• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Jerk

Banned
StuBurns said:
Finished Vent's campaign, it's the best KH game so far, it's the best SE game this generation and it's the best action game on PSP.

It's great.

That is debatable, but the game is really damn good.

I nominate it as the second best SE game this gen.

snorggy said:
Sorry if this has been addressed... read the first few pages and didn't see anything...

Is this game n00b friendly? I've never played any of the other KH games so will the story make sense to me or will there be too many references to the previous games for me to fully appreciate it?

It's the first game chronologically so you should be fine.

Having played further in Terra's story, I'm wondering when Lucas will contact Nomura about certain similarities.:lol

Fimbulvetr said:
Really? He was pretty easy in 2.

Well, I remember struggling with him. Not as the hardest boss or anything like that, but I remember getting a bit frustrated with him until I finally took him down.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Having played further in Terra's story, I'm wondering when Lucas will contact Nomura about certain similarities.:lol

And yet, sadly, even with the bad writing of the KH series;
Terra's path to corruption is still more believable than Anakin's.

Quick question.

When you start with a new char do you begin back at level 1? Do you keep any abilities you have found in chests? That sort of thing?

Jerk

Banned
Terra is amazing in his stupidity.

I wish he would sit down for 2 secs and start thinking stuff through. He is literally juggling 3-4 different/opposing philosophies yet never questions anything; he seems to be completely immune to cognitive dissonance.

I have yet to finish his story, but I doubt he gets better.

duckroll

DualShadow said:
Quick question.

When you start with a new char do you begin back at level 1? Do you keep any abilities you have found in chests? That sort of thing?

You don't keep anything. Each character is independent, and you should keep multiple saves of different characters too, even after you beat them.

duckroll said:
You don't keep anywhere. Each character is independent, and you should keep multiple saves of different characters too, even after you beat them.

Yeah i plan on keeping multiple saves.

Just thought someone mentioned a central save so I thought maybe some things hung around, of course it makes sense that they don't. But Kingdom Hearts games aren't famous for making sense :lol

On that note, are there any missable items? Or can I go back and collect them as long as I have a save for that character?

Thanks

duckroll

DualShadow said:
On that note, are there any missable items? Or can I go back and collect them as long as I have a save for that character?

There are missable chests. I recommend getting all the chests you can from original (non-Disney) worlds the earliest you can access those worlds with a character, because sometimes the worlds aren't always available due to the story, and after the ending some of them aren't available anymore.

I'm getting serious TWEWY vibes from this game which I mean in the best way possible (is there any other way?)

I've only beaten the first two worlds as Terra on Critical, and it was only after being smoked by the first mob of Unversed (twice!) I realized how the battle system works. There's less focus on button mashing and automated reaction commands, and more on specialized fighting styles and abilities. I love experimenting with synthesizing new attacks, and how it's so conveniently tucked into the start menu. I don't usually like grinding in these games but it's fun seeing the new shit I can use.

The command board. After getting the hang of it, this is probably where I'm seeing similarities to TWEWY, as far as leveling up your abilities in a fun as hell addictive mini-game. It's like Monopoly on crack.

My experience with the game has been so limited but hot damn, this exceeds my expectations for sure. I might end up liking it more than the first game. Only real problem is the loading times. Jesus Christ.

So, I have two save files. The first is Ventus shortly before picking character, and the other is my current game as Terra. After I'm done with Terra's campaign I should just go back to Ventus' file?

Just reached the final boss on Critical with Terra at LV32 and I NEARLY killed him. It's pretty tough. Definitely the hardest fight on Critical Mode so far, naturally. You pretty much HAVE to guard counter his attacks or you get steamrolled by his combos. I gave up after like 15 attempts and went back to grind out some levels/auto abilities.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE how you learn abilities in this game. I cannot stress it enough how much I am actually enjoying the gameplay side of this game. It's waaaay too addicting. By the way, for those looking to max out abilities and learn auto abilities quickly, max out your D-Link with Experiment 626 so you have his Double CP learned. Go to the latest area (for Terra I've been chillaxin' at Neverland) and fight to your hearts content. The upper right corner of the screen receives a very nice workout, if you know what I mean :lol

Peff

duckroll said:
There are missable chests. I recommend getting all the chests you can from original (non-Disney) worlds the earliest you can access those worlds with a character, because sometimes the worlds aren't always available due to the story, and after the ending some of them aren't available anymore.

