was talking about: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-kingdom-hearts/704138

Except for the part where they said that the writing was 'Excellent.'

I am sorry, but this shit is terrible. It is not SO4 terrible, but it is bad nevertheless.

Still a good score.

P.S. Am I the only one who really like's Aqua's VA? The entire cast is much better than I thought iit would be (still not quite up to KH standards) but she stands out.

Mejilan said:

Has anyone with CFW been able to complete the data install?
I tried on 3 memory sticks (two actual Pro Duos), and it fails with an error each time.

Not a big deal, I suppose, but still irksome.
i didn't have any plugins (i don't think) and data install didn't work.

Jerk 2.0 said:
Except for the part where they said that the writing was 'Excellent.'

I am sorry, but this shit is terrible. It is not SO4 terrible, but it is bad nevertheless.

Still a good score.

P.S. Am I the only one who really like's Aqua's VA? The entire cast is much better than I thought iit would be (still not quite up to KH standards) but she stands out.

1) Did you see GT's best stories for GOTY? :lol

2) Aqua's VA is pretty meh in the beginning and middle, other than a few parts where she's supposed to sound aggressive or confused/awkward.

Near the end she is great.

Edit: Apparently that was her VA's first time doing, well, voice acting. At least she gradually improved.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
1) Did you see GT's best stories for GOTY? :lol .

:lol :lol :lol, I did.

Fimbulvetr said:
Edit: Apparently that was her VA's first time doing, well, voice acting. At least she gradually improved.

Aha, this is what I like about the voice; it feels more natural and less produced(?).

Same reason why I liked Chie's VA in P4.

Resilient

Hesemonni said:
So, can I play this without having played ANY of the earlier Kingdom Hearts? :lol

Yeah, though I (and many others) would recommend playing them before hand, it would enhance the experience.

Managed to find it 2 days early in Australia! Hype get!!

Beat the boss of the first area with Terra. Gave me a little trouble (needed two tries), but I managed to pull it off.

Game is really fun so far. I'm getting the hang of playing around on the Command Board (which is a really cool feature), and I made my first meld. I still feel like there's a lot left to discover game play wise, but everything is really fun so far. Combat is definitely improved from past games.

just finished playing it in the multiplayer world trough ad hoc party <3

we could play it some time guys, its fun and it haves some exclusive bosses <3

jaxword

kyo_daikun said:
Still available? Im intrigued...

I'm sorry I missed your post, but it was already claimed by someone else by the time you posted. :(

However, if you are a S-E collector, I have other stuff you may like.

SoulFist

Terra's voice is driving me insane. Its like all nasally. Other then that the game seems very promising. So many cool attacks and what not. I can't wait to really dive in.

Jerk

Banned
SoulFist said:
Terra's voice is driving me insane. Its like all nasally. Other then that the game seems very promising. So many cool attacks and what not. I can't wait to really dive in.

You get used to it.

He as a character on the other hand...

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Just to confirm, I am once again reminded that getting a pspgo was one of my worst life decisions ever, right? As in not going to be on the PSN store anytime soon?

Picked this game up yesterday and I am really enjoying it. I haven't really been into a KH game since the original. I played the hell out of the first KH game and thoroughly enjoyed it. I never did finish KHII for some reason and I only stabbed at CoM and the DS days game or whatever. I am definitely not nut bag about these games, but I do generally enjoy playing them from time to time.

But holy shit are the gameplay improvements in this game awesome! I started on Critical Mode with Terra and I am 4 hours in with two worlds completed. At first it seemed pretty brutal, but once I started Melding Commands and grinding a bit the game clicked. I love all the combat systems in this game. Zero Gravity is the way to go on this mode so far! So awesome!

Kingsora

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just got the game. Will I be able to understand the story despite forgetting KH1 and KH2's story?

Kingsora

ULTROS! said:
Just got the game. Will I be able to understand the story despite forgetting KH1 and KH2's story?
Yes you will =)

Played a couple hours last night. Plays wonderfully and the combat system is great. Tried the command board once, it was ok. I'll give it another go later.

Really excellent Kingdom Hearts game!

CryptiK

The only thing that strikes me as off about this game is the lack of life in some of the environments. Take
Disney
In the town square it is completely empty..(the unversed do not spawn here) they could have added some extra Disney characters like Pluto etc...

Top Bottom