Apparently they fixed this for the English version
you can return to the Land of Departure and get the chests any time

Reknoc

Just put this in right now and installing. Between this and Dissidia S-E have the best install screens for PSP games.

duckroll

Peff said:
Apparently they fixed this for the English version
you can return to the Land of Departure and get the chests any time

I don't think they fixed the one that is the MOST annoying though. In the final world, there are some chests in the area before the final boss. If you finish the game and overwrite a clear save, when you return to the final world, it's a completely different area where you can choose to fight the original secret boss. There is no way to return to the actual final world area where the chests are.

Did they fix this too?

Peff

duckroll said:
I don't think they fixed the one that is the MOST annoying though. In the final world, there are some chests in the area before the final boss. If you finish the game and overwrite a clear save, when you return to the final world, it's a completely different area where you can choose to fight the original secret boss. There is no way to return to the actual final world area where the chests are.

Did they fix this too?

Yes, you can choose between the last save point or the area with the secret boss. Not only that, I think
now you no longer have to finish the game again when you get a Xehanort report, Last Episode is unlocked whenever you get the last one

Some pics from the SE, it's not bad but not really worth the extra price. If only it had the soundtrack...

http://imgur.com/UaLBo
http://imgur.com/EXOEB.jpg
http://imgur.com/hybxu.jpg

Also, family pic :D

StuBurns

Banned
Jerk 2.0 said:
That is debatable, but the game is really damn good.

I nominate it as the second best SE game this gen.
All of those statements are debatable. And in fact, I've only played the three 'normal' KHs games, so if the cell phone one, the DS one, the GBA one or it's PS2 port are the best of the series, I can't really say, and I certainly haven't played all of SEs titles this generation. Just looked at the list, I've heard good things about Nier, I guess that might be better, but I doubt it.

What are you putting top?

StuBurns said:
All of those statements are debatable. And in fact, I've only played the three 'normal' KHs games, so if the cell phone one, the DS one, the GBA one or it's PS2 port are the best of the series, I can't really say, and I certainly haven't played all of SEs titles this generation. Just looked at the list, I've heard good things about Nier, I guess that might be better, but I doubt it.

I'm currently debating whether I prefer this game or TWEWY.

CryptiK

I wish they made the shoulder buttons to change what command to use it shits me that I have to take my finger off the stick to switch teh command it stuffs me up a lot.

StuBurns

Banned
CryptiK said:
I wish they made the shoulder buttons to change what command to use it shits me that I have to take my finger off the stick to switch teh command it stuffs me up a lot.
Unless you're getting your ass handed to you and need to select curaga or mega-potion or whatever, what are you needing to move around the list for? Don't you just set it up to get a specific command style? Mine is set up so I just hit triangle to get Fever Pitch then Wingblade for example.

StuBurns said:
Unless you're getting your ass handed to you and need to select curaga or mega-potion or whatever, what are you needing to move around the list for? Don't you just set it up to get a specific command style? Mine is set up so I just hit triangle to get Fever Pitch then Wingblade for example.
I really need to get further into the game so I can start pulling off stuff like this :D

StuBurns

Banned
badcrumble said:
I really need to get further into the game so I can start pulling off stuff like this :D
When I said "just hit triangle", I didn't mean once, I have to go thru three or four to get Fever Pitch then one or two to get Wingblade. But Wingblade is very cool.

StuBurns said:
When I said "just hit triangle", I didn't mean once, I have to go thru three or four to get Fever Pitch then one or two to get Wingblade. But Wingblade is very cool.
I'm still astonished at how much more variety this game has in its gameplay compared to the previous KH games. It's just mind-blowingly well-designed.

StuBurns said:

The Last Remnant presumably. SE didn't develop Nier, but I'd also take that over KH easily.

StuBurns

Banned
iconoclast said:
The Last Remnant presumably. SE didn't develop Nier, but I'd also take that over KH easily.
I didn't specify developed, so I thought he could have meant Nier. I thought TLR was pretty lame, but I only played a few hours, and of the 360 version, I heard the PC version is the one to play, so maybe I'll give it another try at some point.

Diablos54

Just about to start this, and I'm not sure who to use first (I'm guessing I have a choice?). GAF has managed to get my expectations up so I can't wait to stop watching and start playing. :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Diablos54 said:
Just about to start this, and I'm not sure who to use first (I'm guessing I have a choice?). GAF has managed to get my expectations up so I can't wait to stop watching and start playing. :D

Terra.

Shuusui

My wife is loving the hell out of both the PSP and the BBS. Cannot wait to tackle this game.

And.... wow is it gorgeous.

duckroll

Peff said:
Yes, you can choose between the last save point or the area with the secret boss. Not only that, I think
now you no longer have to finish the game again when you get a Xehanort report, Last Episode is unlocked whenever you get the last one

That's pretty cool, it sounds like they made some solid improvements on minor problems the original version had. Final Mix incoming in 3...2...1....

Diablos54 said:
Terra -> Ven -> Aqua

Diablos54 said:
I was gonna go with Aqua, but since you said Terra I'll go with him. What's the main differences bewteen the three characters though?

Their skills, story and combat style. Terra plays like Cloud from FF Dissidia (slow heavy hits), Ven like Sora (nible fast combo attacks) and Aqua is a Mage (magic).

Story wise go for Terra or Ven first, pick Aqua last as her story spoils Ven's. I went Ven - Terra and not knowing Terra's story first made Ven's more enjoyable for me.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, One Piece Gigant Battle, Halo Reach, Phantasy Star Portable 2, then Naruto Ninja Storm 2 next month! Seems ill be busy for the rest of the year :lol

Right now I'm playing with Terra on Critical Mode, I lost to Zacks second form about 50 times before learning how to avoid his freaking omni slash like attack using shoot lock max each time as he charges the attack. :D

syoaran

Despite being unemployed right now - I've so tempted to rush out and get a PSP to play this (and a few other great PSP games that came out recently). Urgh! Patience!

Pancho

Qurupancho
So what's the best order to play the game? I started out with Aqua but I got my ass kicked against
Venitas
2nd encounter. The whole command deck still doesn't click with me, and I'm thinking of restarting the game but with someone else. So, what's the best order, storywise? Also some tips about the command deck would be very appreciated :D

Pancho said:
So what's the best order to play the game? I started out with Aqua but I got my ass kicked against
Venitas
2nd encounter. The whole command deck still doesn't click with me, and I'm thinking of restarting the game but with someone else. So, what's the best order, storywise? Also some tips about the command deck would be very appreciated :D
Terra > Ventus > Aqua

Pancho

Qurupancho
BlazingDarkness said:
Terra > Ventus > Aqua

Ok, thanks. And any tips regarding commands? I don't know how to explain it but, I feel like I'm playing the game "wrong". There's so many attacks that I don't know what to do with them >_<

Edit: And good God! Aqua's VA's so bad:lol

Foffy

Banned
Diablos54 said:
I'm glad I decided to choose Proud mode, it meant that the first boss battle was actually a challenge. :lol

Do you mean Terra's? Yeah, that was striking to me. He seems to have the hardest first boss amongst the cast.

Also, does anyone know what Ventus' final slide command is? I got all of the rest except the last one listed in the command compendium, which is just a question mark.

Terra is one gullible/naive/dumb fuck.

If Axel said there was light in his cock and Terra had to suck it to protect he'd be on his knees in a heartbeat.

Nearly have all of Terra's abilities maxed, got all of his commands, magic, need one more block action.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey, so I have a fairly complex question that I guess only people who played thru the Japanese version will really have had enough time with the game to know, but maybe I'm wrong.

I finished Vent's campaign, but I played more of him to find out how I wanted to build his stats from the start because after playing thru Aqua, then Terra, I plan to play thru with Vent again on the hardest difficult, then I think I'll probably be done with the game.

I want the quickest route to Fever Pitch then Wingblade, and I think I've got that down as far as the battle commands go, I can do it 90% of the time (technically 100% but only when I don't play in a certain manner), however I need a LV6 finish command that doesn't affect my chances of getting Wingblade, and preferably doesn't require any button presses like the Surprise finishers do. Right now I'm using Explosion which is only a LV5 command. I'm not going to bother this time, but for when I get back around I'd like to know the best route thru the finisher tree so I don't have a finisher that affects Wingblade and doesn't require button presses. Any ideas?

Peff

I'm not sure of what you're asking exactly (since if I'm not mistaken getting a finisher means you didn't fulfill the conditions for the first Style Command in the first place), but the only commands that don't require button presses or add elemental stuff with Ven are the Air Flair series. The first two are obtained by getting enough CP, the next one two are after walking x steps and the level 6 Finisher is obtained by killing enough enemies from Air Flair 4

Top Bottom